2022-2023 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed 2/21 and I'm still at 5 bars- I scheduled an email to be set in the morning to inquire and make sure that on their side of the system I've interviewed and everything...I know this is neurotic but I can't help it. I'm really considering sending a letter of interest because this is my first choice. Does anyone have experience with that for this school particularly post-interview? Anyone know if it'll be positively or negatively received or make no difference? I can't really gauge how my interview went which is why I'm so anxious. I don't think it went badly but the more I think about it the more I feel like I could've said...

It’s been couple business days so you’re right to ask, I think people did have an issue with this bf and had it fixed soon. Have you called and asked about your 5 bar status? I find that calling bw 1 pm to 3 pm you get a high chance of someone responding! try during your lunch break or something. They have responded to emails before but they do be slow with it.

I keep seeing letter of interest on this thread and the pros and cons, so idk. But i’ll say i personally did it an LOI after the interview and received A. Whatever you felt your interview was, its okay, and ultimately no reason ruminating about it bc you completed that step! easier said than done, i know. Don’t do an LOI just bc you felt the interview was meh though!! I had some tangible updates about things i’ve learned at my job and also detailed reasons why i’d accept including connections and wanting to stay near my support system like my family and partner.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s been couple business days so you’re right to ask, I think people did have an issue with this bf and had it fixed soon. Have you called and asked about your 5 bar status? I find that calling bw 1 pm to 3 pm you get a high chance of someone responding! try during your lunch break or something. They have responded to emails before but they do be slow with it.

I keep seeing letter of interest on this thread and the pros and cons, so idk. But i’ll say i personally did it an LOI after the interview and received A. Whatever you felt your interview was, its okay, and ultimately no reason ruminating about it bc you completed that step! easier said than done, i know. Don’t do an LOI just bc you felt the interview was meh though!! I had some tangible updates about things i’ve learned at my job and also detailed reasons why i’d accept including connections and wanting to stay near my support system like my family and partner.
Omg thank you for this validation I really needed it. And you're right- I got an auto-response on my email but I'll follow up this afternoon. Would you mind if I PM you about your LOI? I also have tangible updates and reasons I could add that I was too nervous to even remember during the interview lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
received II 2/20. how long after do they send your interview time after scheduling a day?

received II 2/20. how long after do they send your interview time after scheduling a day?
You should be able to see it under your "Interview Information" tab. It should give you the date and times for the interview welcome and actual interview.

30 minute interview with two faculty members. completely closed-file, they explicitly state that they know nothing but your name.
to add another option, i interviewed with 1 faculty/adcom and 2 current students

Reactions: 1 users
So, if the interview is only 30 minutes then what else is done during the 4 hr slot?

Are there any MS2+ PCOM students that are willing to answer some questions about the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed almost 6 weeks ago, still at 6 bars… anyone else stuck at 6?

In your experience overall, would you say you are glad you chose PCOM over other acceptances?

Does the administration treat you well/as an adult?

Are you enjoying your time/having a good time at PCOM?

Also, could you specify the remediation process?
(I saw how you can fail up to 10 credits, is that 2 classes? If you fail a block/course, do you get a chance to take a remediation exam a week after the original final? If so, does passing the remediation exam still count towards the 10 total credits you can fail?)

Do you feel PCOM gives their students ample opportunity to pass and/or make up the course before asking the student to repeat a year?

Do you still get 6-8 weeks of dedicated prep time at the end of your 2nd year?

@justalittlestar Thank you in advance

In your experience overall, would you say you are glad you chose PCOM over other acceptances?

(I saw how you can fail up to 10 credits, is that 2 classes? If you fail a block/course, do you get a chance to take a remediation exam a week after the original final? If so, does passing the remediation exam still count towards the 10 total credits you can fail?)

Do you feel PCOM gives their students ample opportunity to pass and/or make up the course before asking the student to repeat a year?

I PM'd you about the other questions but perhaps a PCOM M1 or M2 on here can answer this last question about boards prep to help others. I recall our time for studying was not that long but I know the school has changed a lot of the courses around.

I PM'd you about the other questions but perhaps a PCOM M1 or M2 on here can answer this last question about boards prep to help others. I recall our time for studying was not that long but I know the school has changed a lot of the courses around.
I'm also interested in hearing what you have to say about these questions 🙂

I'm also interested in hearing what you have to say about these questions 🙂
Ditto!

If I haven't received an II now, is it safe to assume I've been silently rejected? Completed in August.

Reactions: 2 users

Admin is helpful and will help you get acclimated in your first two years while still allowing you to think and move independently as an adult.

I have enjoyed my time at PCOM. Mostly the people I've befriended along the way have been amazing. My class is very supportive of each other. I have not found anyone to be cutthroat or conniving. I can only speak for my class try to get in touch with M1s M2 M3s to get a better sense overall of their experiences.

