2023-2024 Carle-Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Carle-Illinois Secondary Prompts

Note: Carle uses a unique format for its secondary. Please read the instructions carefully. There is a video response that you have to do in addition to the below.

Carle Illinois is looking for everything most other medical schools are looking for – and something more. If you are completing our secondary application, you have already passed the threshold for our competency checklist. Well done. Now we want to find out more about you.

Our secondary application is unique. We are looking for physician-innovators. Does that describe you? Our secondary application is your chance to demonstrate that you have the compassion, curiosity and creativity we believe a physician-innovator needs. We are asking you to complete a portfolio comprised of three artifacts and three very short essays (100 words each). The portfolio provides an opportunity to SHOW US and TELL US how compassion, curiosity, and creativity have played out in your life through visual artifacts and short essays. How do you exemplify these values? How have you grown in these areas? Show us and tell us the connections between these values and your experience. The artifacts should be somewhat reflective in nature so share your thoughts and insights. For example, if you did or are still doing work in a research lab, we are less interested in a detailed description of the science and more interested in learning what you actually did, how YOU contributed, and if you were able to be innovative. Was the activity you are presenting part of a class for credit or something you did on your own? Was this part of a team? If so, what was YOUR role? Show us and tell us who you are, and why you are a strong applicant for our program.

Each artifact should be uploaded as a PDF (one page for each value, formatted no larger than 8.5" x 11"). No hyperlinks or embedded videos are allowed. We encourage you to make your artifacts image focused. Your artifacts will be most powerful if you include multiple activities for each and clearly indicate the quality and depth of your experience, but only include that which is meaningful for the value. You may repeat experiences listed on your AMCAS application and/or include new ones. Please do not include activities from high school or earlier unless they are of very high quality or impact (an example would be achieving Eagle Scout rank). Family interactions/relationships ("spending time with family") are unlikely to score well unless you can show how they are noteworthy or significant (an example would be full-time caregiver for a family member for a period). As you are completing your portfolio, please keep in mind that our screeners will evaluate your portfolio independently BEFORE they evaluate your AMCAS application so do not assume the screeners are aware of any of the information in your AMCAS.

Captions or other brief notes can be included on the artifact to help the screener understand your images. Don't provide an essay in place of a visual artifact unless you are an extraordinarily skilled writer! In addition to any notes included on your artifact, each artifact will be accompanied by a very brief essay (maximum 100 words) to give context to your artifact. While the content of your portfolio is of primary importance, our reviewers are also evaluating your presentation. This does not mean you have to be "artistic", but it is valuable to show an innovative approach.

Compassion
We believe in creating physicians who, in addition to solving healthcare's most complex problems, are also tender, kind, and warm. From day one, you will be working with patients.

Show Us - How have you changed the lives of others? What have you experienced that has fostered a deep sense of compassion? For example, have you had a moving volunteer experience? Have you learned through adversity and shared those lessons with others in need? Share with us the ways you’ve impacted a larger population and help us see how you will be the type of physician we would entrust with our most beloved community members.

Upload Compassion PDF artifact.

Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine's value of Compassion.

Curiosity
Carle Illinois College of Medicine values lifelong learners. We want to see your passion for learning and growing!

Show Us - How have you explored new interests, cultures, or people? Have you identified a need and taken the initiative to respond to that need? For example, is there a research project or work experience you’d like to share? Has your curiosity fostered a deeper sense of vulnerability, resilience, or life-long learning? If so, how? Let us see where your curiosity has taken you.

Upload Curiosity PDF artifact
Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine's value of Curiosity.

Creativity
The dictionary tells us that innovation is a new method, idea, or product. Often there is an outcome, a clearly defined result, or a new thing is discovered. The introduction of something new requires dynamic thinking and creative solutions. Creativity is key to innovation. Help us see your creativity!

Show Us - What are the ways you demonstrate you have an active mind? What are you really proud of? For example, have you used technology in novel or distinct ways? What innovative solutions have you employed in your work, healthcare, or hobbies? Have you taken a risk to respond to a problem, to express yourself, or to achieve your goals? Describe how you live and lead a creative life.

