2022-2023 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM-Jonesboro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for that honest review, I honestly wouldn't have known if it weren't for this. I wish someone from the other schools I got accepted/waitlisted at would give such a brutally honest review... now I'm a bit paranoid about those schools and what skeletons they might be hiding in their closets
Much better to hear from students than faculty. Students are the ones going through the grind.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
It's kinda crappy to give this warning at this point in the application cycle. I mean I get the eyes wide open thing, but if you had such strong feelings, why not warn people months ago? Telling people this now really limits their ability to respond to it.
You joined the forum about 2 hours ago to post this experience from two years ago (it sounds like). There's nothing else about your med school journey, just this experience. That sets off some warning bells. I'm authentically sorry it was a bad experience, and you didn't have anything GOOD to say about the school, maybe it's because you don't HAVE any good feelings on it; However, I find all negative reviews hard to believe. (To be fair, I also find all positive reviews of schools hard to believe too).
Some points I felt deserved further attention:
Remediation: In a class of 115-120, about 1/4 failed the first year, and you didn't give a statistic for how many failed the remediation course. Yeah, that's not a great stat, but if of those 30, most passed, then that is ALSO something to consider. Why was that information left out?
Board Exams: Valid concern to be aware of for anyone attending. I wonder if a current student can confirm if this is still the practice, or if it was part of a schools growing pains?
Attrition: When I did a campus tour there, they talked about how they have telemed health counselors now, with unlimited visits, to help students, they did this because students said it was needed, so it seems they've done some listening since you were there.
Match rate is a facade: I've seen that several schools do that kind of thing. As I am not yet a med student, I don't know how not applying to a residency program "because I am not yet ready" looks on a future application, but I think I'd rather be able to confidently apply than apply and be rejected. I think a rejection may look worse, so while it looks good for the school, it may also protect the students? (Not confident in that, but it's a perspective to consider.)
Rotation sites and research: This point was brought up by a current student in this thread a while back, but they felt it allowed them to have MORE experiences. It sounds like you left before experiencing this first hand, so your opinion on it isn't based on your experience. Is that correct? Or did I misunderstand when you left the school?
State of Arkansas: The building seemed nice when I toured it. They said it was completely gutted and redone for the school, and it looked that way too, so if the school knew they were going to do that, it makes sense they'd give them an older/worse building, AND it's right next to the Student Union (aka food), so that doesn't seem too bad.
Master's Program: Yes, that would suck, and I also wonder if that is still current? If so, it just sucks, and if not, then it's dumb they used to do that, and I wonder what the logic is...
Completely Disorganized: Again, it didn't sound like you actually got to the stage of rotations at NYITCOM-AR, so this wouldn't be first hand knowledge. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but if you didn't experience it, I'd prefer an account from someone who did.
Corruption: This is a real thing and super sucks. Not really anything more to say about it. If the corruption you identified is true, then it just sucks... That's it...

I appreciate that you shared your experience, but as it is the only ENTIRELY negative response I've seen for this school. Other research I've done, along with communication with a couple current students offered very different perspectives, so I wanted to follow up to get some clarity.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remediation: In a class of 115-120, about 1/4 failed the first year, and you didn't give a statistic for how many failed the remediation course. Yeah, that's not a great stat, but if of those 30, most passed, then that is ALSO something to consider. Was that information left out because YOU didn't pass?
I just realized my question here sounded accusatory with the inclusion of "because you didn't pass". I apologize. That was not my intent, I am authentically curious why you didn't include it, that was the potential reason that came to mind as I was typing, but I shouldn't have included it in the final post because there could be a plethora of other reasons. For that reason, I removed that part.
Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NYITCOM-AR was my only acceptance too, and I just went for it. The admin at NYITCOM-AR know that a lot of their prospective students only get one acceptance (their school) because of stats. They know that, so its easy for them to feed on "weaker" students. My advice would be to really tell your wait-listed schools that they are your top choice and really try your hardest to get off that waitlist.

I messaged you dan with my personal school recommendation :)

Med school is hard no matter where you go. Countless hours of studying and preparation for exams. There is no need for admin to make your life X10 harder than what it needs to be. Admin at NYITCOM-AR do not listen to students about things needing to become better. They shut you down.

I don't want to stop you from achieving your dream to be a doctor! I genuinely want you to become the doctor you dream of being, but I also want to warn prospective students about TOXIC medical schools and cash grab medical schools. There wasn't enough information out there for me when I was applying. I bought into the school's marketing tactics about "one program-two campuses" and it was a bad decision. The NYITCOM-NY campus is much better. All the funding goes to them.
Why are you just now writing this if this happened so long ago? As someone who applied here I don’t need false information clouding decision-making

Hi, I am a current student, and can answer whether this information is relevant...
1. Yes the remediation program is in effect for both campuses- if you fail (less that 70%) foundations of medicine you get put into the master's program- in the class of 2026 I believe the remediation rate was 18%. If you show improvement you are placed back into the next class. I cannot speak to statistics on how many students pass the remediation course as there has only been one class to complete it.
2. The research opportunities are getting better over time, but they are mostly population health and basic science based-BUT... this is not unusual for a small D.O. school
3. Rotation sites are improving with time, most students are not placed in rural areas although some are... (again not unusual for a small D.O. school)
4. The building is nice and shiny but it is quite old so we often have repairs

Overall, the school does not do a great job of helping students if they are not doing well but I disagree that its as bad as it was made out to be. Also, many of the issues that were mentioned are improving and the curriculum was recently updated so that students would do better on board exams (especially neuro). The faculty that runs academic affairs is still here and what was said in the previous post is accurate

Hi, I am a current student, and can answer whether this information is relevant...
1. Yes the remediation program is in effect for both campuses- if you fail (less that 70%) foundations of medicine you get put into the master's program- in the class of 2026 I believe the remediation rate was 18%. If you show improvement you are placed back into the next class. I cannot speak to statistics on how many students pass the remediation course as there has only been one class to complete it.
2. The research opportunities are getting better over time, but they are mostly population health and basic science based-BUT... this is not unusual for a small D.O. school
3. Rotation sites are improving with time, most students are not placed in rural areas although some are... (again not unusual for a small D.O. school)

Overall, the school does not do a great job of helping students if they are not doing well but I disagree that its as bad as it was made out to be. Also, many of the issues that were mentioned are improving and the curriculum was recently updated so that students would do better on board exams (especially neuro). The faculty that runs academic affairs is still here and what was said in the previous post is accurate
Thanks for the additional input.

