2022-2023 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (USUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those with acceptances if you miss the phone call, do they send you an email regardless?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! So I went to MEPS for my HPSP scholarship, and just got an II to USU! WHOOP!

What is the difference between DoDMERBs physical exam v MEPS? Just want to know what I should be prepared for. Thanks

Hi guys! So I went to MEPS for my HPSP scholarship, and just got an II to USU! WHOOP!

What is the difference between DoDMERBs physical exam v MEPS? Just want to know what I should be prepared for. Thanks

A lot less invasive. Mine was like a typical physical. Go to a doctor in your area (they assign you one) make and appointment and they just take vital and make you do the series of standing and sitting and turning and such. They palpate a little and listen to your lungs. That’s pretty much it. The eye exam is also just like a typical eye appointment where you read the letters and they adjust the strength.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! OOS, 70 LizzyM score. I was placed on hold on 10/27. My first interview in 2 cycles :) I did an internship with the Air Force Research Labs last summer which may have given me an extra look.

Reactions: 2 users
What are the chances of getting off the waitlist?
You can find official AAMC WL data from the following site:
Waitlist Procedures

From this data, USUHS sends out between 175 and 200 WL positions a cycle, ~100 are accepted off the WL. So, between 50% and 57% of waitlisted applicants will be accepted off the WL.

I don't know how the AAMC treated the Alternate List (AL), but I would assume that they treated it the same as a rejection.

Last edited:
II today! OOS, 70 LizzyM score. I was placed on hold on 10/27. My first interview in 2 cycles :) I did an internship with the Air Force Research Labs last summer which may have given me an extra look.
I'm glad to hear that they actually re-look at/pull from the hold list for interview invites. I was put on hold on the same day (10/27) so maybe I've still got a chance. I'm prior AD so hopefully that helps.

I'm glad to hear that they actually re-look at/pull from the hold list for interview invites. I was put on hold on the same day (10/27) so maybe I've still got a chance. I'm prior AD so hopefully that helps.
I definitely didn’t expect to get an interview off the waitlist since the waitlist at every other school seems like a soft R. Although the USUHS hold email seemed a lot more positive/congratulatory than other hold emails hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely didn’t expect to get an interview off the waitlist since the waitlist at every other school seems like a soft R. Although the USUHS hold email seemed a lot more positive/congratulatory than other hold emails hahaha
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I got a hold from SUNY Upstate that read very clearly like a soft R, but the USUHS hold-email one was almost excessively positive ("We are pleased to report that the admissions committee is impressed with everything you have already accomplished... we hope to be able to offer you an interview in the future"). Congrats on the II!

Has anyone heard anything that interviewed the week of October 17th?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I got a hold from SUNY Upstate that read very clearly like a soft R, but the USUHS hold-email one was almost excessively positive ("We are pleased to report that the admissions committee is impressed with everything you have already accomplished... we hope to be able to offer you an interview in the future"). Congrats on th
Was notified yesterday that I have been offered interview for Jan. I previously received the pre-interview hold. There is hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Got email for hold. I'll take it as this is my #1 choice! Lengthy explanation led me to brace for the R Completed over 4 months ago.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with remedial exams? Apparently my eye exam was invalid for some reason or other when I called to check up on my DODMET status today, but the optometrist didn't get authorization to do a remedial yet. Anyone have any idea of how long the process takes to authorize the remedials and have it show up on DODMETs?

Hold today. Complete 8/24. I'm glad to see that some people have come off of the hold list.

Do they drug test at the physical exam? Or if/when u matriculate?

Do they drug test at the physical exam? Or if/when u matriculate?
physical exam does not do a blood or urine test. Basically they will do hearing and physical examination at your local urgent care and then the optometry visit is solely for eyes. Very simple exam and I wouldn't worry too much.

physical exam does not do a blood or urine test. Basically they will do hearing and physical examination at your local urgent care and then the optometry visit is solely for eyes. Very simple exam and I wouldn't worry too much.
Thank you for the information!

Does anyone know about when in the cycle each branch fills? I know Air Force fills quicker, and am wondering how much of a chance I still have. Interviewed 11/14. Thank you!

