2022-2023 Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM-PA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my portal is saying 7 bars now… i’m literally shaking. No actual update available though. This makes me so nervous with it being the weekend. Anyone understand what this means? or is it just a glitch… It’s been about 4 weeks from my interview

When did u interview? I Interviewed 1/23 and I’m still at 6

Members don't see this ad.

my portal is saying 7 bars now… i’m literally shaking. No actual update available though. This makes me so nervous with it being the weekend. Anyone understand what this means? or is it just a glitch… It’s been about 4 weeks from my interview
It says below the bars what your status is, seven means a decision has been made and you typically see the result the following day, which my guess may be Monday.

When did u interview? I Interviewed 1/23 and I’m still at 6

interviewed 1/25, also below it doesn’t say decision has been made. It says under final review, and that it’s posted within 6 weeks. The wording changed a bit, but still says under review..
so I just called and she told me the same thing, but before ending the call she said good luck and good luck with the rest of your cycle and that has me overthinking like crazy LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed 1/25, also below it doesn’t say decision has been made. It says under final review, and that it’s posted within 6 weeks. The wording changed a bit, but still says under review..
so I just called and she told me the same thing, but before ending the call she said good luck and good luck with the rest of your cycle and that has me overthinking like crazy LOL
I know it's hard not to overthink (definitely guilty of it as well), but she was most likely just being polite!! You should be so proud of the fact that you got an interview so try to relax this weekend and remind yourself of how far you have come :) Wishing you the best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Just hit 7 bars as well.... Interviewed on 1/10.

its-happening-michael-scott.gif

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I just reached seven bars (interviewed 1/27), I noticed at the bottom in the withdrawal dropdown there is now a second withdrawal dropdown that says 'withdrawal after offer:' underneath the 'withdrawal:'. Does this mean something?!?!?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just reached seven bars (interviewed 1/27), I noticed at the bottom in the withdrawal dropdown there is now a second withdrawal dropdown that says 'withdrawal after offer:' underneath the 'withdrawal:'. Does this mean something?!?!?
I had noticed that too when I reached 7 bars. I ended up getting an A, but I’m not sure if that comes up for those whose decision is an A or if it comes up for both A and WL applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
I have that as well. Guess we'll find out soon. 🤔

same lmao

I have that as well. Guess we'll find out soon. 🤔
same lmao
So my guess is that if that second dropdown menu is there, then there shouldn’t be an R incoming which is good news. How they used “Offer” in the new dropdown menu can be a little vague as it could mean a WL offer or an A offer. Hopefully your guy’s official decision is a good one!

That sounds like good news to me, I'm on the waitlist, and when I checked the drop-down, I didn't have any "withdrawal after offer" second drop-down option.

That sounds like good news to me, I'm on the waitlist, and when I checked the drop-down, I didn't have any "withdrawal after offer" second drop-down option.
Just double checking, but it also didn’t come up before you had received an official decision and when it just reached the seventh bar?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a good point, and I'm not sure. Honestly, I didn't think of looking at the withdrawal tab after I went to seven bars lol
Actually, could you check the current options in your dropdown menu for withdrawing (just don’t click an option and hit submit 😅)? Mines still says “withdrawal after offer” for the choices, so it may be the same or different on your end.

Actually, could you check the current options in your dropdown menu for withdrawing (just don’t click an option and hit submit 😅)? Mines still says “withdrawal after offer” for the choices, so it may be the same or different on your end.

Definitely no "withdrawal after offer" option for me. So it sounds like we may have cracked another PCOM code (starting with the previously mysterious bar status meanings).

My guess after going to seven bars;
having the "withdrawal after offer" option = Acceptance
no "withdrawal after offer" option = waitlist or rejection

Maybe one of them can validate it after they get their result, but it sounds like some good news is coming!

Definitely no "withdrawal after offer" option for me. So it sounds like we may have cracked another PCOM code (starting with the previously mysterious bar status meanings).

My guess after going to seven bars;
having the "withdrawal after offer" option = Acceptance
no "withdrawal after offer" option = waitlist or rejection

Maybe one of them can validate it after they get their result, but it sounds like some good news is coming!
We’ve cracked the code. This is on the same level as how Alan Turing cracked the enigma code

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
the way I hopeee you guys are right…I guess we will know when we know

I interviewed 2/21 and my bars are still at 5... should I call?
We talked about it earlier in the thread but it can take a while sometimes to update... mine went to 6 bars the same day as the interview, for some it took a few days. Don't stress it.

Could a current student let us know what the weekly schedule looks like? Specifically, labs? For example is there labs everyday from monday to friday from 1 to 4pm? Or is like only like 2 times a week and the days varies? Also do you have to wait until the lecture finishes to watch it from home?

Could a current student let us know what the weekly schedule looks like? Specifically, labs? For example is there labs everyday from monday to friday from 1 to 4pm? Or is like only like 2 times a week and the days varies? Also do you have to wait until the lecture finishes to watch it from home?
There is OMM lab which is once a week (1.5 hours), Primary Care Skills lab which varies but typically once a week, and then once anatomy starts theres anatomy lab typically 2-3 times a week. Lectures are posted online right after the are completed so typically you do have to wait for the lecturer to finish bfore they are posted.

Everything that Phillyboy81 said above is true, but let me expand on that. Since the class is big, they divide you into 4 groups based on last name (group A - D). You will get to know your group a lot because both OMM labs and PCS labs are based on your group.