So, it sounds like it's not AS bad as the poster described, but there are definitely some important and serious issues mentioned that could still use improvement, and need to be considered.

Reactions: 1 user

I appreciate the elaboration. If you don't mind sharing, would you say you generally have a positive or negative opinion of your school with all things considered? knowing what you know, if you were an incoming student again, would you choose your school over other ones, or do you believe you would've been better off elsewhere? sorry, I know these are heavy questions

I appreciate the elaboration. If you don't mind sharing, would you say you generally have a positive or negative opinion of your school with all things considered? knowing what you know, if you were an incoming student again, would you choose your school over other ones, or do you believe you would've been better off elsewhere? sorry, I know these are heavy questions
I had three acceptances (all D.O.) and chose NYITCOM over those other schools, I was accepted to DMU and would have attended that school if I had a redo.

I think the student experience is super different if your a good student vs a poor/struggling student. You do have the exact same lectures and exams as the NY campus. I have never struggled academically so I have had a mostly positive experience with the school, but the remediation issue is definitely something to consider.

The neuroanatomy practival avg was an 86 and our neuro comp exam avg was an 82 this year.

All medical schools have their issues. Especially D.O. schools, including this one. Things have changed since this person had their experiences though. I'll agree there are issues with certain faculty (academic affairs), but medical school is mostly about the individual and how hard you are willing to work to achieve whatever your goals are. The point system is still in place for being able to sign up to take board exams but it's based on your semester averages and benchmark exam scores. I know plenty of students that have taken both comlex level 1 and step 1. If you're learning the material with appropriate 3rd party resources you should be fine. Our class did have an 18% remediation rate after first semester (valid issue). Research is mostly basic science like they said but it's also up to you to find those opportunities (much like most schools). Rotation sites are a mix of larger cities/towns (Memphis, Shreveport, LA, Tupelo, MS, Southaven, MS, Jonesboro, AR, Little Rock, AR, Northwest AR area) and smaller AR towns. Communication is lacking at times. A-State does want the school on campus or it wouldn't be here. OMM lab is only 2 hrs a week and most people's exam scores are helped by the questions on their comp exams. The OMM precomps the post mentioned are only 20 questions long and only count for like 1-2% of your total semester avg. Is it the best DO school? No. Will it get you where you want to go if you work for it? Sure, look at the match lists. The 100% "match rate" posted by most schools is not a match rate but a placement rate that includes matching and SOAP. NYITCOM isn't the only school that posts that.

Do not go to the Caribbean if you have a DO acceptance. DO match rates as a whole are in the upper 90%, the Carribean match rates as a whole are around 50%.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for that honest review, I honestly wouldn't have known if it weren't for this. I wish someone from the other schools I got accepted/waitlisted at would give such a brutally honest review... now I'm a bit paranoid about those schools and what skeletons they might be hiding in their closets
I wouldn't take the time to write out this long essay if I didn't feel so passionately that NYITCOM-AR is toxic. I have more stories too. On one OMM practical exam, I was singled out by a scholar and tested on a specific technique they specifically said they would not test us on. I was so shocked when he gave me that technique. I was the only student who got it. I emailed the head of the OMM department in a panic after the exam because I was freaked out that I had failed. No response from her. Nothing. I genuinely felt singled out by the OMM department.

And I had other problems with the OMM department too. It was not good.

Why are you just now writing this if this happened so long ago? As someone who applied here I don’t need false information clouding decision-making
Because I needed to pass Step 1 and get my butt to rotations. That's my priority. I've been busy studying as I am a med student. Life goes quickly in medical school.

I never used SDN in the past except for reading posts. I never comment. But I took the time to write this out because I still want to share my experience. Even if it was in the past. NYITCOM-NY is the sister campus. NYITCOM-AR shouldn't have so many growing pains for a "one program-two locations" medical school. But they did.

I'm not saying people won't graduate and match from the school. They will. But the road and the journey sucks with this school.

There were three medical students that committed suicide during my time at NYITCOM-AR. One of them the night of a meeting with Dean Deal about his boards. The school didn't change anything except send out an email of condolences and the info to the counseling center.

Sure things can change, but with this school, personally, I don't have much hope.

The neuroanatomy practival avg was an 86 and our neuro comp exam avg was an 82 this year.

All medical schools have their issues. Especially D.O. schools, including this one. Things have changed since this person had their experiences though. I'll agree there are issues with certain faculty (academic affairs), but medical school is mostly about the individual and how hard you are willing to work to achieve whatever your goals are. The point system is still in place for being able to sign up to take board exams but it's based on your semester averages and benchmark exam scores. I know plenty of students that have taken both comlex level 1 and step 1. If you're learning the material with appropriate 3rd party resources you should be fine. Our class did have an 18% remediation rate after first semester (valid issue). Research is mostly basic science like they said but it's also up to you to find those opportunities (much like most schools). Rotation sites are a mix of larger cities/towns (Memphis, Shreveport, LA, Tupelo, MS, Southaven, MS, Jonesboro, AR, Little Rock, AR, Northwest AR area) and smaller AR towns. Communication is lacking at times. A-State does want the school on campus or it wouldn't be here. OMM lab is only 2 hrs a week and most people's exam scores are helped by the questions on their comp exams. The OMM precomps the post mentioned are only 20 questions long and only count for like 1-2% of your total semester avg. Is it the best DO school? No. Will it get you where you want to go if you work for it? Sure, look at the match lists. The 100% "match rate" posted by most schools is not a match rate but a placement rate that includes matching and SOAP. NYITCOM isn't the only school that posts that.

Do not go to the Caribbean if you have a DO acceptance. DO match rates as a whole are in the upper 90%, the Carribean match rates as a whole are around 50%.
For my particular Caribbean school, the attainment rate was 97%. **Editing to fix my mistake**

Match lists are great and all, but the 1st/2nd curriculum is the hardest part of medical school for most. Why struggle with a school that makes this part even more difficult? My caribbean med school had NONE of these problems that NYITCOM-AR had in the 1st/2nd year curriculum.

