You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 Northwestern (Feinberg)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
waiting2022
New Member
waitlisted
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted today, interviewed Jan 18th! Beyond excited
D
deleted555445
It does not appear so, which is not great, means like 400 people are on the waitlistDid anyone get rejected post interview?
A!! Interviewed in September.
Beyond excited 🥰🎉 Good luck to all those who were WL!
Beyond excited 🥰🎉 Good luck to all those who were WL!
overnightoats4ever
Full Member
WL and will be withdrawing, good luck to everyone!! 🙂
Hippocratic_Oath
New Member
Waitlisted..
So disappointed about this whole medical school application process that's supposed to identity students who are empathetic, ethical, and compassionate -- I found out today that my landlord's nephew who was accepted to multiple top 10 medical schools, attended one of the schools (NOT Feinberg), and graduated. He is now the owner of a "legal" marijuana business encouraging the use of and prescribing marijuana for various ailments. I, as someone who have not even gone to medical school, have done everything I can to teach and educate children and youth about substance use throughout high school, college, and now writing a educational computer program about it; yet, this person who has a doctoral credential is practicing non-evidence based "medicine" because he's "not making enough money as a regular doctor." He even said people will trust him because he's a MD. I just hope that none of us, when we practice in the future, will place burden and do harm to society. This is why I was so sad when I found out Paul Farmer, one of the few good doctors, passed away.
Sorry to go off topic here. Just want to vent! Please delete if not appropriate.
So disappointed about this whole medical school application process that's supposed to identity students who are empathetic, ethical, and compassionate -- I found out today that my landlord's nephew who was accepted to multiple top 10 medical schools, attended one of the schools (NOT Feinberg), and graduated. He is now the owner of a "legal" marijuana business encouraging the use of and prescribing marijuana for various ailments. I, as someone who have not even gone to medical school, have done everything I can to teach and educate children and youth about substance use throughout high school, college, and now writing a educational computer program about it; yet, this person who has a doctoral credential is practicing non-evidence based "medicine" because he's "not making enough money as a regular doctor." He even said people will trust him because he's a MD. I just hope that none of us, when we practice in the future, will place burden and do harm to society. This is why I was so sad when I found out Paul Farmer, one of the few good doctors, passed away.
Sorry to go off topic here. Just want to vent! Please delete if not appropriate.
mdphd32940
New Member
I am sorry to hear about your waitlist. This process is extremely taxing. It is extremely prolonged. And it is unrelenting in terms the amount of stress it produces. As someone who is applying to both MD/PhD programs and MD programs and have yet to hear good news, I hear ya.Waitlisted..
So disappointed about this whole medical school application process that's supposed to identity students who are empathetic, ethical, and compassionate -- I found out today that my landlord's nephew who was accepted to multiple top 10 medical schools, attended one of the schools (NOT Feinberg), and graduated. He is now the owner of a "legal" marijuana business encouraging the use of and prescribing marijuana for various ailments. I, as someone who have not even gone to medical school, have done everything I can to teach and educate children and youth about substance use throughout high school, college, and now writing a educational computer program about it; yet, this person who has a doctoral credential is practicing non-evidence based "medicine" because he's "not making enough money as a regular doctor." He even said people will trust him because he's a MD. I just hope that none of us, when we practice in the future, will place burden and do harm to society. This is why I was so sad when I found out Paul Farmer, one of the few good doctors, passed away.
Sorry to go off topic here. Just want to vent! Please delete if not appropriate.
However, I do want to address a couple of things that you brought up in this post. Many jurisdictions, including the one that Northwestern is in, has legalized the use of medical and recreational cannabis. Currently, the American Academy of Family Physicians supports the use of cannabis for the use in chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting, specific pain and spasticity syndromes, and certain forms of childhood epilepsy (PMID: 34913644). Currently, there are active clinical trials looking at both the benefits and harms of cannabis use, including treating PTSD in veterans, helping with HIV neuropathic pain (you can check out clinicaltrials.gov to see the current studies that are happening both for therapeutic benefit and for substance use disorder). While I do not know how the physician you describe prescribes or counsels their patients, I think it is important to remember that evidence-based medicine inherently involves knowledge to change as our understanding and recognition of how things work evolve. Who knows, maybe psilocybin (another schedule I drug) will be used to treat PTSD and other psychiatric conditions (a couple of clinical trials currently ongoing using psilocybin include a Yale study looking at psilocybin to treat OCD and a University of Washington study looking at treat frontline healthcare workers with psilocybin as an addition to psychotherapy).