Upload Creativity PDF Artifact

Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how your artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Creativity.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone fill out the competency checklist? In the website linked in the email there was a button at the bottom of the page underneath my name and email which I clicked and it displayed "Thank you for submitting your competency checklist. You will hear from us soon if you are invited to complete a secondary application." I didn't actually fill out anything so I'm confused

Reactions: 1 user
Stuck at the prereq. Thinking of taking calculus III, differential equation, or Linear Algebra ... Is it mandatory? sigh

Here are the secondaries @chilly_md

It seems like it is similar to last year, and on top of this portfolio section there is a video response section you will have to do on a topic of their choosing.

Carle Illinois is looking for everything most other medical schools are looking for – and something more. If you are completing our secondary application, you have already passed the threshold for our competency checklist. Well done. Now we want to find out more about you.

Our secondary application is unique. We are looking for physician-innovators. Does that describe you? Our secondary application is your chance to demonstrate that you have the compassion, curiosity and creativity we believe a physician-innovator needs. We are asking you to complete a portfolio comprised of three artifacts and three very short essays (100 words each). The portfolio provides an opportunity to SHOW US and TELL US how compassion, curiosity, and creativity have played out in your life through visual artifacts and short essays. How do you exemplify these values? How have you grown in these areas? Show us and tell us the connections between these values and your experience. The artifacts should be somewhat reflective in nature so share your thoughts and insights. For example, if you did or are still doing work in a research lab, we are less interested in a detailed description of the science and more interested in learning what you actually did, how YOU contributed, and if you were able to be innovative. Was the activity you are presenting part of a class for credit or something you did on your own? Was this part of a team? If so, what was YOUR role? Show us and tell us who you are, and why you are a strong applicant for our program.

Each artifact should be uploaded as a PDF (one page for each value, formatted no larger than 8.5" x 11"). No hyperlinks or embedded videos are allowed. We encourage you to make your artifacts image focused. Your artifacts will be most powerful if you include multiple activities for each and clearly indicate the quality and depth of your experience, but only include that which is meaningful for the value. You may repeat experiences listed on your AMCAS application and/or include new ones. Please do not include activities from high school or earlier unless they are of very high quality or impact (an example would be achieving Eagle Scout rank). Family interactions/relationships ("spending time with family") are unlikely to score well unless you can show how they are noteworthy or significant (an example would be full-time caregiver for a family member for a period). As you are completing your portfolio, please keep in mind that our screeners will evaluate your portfolio independently BEFORE they evaluate your AMCAS application so do not assume the screeners are aware of any of the information in your AMCAS.

Captions or other brief notes can be included on the artifact to help the screener understand your images. Don't provide an essay in place of a visual artifact unless you are an extraordinarily skilled writer! In addition to any notes included on your artifact, each artifact will be accompanied by a very brief essay (maximum 100 words) to give context to your artifact. While the content of your portfolio is of primary importance, our reviewers are also evaluating your presentation. This does not mean you have to be "artistic", but it is valuable to show an innovative approach.

Compassion
We believe in creating physicians who, in addition to solving healthcare's most complex problems, are also tender, kind, and warm. From day one, you will be working with patients.

Show Us - How have you changed the lives of others? What have you experienced that has fostered a deep sense of compassion? For example, have you had a moving volunteer experience? Have you learned through adversity and shared those lessons with others in need? Share with us the ways you’ve impacted a larger population and help us see how you will be the type of physician we would entrust with our most beloved community members.

Upload Compassion PDF artifact.
Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine's value of Compassion.

Curiosity
Carle Illinois College of Medicine values lifelong learners. We want to see your passion for learning and growing!

Show Us - How have you explored new interests, cultures, or people? Have you identified a need and taken the initiative to respond to that need? For example, is there a research project or work experience you’d like to share? Has your curiosity fostered a deeper sense of vulnerability, resilience, or life-long learning? If so, how? Let us see where your curiosity has taken you.

Upload Curiosity PDF artifact
Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how this artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine's value of Curiosity.

Creativity
The dictionary tells us that innovation is a new method, idea, or product. Often there is an outcome, a clearly defined result, or a new thing is discovered. The introduction of something new requires dynamic thinking and creative solutions. Creativity is key to innovation. Help us see your creativity!