If I can give some advice to the premeds out there, if you get into another DO school, go there (as long as its not toxic...do your research).

****This is just me sharing my experience with NYITCOM-AR!!!!! Of course, things can change and be different for different people!!! Based on remediation, based on benchmarks, based on if you are an excellent student or struggling student, etc, etc*************

Last edited:
Because I needed to pass Step 1 and get my butt to rotations. That's my priority. I've been busy studying as I am a med student. Life goes quickly in medical school.

I never used SDN in the past except for reading posts. I never comment. But I took the time to write this out because I still want to share my experience. Even if it was in the past. NYITCOM-NY is the sister campus. NYITCOM-AR shouldn't have so many growing pains for a "one program-two locations" medical school. But they did.

I'm not saying people won't graduate and match from the school. They will. But the road and the journey sucks with this school.

There were three medical students that committed suicide during my time at NYITCOM-AR. One of them the night of a meeting with Dean Deal about his boards. The school didn't change anything except send out an email of condolences and the info to the counseling center.

Sure things can change, but with this school, personally, I don't have much hope.
The suicides of these students is definitely alarming. There’s not anything in this world worth that. Any school who experiences that should take a deep, hard look in the mirror. That is not okay ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
The suicides of these students is definitely alarming. There’s not anything in this world worth that. Any school who experiences that should take a deep, hard look in the mirror. That is not okay ever.
I'm extremely alarmed by and a bit incredulous about the claim that in one year three students committed suicide. I feel like that's something I would've heard about, having grown up in the surrounding area, but maybe not.

The 18% remediation rate is insane, especially since that summer between M1 and M2 is like your last real break for a long ass time. Having to bust your ass in a remediation course sounds horribly crappy. But yeah, I'd also very much like to know if they charge you for the remediation course, how much it costs, and the % of people who pass remediation.

I'm now kicking myself for letting my ACOM/KYCOM/MUCOM acceptances go.

9C930497-9400-4302-B75B-B6A0C166C44A.jpeg

“Attainment” rate ≠ match rate. It means placement through match and SOAP. “Or who attained a residency positions outside the NRMP match” aka SOAP or a few select smaller subspecialties. I’d be curious to hear the attrition rate at your school as well. Caribbean schools are notorious for high attrition rates. Do your research.

Last edited:
I'm extremely alarmed by and a bit incredulous about the claim that in one year three students committed suicide. I feel like that's something I would've heard about, having grown up in the surrounding area, but maybe not.

The 18% remediation rate is insane, especially since that summer between M1 and M2 is like your last real break for a long ass time. Having to bust your ass in a remediation course sounds horribly crappy. But yeah, I'd also very much like to know if they charge you for the remediation course, how much it costs, and the % of people who pass remediation.

I'm now kicking myself for letting my ACOM/KYCOM/MUCOM acceptances go.
If you fail FOM (first semester) you remediate in the spring and then restart first semester with the new class in the following fall if you’re successful in remediation. If you only fail a lab or PPOM 1 (2nd semester) you remediate that over the summer and continue with your original class in the fall.

Last edited:
For my particular Caribbean school, the match rate was 97% lol. This is the match rate, not placement rate.

Match lists are great and all, but the 1st/2nd curriculum is the hardest part of medical school for most. Why struggle with a school that makes this part even more difficult? My caribbean med school had NONE of these problems that NYITCOM-AR had in the 1st/2nd year curriculum.

If I can give some advice to the premeds out there, if you get into another DO school, go there (as long as its not toxic...do your research).

****This is just me sharing my experience with NYITCOM-AR!!!!! Of course, things can change and be different for different people!!! Based on remediation, based on benchmarks, based on if you are an excellent student or struggling student, etc, etc*************
First, I am definitely not invalidating your experience at NYITCOM, but no Caribbean school has a higher match rate than the overall average for US MD/DO schools, that's a complete lie and should not be taken so face-front.

The accurate number was calculated to be close to 30-40% at their lowest times, but usually around 50% as calculated by Medical School Insiders as well as people who attended Caribbean schools in the recent years (can find these calculations with a simple Reddit search). Medical School Insiders by Dr. Kevin Jubbal has a comprehensive video where he spoke with the admissions committees for the "well-known Caribbean schools" and hardly any numbers were given, showcasing how completely untrue and unreliable Caribbean schools are. Caribbean schools are known to boast 40-50% attrition rates in the first year and probably grows in number as the years go on.

Most DO schools boast a high match rate including SOAP (usually near 100%, if not at 100%), and it's been stated multiple times on SDN forums that you should only apply Caribbean as a last resort. If you have been through multiple unsuccessful cycles, and you still want to become a physician that bad, even after considering other routes such as a PA or APRN/ARNP which is still a much less risk-ridden route compared to Caribbean schools, that is the only time you should even remotely consider Caribbean. Goro and many other trusted advisors on SDN can speak volumes about this, and there's a widely spread, detailed blog called "Million Dollar Mistake" regarding someone's Caribbean school experience.

View attachment 368672
“Attainment” rate ≠ match rate. It means placement through match and SOAP. “Or who attained a residency positions outside the NRMP match” aka SOAP or a few select smaller subspecialties. I’d be curious to hear the attrition rate at your school as well. Caribbean schools are notorious for high attrition rates. Do your research.
Okay lmaoo sorry. That is my bad. Attrition rate at Caribbean schools are def more than US schools. We all know this. But for a US School to have a high attrition rate like NYITCOM (about 10%) is not normal. There are US schools that feed on "weaker" students just like Caribbean schools. This is what I'm trying to warn people about. Also, you never know if you are going to be part of the statistic that fails out or makes it. Each person's experience will be different when they make it through to the end.

If you make it through to the end, you will match somewhere decent no doubt, whether its a DO or Caribbean school.

This is a small example of what the Class of 2023 had to go through this past Feb when the school took way too long to verify them for the match. This is just an example to show prospective students. It's not just me y'all.

