2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else still waiting for an II?
I'm sorry to tell you that interviews at OHSU have concluded for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Ahhh just got placed on hold today, 3/3/23. Interviewed 12/8/22. LizzyM: 67.20. Oregon resident.

1677876003228.png

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it more promising at this point to get a post II hold or not hear anything back yet from your II? I haven’t been put on hold yet and haven’t gotten the R.

Also - if you’re put on hold can you get an A before April 30th or will that be the time to hear back?

Also - if you’re put on hold can you get an A before April 30th or will that be the time to hear back?

They say you can hear back at any time (but will for sure hear by April 30th), but my understanding of what others have said is that most people will not hear back until closer to April 30th

Got accepted yesterday!!! Interviewed on 12/12/22. Good luck to those still waiting :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Being on hold vs no decision is just of matter of whether you’ve been discussed after interview yet, so it doesn’t mean anything either way. If you’re put on hold that means your applicant score is high enough that OHSU likes you a lot!

Just thought I’d mention the that from our student update emails there were a little bit fewer applicants this year vs past years so what’s good news for those on hold, stay strong!

Reactions: 1 users
Being on hold vs no decision is just of matter of whether you’ve been discussed after interview yet, so it doesn’t mean anything either way. If you’re put on hold that means your applicant score is high enough that OHSU likes you a lot!

Just thought I’d mention the that from our student update emails there were a little bit fewer applicants this year vs past years so what’s good news for those on hold, stay strong!
Your responses always give me hope. Thanks BigPremedGuy 🙏

Interviewed 1/13 as a (very) non-trad Mission Candidate, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I am honestly so worried ... OSHU is absolutely my top choice and I've been waitlisted from the 1 other school I interviewed with. Should I be concerned because I haven't heard back? :cryi:

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 1/13 as a (very) non-trad Mission Candidate, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I am honestly so worried ... OSHU is absolutely my top choice and I've been waitlisted from the 1 other school I interviewed with. Should I be concerned because I haven't heard back? :cryi:

For those who have interviewed at OHSU:
1. If you have not heard anything back, you just have not been discussed at committee yet. Relax.
2. If you have been put on hold, congratulations. So has almost everyone else who will get in. You're very much in the running. Relax.
3. If you're in either of the categories above, things can change at any time between now and April 30, but that has more to do with internal logistics than you as a candidate. Relax!

I know how hard it is to wait, and I know how easy it is to make up scenarios in your head about why you haven't heard anything. There's really no benefit to worrying - OHSU admissions works on its own timeline and it has very little to do with you as a candidate.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unsurprising but pre-II R today finally lol

• Care
  • Sad
I interviewed 11/3, haven't heard anything yet.. I know my status at every other school I applied too..

Anyone know what percentage of acceptances have gone out? Don’t they have to send out as many As as there are seats by sometime in March?

Anyone know what percentage of acceptances have gone out? Don’t they have to send out as many As as there are seats by sometime in March?
at this point, they have sent out roughly (maybe just under) the same number of acceptances as they have slots in the class. obviously they ultimately admit many more people than they have slots, given that admitted applicants may or may not choose to attend! so not having an acceptance yet doesn't mean you won't get one, that is just where they are currently at in the cycle.

at this point, they have sent out roughly (maybe just under) the same number of acceptances as they have slots in the class. obviously they ultimately admit many more people than they have slots, given that admitted applicants may or may not choose to attend! so not having an acceptance yet doesn't mean you won't get one, that is just where they are currently at in the cycle.
So basically like overbooking a flight….?

Take the voucher you guys…. This is my Hail Mary A.

So basically like overbooking a flight….?

Take the voucher you guys…. This is my Hail Mary A.
Kind of similar, except its like if you had a flight where you could confidently estimate a solid 1/3 or even 1/2 of people who bought a ticket wouldn't show up. Because people can accept and hold multiple As prior to the end of April, there is a not insignificant percentage of offers that will not develop into a matriculation. Most schools have a formula for estimating the number of offers they can safely make prior to the end of April. For example, private schools with high cost of attendance tend to send out pretty high numbers of offers, because it can be really hard to entice a student to attend if they have a lower cost, comparable option. So they look at historical data, and maybe see that 50% of their offers don't end with matriculation. So maybe they send out 180% of their total desired class number, assuming that 1 out of every 2 students will turn you down. As a school you REALLY want to avoid sending out too many offers, because if you overestimate the number of people who turn you down, you can end up with too large of a class. I've heard that can really mess some stuff up for the school. So it's safer to send a lower number of offers than what you think you may have to send, and then ultimately pull from the wait list after April 30th.

Rooting for you :) hope that voucher gets cashed!

I don’t know how to feel about this as an applicant on hold. The first part made me sad. The ending gave me hope lol

OHSU accepts I wanna say 230-250 for a class of 150 by the way, that’s a guess and might be a little high, but the point is you’ll see more acceptances go out than spots for the class, so don’t get too worried about that number you see.
I just want to say Thank You.