Hippocratic_Oath
New Member
I am actually not upset about the waitlist. It is what it is. I do have a couple of acceptances but Feinberg is my top choice.I am sorry to hear about your waitlist. This process is extremely taxing. It is extremely prolonged. And it is unrelenting in terms the amount of stress it produces. As someone who is applying to both MD/PhD programs and MD programs and have yet to hear good news, I hear ya.
However, I do want to address a couple of things that you brought up in this post. Many jurisdictions, including the one that Northwestern is in, has legalized the use of medical and recreational cannabis. Currently, the American Academy of Family Physicians supports the use of cannabis for the use in chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting, specific pain and spasticity syndromes, and certain forms of childhood epilepsy (PMID: 34913644). Currently, there are active clinical trials looking at both the benefits and harms of cannabis use, including treating PTSD in veterans, helping with HIV neuropathic pain (you can check out clinicaltrials.gov to see the current studies that are happening both for therapeutic benefit and for substance use disorder). While I do not know how the physician you describe prescribes or counsels their patients, I think it is important to remember that evidence-based medicine inherently involves knowledge to change as our understanding and recognition of how things work evolve. Who knows, maybe psilocybin (another schedule I drug) will be used to treat PTSD and other psychiatric conditions (a couple of clinical trials currently ongoing using psilocybin include a Yale study looking at psilocybin to treat OCD and a University of Washington study looking at treat frontline healthcare workers with psilocybin as an addition to psychotherapy).
Thank you for all the info. I have also reviewed a lot of past and ongoing studies on the use of THC and CBD for various conditions. I am aware of the use of dronabinol (synthetic THC) for anorexia in AIDS patients and Cesamet for N/V associated with cancer chemotherapy and Epidiolex (plant-derived CBD) for Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome. These are FDA-approved uses that underwent rigorous research, testing, studies, and cGMP manufacturing; and these drugs have standardized quantities/potency that the doctors know what they are prescribing. I am not opposed to these legitimate use and studies. This physician is practicing in a way similar to a pill mill but prescribing marijuana with unknown potency (either under-labeled or over-labeled) from a dispensary instead of opioids. I do not believe there's any patient counseling on the use. He is doing this all for monetary gain...just sad.
Last edited:
WL, feeling pretty down since I thought the Interview went well. Do they do Post-II R or does everyone just get WL
I have the same question, can anybody help us out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you seen any post-II Rs reported here? If not, that is probably the answer! 🙂I have the same question, can anybody help us out?
KingJaiyeMD
New Member
Is there an accepted students groupchat or facebook page anywhere? Pretty sure I'm gonna go and would like to connect
KingJaiyeMD
New Member
Does anyone know what silence yesterday post-interview means? I'm trying, but it's hard to not get frustrated with how little respect schools (not just Feinberg by any means) show for their applicants in this process. I have A's elsewhere and am trying to start making decisions. If they know it's an R, I wish they would just tell me now and let me move on with my life.
Last edited:
Is there anything in your portal? That would be first place to look, since your e-mail might have just glitched, or gone to spam. If not, maybe it's worth a call, since everyone seems to have gotten something post-II, so it seems very unlikely they are singling you out for special, disrespectful treatment.Does anyone know what silence yesterday post-interview means? I'm trying, but it's hard to not get frustrated with how little respect schools (not just Feinberg by any means) show for their applicants in this process. I have A's elsewhere and am trying to start making decisions. If they know it's an R, I wish they would just tell me now and let me move on with my life.
Maybe you have an A and they mis-dialed your number, or don't a correct number for you? I'd explore the possibilities before calling them, in particular, out. They actually seem to have a pretty decent admissions office, and they also seem to have their act together, so I wouldn't be so fast to lump them in with some other schools that shall remain nameless.
Checked portal and spam multiple times, unfortunately. I do appreciate the optimism though 😊. I think there were a few others on this thread that also heard nothing yesterday. I totally do not mean to single Feinberg out (as I said in previous post) and thought their admissions office was lovely on interview day. I meant that statement very generally. I just said it on this thread because it was on my mind with Feinberg decisions (or lack thereof) coming out yesterday and wanted any others feeling the same way to know they aren't alone.Is there anything in your portal? That would be first place to look, since your e-mail might have just glitched, or gone to spam. If not, maybe it's worth a call, since everyone seems to have gotten something post-II, so it seems very unlikely they are singling you out for special, disrespectful treatment.