This is the Class of 2023 GroupMe. Class of 2024 GroupMe got deleted by admin and a Slack was made so it can better be monitored. I blocked out names and photos for privacy.

This is just one classes experience. I hope it gets better for future classes.

This is a small example of what the Class of 2023 had to go through this past Feb when the school took way too long to verify them for the match. This is just an example to show prospective students. It's not just me y'all.

This is the Class of 2023 GroupMe. Class of 2024 GroupMe got deleted by admin and a Slack was made so it can better be monitored. I blocked out names and photos for privacy.

This is just one classes experience. I hope it gets better for future classes.
So after all of this, did you report this school/faculty members in hopes of fixing these problems? Or did you just leave the program with no further contact?

So after all of this, did you report this school/faculty members in hopes of fixing these problems? Or did you just leave the program with no further contact?
The OP doesn't actually go to NYITCOM-AR anymore. They just lingered in the GroupMe.

Every school has their pros and cons lol. At the end of the day, you’ll be a physician regardless. If it’s you’re only acceptance or you chose this school over others, I wouldn’t really stress

For those worried about the whole 12 page essay regarding NYITCOM-Arkansas, it appears a majority if not all of those issues are resolved and this school is a fine choice if you were accepted here.

Ask current students about this school, not former students that argue that Caribbean schools with sketchy accreditations have better match rates than US MD/DO schools.

Reactions: 9 users
Nurses should teach nurses. Physicians should teach physicians. High school teachers should teach high schoolers.

I would argue that NYIT doesn't want to be on Astate's campus instead of it being the other way around. I walked by the NYIT buitding (Wilson Hall) multiple times a day for the last 4 years and have never seen anyone entering or exiting the building.

I would argue that NYIT doesn't want to be on Astate's campus instead of it being the other way around. I walked by the NYIT buitding (Wilson Hall) multiple times a day for the last 4 years and have never seen anyone entering or exiting the building.
Does this mean that the Wilson Hall building isn't used much? Not sure what you mean by that statement.

Does this mean that the Wilson Hall building isn't used much? Not sure what you mean by that statement.
I learned on the tour that only medical students can access Wilson hall (but the medical students can access all the other buildings on campus). You have to have a key card to get in, so only about 500 people can get in the building, and almost half of those people are most likely doing their residency or rotation, so they aren't actually accessing the building anyway.

Wilson is the only building used. People enter and exit all the time, but there are doors on all sides of the building for everyone to go in and out of. There are always students in and out of the building. We have 24/7 access during the school year.

Last edited:
I don't know how other students and future students feel about it, but reading these recent comments definitely makes me worried to attend here. Yes, medical school is medical school but why go somewhere that is going to make life harder than it has to be.

• Sad
When it comes to remediation they actually now have a new "masters" program where if you fail first semester you're automatically put into the masters program for one year (which you have to pay for) and then you have to re-apply to get back into the school. Also you don't actually get a masters out of it.
They don’t reapply. If they’re successful, they rejoin the new class. Obviously, you pay for it, you’re taking classes.

We also have different courses (like population health and telemedicine) which we are required to go to but NY is not. They also told us when we applied that we would all get certificates for participating in those *mandatoy* programs but forgot to mention that in order to get those certificates we had to extra work on top of what we were already doing.
NY has a different course they go to for a different certificate. As their campus isn't located in the MS Delta (so they can't earn a Delta Pop Health Certificate) If you didn’t know a certificate program required more class work, that’s on you.

When it comes to boards, there still are students in their 3rd year who haven't taken level 1 because the school won't let them
Because their semester averages were lower and/or they didn’t score well on benchmark exams.

Additionally, the student affairs office has lost nearly all of its staff because of the environment that the school creates.
The former career advisor & her leaving is also part of the problem with why this year's class verification for match was slower than normal) and the former student affairs dean did leave, but both positions are now currently filled. Both left for promotions either at another medical school or at the NY campus. If they’re better or worse, too early to tell.

They have also taken away our class group chats and forced us onto new platforms so that they can monitor what is being said and confront anyone who says anything negative about them.
Both 2025 and 2026 still have their groupchats with no faculty in them.

and the school has done nothing but send an email with the link to the school counselor, who cancels her appointments half the time anyways.
There are now 2 full-time counselors at the school and my experiences with them have been good personally. The school also offers free counseling for students with St. Bernards mental health counseling if you prefer that.

And then 4th year, because we aren't associated with a hospital, we are required to find all of our own rotations. The school does not provide any help when it comes to setting these up
This is a literal COCA violation. So, if true, report it. If hearsay, quit spreading it.

I can't speak to the rest of the post as I have never had those experiences. The school isn't great but it's not as bad as these posts make it seem for the majority of students.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't know how other students and future students feel about it, but reading these recent comments definitely makes me worried to attend here. Yes, medical school is medical school but why go somewhere that is going to make life harder than it has to be.
I feel ya, but at this point, what I can control is my attitude, and my determination to succeed. I've read similar statements on SDN for other schools from students who have attended those other schools. I think every school and every class will have people who will not be happy with the school, but I also believe that attitude makes a BIG difference. I have seen it, and I have experienced it. We as a class can be a community, and we can support each other. It's amazing to have that from all the admin too, but even without all of them; I find it hard to believe they are ALL bad, and we as students can support each other. My experience has been that I have the most academic success when I am INVOLVED in a study group. A good teacher can magnify that success, but for me, a good study group makes the biggest difference. :thumbup:

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
From reading all the comments above, I've come to two conclusions. Please correct me if you disagree.

1. If this is the only school you've gotten into, don't let these comments freak you out to the extent of backing out of med school all together. You've been made aware of some of the pitfalls regarding this school, so you can now go into med school with both your eyes wide open and try to work around some of these issues.

2. If this is not the only school you've gotten into, you should probably entertain your other options, as other schools may not have as heavy of a baggage as this particular school.

Does that about sum it up?

or commenting on how female students are required to wear makeup for mock patient encounters.
The only things REQUIRED for standardized patient encounters: white coat, business casual clothes, and a stethoscope.

This entire thread is terrifying. Not sure I’ve seen such a negative school/year thread. For anyone reading this that’s been accepted I don’t see how you can be fully comfortable going here?