OHSU is my only hope now. Still on hold.

it says info about interview and mmi, thats it. no new updates
I think that's normal. In last year's thread there were people interviewed in October who heard nothing until March, so I don't think the admissions office forgot about you. They are probably just trying to set a Guinness World Record for longest interview turnaround time. If they get it I'm sure your name will be in the entry.

I think that's normal. In last year's thread there were people interviewed in October who heard nothing until March, so I don't think the admissions office forgot about you. They are probably just trying to set a Guinness World Record for longest interview turnaround time. If they get it I'm sure your name will be in the entry.
Haha ill try and keep that in mind. I definitely cant help but feel frustrated. I cant make many summer plans since each school has different orientation dates :I

Were there historically a lot of post-II R given on 4/30?
Idk, but I feel like if they’re gonna give you a flat-out post-iI R that’s when it’ll happen. I haven’t seen anyone post about any post-iI Rs yet so I bet that’s what will happen :(

Idk, but I feel like if they’re gonna give you a flat-out post-iI R that’s when it’ll happen. I haven’t seen anyone post about any post-iI Rs yet so I bet that’s what will happen :(
Long hold just to be R is brutal but I saw it happen in last year’s thread….

Trying to keep it together but damn with some many moving pieces in this process that affects so many pieces in your life is soooo hard. A vent.

that would be super messed up. makes me not even want to go.

To the ones on hold and has OHSU as ONLY hope:

How are you navigating this stage/time considering the new app cycle is about to start? Especially to the ones considering re-taking the MCAT?

that would be super messed up. makes me not even want to go.
I remember when I was in my HS’s health careers program and our counselor at the time even warned us of how slow OHSU is and how she’s seen kids have to make the decision of running out of time to accept an offer bc OHSU was their #1 and they still hadn’t heard back yet. She pretty much advised us to apply to other places lol 😅

To the ones on hold and has OHSU as ONLY hope:

How are you navigating this stage/time considering the new app cycle is about to start? Especially to the ones considering re-taking the MCAT?
As someone who had OHSU as an only hope in the 2020 cycle, interviewed October, placed on hold in Dec and didn't get the R until 4/30 and is a reapp this cycle, I thoroughly enjoyed the extra year I took between reapplying. I used it as time to explore other interests and build my application (including mcat retake in 2021)--which is hilarious that I'm kinda back in the same boat w OHSU as my only hope (imo my app is great but I applied super late in the cycle so entirely on me and I'm mentally/emotionally prepared to apply again right off the bat this time). For now I'm applying to new jobs and trying to stay busy the next few weeks. Big proponent of take your time, enjoy the ride, and if you want it enough--you'll get there one way or another. But everyone is different! Best of luck however you choose to approach it!

As someone who had OHSU as an only hope in the 2020 cycle, interviewed October, placed on hold in Dec and didn't get the R until 4/30 and is a reapp this cycle, I thoroughly enjoyed the extra year I took between reapplying. I used it as time to explore other interests and build my application (including mcat retake in 2021)--which is hilarious that I'm kinda back in the same boat w OHSU as my only hope (imo my app is great but I applied super late in the cycle so entirely on me and I'm mentally/emotionally prepared to apply again right off the bat this time). For now I'm applying to new jobs and trying to stay busy the next few weeks. Big proponent of take your time, enjoy the ride, and if you want it enough--you'll get there one way or another. But everyone is different! Best of luck however you choose to approach it!
Great plans here! When I didn’t get in I took an extra gap year because I wasn’t ready to reapply with an app that was significantly better and that ended up being the single most helpful thing I did when reapplying. I think this is great advice, especially for people who heard back so late in the game.

I’ve also heard of people getting in without doing anything more but another cycle+more clinical hours, but taking an additional year will only help show dedication to the ADCOMS

Also, most decisions that come on April 30th are actually holds! So I think generally most people who get straight R’s get that decision back right after their post interview decision.

Great plans here! When I didn’t get in I took an extra gap year because I wasn’t ready to reapply with an app that was significantly better and that ended up being the single most helpful thing I did when reapplying. I think this is great advice, especially for people who heard back so late in the game.

I’ve also heard of people getting in without doing anything more but another cycle+more clinical hours, but taking an additional year will only help show dedication to the ADCOMS

Also, most decisions that come on April 30th are actually holds! So I think generally most people who get straight R’s get that decision back right after their post interview decision.
So you’re thinking is that if you’re interviewed in August, put on hold in November, it is unlikely, though possible because anything is possible, that lengthy tenure in the hold pool will just sadly turn into an R?

This was my thinking too until I saw last year’s thread.

