2022-2023 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh and for the homies next cycle:
II date: 11/08. Interview: 2/09. A: 3/08

Members don't see this ad.

I already had their school in my FAFSA list before the interview. It’s been a while now. Also been over a week since my A…
same... i submitted mine and it was processed back in January and I have not heard anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I already had their school in my FAFSA list before the interview. It’s been a while now. Also been over a week since my A…

found this on the financial aid page of the website:

“Once your FAFSA has been received and reviewed, financial aid awards will be offered. Students can expect their initial award notification emails to be sent in mid to late April. You will be notified by email that your awards are offered and ready to be accepted or declined.”

hope this helps!

When they say financial aid awards will be offered do they mean loans or does KCU give out a lot of scholarships too?

Did yall receive a deposit email confirmation from them after putting in the acceptance deposit?

also for the two scholarship essays, is there a word limit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did yall receive a deposit email confirmation from them after putting in the acceptance deposit?

also for the two scholarship essays, is there a word limit?
I didn't get a confirmation email, but the next day the portal showed they received it. (same portal as the scholarship essays)

Also +1 on the word limit question. From what I can tell there isn't one, but I'm not sure. I tried copying and pasting a lot of text in the box to see if I could figure that out, and I didn't get an error message, but I didn't try to submit it

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't get a confirmation email, but the next day the portal showed they received it. (same portal as the scholarship essays)

Also +1 on the word limit question. From what I can tell there isn't one, but I'm not sure. I tried copying and pasting a lot of text in the box to see if I could figure that out, and I didn't get an error message, but I didn't try to submit it
Yeh I submitted it yesterday. Doesn’t seem to have a small word count. I think mine were like 400-600 words. Thanks tho

if anyone has any questions regarding kcu send me a pm! 2nd year here at KC campus

Does anyone know when (estimate) people on the waitlist will see the “still interested” survey on workday? And how long it’s available for? Want to make sure I don’t miss it

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when (estimate) people on the waitlist will see the “still interested” survey on workday? And how long it’s available for? Want to make sure I don’t miss it

Also for those on the waitlist, does it say so when you log into the portal? Mine doesn’t have any status despite receiving a WL email

How did y’all create your workday account? did y’all get an email or clicked create account?

How did y’all create your workday account? did y’all get an email or clicked create account?

After your interview they send out a link to create an account. It took a couple days for me to get the email.

Also for those on the waitlist, does it say so when you log into the portal? Mine doesn’t have any status despite receiving a WL email
Same. Doesn’t have waitlist status on workday, just the email

could any of the current students post a sample timeline of exams and stuff or sample of what their schedule looks like / looked like first year

could any of the current students post a sample timeline of exams and stuff or sample of what their schedule looks like / looked like first year
this was the first year schedule this year.

Attachments

• OMSI COM2026 GBS 2022.07.06_RSR.pdf
    85.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Love
What is ECOSI?
Its basically the class where you learn how to be a doctor. All of the OMM as well as physical exam skills, etc. Typically if you are in say MSK you will learn how to do MSK physical exams in ECOSI class. It is also where you have OMM practicals and your standardized patient encounters.

• Love
Thank you for sharing that. Just curious - how often is anatomy lab and OMM? How often are you on campus for mandatory classes? Thanks!
anatomy and OMM labs are at least once a week and those are mandatory and then we'll have social determinate of health and bioethics mandatory lectures every couple of months.

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t think any of us could put the official one on here, but expect to receive one a month before school starts.
Generally, your orientation will be 2 weeks.
Most of your exams will be 3 week sections with two for each block. The exceptions are neuro (9 weeks) and scientific foundations (4 weeks). Each one will hit you different, and you will have to adapt your study schedule. All of this is explained well in orientation where you will get at least 10 firehouse references.
But yeah, you work through each science block alongside your clinical skills. Holiday breaks are refreshing and you should actively use them.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t think any of us could put the official one on here, but expect to receive one a month before school starts.
Generally, your orientation will be 2 weeks.
Most of your exams will be 3 week sections with two for each block. The exceptions are neuro (9 weeks) and scientific foundations (4 weeks). Each one will hit you different, and you will have to adapt your study schedule. All of this is explained well in orientation where you will get at least 10 firehouse references.
But yeah, you work through each science block alongside your clinical skills. Holiday breaks are refreshing and you should actively use them.
what are all of the classes called that you take in first year? are there ethics classes and stuff?

Can any current students give advice on the med kit the school recommends buying. Do most students purchase the $1000 bundle the school offers? The ophthalmoscope is $700 and a $175 stethoscope, I hear students at other schools save money and buy cheaper instruments elsewhere. Any advice?

• Care
Can any current students give advice on the med kit the school recommends buying. Do most students purchase the $1000 bundle the school offers? The ophthalmoscope is $700 and a $175 stethoscope, I hear students at other schools save money and buy cheaper instruments elsewhere. Any advice?
buy it online through amazon or something- dont waste your money. or upperclassmen will sell theirs soon.

Don't buy the kit from the school - you can definitely get by with the cheaper versions of things. The only thing I would invest in is a good stethoscope.

I bought mine from a 3rd year when i was a 1st year for $560, and resold it for the same price when i was done.

Any recs on places to live? ideally near the river market or downtown area. TIA

I had flashcube and sky apartments on my top list that covered both areas nicely. Feel free to pm me if you want some more names, I did some heavy research.

The spirit of AT Still will haunt your dreams if you buy that stupid ophthalmoscope. For real though, total waste of money for what we need it for and I really wish KCU wouldn't tell incoming students that it is "required."

• Haha
I had flashcube and sky apartments on my top list that covered both areas nicely. Feel free to pm me if you want some more names, I did some heavy research.
flashcube is a glorified air bnb

look at rm west/union berkley/sky on main/lots of cheap lofts in the area/ also north kc if youre looking for something cheaper

Reactions: 2 users
Check out this post, I talk about some places to live:

Can someone speak from experience and tell me whether completing the masters program actually increased their chances?

this school is honestly my dream school and the WL is hitting me hard lol…
Are there any current students that interviewed late (march) and got off the waitlist?

Would love to ask some questions!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users