As a current student I can confirm all of this and one-up it. Also for those saying that these things have been addressed by the school, they haven't. All of this is still actively going on.

When it comes to remediation they actually now have a new "masters" program where if you fail first semester you're automatically put into the masters program for one year (which you have to pay for) and then you have to re-apply to get back into the school. Also you don't actually get a masters out of it.

The whole 2 schools 1 program thing is also a joke, as we don't have access to any of NY's resources. They also have nicer facilities and more opportunities for learning (such as a skills lab and high end equipment) where as we just got one practice dummy in our SIMs lab last year. We also have different courses (like population health and telemedicine) which we are required to go to but NY is not. They also told us when we applied that we would all get certificates for participating in those *mandatoy* programs but forgot to mention that in order to get those certificates we had to extra work on top of what we were already doing.

Also, the amount of racism, sexism, and homophobia at this school is astonishing. There have been multiple investigations into students for racist, sexist, and homophobic behavior, including some instances of sexual assault. None of them ended up with any consequences, and the students have been allowed to continue to hold leadership positions while the students who brought forward the allegations were retaliated against. Faculty have often made disparaging remarks to students such as making homophobic jokes in class or commenting on how female students are required to wear makeup for mock patient encounters. They claim to uphold "diversity" but they do nothing to make the school an inclusive environment. It was so bad at one point that they had students move to the NY campus because they felt unsafe in AR. And when it was brought to NY's attention they came down to "save face" and act like they were taking it all seriously and then left without anything changing.

When it comes to boards, there still are students in their 3rd year who haven't taken level 1 because the school won't let them (and by won't let them I mean they took away their verification with the NBOME exam scheduler). Students have been told directly they they will fail and aren't good enough by administration. Additionally, the student affairs office has lost nearly all of its staff because of the environment that the school creates.

When it comes to 3rd year, the regional administrators who are supposed to help you make your schedule hardly ever respond, and most of them don't do their jobs anyways. Multiple students have had to miss a core rotation or an elective because their RA didn't send in their paperwork on time. You are also very cut off from everyone else if you are put in a rural site, and the school gives no support to their rural students when it comes to their mental health. It is true that we have had 3 students die in the past 3 years, and the school has done nothing but send an email with the link to the school counselor, who cancels her appointments half the time anyways. They have also taken away our class group chats and forced us onto new platforms so that they can monitor what is being said and confront anyone who says anything negative about them.

And then 4th year, because we aren't associated with a hospital, we are required to find all of our own rotations. The school does not provide any help when it comes to setting these up, so you better hope you get a lot of VSLO approvals or know some doctors who will be willing to take you in. And if you don't fill all of your blocks you just can't graduate.

There are some of us who have reached out to report some of this, but nothing has come of it because when the accreditation board comes around the school lies to them (saw it with my own eyes) about how they run their program. I don't know why certain students are saying that this place is a great school to go to but it has treated a lot of people very terribly and caused us all unnecessary stress on top of med school already being stressful.
3 students? Holy ****. That is a huge red flag!

This is exactly how I feel about it. NYITCOM is now my only acceptance because I didn't pay to hold my seat at the others and now I'm freaking the hell out.

This is exactly how I feel about it. NYITCOM is now my only acceptance because I didn't pay to hold my seat at the others and now I'm freaking the hell out.
Yeah I’m nervous as well. Sure, one student could say something but when there’s multiple it is hard to ignore.

Reactions: 3 users
3 students? Holy ****. That is a huge red flag!
Here is your answers for 2 of the 3 deaths:

I'm almost certain the 3rd was covid related.

Last edited:
current student in the class of 2026in Jonesboro here. I was lucky enough to pass the first semester. The following are all facts and not in any way my opinion or viewpoints on the school (that will be later) i apologize for the abysmal typing and grammar as I am using text to talk and editing after. this is my first post and To anyone doubting my credibility I will be happy to talk with you and Prove my association to the school.

Some things that aren’t said are that there were approximately 20 to 25 people in the Jonesboro campus alone that remediated this first semester this is approximately 20%. This was after they gave a 2.0 overall curve to everybody’s grade. Prior to that curve we were looking at approximately 40 + people or 33 to 36% of our class failing. The students that did fail have to go through the remediation masters program, which is teaching them the exact same material that we learned that semester again they will then have to petition to re-join in the class of 2027 and do you have to pay for the remediation and the next year. The cut off for passing is 70 and I personally know at least one student who maintained a 69.95 and was not able to pass they were allowed to petition, but like many others have stated they were simply told that they were just not ready enough for medical school. for the first semester at the school the only thing that comprises your grade are your comprehensive and pre-comprehensive exams. Previously there were four comprehensive exams and four pre-comprehensive exams given. the total value of all of your pre-comprehensive exams makes up 10% of your grade and the total value of your comprehensive exams make up 90% of your grade. For the class of 2026 they change this and we were given three pre-comprehensive exams worth 10% of our total grade and three comprehensive exams with 90% of our total grade. with the removal of the one exam, many students did not do well on the first comprehensive exam with many of us, still adjusting to medical school. One student in particular failed the first comp, and even though he passed the next two comps it wasn’t enough to offset the one exam that he did not pass.
You can fail one laboratory class, either OMM, doctor patient relations, or anatomy. you will then remediate that lab in the summer. Currently there is heated discussion because at our first Townhall meeting we were told by Dr. Sleiman that we could fail two labs one in each semester and still remediate as long as they were not the same lab. However, over the break we received an email stating that we could not fail two labs and still continue in the school. While only 20% of the students were forced to remediate the first semester many students realized that their best chance was to pass foundations, even if that meant failing another lab. at start of the second semester, approximately 40% of the remaining students who passed foundations are on academic probation for failing a lab. And this does not include the approximate 20 students that joined our class after having remediated from the class of 2025. These students have been on probation for over a year and it has been stated that they are still considered on academic probation until the end of the first year of medical school.
in regards to the comment about mental health services, at orientation we were told that we were given 9 instances of counseling services for free. The counseling program has not changed much, and was the same programs that were in effect for the students who had their life take from them.
since the start of this year, the school has lost (from leaving or firing) Brent owens (no relation to Tracy owens) who was the lead for pipeline development and for bringing in New students. Holly Proffitt who was the career advisor and was persoanlly responsible for the amazing match and residencies that came from our school. Dr. Cope who was a pediatrician and in a clinical medicine instructor. Dr. Wehner is one of our few OMM faculty and leaving at the end of this semester( currently are OMM department was already shortstaffed and with her leaving many people are unsure how it will continue as they have been trying for over two years to get another faculty member to come to the school), Clint, Iadanza the assistant Director for educational research is also leaving. Prior to the year starting we also lost the assistant Dean of student administration Dr. Cohen.
There is no in person instruction, and while I understand that this is the time of Covid and learning at home, and online is something that we can do this was supposed to be a temporary fix with the college of medicine however, they stand behind the argument that because students never used the in person instruction that they just didn’t see the point in continuing it. The faculty then use the regular hours of Monday through Friday 9 to 5 to schedule anything that they deem necessary. You are expected to watch lectures, read ppt slides and determine which reading materials you need and review all of this on your own, with very little instruction from the faculty here at the Jonesboro campus. Many of the recordings are dated as far back as 2017. With some lectures given by faculty that have not been here for years.
something to keep in mind when looking at students that have gone to the Jonesboro Arkansas campus is it was founded in 2016 and is a relatively new school, however, they do use a lot of the statistics and aspects of the New York campus to boost how they’re perceived.

