2022-2023 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

OOS secondary received, same prompts as last year

Still waiting on my IS secondary. Can you post the prompts?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS received the secondary this morning. Here are the prompts:

1. Please briefly describe how the pandemic impacted your ability to pursue experiences like clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service.

2. Please list any and all future activities in clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service that you plan to pursue in the upcoming year.

3. Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

4. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

5. Describe a situation which you found challenging. How did you manage it? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

@wysdoc @lcm.md.mom

Reactions: 1 user
"Please list any and all future activities in clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service that you plan to pursue in the upcoming year."

Are you guys just listing them only or explaining too?
Im explaining too. Just be concise

Have any IS people completed the Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges? I didn't receive a confirmation email or anything, so I'm just confused about if we have to do anything after we submit.

Have any IS people completed the Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges? I didn't receive a confirmation email or anything, so I'm just confused about if we have to do anything after we submit.

So mine was giving me errors surrounding my date of birth. The link seemed broken... Was yours going through?

So mine was giving me errors surrounding my date of birth. The link seemed broken... Was yours going through?
Yeah, I submitted the form and it worked fine for me. I'm confused because in last year's thread they were talking about emailing someone but I didn't have to do anything like that.

Where does one find this form?? Is it required to be considered IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does one find this form?? Is it required to be considered IS?

If you are a Virginia resident and have not completed your Virginia In-state Educational Privileges form, please submit it as soon as possible to the University of Virginia Office of Virginia Status. If you plan to submit your VA Status Form by email, please include “School of Medicine” in the subject line. This form must be received prior to an interview.

Homepage | Office of Virginia Status

^ this is what I received once I submitted my secondary

If you are a Virginia resident and have not completed your Virginia In-state Educational Privileges form, please submit it as soon as possible to the University of Virginia Office of Virginia Status. If you plan to submit your VA Status Form by email, please include “School of Medicine” in the subject line. This form must be received prior to an interview.
Thank you!

Anyone else having trouble submitting the Virginia In-state Educational Privileges form? I'm on Section C and swear I have the required fields filled out, but it won't let me advance.

EDIT: I emailed the residency office and they sent me a form to email back to them. Hopefully this is resolved.

Last edited:
How are you guys answering the second question?

"2. Please list any and all future activities in clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service that you plan to pursue in the upcoming year."

For the COVID essay, it only asks about extracurricular interruptions, but did anyone else also include an explanation for academic issues due to the pandemic?

Saw somebody get an II on reddit, anyone else hear anything??
Nope, and honestly that person was complete as an OOS applicant before I (an IS applicant) even received my secondary and I was verified the first week of June LOL.

• Haha
Nope, and honestly that person was complete as an OOS applicant before I (an IS applicant) even received my secondary and I was verified the first week of June LOL.
Yeah I’m thinking there’s some shananigans going on

Reactions: 1 users
Hello folks, I had a question. Does UVA a) keep track of when you get secondary and submit and more importantly b) do they have a secondary due date? This will determine whether I submit my UVA secondary tomorrow or wait a little (edit) and then submit haha.

II this morning via email at 11:58am! OOS complete on 7/27. Stats in signature.

Reactions: 4 users
II on 8/11! WARS 92, LM 81, OOS, ORM, no state ties. Complete 7/27

How did you guys answer the secondary question:
"Please list any and all future activities in clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service that you plan to pursue in the upcoming year (no word count)."

Is this basically suppose to be a short description of what you are going to do in future and not present? I sort of just copy and pasted one of my gap year essays onto here, but now I am contemplating making it simpler

How did you guys answer the secondary question:
"Please list any and all future activities in clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service that you plan to pursue in the upcoming year (no word count)."

Is this basically suppose to be a short description of what you are going to do in future and not present? I sort of just copy and pasted one of my gap year essays onto here, but now I am contemplating making it simpler
I just used a short gap year essay that was around 1000 characters. I talked about how I plan to continue all the activities that I am currently doing and added some future activities I will do later this year. Hope this helps!

It seems like they're doing IIs for OOS applicants first. Is that what they have done historically?

Do they send out II's on weekends? I was complete 7/28 (like pinchybug above) and I need to make a decision on whether I should move on emotionally from UVA and pursue other romantic interests

• Haha
It seems like they're doing IIs for OOS applicants first. Is that what they have done historically?
Yeah, if you look through the threads of the past 2 years it seems like IS IIs didn't start until the end of Sept or so.

Do they send out II's on weekends? I was complete 7/28 (like pinchybug above) and I need to make a decision on whether I should move on emotionally from UVA and pursue other romantic interests
Dude don't sweat it, you still have several weeks before you need to "move on"

I just used a short gap year essay that was around 1000 characters. I talked about how I plan to continue all the activities that I am currently doing and added some future activities I will do later this year. Hope this helps!
Perfect! Thanks! I will use a gap year essay from another school as well.

