2022-2023 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an interview invite the other day and scheduled it for 3/14 because of work. A physician I work w/ strongly suggested that I try to get that moved up, since spots are filling up each day. I emailed admissions asking if I could take one of the earlier dates listed; now I'm just worried that I screwed myself by not choosing the earliest date available. Thoughts?
For now, choose the earliest date available just in case admissions can’t provide an earlier date. I would imagine that they would be willing to accommodate an earlier interview time, but it all depends on what they say. Good luck on your interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/16, waitlisted 2/15...How long do you think it takes for some movement on the waitlist? I had a great interview, and am a 2nd year biomed at PCOM GA. Term is ending soon so maybe grades submission will create movement. But my MCAT is weak (499), and my biomed gpa is 3.45. Undergrad GPA was like 3.35. I should be happy about being waitlisted but it feels like more...waiting lol

Interviewed 1/16, waitlisted 2/15...How long do you think it takes for some movement on the waitlist? I had a great interview, and am a 2nd year biomed at PCOM GA. Term is ending soon so maybe grades submission will create movement. But my MCAT is weak (499), and my biomed gpa is 3.45. Undergrad GPA was like 3.35. I should be happy about being waitlisted but it feels like more...waiting lol
you did their biomed program?

They are still actively sending out IIs/As. I wouldn’t expect any waitlist movement until the beginning of May when people have to start reducing the amount of As they’re holding. Even at that point it will be a slow trickle off the waitlist most likely until classes start in august.

Reactions: 1 users
Biomed at PCOM GA??

One of the PCOM new class FB has MCAT Bros as the administrator. Is MCAT Bros associated w PCOM? Graduates from PCOM?
nope. MCAT bros is an organization that helps people with the mcat, but idk this year he wants to start helping incoming students connect so he created a fb group for every school!

One of the PCOM new class FB has MCAT Bros as the administrator. Is MCAT Bros associated w PCOM? Graduates from PCOM?
STAY AWAY FROM THEM

PS, speaking of nutty people in the premed world, did anyone see that mess with the PCOM kid on Reddit tonight? What a disaster. Reminder not to doxx yourself on here or r/premed.

Do you guys think they will release more decisions this week? Or do they do only do biweekly committee meetings?

STAY AWAY FROM THEM

PS, speaking of nutty people in the premed world, did anyone see that mess with the PCOM kid on Reddit tonight? What a disaster. Reminder not to doxx yourself on here or r/premed.

I sincerely hope that person didn’t actually email like that

Members don't see this ad :)
What happened?

Please do tell! I can’t seem to find anything on r/premed that supposedly caused a rise on Reddit.

What happened?
I don’t want to cause a major distraction from the point of this thread so I’ll try to cover it in one post…this is a good example for all of us on what NOT to do.

Basically, this guy decided to send a really unprofessional email to all the programs he hasn’t heard back from yet. Like as a joke, I guess? Then he screenshotted the email (with his full name and picture in it) and posted it to Reddit.

If the email wasn’t bad enough, the kid doxxed himself in other unprofessional posts. Like, to the point where everyone knows his name, the school he’s accepted to, and the schools he’s waitlisted at. Also posted full pics of his face and his LinkedIn URL.

After getting ripped by comments (even a mod said something) he deleted the post and most of his profile, but STILL has personal info on there. This is common sense, but just reminding everyone you should be anonymous on these websites.

To remove ambiguity, I shared a meme of pretending to send an application status inquiry with emojis to non-existent schools. It was not received well, and has since been deleted. Feel free to DM me any additional questions or concerns.

EDIT: and for transparency, here are my reddit and LinkedIn accounts
Why doxx yourself here by posting your LinkedIn?

I am already doxxed here. I am removing ambiguity and being transparent.
I respect that but I still don’t see the point in further doing it with your LinkedIn! You’ve already been transparent!

There will be a Google Hangout this Friday (2/24) from 5-6 pm to discuss what "failing" in medical school looks like and what happens in case you find yourself in that boat or if you end up deciding to take a temporary leave of absence. This is primarily geared toward students who are intending to attend PCOM (mostly since I do not know other schools' processes) but anyone is allowed to join. However, we will not be answering questions about applying to PCOM in this Hangout. Here is the link!
Meet

II today, complete mid-October. There were lots of dates open until 4/2023.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’ve been on 7 bars for a while now. It hasn’t been the full 6 weeks yet. Should I call them and ask or just wait.
Also should I send a short interest letter, I’ve already sent an update letter also stating my interest in the school after my interview.

I’ve been on 7 bars for a while now. It hasn’t been the full 6 weeks yet. Should I call them and ask or just wait.
Also should I send a short interest letter, I’ve already sent an update letter also stating my interest in the school after my interview.
What exactly do you mean by “a while”?
It wouldn’t hurt to call and ask but you’re most likely going to get the answer that your decision will be sent out soon, since that has happened the other times people have called to ask about it.
As Goro has said, adcoms don’t typically believe in interests letters and also on PCOMs site they explicitly state what sort of updates they are interested in. It would serve you no purpose at this point since seven bars means a decision has already been made on your application, so it won’t change anything.

Your best bet is to just wait; if it has been stuck at seven bars past six weeks/2+ weeks after it has updated to seven bars, then I would call and ask.

I feel like it certainly doesn’t hurt to call, if you haven’t already!

Once you're on 7 bars, it usually doesn't take them that long to provide an official decision. It would be a good idea to give them a call to see where they're at in terms of releasing your decision.