(everything past this is my opinion and experiences/others experience) my opinions on my school are that it is a medical school. It has many issues, and the one thing that you can count on is that nothing will stay consistent. While this may be my first year, this is my third year of helping and handling individuals who have gone to the school as I have had close family members who are at the school a few years ahead of me me. In my time here and dealing with the people and administration the things that I have seen can be summarized in one quick statement and that is simply do not trust the administration instead focus on yourself focus on your studies and do everything that you can with the anticipation that they will not help you. Your best source of help will come from your fellow classmates who are going through it with you. This was unfortunately the only school that would take me and I made the decision to come here as did everybody who is STILL here.

Do not trust your confidentialities or privacy to the administration. There have been enough reports, and some of my close friends have given numerous stories about how people in academic affairs share, both protected health information as well as any particular statements that are said. If you have to meet with them, everything that you say is written down any feelings that you have towards the school are noted and if it any point in time, your performance is called into review these statements are brought up against you, you will be asked to defend them. Avoid talking about any new medication’s that you start or any mental health illnesses that you may be dealing with as your conversations are not confidential with them. My family member started on a new medication to help them focus and disclose this information to one of the academic specialists a few months later. Specifically asking how they were doing on the new medication which she quoted by brand-name. This also raises the question about the confidentialities of the mental health providers at the school as they are also part of the school and work with the academic affairs department. Many students have personally told me that they do not feel safe and I do not feel safe, disclosing any of my mental health or personal information to the counselors at the school because of the proposed inability to maintain privacy and confidentiality, even amongst individuals in the academic affairs department, the schools response to any sense of mental health illness is poor and ill-equipped close personal friend of mine came to the school and was late by a few days no one had heard from him on the school side they have tried reaching out supposedly to talk to him when I first met him, he talk to me about how he had nowhere to stay. He had no Internet or means of communication back where he was from and that the only way he could make it to the school was that he had to call“ Hitchhike his way from Houston Texas “ the school was so surprised when he showed up that they had nowhere for him to stay, and were forced to put him up in a hotel for a few days until they could sort out his housing arrangements. The same student was then struggling in the school and found it very difficult and his mental health was called into question. He was pulled out of one labs been forced to talk with administration about statements he had made it and actions about his sleeping patterns. Their solution to all of this was to pull him out of labs that were extremely vital and important at the time and schedule make up days for him, which just so happen to coincide with other labs. Unfortunately, the student never really recovered and is remediating and while he is doing better it’s unfortunate that the school had such lack of care and consideration for him. Also to note if you struggle in the academics and are forced to meet with the one of the deans they do Not care how you are doing on your benchmarks for boards. As my family member was acting board prep but failed a semester and was told that “boards are what make you a minimum competent physician our exams are designed to make you a better doctor than any board exam can“ many of the schools changes to policy and procedure occurred after reports came that the New York campus was in extreme amounts of debt and suffering in financial losses that were making them possibly have to reconsider certain ventures many of the problems that the school experienced in Jonesboro started after that report was made public. unfortunately, at this time it’s very hard to find any information on the school that I have seen that splits the information between the two campuses the idea of one school and two campuses is incorrect. There is a clear difference and it is unfortunately not until I came into the school that I saw just hold clear the difference is.
While I can’t necessarily point to any one particular person and say that it’s their fault I can say that unfortunately this ship sails because of the captains that run it and having a individual that’s in charge of the school whose main focuses are politics, legislation, military, and everything but the school is unfortunate for us and it’s unfortunate for AACOM to have someone who’s leading that is so stretched thin on all the things he wants to do that nothing is running well. To his second in command, who’s over academic affairs the interactions have been very little if you don’t go to her yoga sessions. while she may be pleasant the school doesn’t need someone who brags about and spends most of their time birthing babies and in clinic because this just leaves others to run the school and unfortunately neither of them show or have any experience in how medical schools run. As prior to this neither of them worked at a medical school. And that is what is showing in this school lately. Nepotism at this school is unfortunately rampant. as can be seen by the relationships in the administration, and their family members that work for the school.

I genuinely feel that they use this campus to bring in students desperate to become physicians that aren't really up to their caliber knowing that they will be recycled through the school at least for 2-3 years during which the school will make about 200-300k off of them.

feel free to DM if you have questions. Thanks for listening, I hope this helps prepare someone to come here, or help them make a good decision about where to go (this is not the worst school out there btw)

current student in the class of 2026in Jonesboro here. I was lucky enough to pass the first semester. The following are all facts and not in any way my opinion or viewpoints on the school (that will be later) i apologize for the abysmal typing and grammar as I am using text to talk and editing after. this is my first post and To anyone doubting my credibility I will be happy to talk with you and Prove my association to the school.