Maybe you have an A and they mis-dialed your number, or don't a correct number for you? I'd explore the possibilities before calling them, in particular, out. They actually seem to have a pretty decent admissions office, and they also seem to have their act together, so I wouldn't be so fast to lump them in with some other schools that shall remain nameless.
Letlifetakeitscourse
New Member
I completely understand your frustrations. I would also recommend checking your AMCAS portal which now has the select your school tab. There is a chance they updated AMCAS and you could see a decision there!Does anyone know what silence yesterday post-interview means? I'm trying, but it's hard to not get frustrated with how little respect schools (not just Feinberg by any means) show for their applicants in this process. I have A's elsewhere and am trying to start making decisions. If they know it's an R, I wish they would just tell me now and let me move on with my life.
Letlifetakeitscourse
New Member
Received an A yesterday after interviewing in January! Applied in November after debating if it was too late. Just goes to show that there is always a chance even late in the game. Good luck to everyone in the waitlist, hopefully the movement is favorable this year!
cofactorcoenzyme
Full Member
does anyone know whether northwestern is true pf for preclinical years? I know they are graded for clinical years. But for preclinical, is it true pf with no internal rankings? Is AOA determined solely by clinical years performance? Apologies if this has been asked, thank you!
serotonin1
Full Member
Late but WL! I knew I wanted to end up in Chicago or NYC so I can at least continue that dream 🙂
March 15th-22nd was the guesstimation I was told by the FinAid office.Does anyone know when financial aid/need based and merit based scholarships come out?
ChemistryisFON
Full Member
Did anyone receive a call from a medical student last week? I was accepted back in November and was just contacted out of the blue.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did as well! My guess is that it's part of a recruiting initiative that they have or something like that.Did anyone receive a call from a medical student last week? I was accepted back in November and was just contacted out of the blue.
Did anyone receive a call from a medical student last week? I was accepted back in November and was just contacted out of the blue.
Me too! I was pleasantly surprised but they were super nice!!I did as well! My guess is that it's part of a recruiting initiative that they have or something like that.
Yes, the student that called me said it was a sort of phone-A-thon 🙂I did as well! My guess is that it's part of a recruiting initiative that they have or something like that.
ChemistryisFON
Full Member
Do we think financial aid packages will be sent out this week or next?
ChemistryisFON
Full Member
I hope so… e-mail last week said “late next week” so unless they mean the weekends then idkShould we expect fin aid by tomorrow?
ElToquePeruanoMD
New Member
Hello! I just got a financial aid offer today. There is a part that reads:
"Please complete the Scholarship Offer Response Form via the FSM Applicant Portal notifying us of your acceptance of this merit scholarship prior to the uniform acceptance date of May 2nd or no later than 5 business days after receipt."
For those who may have gotten a similar letter, does this mean we have to accept/reject the offer within 5 days or can we wait until May 2nd? Thanks in advance!
"Please complete the Scholarship Offer Response Form via the FSM Applicant Portal notifying us of your acceptance of this merit scholarship prior to the uniform acceptance date of May 2nd or no later than 5 business days after receipt."
For those who may have gotten a similar letter, does this mean we have to accept/reject the offer within 5 days or can we wait until May 2nd? Thanks in advance!
ChemistryisFON
Full Member
Does anyone at Northwestern get full rides?
I think they will cover up to full tuition in aid, but not full COADoes anyone at Northwestern get full rides?
dojacat2000
Full Member
Are all the offers done today or no?
cofactorcoenzyme
Full Member
Wondering the same…did not receive anything today 🙁Are all the offers done today or no?
cofactorcoenzyme
Full Member
Did anyone else get an offer today? When would it be appropriate to reach out to the FA office and politely ask about aid?
curiousmed1234567
New Member
Did anyone get a need-based aid package today or is it only merit scholarships?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
beepbopbeepbop
Full Member
Has anyone received a FA package since last Friday?
beepbeep197
Full Member
why are you coming for my username broHas anyone received a FA package since last Friday?
downwardbound26
Full Member
I received mine yesterdayHas anyone received a FA package since last Friday?
beepbopbeepbop
Full Member
Did you receive it at 5 pm?I received mine yesterday