2022-2023 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had the group session on 11/11 and we were told that decisions take 3-4 weeks to get out. This Friday will be 4 weeks so... :scared:
Yeah 11/10 here, no word yet

Members don't see this ad.

Has there been a GroupMe and/or a discord for the incoming class yet? If not, should I create one?

About how long does it take to hear back after your interview with a decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
the sandlot GIF

Interviewed 11/10 and I still know nothing.
Was 11/10 the group interview or your kira?

Has there been a GroupMe and/or a discord for the incoming class yet? If not, should I create one?
There is a Facebook group for the incoming class.

Reactions: 1 user
I paid the initial $750 deposit and got the confirmed email receipt but on my accepted student portal it still says “Not Met” status for the initial payment. Anyone else having this issue?

I paid the initial $750 deposit and got the confirmed email receipt but on my accepted student portal it still says “Not Met” status for the initial payment. Anyone else having this issue?
I also paid today. Takes a few minutes too load, just log in and out and it'll pop up :)

I also paid today. Takes a few minutes too load, just log in and out and it'll pop up :)

I tried logging out and logging back in and it still says “Not Met” 🥲 maybe because I paid after the admissions office closed for the day? Idk I guess I’ll email them

Was the accepted students day helpful/worth traveling out of state for?
I think so. Coming from oregon it was useful to just see the Midwest and the area. New campus looks amazing and the opportunities there seem awesome.

Does anyone know how DMU accommodates for housing on away rotations?
You are on your own for this. I'm a current 2nd-year here and we have recently had a few meetings about the rotations process and it is quite complicated. Long story short, not everyone will be staying in Des Moines for their 3rd-year rotations. You will be responsible for figuring out and securing your housing wherever you end up. Away rotations typically refer to 1-month rotations away from your standard site. Accommodations for these rotations are not typically determined by the home university, but rather by the host site. Some have housing, some people stay with friends, family, or even mutual connections.

I'm open to all questions related to DMU, rotations and otherwise!

Reactions: 2 users
You are on your own for this. I'm a current 2nd-year here and we have recently had a few meetings about the rotations process and it is quite complicated. Long story short, not everyone will be staying in Des Moines for their 3rd-year rotations. You will be responsible for figuring out and securing your housing wherever you end up. Away rotations typically refer to 1-month rotations away from your standard site. Accommodations for these rotations are not typically determined by the home university, but rather by the host site. Some have housing, some people stay with friends, family, or even mutual connections.

I'm open to all questions related to DMU, rotations and otherwise!
how do 3rd year rotations work if you get placed outside Des Moines? Are you there for your entire 3rd/4th year? Does DMU help cover relocation expenses associated with that? Also, does DMU help you pay for USMLE? (by pay I mean at least offer more loans) Thanks a lot!!!!

how do 3rd year rotations work if you get placed outside Des Moines? Are you there for your entire 3rd/4th year? Does DMU help cover relocation expenses associated with that? Also, does DMU help you pay for USMLE? (by pay I mean at least offer more loans) Thanks a lot!!!!
Most DO schools you’ll find only allot loan money in their COA for COMLEX, at least the ones I applied to last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from the 11/17 interviewing group heard back yet? It's taking them longer than anticipating this round.

Anyone from the 11/17 interviewing group heard back yet? It's taking them longer than anticipating this round.
Still haven't heard anything :( group interview was on 11/11.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed 11/17 and was waitlisted last week

• Care
Getting placed outside of Des Moines means that will be your site for all of 3rd year and then 4th year it kind of depends on what your end goal is. During 3rd year there are core rotations that everyone is required to complete. These include 2 family medicine, Ob/Gyn, Psych, Gen Surg, EM, Peds, Internal Med, and then you essentially have 2 electives, one is a medicine or surgery selective and the other is a true elective (either way you get to do pretty much whatever you want for those last 2 as long as your site has it). All of these rotations are 4wks except the electives could be 2 2wk rotations if you choose.

4th year is when things can change for people. In the summer/fall you will do audition rotations in the specialty that you think you want to match into. If you are looking at something less competitive, people often only do 2-3 of these, but if you are looking at something very competitive, you could do as many as 7 if your schedule allows. DMU, at the moment, has no restrictions on the number of auditions you do, or the number of rotations you do in a specific specialty. The only other requirement for 4th year is a rotation covering a rural or underserved population in primary care. Some people push EM to 4th year but it does have to be completed at some point before you are finished at DMU. So during 4th year, you end up moving around ALOT during 4th year and then the spring can be spent at the site you did your 3rd yr rotations at. There is also 8wks of mandatory vacation during 4th yr to be taken at the discretion of the student.