Some things that aren’t said are that there were approximately 20 to 25 people in the Jonesboro campus alone that remediated this first semester this is approximately 20%. This was after they gave a 2.0 overall curve to everybody’s grade. Prior to that curve we were looking at approximately 40 + people or 33 to 36% of our class failing. The students that did fail have to go through the remediation masters program, which is teaching them the exact same material that we learned that semester again they will then have to petition to re-join in the class of 2027 and do you have to pay for the remediation and the next year. The cut off for passing is 70 and I personally know at least one student who maintained a 69.95 and was not able to pass they were allowed to petition, but like many others have stated they were simply told that they were just not ready enough for medical school. for the first semester at the school the only thing that comprises your grade are your comprehensive and pre-comprehensive exams. Previously there were four comprehensive exams and four pre-comprehensive exams given. the total value of all of your pre-comprehensive exams makes up 10% of your grade and the total value of your comprehensive exams make up 90% of your grade. For the class of 2026 they change this and we were given three pre-comprehensive exams worth 10% of our total grade and three comprehensive exams with 90% of our total grade. with the removal of the one exam, many students did not do well on the first comprehensive exam with many of us, still adjusting to medical school. One student in particular failed the first comp, and even though he passed the next two comps it wasn’t enough to offset the one exam that he did not pass.
You can fail one laboratory class, either OMM, doctor patient relations, or anatomy. you will then remediate that lab in the summer. Currently there is heated discussion because at our first Townhall meeting we were told by Dr. Sleiman that we could fail two labs one in each semester and still remediate as long as they were not the same lab. However, over the break we received an email stating that we could not fail two labs and still continue in the school. While only 20% of the students were forced to remediate the first semester many students realized that their best chance was to pass foundations, even if that meant failing another lab. at start of the second semester, approximately 40% of the remaining students who passed foundations are on academic probation for failing a lab. And this does not include the approximate 20 students that joined our class after having remediated from the class of 2025. These students have been on probation for over a year and it has been stated that they are still considered on academic probation until the end of the first year of medical school.
in regards to the comment about mental health services, at orientation we were told that we were given 9 instances of counseling services for free. The counseling program has not changed much, and was the same programs that were in effect for the students who, unfortunately took their own lives or had their life take from them.
since the start of this year, the school has lost (from leaving or firing) Brent owens (no relation to Tracy owens) who was the lead for pipeline development and for bringing in New students. Holly Proffitt who was the career advisor and was persoanlly responsible for the amazing match and residencies that came from our school. Dr. Cope who was a pediatrician and in a clinical medicine instructor. Dr. Wehner is one of our few OMM faculty and leaving at the end of this semester( currently are OMM department was already shortstaffed and with her leaving many people are unsure how it will continue as they have been trying for over two years to get another faculty member to come to the school), Clint, Iadanza the assistant Director for educational research is also leaving. Prior to the year starting we also lost the assistant Dean of student administration Dr. Cohen.
There is no in person instruction, and while I understand that this is the time of Covid and learning at home, and online is something that we can do this was supposed to be a temporary fix with the college of medicine however, they stand behind the argument that because students never used the in person instruction that they just didn’t see the point in continuing it. The faculty then use the regular hours of Monday through Friday 9 to 5 to schedule anything that they deem necessary. You are expected to watch lectures, read ppt slides and determine which reading materials you need and review all of this on your own, with very little instruction from the faculty here at the Jonesboro campus. Many of the recordings are dated as far back as 2017. With some lectures given by faculty that have not been here for years.
something to keep in mind when looking at students that have gone to the Jonesboro Arkansas campus is it was founded in 2016 and is a relatively new school, however, they do use a lot of the statistics and aspects of the New York campus to boost how they’re perceived.

(everything past this is my opinion and experiences/others experience) my opinions on my school are that it is a medical school. It has many issues, and the one thing that you can count on is that nothing will stay consistent. While this may be my first year, this is my third year of helping and handling individuals who have gone to the school as I have had close family members who are at the school a few years ahead of me me. In my time here and dealing with the people and administration the things that I have seen can be summarized in one quick statement and that is simply do not trust the administration instead focus on yourself focus on your studies and do everything that you can with the anticipation that they will not help you. Your best source of help will come from your fellow classmates who are going through it with you. This was unfortunately the only school that would take me and I made the decision to come here as did everybody who is STILL here.

Do not trust your confidentialities or privacy to the administration. There have been enough reports, and some of my close friends have given numerous stories about how people in academic affairs share, both protected health information as well as any particular statements that are said. If you have to meet with them, everything that you say is written down any feelings that you have towards the school are noted and if it any point in time, your performance is called into review these statements are brought up against you, you will be asked to defend them. Avoid talking about any new medication’s that you start or any mental health illnesses that you may be dealing with as your conversations are not confidential with them. My family member started on a new medication to help them focus and disclose this information to one of the academic specialists a few months later, they received an email from X Specifically asking how they were doing on the new medication which she quoted by brand-name. This also raises the question about the confidentialities of the mental health providers at the school as they are also part of the school and work with the academic affairs department. Many students have personally told me that they do not feel safe and I do not feel safe, disclosing any of my mental health or personal information to the counselors at the school because of the proposed inability to maintain privacy and confidentiality, even amongst individuals in the academic affairs department, the schools response to any sense of mental health illness is poor and ill-equipped close personal friend of mine came to the school and was late by a few days no one had heard from him on the school side they have tried reaching out supposedly to talk to him when I first met him, he talk to me about how he had nowhere to stay. He had no Internet or means of communication back where he was from and that the only way he could make it to the school was that he had to call“ Hitchhike his way from Houston Texas “ the school was so surprised when he showed up that they had nowhere for him to stay, and were forced to put him up in a hotel for a few days until they could sort out his housing arrangements. The same student was then struggling in the school and found it very difficult and his mental health was called into question. He was pulled out of one labs been forced to talk with administration about statements he had made it and actions about his sleeping patterns. Their solution to all of this was to pull him out of labs that were extremely vital and important at the time and schedule make up days for him, which just so happen to coincide with other labs. Unfortunately, the student never really recovered and is remediating and while he is doing better it’s unfortunate that the school had such lack of care and consideration for him. Also to note if you struggle in the academics and are forced to meet with the one of the deans they do Not care how you are doing on your benchmarks for boards. As my family member was acting board prep but failed a semester and was told that “boards are what make you a minimum competent physician our exams are designed to make you a better doctor than any board exam can“ many of the schools changes to policy and procedure occurred after reports came that the New York campus was in extreme amounts of debt and suffering in financial losses that were making them possibly have to reconsider certain ventures many of the problems that the school experienced in Jonesboro started after that report was made public. unfortunately, at this time it’s very hard to find any information on the school that I have seen that splits the information between the two campuses the idea of one school and two campuses is incorrect. There is a clear difference and it is unfortunately not until I came into the school that I saw just hold clear the difference is.
While I can’t necessarily point to any one particular person and say that it’s their fault I can say that unfortunately this ship sails because of the captains that run it and having a individual that’s in charge of the school whose main focuses are politics, legislation, military, and everything but the school is unfortunate for us and it’s unfortunate for AACOM to have someone who’s leading that is so stretched thin on all the things he wants to do that nothing is running well. To his second in command, who’s over academic affairs the interactions have been very little if you don’t go to her yoga sessions. while she may be pleasant the school doesn’t need someone who brags about and spends most of their time birthing babies and in clinic because this just leaves X,Y and Z to run the school and unfortunately neither of them show or have any experience in how medical schools run. As prior to this neither of them worked at a medical school. And that is what is showing in this school lately. Nepotism at this school is unfortunately rampant. as can be seen by the relationships in the administration, and their family members that work for the school.

