2022-2023 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welp finally got that pre-II R (IS) šŸ˜ 
Tfw a T20 thinks you're among the top 10% of their applicants but OHSU doesn't even think you crack the top 55% of Oregonians........this process truly is one giant question mark
Best of luck to everyone still in the running!
I don't think its either yield protection or "OHSU" not thinking you're in the top 55%. I think the main factor is that OHSU seems to mostly make decisions based on a small number of subjective evaluations by file readers. As a result, you could submit the same application two years in a row and one year get an interview and not get one the next (as people above experienced) just by random chance of which rater you got assigned. It can also work the other way -- lots of people get rejected one year and then interviewed and accepted the next.

So I'd rephrase it as "one random person who read your file on OHSU's behalf" didn't think you're in the top 55%.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received my pre-II rejection (OOS). Good luck to everyone that is still in the running.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R, IS, interviewed here last cycle in October. This one hurts... really made an effort to take their post-interview R feedback into my reapp, and didn't get a chance to interview again. Good luck to everyone else! Portland is a great place to call home.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-II R, IS, interviewed here last cycle in October. This one hurts... really made an effort to take their post-interview R feedback into my reapp, and didn't get a chance to interview again. Good luck to everyone else! Portland is a great place to call home.
Yeah, that was a hard thing for me to process as a life-long Oregon resident. Still, I feel confident that we're all on the right path and that everything will work out just fine for us. We've got a lifetime of meaningful work and fulfillment ahead of us. Congratulations on your other acceptances and best of luck, future colleague.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, that was a hard thing for me to process as a life-long Oregon resident. Still, I feel confident that we're all on the right path and that everything will work out just fine for us. We've got a lifetime of meaningful work and fulfillment ahead of us. Congratulations on your other acceptances and best of luck, future colleague.
You as well! All the best during your time in med school. Maybe I'll see you back here down the line

Reactions: 1 users
Got the A as an email yesterday. OOS but WICHE area. Secondary Submitted 7/27/22 and Interview completed 12/6/22. No portal updates until the acceptance on 2/13/23.

I was surprised they didn't try to call me, and I haven't received any of their emails about 2nd look days yet.

I finally watched the campus tour video they showed during the interview. I'd looked away during the interview itself because it was so pretty I couldn't handle seeing it and knowing I might still get rejected. I think this is my top choice at the moment!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Iā€™m sorry that happened, just judging by this comment you seem very thoughtful and composed in the face of disappointment. This process sucks and so much of it is out of our control and is completely unreflective of who you are as a person, all the best to youā¤ļø

• Care
just to let everyone know, interviews are concluding this or next week, confirmed by update emails current students get. this is a really hard process and Iā€™ve been on the rejected end before so anyone with questions or needing to vent feel free to reach out to me, Iā€™ve been therešŸ™

Edit: those of you still waiting post interview stay strong, only a few more months left

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Iā€™m sorry that happened, just judging by this comment you seem very thoughtful and composed in the face of disappointment. This process sucks and so much of it is out of our control and is completely unreflective of who you are as a person, all the best to youā¤ļø
Hey BigPremedGuy! Iā€™ve read through your journey in last yearā€™s SDN. This is my first time applying but I loved seeing your posts from last year. Hope all is going well for you šŸ˜

• Love
Hey BigPremedGuy! Iā€™ve read through your journey in last yearā€™s SDN. This is my first time applying but I loved seeing your posts from last year. Hope all is going well for you šŸ˜
Thanks! Iā€™m currently procrastinating finals rn lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just to let everyone know, interviews are concluding this or next week, confirmed by update emails current students get. this is a really hard process and Iā€™ve been on the rejected end before so anyone with questions or needing to vent feel free to reach out to me, Iā€™ve been therešŸ™

Edit: those of you still waiting post interview stay strong, only a few more months left
Any insight into the scholarship process? Have they been giving them out with admissions?

Any insight into the scholarship process? Have they been giving them out with admissions?
I know that for certain ones like presidential scholarship they will call you and let you know itā€™s been awarded to you without any further effort from you outside your applications, otherwise Iā€™m honestly not sure, last years thread might be more helpful. after your first block all students get a ~2K per year scholarship if you stay in good academic standing too

So does that mean once interviews conclude theyā€™ll start moving people off the hold list? Or should we expect to wait until the very last moment? (April 30th) šŸ˜…

So does that mean once interviews conclude theyā€™ll start moving people off the hold list? Or should we expect to wait until the very last moment? (April 30th) šŸ˜…
Aā€™s will probably continue to happen at the same rate up until the last day. The limiting factor is are the committee meetings.