Has anymore not received an email with instructions for scheduling the physical? I got my II almost 3 weeks ago now and still nothing

Has anymore not received an email with instructions for scheduling the physical? I got my II almost 3 weeks ago now and still nothing
I’m still waiting for that email too

i never got the email either. i had to call the number and they told me the code for me to get access to dodmets

I also never received an email but waited 2 weeks then tried to log onto dodmets using the guidelines provided in their emails and it worked just fine.

Received the waitlist email this morning, interviewed the week of 10/17

For those trying to schedule exams, try calling the CIV team at 215-587-9600. Since DoDMERB is down, the typical email that goes out and tells you how to create a DoDMETS account is not being generated. If you are still having issues, try emailing the USU commissioning coordinator for assistance at [email protected]

went for the post II visit today, I heard that there was an issue with the dodmerb system and that it would not be held against anyone if you didn't sign up before your interviews.

Any interview tips? I have my interviews scheduled for this next week

Be prepared to talk about your AMCAS experiences more in depth, and really be able to articulate why you want to practice MILITARY medicine specifically. My interview, and from what I've heard most of the interviews, are very conversational and open ended. For me, the questions were very open, for instance "You are aware that the USU incurs a lengthy service commitment. Are you and your family prepared for this?" and "I see you listed *such and such* on your application, how has that molded your leadership style?". Ask your interviewers questions too! More than half of my interview time was spent asking them questions about their research and experience in military medicine. It really shows that you are interested and invested in practicing this very specific brand of medicine. Just be YOU, and have fun with the interview. You'll do great!

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the SDN page for USUHS, it has loads of possible interview questions to help you prep.

For those trying to schedule exams, try calling the CIV team at 215-587-9600. Since DoDMERB is down, the typical email that goes out and tells you how to create a DoDMETS account is not being generated. If you are still having issues, try emailing the USU commissioning coordinator for assistance at [email protected]
Has anyone called this number recently and actually gotten through? I've tried calling a few times today and it disconnects before it even rings.

Has anyone called this number recently and actually gotten through? I've tried calling a few times today and it disconnects before it even rings.
I called the commissioning office (215-587-9600) yesterday at around 4 pm est time. I explained the situation to the person that picked up and she looked up my SSN and told me I am not in their system yet, and to just hold tight and that I will get an email soon to schedule the physical.

went for the post II visit today, I heard that there was an issue with the dodmerb system and that it would not be held against anyone if you didn't sign up before your interviews.
what's the post II visit?

Does anyone know roughly when Air Force OTS or Army OTC is for new students?

I called the commissioning office (215-587-9600) yesterday at around 4 pm est time. I explained the situation to the person that picked up and she looked up my SSN and told me I am not in their system yet, and to just hold tight and that I will get an email soon to schedule the physical.
I need to get ahold of them for a different reason but thanks, at least I know it's supposed to work. Not sure why it wasn't today.

what's the post II visit?
It's like an on - campus visit that you can attend if you get an interview. I didn't get to go last year since my interview was in January (the last one they usually have is in January) so I thought I would go this time. You learn a lot it is pretty cool.

Application placed on hold in late October. Would it be reasonable to send an activities update and ask for a status update from admissions?

II invite today!! Sub 500 Mcat applicant and OOS!! No ties either!

Reactions: 6 users
Be prepared to talk about your AMCAS experiences more in depth, and really be able to articulate why you want to practice MILITARY medicine specifically. My interview, and from what I've heard most of the interviews, are very conversational and open ended. For me, the questions were very open, for instance "You are aware that the USU incurs a lengthy service commitment. Are you and your family prepared for this?" and "I see you listed *such and such* on your application, how has that molded your leadership style?". Ask your interviewers questions too! More than half of my interview time was spent asking them questions about their research and experience in military medicine. It really shows that you are interested and invested in practicing this very specific brand of medicine. Just be YOU, and have fun with the interview. You'll do great!
thank you so much!!

Does anyone know about how long it takes to hear back from dodmerb after you go to all your appointments?