2022-2023 Hawaii (Burns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Gh0stInAJar for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Hawaii John A Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) Secondary Essay Prompts (return your essays within 2 weeks:))

A) Describe a personal experience that has demonstrated your resilience. What did you learn from that experience that may help you manage similar situations in the future? (600 words)

B) Please select ONE of the three questions below: (600 words)
B-1) Discuss a time you tried to right a perceived wrong, felt moved to speak up for someone, or took a stand against a situation you felt was unjust.
B-2) Describe a situation that demonstrates that you are a person of integrity.
B-3) Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this.

C) Describe any personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have. If you do not have a personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii, please describe your interest in attending JABSOM. (600 word limit)

D) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program. (600 word limit)

JABSOM also requires that you complete the AAMC PREview within the last 3 years.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Questions:

A) Describe a personal experience that has demonstrated your resilience. What did you learn from that experience that may help you manage similar situations in the future? (600 word limit)

B) Please select ONE of the three questions below: 600 word limit

B-1) Discuss a time you tried to right a perceived wrong, felt moved to speak up for someone, or took a stand against a situation you felt was unjust.
B-2) Describe a situation that demonstrates that you are a person of integrity.
B-3) Describe a challenging situation in which you did not agree with a directive/rule and how you handled this.

C) Describe any personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii and the Pacific that you may have. If you do not have a personal connection to JABSOM and/or Hawaii, please describe your interest in attending JABSOM. (600 word limit)

D) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Describe what efforts you have made to further improve your application to the MD Program. (600 word limit)

Once you get your secondary you have ~2 weeks to finish :)

@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 user
cant log onto my portal anymore... i feel like this means ive probably been rejected lol

Anyone know when to roughly expect II invites to start?

last year i felt like they dolled out rejections by now. anyone at least got that r?

Roll call! Am IS here so fingers crossed :)
With the describe a personal connection. did you write a detailed essay or just like a basic i attended this middle school, my parents lived here, i graduated at this high school etc.

Does JABSOM send a confirmation email that they received ur secondary app? If so, how soon has anyone received it after they submitted?

I had some technical difficulties submitting it. System kept telling me to retry or contact Support. After trying for the 6th time, it finally went through. My account does say it was successfully submitted, but I'm just checking.

Does JABSOM send a confirmation email that they received ur secondary app? If so, how soon has anyone received it after they submitted?

I had some technical difficulties submitting it. System kept telling me to retry or contact Support. After trying for the 6th time, it finally went through. My account does say it was successfully submitted, but I'm just checking.
Yes they do send a confirmation email! I got mine the next day after I submitted.

Just wanted to give everyone here some insight about my secondary, I missed the 2-week deadline as I didn't read the email correctly and they sent an email after about 20 days that I could still submit my secondary a few days later at the 22-day mark.

do they accept updates? i literally cant find this anywhere on their website

Members don't see this ad :)
First R of the season! OOS, good to know I'm not just submitting apps into the void lol

received R, I did not make it through the screening process unfortunately

When did y’all submit your secondaries? scared for the R too :/

Based on previous years threads it looks like they send a lot of Rs before IIs. Im OOS, complete on 7/5, and have still heard nothing

does anyone know what the secondary screening entails? they don't really say on their website and I'm kind of confused

II received! Completed 7/5 OOS with strong ties LM 77

I just took my AAMC PREview exam 2 weeks ago, does JABSOM require the scores before they screen my application?

I just took my AAMC PREview exam 2 weeks ago, does JABSOM require the scores before they screen my application?
When I submitted my secondary, I was asked when/if I will take the test, and they confirmed to me it won't be used until final review after interviews.

When I submitted my secondary, I was asked when/if I will take the test, and they confirmed to me it won't be used until final review after interviews.
phew, I had a preview hiccup and couldn't take it until Oct, luckily they said they will extend it. good to know I can be waiting on a II.

Just got this email from JABSOM:

Dear X:

Due to the high volume of applications received by JABSOM, your secondary application is still under review. We apologize for the delay and will notify you by email upon completion of the review process.

Should you have any questions, please contact the JABSOM Office of Admissions at [email protected] or (808) 692-0892.
Thank you.
Office of Admissions
University of Hawai'i

Seems like they are moving a bit slower this year?

Just got this email from JABSOM:

Dear X:

Due to the high volume of applications received by JABSOM, your secondary application is still under review. We apologize for the delay and will notify you by email upon completion of the review process.

Should you have any questions, please contact the JABSOM Office of Admissions at [email protected] or (808) 692-0892.
Thank you.
Office of Admissions
University of Hawai'i

Seems like they are moving a bit slower this year?
same

IS II on 10/7.

Secondaries complete on 8/2, my PREview score was released on 9/7. I thought they would wait for my PREview score, but apparently they aren't. I'm a re-applicant who was waitlisted last year. Last cycle I remember submitting everything end of August and getting an II in the first Friday of October. So things are indeed slower this cycle. Or maybe I'm a worse applicant since I'm reapplying lmao (but also rip) :cryi:

For IS applicants, Dean Asano seemed to imply that most would get an interview and that it didn't really matter when applicants finished since it's not rolling admissions. For OOS it's a whole different ball park.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS* II received yesterday!!! Completed 8/22. LM 76.

*I'm from a pacific island so I may be counted as basically in state*

OOS* II received yesterday!!! Completed 8/22. LM 76.

*I'm from a pacific island so I may be counted as basically in state*
Sadly they don’t count it that way, which is a bit unfortunate considering it’s the only med school close to most of the Pacific Islands. I checked last time I applied and my understanding was that moving back home to another Pacific Island wouldn’t have made a difference in IS vs OOS.

Got put on interview waitlist today. Does anyone know what this means? OOS complete 8/30 LM76.5

Radio silence for me. I wish I'd gotten ii waitlisted. At least I'd know where I stand with them.

Radio silence for me. I wish I'd gotten ii waitlisted. At least I'd know where I stand with them.
How long has it been? I had sent an email a few weeks past the time they listed in their acknowledgement email and told me that my file has been reviewed and that I’d be invited for interview. It took maybe a couple more weeks for it to happen. Might be worth a shot.

How long has it been? I had sent an email a few weeks past the time they listed in their acknowledgement email and told me that my file has been reviewed and that I’d be invited for interview. It took maybe a couple more weeks for it to happen. Might be worth a shot.
I'm OOS (with strong-ish ties) and was completed on 7/27 I believe.. they emailed me (twice) asking for my PREview exam dates and then emailed me again yesterday saying they had just received my score and added it to my file. My stats are pretty below their average so I was kind of assuming I would have been rejected by now... should i take this as a good sign/at what point should I inquire about my status.

I'm OOS (with strong-ish ties) and was completed on 7/27 I believe.. they emailed me (twice) asking for my PREview exam dates and then emailed me again yesterday saying they had just received my score and added it to my file. My stats are pretty below their average so I was kind of assuming I would have been rejected by now... should i take this as a good sign/at what point should I inquire about my status.
I'm not sure. It might be worth sending the email. I had already taken the PREview exam before they emailed about it and I asked if receiving the score a few weeks after submitting my Secondary would affect when my application is reviewed. Here's their response.

"The Preview score will not be used for screening purposes. The score is used for the final review of your application with the admissions committee. This is done at the end of the admissions process."