For the interest letter, since you had already expressed interest in the school with your update letter, it might not be necessary to send one. If you're going to mention about specific things that PCOM offers that would align with your interests and/or would aid in your development of becoming a physician, then an interest letter may be good idea if that's the case.

I applied way back in September/October but have not heard back. Does anyone know from past years if interviews are sent out later?

Hey y'all I have my interview tomorrow and I wanted to confirm it's closed file right? The email suggests that it is but SDN says otherwise lol.

Also if anyone knows the affiliated hospitals for clerkship or where to find them please let me know! I've been doing my research and I can't find a recent comprehensive list. Please and thank you!

Hey y'all I have my interview tomorrow and I wanted to confirm it's closed file right? The email suggests that it is but SDN says otherwise lol.

Also if anyone knows the affiliated hospitals for clerkship or where to find them please let me know! I've been doing my research and I can't find a recent comprehensive list. Please and thank you!
The interview is indeed closed file. They’ll just know your name and that you’ve been selected to be interviewed.

In terms of the affiliated hospitals, I unfortunately do not know. However, during your interview welcome, there will be some M2s that can answer any of your questions, including what the school’s affiliated hospitals are. Best of luck to you!!!

Y’all I’m super atheist but I’ve been PRAYING EVERY DAY for an invite here 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users

Philly: Lankeanu Hospital, Jefferson NE, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Nazareth Hospital/ Mercy
Outside Philly: Geisinger, Christiana Care, Reading Hospital, Suburban Hospital, AtlantiCare, Bayhealth, for core rotations housing is often provided if you're rotating outside of Philly.

Thanks for sharing! Do you remember if the dates were until beginning of April or through the end of April?
I don’t, unfortunately. But there were at least 10 interview dates open and I saw earlier in this thread that they may extend into late(?) April to offer more interviews if needed!

I wish they extended the amount of interviews for the amount of slots they had open ... the wait is excruciating

I was wondering if I should send a letter of intent to PCOM. I interviewed with PCOM on 1/27. I have had successful interviews at others schools, but PCOM is definitely my top choice. My stats are cgpa 3.7x, sgpa 3.8x and mcat 50x. I am from just outside of Philly and shadowed a physician who went to PCOM. I know it has not been 6 weeks since my interview date, but I was unsure if a letter of intent would be appropriate in my case.

I was wondering if I should send a letter of intent to PCOM. I interviewed with PCOM on 1/27. I have had successful interviews at others schools, but PCOM is definitely my top choice. My stats are cgpa 3.7x, sgpa 3.8x and mcat 50x. I am from just outside of Philly and shadowed a physician who went to PCOM. I know it has not been 6 weeks since my interview date, but I was unsure if a letter of intent would be appropriate in my case.
While it won’t hurt you to submit a letter of intent (apparently in some very rare cases it actually has hurt them), most adcoms on SDN agree that they dismiss LOIs since you can just send them to any school. Also PCOM states that they only accept updates for GPA and MCAT scores.

Here is an interesting take on LOIs that received Goro approval and some other interesting discussion on the topic, basically only send one if you have acceptances elsewhere to schools that are more “prestigious.”

Also for my fellow waitlisted, just try to find some calm in the fact that PCOM-PA has about a 64% post interview acceptance rate, which includes waitlist acceptances. So while everyone without an A needs to start preparing for reapplying, there is still an incredibly good chance of getting that A from PCOM.

Last edited:
While it won’t hurt you to submit a letter of intent (apparently in some very rare cases it actually has hurt them), most adcoms on SDN agree that they dismiss LOIs since you can just send them to any school. Also PCOM states that they only accept updates for GPA and MCAT scores.

Here is an interesting take on LOIs that received Goro approval and some other interesting discussion on the topic, basically only send one if you have acceptances elsewhere to schools that are more “prestigious.”

Also for my fellow waitlisted, just try to find some calm in the fact that PCOM-PA has about a 64% post interview acceptance rate, which includes waitlist acceptances. So while everyone without an A needs to start preparing for reapplying, there is still an incredibly good chance of getting that A from PCOM.
Thank you for that link. I just looked at it, I appreciate the help! I have not been officially waitlisted which is why I was unsure if sending a letter of intent could help when a decision is made. However, that stat makes me feel better!

Thank you for that link. I just looked at it, I appreciate the help! I have not been officially waitlisted which is why I was unsure if sending a letter of intent could help when a decision is made. However, that stat makes me feel better!
You definitely seem to have a good chance just based on your stats and seeing as you’ve had other successful interviews already (any As?), I think you have a high likelihood getting an A and I really wouldn’t worry at this point.

This is truly just my opinion and what I would do if I was in a similar position (I’ve only had one II and one W); If by the off chance you do get waitlisted, and if you have any acceptances to any DO school that is equivalent to PCOM, I say send them a LOI.

You definitely seem to have a good chance just based on your stats and seeing as you’ve had other successful interviews already (any As?), I think you have a high likelihood getting an A and I really wouldn’t worry at this point.

This is truly just my opinion and what I would do if I was in a similar position (I’ve only had one II and one W); If by the off chance you do get waitlisted, and if you have any acceptances to any DO school that is equivalent to PCOM, I say send them a LOI.
Yes I have had 4 interviews to DO schools beyond PCOM all of which resulted in As. I am hoping you are right about me getting an A here. I greatly appreciate the advice!

my portal is saying 7 bars now… i’m literally shaking. No actual update available though. This makes me so nervous with it being the weekend. Anyone understand what this means? or is it just a glitch… It’s been about 4 weeks from my interview