2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everything just seems awfully slow.. Is the class full already?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt it. The racism accusations definitely hit this school's reputation hard. People were dropping this school from their lists. I seriously doubt anyone who has another acceptance could choose this school.

Reactions: 1 users
According to the waitlist support thread, someone said that the CYMS was experiencing a glitch which may slow down the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it. The racism accusations definitely hit this school's reputation hard. People were dropping this school from their lists. I seriously doubt anyone who has another acceptance could choose this school.
What accusations? Something happened recently?

They’re referring to the interview stuff and reports from current students, which you already know about.

Side note, I think the safe bet is to avoid downstate if you have other acceptances, and obviously go here if it’s your only option. People on both sides are getting triggered at this point but I think it’s really this simple.

• Sad
Did anyone from the alternate list get asked for immunization records to be sent before May 11? Does this mean you are close to being off the list?

kncewON.jpg
kncewON.jpgKyShW8W.jpgEqzid1y.jpgx4ylPqe.jpgr8oZKpA.jpgMsk3vXc.jpg

• Sad
I found it in the reddit interview shame thread, but the pics were taken from this thread before the posters deleted/edited them for anonymity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where should I send LOI ? Should I send it in the portal under Continued Interest ?

+1 on the AL. Does Downstate release information on rank or the likelihood that one might get an A?

For those of you who wrote a LOI, you uploaded it to the portal but did you also email it? And if so, who did you email it to?

Anyone who has attended the virtual info session: Is it a camera on and participate kind of thing or can we just listen in with our cameras off? like will there be anyone who has a role in admissions and might judge an applicant for not participating?

Does anyone know if the CYMS tool glitch has been fixed? Is that the reason WL movement has been so slow this week? :confused:

Does anyone know if the CYMS tool glitch has been fixed? Is that the reason WL movement has been so slow this week? :confused:
According to the WL support thread it looks like it’s still glitchy. Have to assume that’s part of it because there’s been soooooo few WL A’s compared to previous years.

Reactions: 2 users
According to the WL support thread it looks like it’s still glitchy. Have to assume that’s part of it because there’s been soooooo few WL A’s compared to previous years.
Reportedly fixed now! Hoping that means there will be some movement tomorrow. Best of luck to you all 🫡

Saw talks of an accepted students GroupMe earlier in the thread. If anyone has a link to it, I’d love an invite. Appreciate it

Saw talks of an accepted students GroupMe earlier in the thread. If anyone has a link to it, I’d love an invite. Appreciate it
Whenever y’all figure this out can you let us sad AL folks know how many people are in there?

ACCEPTED IM SO HAPPY

GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 526, IS, non-trad

I found out while walking around London which was the best way to experience that haha. Good luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 8 users
ACCEPTED IM SO HAPPY

GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 526, IS, non-trad

I found out while walking around London which was the best way to experience that haha. Good luck everyone!!!
GYAT DAMN them stats. Is downstate your top choice?

Additionally, seeing all these people get pulled off the WL makes me feel like downstate ranked me so low. Even though i interviewed in early september ;(

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
@fardnpoob Yup! I know there’s been negativity here but I had a very enjoyable interview and I really like the school. I’m interested in research but want really strong clinical training as well (plus there’s so many schools you could do research at/network with). And I absolutely love New York and I love Brooklyn and I want to stay here for med school and residency. I did the whole Ivy undergrad in a ****ty location and I don’t want to do that again. Also I think the cost of medical education is absolutely ridiculous (for what at many places amounts to watching videos and doing flash cards) and I’m gonna use the money I save from going here for other much more worthwhile things.

@KennyPickett yup i sent an LOI the day I got waitlisted (two days ago)

• Love
Well I guess that’s a wrap for this week. See y’all here Monday 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Losing all hope. Interviewed early October and still wondering what my fate is. Months of stress. We really out here giving our life and soul to medicine when there is only a little glimmer of hope. I am pretty sure I have developed chronic anxiety over the last 2 years stressing over whether I will be accepted to med school one day. Being in state here and with a lower than average MCAT, my chances are so poor for out of state. Downstate is really my only hope at this point. I wish downstate notices I have no other school to plan to enroll on AMCAS, and gives me a chance. Don’t the ones who have no other acceptances deserve it? We are not gonna be bad doctors. I have worked, studied, and cared for others so much over the years. Am I not worth taking a shot on? I am so disheartened at this point and I can’t see myself doing anything else but become a doctor. I will be shattered if I don’t get into med school. Years of work will go in vain. I never gave up. I applied for the second time. I tried to better myself everyday. What did I not do right? I am prolly being way too emotional about this. But my heart goes out to all those who don’t have a single acceptance yet and counting on Downstate. These are tough times. But I guess we are only getting stronger through the mental agony and stress. Maybe medicine has more of it in the future and we are just getting prepared for that. I really hope all your hard work pays off.