OMM labs are blocked off on the schedule from 2:00 - 5:00 PM. That 3 hour gap is because 2 groups are scheduled for that day for 1.5 hours each. So if group A has lab from 2 - 3:30, then group B has lab from 3:30 - 5:00. The other groups would have lab on Tuesday with the same schedule. OMM also has a lecture component every Monday from 1:00 - 1:50, but this is not required.

PCS is slightly different because there is lecture and lab. Both are mandatory. They block off time for PCS from 1:00 - 5:00 every Thursday. You rarely will have lectures in PCS, but they do show up especially in the beginning of the first term where they are introducing you to everything. Labs can range from 1 hr or 2 hrs. You have lab when you don't have lecture and vice versa. Scheduling is based on groups similarly to OMM.

Lecture videos are usually uploaded about 30 min after the class ends. However, some professors like to combine multiple recordings into 1, so that may take longer to upload. Let us know if you have any other questions

For those that got a decision what was your turn around time post interview? Was it 4 weeks? 6?

For those that got a decision what was your turn around time post interview? Was it 4 weeks? 6?
Interviewed on 11/14. Received a decision on 1/18. For the most part, a decision is released within 4-6 weeks, but I think the reason why my decision took a while to be given was because of the holiday break. If a decision has not been given out after more than 6 weeks, then it would be best to call the admissions office and ask about it. For now, just keep an eye on your admissions portal for any changes made to your progress bar.

Everything that Phillyboy81 said above is true, but let me expand on that. Since the class is big, they divide you into 4 groups based on last name (group A - D). You will get to know your group a lot because both OMM labs and PCS labs are based on your group.

OMM labs are blocked off on the schedule from 2:00 - 5:00 PM. That 3 hour gap is because 2 groups are scheduled for that day for 1.5 hours each. So if group A has lab from 2 - 3:30, then group B has lab from 3:30 - 5:00. The other groups would have lab on Tuesday with the same schedule. OMM also has a lecture component every Monday from 1:00 - 1:50, but this is not required.

PCS is slightly different because there is lecture and lab. Both are mandatory. They block off time for PCS from 1:00 - 5:00 every Thursday. You rarely will have lectures in PCS, but they do show up especially in the beginning of the first term where they are introducing you to everything. Labs can range from 1 hr or 2 hrs. You have lab when you don't have lecture and vice versa. Scheduling is based on groups similarly to OMM.

Lecture videos are usually uploaded about 30 min after the class ends. However, some professors like to combine multiple recordings into 1, so that may take longer to upload. Let us know if you have any other questions
is Fridays like every other weekday(school ends at 5pm)? or is there typically no lab on Fridays(and days end around noon)?

is Fridays like every other weekday(school ends at 5pm)? or is there typically no lab on Fridays(and days end around noon)?
Typically no labs on Friday UNLESS your lab was on a Monday and they had to reschedule for holiday reasons (e.g. president's day this year was on a Monday, so the Monday OMM labs had it on Friday). For the most part we have a class called CRIBS on fridays. CRIBS is a mandatory 1 - 2 hour class where they try to pair active learning with material taught from previous weeks. For example, if you learned about bacteria and antibiotics last week, then we might have a CRIBS on some pathological process involving bacteria and antibiotics to tie the material into a clinical scenario. These are not every week, but they are mandatory and usually on Fridays. The school blocks off time on Fridays for office hours with professors, but hardly anyone goes to them. Use your Friday as you please.

What’s the lecture schedule look like?
Lectures are not mandatory. For core classes, I think they do about 6 - 8 lectures per week. Most are going to be 1 hour lectures, but they can be 90 minute or 2 hour lectures as well. The core classes are spread out from Monday - Friday. For OMM, we have a 1 hour lecture every Monday from 1 - 1:50. PCS rarely has lectures, but I believe you will get lectures for PCS for like your first 3 weeks. PCS lectures and labs will always be on Thursdays.

While it won’t hurt you to submit a letter of intent (apparently in some very rare cases it actually has hurt them), most adcoms on SDN agree that they dismiss LOIs since you can just send them to any school. Also PCOM states that they only accept updates for GPA and MCAT scores.

Here is an interesting take on LOIs that received Goro approval and some other interesting discussion on the topic, basically only send one if you have acceptances elsewhere to schools that are more “prestigious.”

Also for my fellow waitlisted, just try to find some calm in the fact that PCOM-PA has about a 64% post interview acceptance rate, which includes waitlist acceptances. So while everyone without an A needs to start preparing for reapplying, there is still an incredibly good chance of getting that A from PCOM.
Hey! Where did you get the 64% post interview acceptance rate? I tried calling them and asking about waitlist movement, but they gave me the generic "it changes every year" response.

Congrats y'all! When did you interview?
Interviewed 1/10, almost 7 weeks ago.

From what I can tell, it looks like they release decisions every two weeks, and your portal updates to 7 bars on the business day before your decision.

I interviewed during the first week of feb and i'm still at 5 bars. is anyone else also in the same boat?

Last edited:
yeah I’m really happy for u guys and not jealous at all… not even one bit…not even a TINY bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
They don't respond to emails so what's the harm in begging for a ii at this point 😅😂😂jk

I interviewed 2/21 and I'm still at 5 bars- I scheduled an email to be set in the morning to inquire and make sure that on their side of the system I've interviewed and everything...I know this is neurotic but I can't help it. I'm really considering sending a letter of interest because this is my first choice. Does anyone have experience with that for this school particularly post-interview? Anyone know if it'll be positively or negatively received or make no difference? I can't really gauge how my interview went which is why I'm so anxious. I don't think it went badly but the more I think about it the more I feel like I could've said...