I would say for the most part PCOM gives many opportunities to remediate. Ask for help early and get someone to advocate for you if you're struggling academically. For the most part they do their best to retain students. For failed courses remediation is taken up with a committee that will meet to personalize the strategy for each student. It's a case by case issue and the school will work with you.

The curriculum has changed a lot throughout the years since I started and I'm unsure about how much study prep time is given now. I do know the school has made strides to try to allow for greater time even if that meant students had to start the school year somewhat earlier.

Reactions: 3 users
If I haven't received an II now, is it safe to assume I've been silently rejected? Completed in August.
I also completed August and I received an II on 2/23. My mentor told me to email to follow up with them that I was still interested in the school and I got an interview a few days later sooo idk if that helped but doesn't hurt to reach out to check in if you haven't already. They're still interviewing through March and April.

I also completed August and I received an II on 2/23. My mentor told me to email to follow up with them that I was still interested in the school and I got an interview a few days later sooo idk if that helped but doesn't hurt to reach out to check in if you haven't already. They're still interviewing through March and April.
Do you mind sharing your mcat score ? Thanks

I’m in the same position, people have said just be patient but I am thinking so since so many others are getting interviews from October submissions :/

So I did this too, and they just said to send an update in the portal and check the portal for updates (lols). Is that the same response you got essentially?

So I did this too, and they just said to send an update in the portal and check the portal for updates (lols). Is that the same response you got essentially?
I reached out to both PCOM PA and PCOM GA since I applied to those two locations. Georgia basically gave me this response but PA gave me more of an answer about the timeline for interviews and when to expect an interview invite if I were to be offered one.

today marks 6 weeks since my interview and my bars have been full for 3 weeks now (called ab this, they said just wait) I was hoping for something this morning. Anyone else in similar boat?

today marks 6 weeks since my interview and my bars have been full for 3 weeks now (called ab this, they said just wait) I was hoping for something this morning. Anyone else in similar boat?
While I have not hit 7 bars yet, I have previously read that some people who have reached 7 bars saw an additional drop down menu for withdrawing their application prior to the email about the checking the portal to view the decision. This additional menu mentioned withdraw after offer. People believed that may be an indicator of the decision made. Maybe check to see if you can see that?

Based on previous decision releases, we should get another round of decisions by Friday. I'm guessing tomorrow will be the day, but we shall see! Also, purely based on my observations, the majority of applicants with a completed bar before the actual decision release were accepted. So just wait a little bit longer and hopefully you'll get your acceptance 💌

While I have not hit 7 bars yet, I have previously read that some people who have reached 7 bars saw an additional drop down menu for withdrawing their application prior to the email about the checking the portal to view the decision. This additional menu mentioned withdraw after offer. People believed that may be an indicator of the decision made. Maybe check to see if you can see that?
So based off of what happened for me and a few others on this forum, if that second drop down menu appears on the portal, it is indicator that you will receive an A.

For the instance of not getting a result for some time after hitting 7 bars, that seems peculiar. It usually takes 1 business day to reveal the decision once the 7th bar appears. However, since the admissions office was already called, all that can be done is to continue to wait for an update to appear on the portal.

Yep , it’s been just over 6 weeks for me and I’ve had six bars for 6 weeks as well.

Hi Everyone. Had my II on 1/25 and I am still waiting for a decision. Should I be hopeful for an A or think about other options haha : MCAT- 501 and GPA- 3.98?

Hi Everyone. Had my II on 1/25 and I am still waiting for a decision. Should I be hopeful for an A or think about other options haha : MCAT- 501 and GPA- 3.98?
there are applicants on here who have been accepted with far lower stats and rejected with much higher stats- I don't think there's a correct or objective response to this because applications are not one-dimensional. unfortunately, you'll need to wait just like everyone else. it's not worth playing the guessing game.

Edited for grammar

there are applicants on here who have been accepted with far lower stats and rejected with much higher stats- I don't think there's a correct or objective response to this because applications are not one-dimensional. unfortunately, you'll need to wait just like everyone else. it's not worth playing the guessing game.

Edited for grammar
Yupppp. 510 MCAT with some other red flags. No II :)()()()()()

Just reached the 7th bar. and the withdrawal after offer option is available. Does that mean I'm accepted??

Reactions: 3 users
Just reached the 7th bar. and the withdrawal after offer option is available. Does that mean I'm accepted??
It seems like that. Only thing now is to wait for the official offer of acceptance!

• Care
I just hit 7 bars with the 2nd drop down! It might be happening y'all!

• Love
Didnt receive email but I checked the portal and was accepted!o_O
o_O

• Love
Reactions: 9 users