I genuinely feel that they use this campus to bring in students desperate to become physicians that aren't really up to their caliber knowing that they will be recycled through the school at least for 2-3 years during which the school will make about 200-300k off of them.

feel free to DM if you have questions. Thanks for listening, I hope this helps prepare someone to come here, or help them make a good decision about where to go (this is not the worst school out there btw)
Thanks for your post. I feel this review is actually helpful and probably one of the more honest reviews in the past 24 hours. It identifies both positive and negative, while also affirming that incoming students can be successful through traditional (i.e. study groups, hard work, etc) methods. It doesn't paint a rainbow over anything, but it also doesn't throw it into a thunderstorm in the middle of the ocean.

My suggestion is to seek out the help/advice of the second and third year students on how they got through the first year. May be that will mitigate the situation. Follow their strategy and work hard
Y'all think KYCOM will take me back? :cryi:
ask them . What do you have to lose? Upside is you get in. Down side is getting a "NO"

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Everyone, I won't speak to the veracity of the claims made about this school, but I will note that of the three people who wrote long posts detailing the problems with the school, two of them have accounts that were made within the last two days (@HappyDaysMD (03/30) and @Dr.chef. (03/31 night)). The other account, @StudentDoctorCentaur, that claims they are a current student has an account that was created on January 30th, 2018, but literally, the only activity they actually have is that comment they made on Thursday, over 5 years later. They have zero other activity other than that.

Make of this what you will.

Edit: Additional things I noticed
@HappyDaysMD was only active on Thursday (3/30) evening and night, and went completely silent on Friday (3/31). The evening of that very same day (Friday, 3/31) @Dr.chef. 's account was created.

@StudentDoctorCentaur , who has been completely inactive for 5 years since creating their account, somehow posted their long negative review less the day after @HappyDaysMD posted theirs. (This post originally said 2 hours, but this was me getting the days mixed up).

Looking at the past NYITCOM-Jonesboro pages, there haven't been any other negative reviews of this level of detail and length. Suddenly, there's three of them within less than a 36-hour time span.

Something smells rotten here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Here is your answers for 2 of the 3 deaths:

I'm almost certain the 3rd was covid related.

You're missing two of them. For the sake of their privacy I'm not going to feed this speculation any further. But just know there have been 3 suicides and 1 murder as stated above. Regardless of how many or how they happened, the point is that the school did not do their job to protect these students or to help the others who were mourning their loss.

Hey Everyone, I won't speak to the veracity of the claims made about this school, but I will note that of the three people who wrote long posts detailing the problems with the school, two of them have accounts that were made within the last two days (@HappyDaysMD (03/30) and @Dr.chef. (03/31 night)). The other account, @StudentDoctorCentaur, that claims they are a current student has an account that was created on January 30th, 2018, but literally, the only activity they actually have is that comment they made on Thursday, over 5 years later. They have zero other activity other than that.

Make of this what you will.

Edit: Additional things I noticed
@HappyDaysMD was only active on Thursday (3/30) evening and night, and went completely silent on Friday (3/31). The evening of that very same day (Friday, 3/31) @Dr.chef. 's account was created.

@StudentDoctorCentaur , who has been completely inactive for 5 years since creating their account, somehow posted their long negative review less than 2 hours after @HappyDaysMD posted theirs. These posts are long too, so it must have taken quite a bit of time to write them.

Looking at the past NYITCOM-Jonesboro pages, there haven't been any other negative reviews of this level of detail and length. Suddenly, there's three of them within less than a 36-hour time span.

Something smells rotten here.
I have been inactive because I haven't had anything to say until now. I also am never on sdn but someone sent me this thread and I thought I would just add my two cents. For my privacy I'm not going to tell you what year I am but I can assure you that I am a current student. Also the original post was posted on Thursday and I responded yesterday. If you're so concerned about the validity of what we are talking about I suggest you go talk to other students yourself.

I have been inactive because I haven't had anything to say until now. I also am never on sdn but someone sent me this thread and I thought I would just add my two cents. For my privacy I'm not going to tell you what year I am but I can assure you that I am a current student. Also the original post was posted on Thursday and I responded yesterday. If you're so concerned about the validity of what we are talking about I suggest you go talk to other students yourself.
Also the reason no one else has been talking about is because of the fear of retaliation from the school. Also since this school is still newer a lot of these issues have either been created recently, or have come to light after it has affected more students.

Given the information you know now, would you choose to attend this school again?

Also the reason no one else has been talking about is because of the fear of retaliation from the school. Also since this school is still newer a lot of these issues have either been created recently, or have come to light after it has affected more students.
The fear of retaliation probably keeps a lot of students from speaking up. I’ve been in that boat before.