1/13 interview, no hold, just radio silence so far. Is this a bad sign? I'm actually feeling worse that I haven't heard anything and am afraid there's just an R waiting for me :(

1/13 interview, no hold, just radio silence so far. Is this a bad sign? I'm actually feeling worse that I haven't heard anything and am afraid there's just an R waiting for me :(
I wouldn’t worry too much. It just means your person hasn’t gone to the meeting yet to discuss your app. It sounds like a ton of people have been waiting 10 + weeks for responses unfortunately

Hope everyone hears back soon!

Would any current students be willing to answer some questions for me about OHSU?

Hope everyone hears back soon!

Would any current students be willing to answer some questions for me about OHSU?
Go for it. There are several of us who lurk here. Feel free to DM me or post here. I'm just on an overnight shift, so I'm super bored.

Go for it. There are several of us who lurk here. Feel free to DM me or post here. I'm just on an overnight shift, so I'm super bored.
How is it balancing preclinical w clinical content as opposed to having 2 years of all classroom learning? Is it hard or do you like it?

How is it balancing preclinical w clinical content as opposed to having 2 years of all classroom learning? Is it hard or do you like it?
I'm not sure what you mean.

We have about 15 months of straight preclinical content, then we take Step 1, and then the rest of the time we spend in clinical rotations. It's pretty cleanly divided. We do have a preceptorship in which we follow a provider around for four hours a week during preclinical, but I wouldn't say that's really an example of mixing preclinical with clinical from a content or studying perspective.

Just saw this on MSAR for what its worth:

Alternate list notified.April 28, 2023
Those choosing to matriculate in the incoming class must select "commit to enroll" by this date.July 17, 2023

Acceptance notice - latest date sent
August 07, 2023

I'm not sure what you mean.

We have about 15 months of straight preclinical content, then we take Step 1, and then the rest of the time we spend in clinical rotations. It's pretty cleanly divided. We do have a preceptorship in which we follow a provider around for four hours a week during preclinical, but I wouldn't say that's really an example of mixing preclinical with clinical from a content or studying perspective.
Ohhh ok I see, I guess I misunderstood them during my interview orientation then. That makes sense, thanks! :)

placed on hold official today via the portal. Formally stating that they still haven't discussed me to the committee yet 4 months later. No email notification yet. interviewed 11/3

placed on hold official today via the portal. Formally stating that they still haven't discussed me to the committee yet 4 months later. No email notification yet. interviewed 11/3
No, if you have been put on hold, then you definitely have been discussed at a committee meeting. You're just now on hold, which is where most people end up.

I'm new on here and pretty late in the game navigating this as a nontrad. I am anxiously awaiting like many others. My other school needs my various paperwork and second deposit of 1000 dollars by March 31st. Any decision would be a dream so I can move forward with my life. My husband and 2 kids' futures depend on it, too. Thanks for everyone's posts and openness, and hope all is going well for you this cycle.

No, if you have been put on hold, then you definitely have been discussed at a committee meeting. You're just now on hold, which is where most people end up.
Okay. I see. Do you know what they mean by ", the Admissions Committee must put many applicants in the hold pool until they have had a chance to discuss each of their interviewed candidates." It just seemed like theyre saying I havent been discussed but maybe I misunderstood then

Okay. I see. Do you know what they mean by ", the Admissions Committee must put many applicants in the hold pool until they have had a chance to discuss each of their interviewed candidates." It just seemed like theyre saying I havent been discussed but maybe I misunderstood then
Yeah, so what really happens is that they meet to discuss you and they give your application a score. If your score is above a certain level, you get admitted outright. If it's below a certain level, you get put on hold. If it's below a specific cutoff, you get the post-II R. The outright A vs hold cutoff gets lower and lower as the cycle goes on, but the reality is that a huge proportion of applicants get put in the hold pool and reevaluated in April.

Basically, if you're in the hold pool, it's good news. They like you! They'll have another look in April and put together the rest of the class. Make sense?

Hold is great news at OHSU. You're not in, but you're also not waitlisted. You're just...still in contention. I know it's tough, but now it's just a matter of waiting to see how it all shakes out. MOST of any OHSU class is made up of people from the hold pool, so take heart.

Everyone gets their score, then as time goes by and more candidates are interviewed, they lower the score for admissions, then send acceptances to everyone with a score above the new threshold. Once they’ve discussed 80% of the candidates interviewed, they’ll lower the threshold until they have admitted approximately 80% of their target number of admissions. Once April comes around, they take the top several dozen scored applicants and give them a number on the waitlist. Last year I think we went deep into the 40s on the waitlist if I remember correctly. Well over half the students given admissions are placed in the hold pool first, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that number was up over 75% of the total admissions. I can’t remember their exact rubric for scoring, so these numbers might be way off, but the interview is like 40% of your score, grades and mcat are somewhere around 30%, and the primary and secondary applications are the rest.

Reactions: 3 users