-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Same here. I know there's a groupme somewhere but I never found a linkHi! I am an accepted student, does anyone have a link to a group I can join for other accepted students/students planning to enroll in the fall?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else (besides the person who got in earlier) who interviewed in April heard back? I haven’t heard anything so far
PSG123
New Member
Congratulations! Did you send a letter of intent?got off WL today :’) interviewed mid Feb
Same boat as youHas anyone else (besides the person who got in earlier) who interviewed in April heard back? I haven’t heard anything so far
Congratulations! Did you send a letter of intent?
thank you! i did not send one
I feel like I’m slowly losing hope 🙁 the wait is killing me
therapy&wellbutrin
Full Member
I interviewed the week before you and heard back last Thursday.Has anyone else (besides the person who got in earlier) who interviewed in April heard back? I haven’t heard anything so far
@therapy&wellbutrin oh ok - do you mind saying if it was waitlist/acceptance? I guess I should wait and see what happens this week
@KennyPickett when did you interview?
@KennyPickett when did you interview?
Yes but I withdrew my acceptance yesterday.Has anyone else (besides the person who got in earlier) who interviewed in April heard back? I haven’t heard anything so far
@emcix lol ok well not a great sign for me I guess - when did you interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So like are all the As with people who have average or above average stats right now?
pupa4077
Full Member
After the admissions committee votes on your score order (5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:So like are all the As with people who have average or above average stats right now?
1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
4- 1st generation college graduate
5- US Military Service
So our movement off of the WL will depend more on our background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT. I'm willing to bet that the people who were recently moved off the WL met some combination of this criteria.
jeffreysorandom
Full Member
Has anyone recieved a post ii R tho?
This is great info, thank you! I meet 3/5 of these criteria so hopefully I hear something soon because this wait is torture.After the admissions committee votes on your score order (5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:
1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
4- 1st generation college graduate
5- US Military Service
So our movement off of the WL will depend more on our background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT. I'm willing to bet that the people who were recently moved off the WL met some combination of this criteria.
Do you mind sharing where you got this information from though?
So an LOI wouldn't help?After the admissions committee votes on your score order (5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:
1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
4- 1st generation college graduate
5- US Military Service
So our movement off of the WL will depend more on our background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT. I'm willing to bet that the people who were recently moved off the WL met some combination of this criteria.
Also, curious about where you got this info?After the admissions committee votes on your score order (5-1), the final rank order and the WL to Acceptance order is based on something called the "priority personal attributes criteria" by the Admissions Oversight Subcommittee (AOS), which are as follows:
1- NYS resident
2- URM
3- Low SES/disadvantaged
4- 1st generation college graduate
5- US Military Service
So our movement off of the WL will depend more on our background at this point rather than GPA/MCAT. I'm willing to bet that the people who were recently moved off the WL met some combination of this criteria.
pupa4077
Full Member
It's a combination of two Policy Statement pdfs that were released by Downstate in 2019 & 2020. I couldn't find the one from 2021.This is great info, thank you! I meet 3/5 of these criteria so hopefully I hear something soon because this wait is torture.
Do you mind sharing where you got this information from though?
found the link for 2020: https://www.downstate.edu/education...licy_on_admissions_committee_interviewers.pdfThis is great info, thank you! I meet 3/5 of these criteria so hopefully I hear something soon because this wait is torture.
Do you mind sharing where you got this information from though?
From the 2019 policy:So an LOI wouldn't help?
“Applicants who are placed on the waitlist are encouraged to provide updated grades and information.”
Link: https://www.downstate.edu/education...uments/policy_on_selection_and_admissions.pdf
pupa4077
Full Member
Yup, that's one them. The 2019 version had a lot more info on the committee scoring and the WL movement.found the link for 2020: https://www.downstate.edu/education...licy_on_admissions_committee_interviewers.pdf
pupa4077
Full Member
I think that Downstate's bad reputation on SDN & Reddit will lead them to offer WL spots to applicants who have not selected "Plan to Enroll" for any school after April 30, since those applicants would definitely choose to attend & offering an acceptance is resource-intensive, since schools have to notify AAMC, portals and logins have to be made, and the financial aid office has to be called into action to draw up a financial aid offer within 24 hours.