There is another option to set up your own rotations, but that is another conversation. This is the route I went, so if you have questions about this, hit me in my DMs.

As far as funding goes, there is no specific allocation for relocating or for board exams. The school does have a subsidy for some board preparation materials of $230 (lol). I just paid and registered for USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX Level 1. Both were put on my credit card for a grand total of $1375 (sadness), but will be paid for with my loans that will be disbursed next semester. It's all about finding space in your budget for these expenses.

The nice thing about relocation is that our rotations don't start until the end of the 1st week of august so there is usually only a couple of weeks (up to a month) of overlap in rent between Des Moines and the place you will be rotating at. They can't give relocation expenses or factor it into COA because some students will be staying in DSM and would not need that expense. The COA calculation is the same for all students.

I believe that you will run into a very similar rotation situation at most DO schools. Many do not have a school-affiliated hospital and the clinics in the area just don't have the space for as many students as DO classes typically have. A lot of people get stressed about the process, but once they are at their site and in their rotations they have a great time.

I am also only a lowly 2nd year, so this is all I know based on the information we have been given.

Hope this helps!

Getting placed outside of Des Moines means that will be your site for all of 3rd year and then 4th year it kind of depends on what your end goal is. During 3rd year there are core rotations that everyone is required to complete. These include 2 family medicine, Ob/Gyn, Psych, Gen Surg, EM, Peds, Internal Med, and then you essentially have 2 electives, one is a medicine or surgery selective and the other is a true elective (either way you get to do pretty much whatever you want for those last 2 as long as your site has it). All of these rotations are 4wks except the electives could be 2 2wk rotations if you choose.

4th year is when things can change for people. In the summer/fall you will do audition rotations in the specialty that you think you want to match into. If you are looking at something less competitive, people often only do 2-3 of these, but if you are looking at something very competitive, you could do as many as 7 if your schedule allows. DMU, at the moment, has no restrictions on the number of auditions you do, or the number of rotations you do in a specific specialty. The only other requirement for 4th year is a rotation covering a rural or underserved population in primary care. Some people push EM to 4th year but it does have to be completed at some point before you are finished at DMU. So during 4th year, you end up moving around ALOT during 4th year and then the spring can be spent at the site you did your 3rd yr rotations at. There is also 8wks of mandatory vacation during 4th yr to be taken at the discretion of the student.

There is another option to set up your own rotations, but that is another conversation. This is the route I went, so if you have questions about this, hit me in my DMs.

As far as funding goes, there is no specific allocation for relocating or for board exams. The school does have a subsidy for some board preparation materials of $230 (lol). I just paid and registered for USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX Level 1. Both were put on my credit card for a grand total of $1375 (sadness), but will be paid for with my loans that will be disbursed next semester. It's all about finding space in your budget for these expenses.

The nice thing about relocation is that our rotations don't start until the end of the 1st week of august so there is usually only a couple of weeks (up to a month) of overlap in rent between Des Moines and the place you will be rotating at. They can't give relocation expenses or factor it into COA because some students will be staying in DSM and would not need that expense. The COA calculation is the same for all students.

I believe that you will run into a very similar rotation situation at most DO schools. Many do not have a school-affiliated hospital and the clinics in the area just don't have the space for as many students as DO classes typically have. A lot of people get stressed about the process, but once they are at their site and in their rotations they have a great time.

I am also only a lowly 2nd year, so this is all I know based on the information we have been given.

Hope this helps!
2 follow-up questions:
If you are placed outside of Des Moines, do you usually have a central site where most rotations are, or do you have to travel to different locations for each rotation? If the second is true, who sets up your rotations, the student, DMU, or some combo?

Hey y'all I have decided to withdraw my acceptance from DMUCOM today and I hope it goes to one of y'all! Good luck!!

2 follow-up questions:
If you are placed outside of Des Moines, do you usually have a central site where most rotations are, or do you have to travel to different locations for each rotation? If the second is true, who sets up your rotations, the student, DMU, or some combo?
There are two outcomes if you are not in DSM. All sites in DSM are "year-long" sites at which you will complete all of your rotations.

The first is a year-long site that is not in DSM. These sites will cover all of core rotations that are required for year 3.

Option 2 is the central-Iowa cohort. In this situation, there are several clinics that have agreements with DMU to host students. These can be up to 75mi away from the DSM area. In this situation, each rotation will most likely be in a different city, although it is possible to get consecutive rotations at the same site. In the central-IA cohort it is also likely that you will have at least 1 "out" or "away" rotation. These are not auditions, it is just simply what DMU calls any rotation that is greater than 120mi away. Some of the specialties like Ob/Gyn are harder to place students into/there just aren't enough slots. For these rotations, DMU uses a 3rd party company to place students.