Once on hold, youā€™ve already been discussed so your score is final. but every week the score for an outright A decreases a little bit up until April 30th where it reaches itā€™s last movement and final decisions go out. So some people do get Aā€™s before that, But they say most (school says about 80%) go out the final day. April 30th is when the threshold score drops way more significantly and most get in, or at least on the alternate list

• Hmm
Depends on the program. MD/MPH is June 26. Regular MD orientation is probably around August 7 because white coat ceremony is August 11
Per the website, the "Transition to Medical School" course, which sounds like their orientation, is from Aug 7-11. Info for this is at the bottom of the linked page

OHSU accepts I wanna say 230-250 for a class of 150 by the way, thatā€™s a guess and might be a little high, but the point is youā€™ll see more acceptances go out than spots for the class, so donā€™t get too worried about that number you see.

Reactions: 4 users
I received an invitation to interview for a scholarship a couple weeks after my acceptance came. Not sure if the process is the same for all the scholarships, but the one I'm interviewing for, you'll get an email informing you that you've been selected as a candidate and asking you to confirm your intent to apply.
How many weeks did it take for you to hear back post-acceptance? Did you complete your federal aid forms prior?

Hold movement doesnā€™t come until May with the commit to enroll option
Online it says everyone on hold will know their status (A/W/R) by April 30th but that updates can be made to your status at any time prior

Hold movement doesnā€™t come until May with the commit to enroll option
You're confusing hold with wait-list. Everyone on hold will hear back no later than April 30: the options at that point are accept, reject, or wait-list. The vast majority of people on hold will hear back in one bunch on or just before April 30. Some will hear sporadically between now and then.

I interviewed first week of October, got my acceptance in the first wave just prior to Thanksgiving. Was invited to apply/interview for the scholarship first week of December, had interview on their first day of interviews third week of January, got the scholarship offer almost exactly a month later. I still havenā€™t filled out my FAFSA because Iā€™ve been lazy, thanks for the reminder
Thanks so much for this, and of course! No, thank you! This is really good to know. Appreciate it!

How do you get into the accepted FB page?
They just sent out another email this morning with the link for the FB page and Discord. For those still wondering, it seems like 106 offers have been made.

For current accepted applicants: how do you rank OHSU on your school list? Iā€™m curious if most people who are accepted early have ranked OHSU as their top choice or are still hoping to get in elsewhere šŸ˜…

For current accepted applicants: how do you rank OHSU on your school list? Iā€™m curious if most people who are accepted early have ranked OHSU as their top choice or are still hoping to get in elsewhere šŸ˜…
OHSU is at the top of my list. I'm waitlisted at two other schools (one I rank higher for IS and the other is about equal), but if I'm fortunate enough to get off of one or both, I'm definitely giving OHSU some "initiative points" because they were the first to interview me and the first to accept me this cycle.

OHSU is at the top of my list. I'm waitlisted at two other schools (one I rank higher for IS and the other is about equal), but if I'm fortunate enough to get off of one or both, I'm definitely giving OHSU some "initiative points" because they were the first to interview me and the first to accept me this cycle.
Thanks for the response! Ive been curious since I assume the people accepted first are usually all-around strong candidates. Fingers crossed your #1 works out but if not maybe Iā€™ll see you at OHSU (if I get off hold šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚)

Hi all, I interviewed on 1/13/23, Oregon Heritage. My portal still says "PLEASE NOTE: We will update your status here as soon as a decision has been made." Does this mean they're still waiting on my interview to be presented to the committee? I don't expect to hear back for a while but also am antsy and check the portal every day :lol:

Hi all, I interviewed on 1/13/23, Oregon Heritage. My portal still says "PLEASE NOTE: We will update your status here as soon as a decision has been made." Does this mean they're still waiting on my interview to be presented to the committee? I don't expect to hear back for a while but also am antsy and check the portal every day :lol:
I also interviewed in Jan - I'm pretty sure everyone has that message until a decision is made. You'll get an email notifying you when your portal changes! (and i feel you on being antsy...)

You should receive an email when a decision has been made.

Word to the wise, though: you might want to change your username to something anonymous. Not that I think you are going to do/say anything that you wouldn't want an adcom to see, but I definitely was one of your interviewers that day and remember your name. It's generally a better idea to keep your identity under wraps on this forum, especially while decisions are being made. :) Adcoms lurk on this forum, for certain.

Hold status as of 2/24, interviewed mid November. Better than last years outright rejection, good luck to all my fellow holdies :) you're doing great

• Care
You should receive an email when a decision has been made.

Word to the wise, though: you might want to change your username to something anonymous. Not that I think you are going to do/say anything that you wouldn't want an adcom to see, but I definitely was one of your interviewers that day and remember your name. It's generally a better idea to keep your identity under wraps on this forum, especially while decisions are being made. :) Adcoms lurk on this forum, for certain.
OMG I did not even think of this. Thank you for the tip!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Since April 30th is a Sunday will announcements go out on Friday the 28th?

Since April 30th is a Sunday will announcements go out on Friday the 28th?
Ya, should be Friday before. I think 30th was Saturday my year and I got my decision around 1130am that Friday, first with a portal update then an email notifying me of that update 20-30 mins later or so

Same! Interviewed 12/8.

Yeah this just means your interviewer has not met with the committee yet, so you have not been discussed post interview. Once they meet you will either get an H/A/R
Same! Interviewed 12/8.