2022-2023 California Health Sciences University College of Osteopathic Medicine (CHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone, is the school just strictly private loans? I am thinking about financing med school (tuition, living, etc) completely in loans. Federal loans would be nice since i was thinking of doing a PSLF route in repaying the loans later on. I dont know if there are programs through private loans that offer something similar like PSLF.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, is the school just strictly private loans? I am thinking about financing med school (tuition, living, etc) completely in loans. Federal loans would be nice since i was thinking of doing a PSLF route in repaying the loans later on. I dont know if there are programs through private loans that offer something similar like PSLF.
Yes currently it is since it’s not accredited yet.

Yes! For now it is. They said that they are going through the process for 1. Accreditation and 2. Getting federal aid for students. As things change, they’ll update students for process on how to get federal loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
withdrew my A, hope it goes to one of you!!

• Care
withdrew my acceptance, hopefully a spot opened up for one of y'all! good luck <333

• Care
Hello everyone, just got my acceptance. I am torn now. I have an acceptance out of state but I currently live in Southern and would really want to stay here. The only drawback is that the school only has private loan options. I have no financial support from anyone and most likely will rely on loans for everything. I was hoping to max out my loans through federal loans and do a PSLF repayment system if i do choose to go OOS. Now that CHSU gave me a call of acceptance, I dont know if any private loan companies offer something close or similar to a repayment plan like PSLF.

My greatest fear is paying back the loans particularly if (worst comes to worst i do not match and have 500k in debt) its federal loans, they could not really force me to pay back since i can enter an income driven repayment plan. If there are private loans that are similar pls let me know.

Received an II on friday for an interview tomorrow. That was the only date that appeared for me. what should I expect?

I am in the same exact boat. Trying to figure it out and I have to do it in the next couple of weeks bc I choose OOS I have to leave very soon.
Hello everyone, just got my acceptance. I am torn now. I have an acceptance out of state but I currently live in Southern and would really want to stay here. The only drawback is that the school only has private loan options. I have no financial support from anyone and most likely will rely on loans for everything. I was hoping to max out my loans through federal loans and do a PSLF repayment system if i do choose to go OOS. Now that CHSU gave me a call of acceptance, I dont know if any private loan companies offer something close or similar to a repayment plan like PSLF.

My greatest fear is paying back the loans particularly if (worst comes to worst i do not match and have 500k in debt) its federal loans, they could not really force me to pay back since i can enter an income driven repayment plan. If there are private loans that are similar pls let me know.

withdrew my acceptance, hopefully a spot opened up for one of y'all! good luck <333
You're the third or fourth person I see withdrew recently, may I ask if it was bc you have an other offer or did it have to do anything with the private loans?

I am in the same exact boat. Trying to figure it out and I have to do it in the next couple of weeks bc I choose OOS I have to leave very soon.
Visiting the campus today. Hopefully it can help me make up my mind and lets me justify that 400k of private loan debt is worth it.

Visiting the campus today. Hopefully it can help me make up my mind and lets me justify that 400k of private loan debt is worth it.
please correct me if I am wrong: but CHSU will most likely be accredited next year because their first class will graduate into residency, right? of course there is a chance that they will not become accredited because of some issue, but I think that’s pretty rare. so it would only be 1 year of private loans?

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the call!!! i've been waitlisted since september and received a status update email yesterday

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, declined the offer today. I will say for those concerned about private loans, I was denied private loans for another school so yes, definitely does happen and something to consider. Wishing you all luck wherever you end up and hoping some of you waiting get good news soon!

Last edited:
Hi all, denied the offer today. I will say for those concerned about private loans, I was denied private loans for another school so yes, definitely does happen and something to consider. Wishing you all luck wherever you end up and hoping some of you waiting get good news soon!
I’m sure the decision wasn’t easy, best of luck with wherever you decide to go!

I haven’t gotten an acceptance yet, but I am definitely concerned about the loans as I have an acceptance at an accredited school. Would love to stay in California though so it’s very hard to figure out what to do.