One caveat to the central-IA cohort is that you are able to schedule "supplemental" rotations. If you have connections with a physician that is not at one of DMU's contracted sites, you can get an agreement to rotate with them instead of DMU coordinating a rotation for you in that specialty. It is my understanding that you can have as many of these "supplementals" as you are able to facilitate, but there is a fairly short timeline for doing so and you might want to have these contacts prepared ahead of time. This is not an option if you get placed at a year-long site (in DSM or elsewhere).

In any case, each student is assigned a coordinator that is on staff in the clinical affairs office. This coordinator will facilitate all rotations for you whether you have a year-long site or are in the central-IA cohort. They will also facilitate any supplementals by providing you with the requirements and paperwork necessary.

There are two outcomes if you are not in DSM. All sites in DSM are "year-long" sites at which you will complete all of your rotations.

The first is a year-long site that is not in DSM. These sites will cover all of core rotations that are required for year 3.

Option 2 is the central-Iowa cohort. In this situation, there are several clinics that have agreements with DMU to host students. These can be up to 75mi away from the DSM area. In this situation, each rotation will most likely be in a different city, although it is possible to get consecutive rotations at the same site. In the central-IA cohort it is also likely that you will have at least 1 "out" or "away" rotation. These are not auditions, it is just simply what DMU calls any rotation that is greater than 120mi away. Some of the specialties like Ob/Gyn are harder to place students into/there just aren't enough slots. For these rotations, DMU uses a 3rd party company to place students.

One caveat to the central-IA cohort is that you are able to schedule "supplemental" rotations. If you have connections with a physician that is not at one of DMU's contracted sites, you can get an agreement to rotate with them instead of DMU coordinating a rotation for you in that specialty. It is my understanding that you can have as many of these "supplementals" as you are able to facilitate, but there is a fairly short timeline for doing so and you might want to have these contacts prepared ahead of time. This is not an option if you get placed at a year-long site (in DSM or elsewhere).

In any case, each student is assigned a coordinator that is on staff in the clinical affairs office. This coordinator will facilitate all rotations for you whether you have a year-long site or are in the central-IA cohort. They will also facilitate any supplementals by providing you with the requirements and paperwork necessary.
Thanks so much!

Popping in this thread after a long silence.

They emailed me trying to gauge my interest. Is this an indication of interview based on past posts? Thank you!

They emailed me trying to gauge my interest. Is this an indication of interview based on past posts? Thank you!
I think so - some people have put down deposits elsewhere by now and they want to know if you would accept an interview if offered- good luck!

+1, I was put on hold before. Praying for an II 🙏🏼

+1, I was put on hold before. Praying for an II 🙏🏼
Received it as well! I wonder how many of us got that email. Wishing luck to all of us for the II!

Received it as well! I wonder how many of us got that email. Wishing luck to all of us for the II!
+1 In the same email they told me my file was finally complete which I didn't even realize that it wasn't. I've had everything in since August.

+1 In the same email they told me my file was finally complete which I didn't even realize that it wasn't. I've had everything in since August.
That's interesting! So you hadn't received any communication from them until you received that email?

Hey guys, I’ve started a GroupMe for those who don’t have/use Facebook:

You're invited to my new group 'DMU Class of 2027' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone! Also got the A via text today. Group Interview was on 11/10

Also got the A today! Group interview was 11/10

Edit: fixed group interview date

Last edited:
That's interesting! So you hadn't received any communication from them until you received that email?

Yep! Thought they were just holding onto my file to see if they wanted to offer an interview or not. Hopefully we hear something soon!

Anyone know when they might send out another batch of interviews? I haven't been keeping up with how often they do so or if it has just seemed random.

got the A! How do I pay the deposit? I do not see anywhere I can do that! Also how many days do we have to pay it?

got the A! How do I pay the deposit? I do not see anywhere I can do that! Also how many days do we have to pay it?
I also got the A today and you would pay the deposit on their secondary portal. It might take a while for it to pop up but you'll see "Action Required" under Status on your app. You can see all the outstanding items on the "Supplemental Items & Documents" tab.

Half of the deposit is due on 1/13.

Last edited:
I also got the A today and you would pay the deposit on their secondary portal. It might take a while for it to pop up but you'll see "Action Required" under Status on your app. You can see all the outstanding items on the "Supplemental Items & Documents" tab.

Half of the deposit is due on 1/13.
Hey it still has not popped up yet. Should I be concerned?

Hey it still has not popped up yet. Should I be concerned?
They did say that it may take up to 3 business days for it to populate, so prob not but you can always email

II received just now.
Secondary: 10/20
II: 12/19

Reactions: 4 users