Schools look through app multiple times so there are many more chances to get II, its only over until March or whenever interview season ends. Is already super early rn

Schools look through app multiple times so there are many more chances to get II, its only over until March or whenever interview season ends. Is already super early rn

Ohhhh good to know, sorry I thought they’d just take one look then sort to the trash pile…thank you for this information :’)

@LizzyM

Just wondering, is what I said about interview invites correct? I just want to make sure I am not giving wrong information.

Applications take 20-30 minutes to review. You may be at the top of the pile the reader has to review this week, or the bottom of the unranked list. Because readers are assigned to a chunk of applications while other applicants have to wait until next week or next month (keep in mind, 25% of all applications arrive on day 1), you might still be waiting while someone else was lucky to be assigned to a reader last week. It is also important to remember that sometimes a reader will fall behind or take longer than planned to get through their assigned stack. Also, some schools will hold back on making invites until just a couple weeks before the possible dates. We might have enough "plan to invite" applicants right now to fill all the dates through the end of October but if we make those invitations now, it is likely that many will contact us to reschedule or cancel so we hold off until later. (The use of "we" does not insinuate that I'm at this school.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Applications take 20-30 minutes to review. You may be at the top of the pile the reader has to review this week, or the bottom of the unranked list. Because readers are assigned to a chunk of applications while other applicants have to wait until next week or next month (keep in mind, 25% of all applications arrive on day 1), so you might still be waiting while someone else was lucky to be assigned to a reader last week. It is also important to remember that sometimes a reader will fall behind or take longer than planned to get through their assigned stack. Also, some schools will hold back on making invites until just a couple weeks before the possible dates. We might have enough "plan to invite" applicants right now to fill all the dates through the end of October but if we make those invitations now, it is likely that many will contact us to reschedule or cancel so we hold off until later. (The use of "we" does not insinuate that I'm at this school.)
Let's say an application is reviewed and doesn't get an interview invite. Can the application be reviewed again in the future for consideration for an interview invite?

Let's say an application is reviewed and doesn't get an interview invite. Can the application be reviewed again in the future for consideration for an interview invite?
In my opinion, it would be unlikely unless a VIP contacted the Dean or the Development office to say that their little darling had applied and was waiting to hear. In those "special interest" cases, the Dean of Admissions might get a phone call and take a look to determine if there is any way the previously "unqualified for interview" applicant might be granted a courtesy interview.

In my opinion, it would be unlikely unless a VIP contacted the Dean or the Development office to say that their little darling had applied and was waiting to hear. In those "special interest" cases, the Dean of Admissions might get a phone call and take a look to determine if there is any way the previously "unqualified for interview" applicant might be granted a courtesy interview.
What about in the case of application update letters? If I were to send one in, say October, after my application had been first reviewed, will someone look at my application again? Or will it just sit there until an inevitable R? Thanks!

What about in the case of application update letters? If I were to send one in, say October, after my application had been first reviewed, will someone look at my application again? Or will it just sit there until an inevitable R? Thanks!
If the school is open to updates, it might be holding some "good" candidates with the intention of inviting them toward the end when the supply of "great" candidates has been exhausted. To choose from among the "good" candidates, those who have sent up-dates might be more likely to be chosen. It won't be that your application will get another 30 minute review but that the reader's notes will be reviewed as well as any up-dates.

If your application has been judged to be "weak", then it is possible that the up-date will not be reviewed because nothing that would up-date the application would overcome the gross defects (e.g. really substandard GPA and MCAT, poorly written essays, unclear motivation for medicine, LOR with profound reservations about the candidate, etc)

• Love
If the school is open to updates, it might be holding some "good" candidates with the intention of inviting them toward the end when the supply of "great" candidates has been exhausted. To choose from among the "good" candidates, those who have sent up-dates might be more likely to be chosen. It won't be that your application will get another 30 minute review but that the reader's notes will be reviewed as well as any up-dates.

If your application has been judged to be "weak", then it is possible that the up-date will not be reviewed because nothing that would up-date the application would overcome the gross defects (e.g. really substandard GPA and MCAT, poorly written essays, unclear motivation for medicine, LOR with profound reservations about the candidate, etc)
Thanks for the all info!!

Anyone else having trouble submitting the Virginia In-state Educational Privileges form? I'm on Section C and swear I have the required fields filled out, but it won't let me advance.

EDIT: I emailed the residency office and they sent me a form to email back to them. Hopefully this is resolved.
I ended up calling the office and on page 2 you have to put in your date of birth as YEAR-MONTH-DAY.