I haven’t gotten an acceptance yet, but I am definitely concerned about the loans as I have an acceptance at an accredited school. Would love to stay in California though so it’s very hard to figure out what to do.
I'm torn since i am in this exact situation but 😭. What makes matters worse, i signed an apartment contract already OOS

• Care
I'm torn since i am in this exact situation but 😭. What makes matters worse, i signed an apartment contract already OOS
I also was already set for my OOS school. Signed lease, hired cross country movers lol etc. so I was really hoping to stay in cali but it was too little too late. I’m very happy with the other school I chose. I figure I’ll be back for residency 🤞🏼

• Care
I also was already set for my OOS school. Signed lease, hired cross country movers lol etc. so I was really hoping to stay in cali but it was too little too late. I’m very happy with the other school I chose. I figure I’ll be back for residency 🤞🏼
Where did you end up going? If you dont mind me asking

is anyone else worried about the chance that chsu does not get accredited next year?

Is the possibility of getting fed loans this year or next year a real possibility ? or is the school just saying that it will to every that asks to sell the school more.

When I interviewed…they mentioned that private loans can be turned into federal loans for the previous 2 years before accreditation. Not sure if that’s correct… all they have said, even in the last week, is that they are waiting to get the green light on public loans and are expecting it to happen sometime this year.

You're the third or fourth person I see withdrew recently, may I ask if it was bc you have an other offer or did it have to do anything with the private loans?
i withdrew because i received an MD offer a few days later ~ i definitely loved the vibe of CHSU, but I may want to go into a competitive speciality so better to keep my options open / with CHSU not having a match list yet, I didn't want to take a risk ~ the school looks promising though and I only had positive impressions from my interview day at CHSU!!

got the call today! so so grateful for the opportunity to stay close to home.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Currently in your shoes. I was accepted yesterday and I'm really concerned about private loans, it may be the only thing holding me back tbh. I do have an acceptance at another DO program but their class is full so they offered me a seat for next year. Don't know what to do and I have two days to decide.

Currently in your shoes. I was accepted yesterday and I'm really concerned about private loans, it may be the only thing holding me back tbh. I do have an acceptance at another DO program but their class is full so they offered me a seat for next year. Don't know what to do and I have two days to decide.
I ended up going with CHSU, but I definitely struggled to make the discussion and took almost the full 48 hours. I think at the end of the day, you have to go with your gut feeling.

I will say that I did talk to some people I know who go to CHSU, and they did not seem worried at all about accreditation and federal aid (they even mentioned the school might qualify for federal aid this school year before official accreditation).

Either way, good luck :)

Has anybody from the last interview on 6/27 heard back yet?

I just got a call and was offered an acceptance after receiving an R from here post-II in February. Has this ever happened before?? I am in shock.

• Wow
I decided I will not be attending CHSU. I hope my seat goes to someone else out there waiting to get off the waitlist. Good luck to you all!

I just got a call and was offered an acceptance after receiving an R from here post-II in February. Has this ever happened before?? I am in shock.
congrats!!!! I do know that ATSU KCOM also called a few people for interviews after they'd already rejected them! It seems like a lot of DO programs have really sudden withdrawals later in the cycle.

I ended up going with CHSU, but I definitely struggled to make the discussion and took almost the full 48 hours. I think at the end of the day, you have to go with your gut feeling.

I will say that I did talk to some people I know who go to CHSU, and they did not seem worried at all about accreditation and federal aid (they even mentioned the school might qualify for federal aid this school year before official accreditation).

Either way, good luck :)
Thanks, I went with my gut and will not be attending CHSU. I just couldn't bring myself to accept the idea of private loan interest on top of the projected $72k costs. I also asked them about federal loans and they said they're hoping next year but could be two more years so I just didn't feel like risking it.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, I went with my gut and will not be attending CHSU. I just couldn't bring myself to accept the idea of private loan interest on top of the projected $72k costs. I also asked them about federal loans and they said they're hoping next year but could be two more years so I just didn't feel like risking it.
Congrats on making your decision!! Best of luck on your journey through medical school.

Interviewed with this last group and got waitlisted 🥲🥲 but they said to make preparations just in case for housing/financial aid/orientation?? How does anyone prepare for housing when you don’t know if you’re going or not

Hey guys! For all those who got accepted, did anyone ever get a call on the weekend? If so, around what time?

Does anybody know how likely it is to move off the waitlist after the “one of the next students” status update! Esp during this time when it’s near orientation lol

Does anybody know how likely it is to move off the waitlist after the “one of the next students” status update! Esp during this time when it’s near orientation lol
I got the call about 2 weeks later. I believe I saw someone earlier on this thread who got the call a couple of days after the email.

I got this email last week of June and got the call a couple days later! Good luck to you :)