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Losing all hope. Interviewed early October and still wondering what my fate is. Months of stress. We really out here giving our life and soul to medicine when there is only a little glimmer of hope. I am pretty sure I have developed chronic anxiety over the last 2 years stressing over whether I will be accepted to med school one day. Being in state here and with a lower than average MCAT, my chances are so poor for out of state. Downstate is really my only hope at this point. I wish downstate notices I have no other school to plan to enroll on AMCAS, and gives me a chance. Don’t the ones who have no other acceptances deserve it? We are not gonna be bad doctors. I have worked, studied, and cared for others so much over the years. Am I not worth taking a shot on? I am so disheartened at this point and I can’t see myself doing anything else but become a doctor. I will be shattered if I don’t get into med school. Years of work will go in vain. I never gave up. I applied for the second time. I tried to better myself everyday. What did I not do right? I am prolly being way too emotional about this. But my heart goes out to all those who don’t have a single acceptance yet and counting on Downstate. These are tough times. But I guess we are only getting stronger through the mental agony and stress. Maybe medicine has more of it in the future and we are just getting prepared for that. I really hope all your hard work pays off.
I’m really sorry you’ve been going through it so hard. This process is absolute bs and should not be this extreme, especially since there’s a shortage of medical professionals in the country. I have my fingers crossed for you. You do deserve this.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my application after receiving an A off the alternate list. Wishing the best for those who are hoping to get off the AL!

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone know when the WL movement tends to slow down? It seems that its been slow already but could just be low sample size

Sounds like you're on the WL trying to get people to withdraw their A's. Love the toxicity lol.
No I'm not. I am a current student trying to warn people about Downstate. If this is the only school you got into, go for it. But if you had other options like I did, don't come here. Just trying to help you guys.

Respectfully, what is the purpose of your fear mongering? Because at this point it seems like you have a vendetta against the school which is well within your rights. I’m sure most of us have seen the perspectives both good and bad from students who have popped in.
Some of us only have one option and really want to be a doctor so we’re gonna go where we can. I think more helpful advice would be how to survive in a system that may not be the best. So if anyone has advice like that I’m sure we would all appreciate it.
Purpose is to help you guys make an informed decision. Ofc for students that do attend your MS2's (and any of us) will help guide you through so that you can have an easier time than we all did. You can always pm me for more questions.

Another week of checking sdn every 5 min

• Haha
have been refreshing this page every single day for months now. only waitlist that I am on, so I really hope more there’s more movement next week :( other than neurotically checking, I feel like I had been holding it together pretty well, keeping my head up as high as possible. But I feel like now, imposter syndrome is really starting to kick in. Im sure others on this thread know exactly what I mean
This is so, so relatable. As someone who is pretty good at remaining optimistic and looking at the positive side of things, I feel like it has been getting harder and harder as this cycle progresses when I still don't know what I'm going to be doing next year. I have seen friends and classmates get in this cycle, and even though the majority of my feelings are happiness and pride for them, I do feel a small sense of envy which does make me feel guilty at times.

That being said, I feel that there is still much hope for all of us still waiting for an acceptance to come our way, and I am sending positive vibes to everyone still waiting and manifesting our futures as amazing and caring physicians. <3

• Care
Has anyone submitted health clearance forms and gotten confirmation of it being received?

I apologize for asking multiple times but to confirm, the health stuff are all due 7/1 and we should disregard the email from student health asking for them earlier?

I apologize for asking multiple times but to confirm, the health stuff are all due 7/1 and we should disregard the email from student health asking for them earlier?
From the email that they had sent me, it seems so. But, I would just send it in as soon as possible justtt in case

Has anyone submitted health clearance forms and gotten confirmation of it being received?
I called student health last week and they told me that they are first processing programs that start in May and since the college of medicine starts in august that they are processing ours after. The person told me in about a month they should start processing ours.

Being on the alternate list still makes me feel that all my effort to get this stuff in early is such a waste of time and tremendous disrespect that they are not even ready for the forms. Just crazy that they make us do this and imply that it’ll help us get in but it seems so unlikely at this point even though I’m really trying to manifest

Reactions: 2 users
I called student health last week and they told me that they are first processing programs that start in May and since the college of medicine starts in august that they are processing ours after. The person told me in about a month they should start processing ours.

Being on the alternate list still makes me feel that all my effort to get this stuff in early is such a waste of time and tremendous disrespect that they are not even ready for the forms. Just crazy that they make us do this and imply that it’ll help us get in but it seems so unlikely at this point even though I’m really trying to manifest
Ah ok thanks! Yeah it feels kind of like being on a hamster wheel and I honestly doubt it has any bearing on who they take off the alternate list until the very end. But I have literally nothing else going for me right now so I too am trying to manifest 🙏 hoping for good things for us all

Reactions: 3 users
Just to re-confirm. Health forms for those on AL are not due May 11th correct? The final date is sometime in July?