I hope you're right 🤞🤞I think that Downstate's bad reputation on SDN & Reddit will lead them to offer WL spots to applicants who have not selected "Plan to Enroll" for any school after April 30, since those applicants would definitely choose to attend & offering an acceptance is resource-intensive, since schools have to notify AAMC, portals and logins have to be made, and the financial aid office has to be called into action to draw up a financial aid offer within 24 hours.
4/9@emcix lol ok well not a great sign for me I guess - when did you interview?
pigsrock100
Full Member
Got in off the waitlist today!! First A, so excited!!! IS, LM 69, Interviewed in December
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats you are gonna be a doctor!!!! Did you hear back just now or earlier today?Got in off the waitlist today!! First A, so excited!!! IS, LM 69, Interviewed in December
pigsrock100
Full Member
Thank you!! I got an email a few hours ago.Congrats you are gonna be a doctor!!!! Did you hear back just now or earlier today?
Accepted off WL recently. Had "Plan to enroll" selected for another school, never sent Downstate a letter of intent (or thank you email for that matter), and also only meet 1 of the 5 criteria mentioned. Sample size = 1, but I'm not sure how much all those factors matter relative to your actual application reviewI think that Downstate's bad reputation on SDN & Reddit will lead them to offer WL spots to applicants who have not selected "Plan to Enroll" for any school after April 30, since those applicants would definitely choose to attend & offering an acceptance is resource-intensive, since schools have to notify AAMC, portals and logins have to be made, and the financial aid office has to be called into action to draw up a financial aid offer within 24 hours.
BDE…lol congratulations tho!Accepted off WL recently. Had "Plan to enroll" selected for another school, never sent Downstate a letter of intent (or thank you email for that matter), and also only meet 1 of the 5 criteria mentioned. Sample size = 1, but I'm not sure how much all those factors matter relative to your actual application review
Assuming you also had average/above stats. Im guessing downstate is accepting those with higher ”rankings” first before going to the criteria rubric.
Not sure how much stats has to do with it either… I have a 4.0 and a 100th percentile MCAT so I wish it was stats based haha
It seems pretty futile to guess how they’re deciding.
It seems pretty futile to guess how they’re deciding.
cat_chase_dog
Full Member
How many more A’s do we expect this week? I feel like I’m losing my mind, I want to just accept my fate and start reapplying…
Tootsie pop: “The world may never know”How many more A’s do we expect this week? I feel like I’m losing my mind, I want to just accept my fate and start reapplying…
Hang in there !!! We are all in the same boatHow many more A’s do we expect this week? I feel like I’m losing my mind, I want to just accept my fate and start reapplying
Anyone get off WL yet today? 🤔
I doubt it. The racism accusations definitely hit this school's reputation hard. People were dropping this school from their lists. I seriously doubt anyone who has another acceptance could choose this school.
According to the waitlist support thread, someone said that the CYMS was experiencing a glitch which may slow down the process.
tiramisu008
Full Member
What accusations? Something happened recently?I doubt it. The racism accusations definitely hit this school's reputation hard. People were dropping this school from their lists. I seriously doubt anyone who has another acceptance could choose this school.
look at this thread like a couple months ago and keep reading for all the gossipWhat accusations? Something happened recently?
fardnpoob
Full Member
Anything to cope rn 😭According to the waitlist support thread, someone said that the CYMS was experiencing a glitch which may slow down the process.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JonChase
Full Member
They’re referring to the interview stuff and reports from current students, which you already know about.What accusations? Something happened recently?
Side note, I think the safe bet is to avoid downstate if you have other acceptances, and obviously go here if it’s your only option. People on both sides are getting triggered at this point but I think it’s really this simple.
jiminjoestar
New Member
Did anyone from the alternate list get asked for immunization records to be sent before May 11? Does this mean you are close to being off the list?
cat_chase_dog
Full Member
I think we all got this email last week.Did anyone from the alternate list get asked for immunization records to be sent before May 11? Does this mean you are close to being off the list?
got off the WL today, interviewed january