Show Us - What are the ways you demonstrate you have an active mind? What are you really proud of? For example, have you used technology in novel or distinct ways? What innovative solutions have you employed in your work, healthcare, or hobbies? Have you taken a risk to respond to a problem, to express yourself, or to achieve your goals? Describe how you live and lead a creative life.

Upload Creativity PDF Artifact
Tell Us - In 100 words or less, explain how your artifact reflects Carle Illinois College of Medicine’s value of Creativity.

Reactions: 1 users
For Carle’s LoR, it says that “Premedical committee reports or other composite letters of recommendation of any length or style will count as 3 letters”.

Would Carle prefer a committee letter if my pre-med committee writes the letter with no input from other recommenders? Or would it be better to select three other recommenders and decline submitting a committee letter?

So I am curious how this school works. Instead of an interview, you get invited to a showcase? What does this entail are we showing off our artifacts? I'm an engineering major, so this school seems tailor made for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am curious how this school works. Instead of an interview, you get invited to a showcase? What does this entail are we showing off our artifacts? I'm an engineering major, so this school seems tailor made for me.
I'm in the same boat as a fellow engineering major. Don't quote me on this, but based on MSAR and the FAQ on their website, it says that the showcase events don't include any evaluation of candidates, so I'd imagine it serves as an informational event to dive deeper into the school and what it has to offer.

I'm in the same boat as a fellow engineering major. Don't quote me on this, but based on MSAR and the FAQ on their website, it says that the showcase events don't include any evaluation of candidates, so I'd imagine it serves as an informational event to dive deeper into the school and what it has to offer.
Gotcha basically the equivalent to an informational session that other schools offer. Best of luck this cycle!

Got a showcase invite last year. There is basically no evaluation after you submit your secondary. They send you a link to a website with a bunch of videos and information about the school that you can look through at your own pace. There were two 1-hour Q&A sessions, one with staff and one with students, where applicants (13 - 16 in each group) spend the entire time asking questions about the school. Since it's not evaluated, you can ask whatever you want or need to decide whether you want to come here. It was super chill and the students were very, very honest about their concerns with the school and what they liked about it. I believe everything is truly optional, because there are many people who got As last year prior to attending a session, but I found it super helpful to learn more about the school.

My notes from last year are here: 2022-2023 Carle-Illinois

They also don't accept any pre/post II updates or letter of intents, so it just becomes a waiting game.

Last edited:
How long was the turnaround for the competency checklist for you guys?

I turned mine in like 5 days ago but still haven’t gotten a secondary. I uploaded 3 documents (old course syllabi) since 3 of the competency courses’ names on my transcript didn’t directly match the course name they listed lol. Is that maybe why?

How long was the turnaround for the competency checklist for you guys?

I turned mine in like 5 days ago but still haven’t gotten a secondary. I uploaded 3 documents (old course syllabi) since 3 of the competency courses’ names on my transcript didn’t directly match the course name they listed lol. Is that maybe why?
I got my secondary within hours of submitting the checklist. Maybe it is something to do with your document upload? If you don't hear back soon, I would suggest emailing them.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

I'm a current M1 at Carle. I know the application process and secondary for Carle is super weird, so feel free to DM me for any questions. But overall, good luck for the entire cycle and stay strong! The anxiety during the entire wait process is no joke, especially because Carle doesn't do interviews or updates.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

I'm a current M1 at Carle. I know the application process and secondary for Carle is super weird, so feel free to DM me for any questions. But overall, good luck for the entire cycle and stay strong! The anxiety during the entire wait process is no joke, especially because Carle doesn't do interviews or updates.
What did accepted students do for their visual artifacts?

What did accepted students do for their visual artifacts?
I think Carle did artifacts instead of the classic essay to let you be creative with your application. A lot of my classmates made collages either in powerpoint or Canva, and some even hand painted symbols representing themselves. So I would recommend finding the best way to visually represent your application and be creative with it. Keep in mind these artifacts you make for your secondaries are reviewed over and over again in the application cycle because they don't do interviews.

Hey guys,

When did you and your classmates receive your acceptances?

When did you and your classmates receive your acceptances?
I'm also a current M1. The first acceptances and waitlists started coming out Mid January to Mid February. Not to worry if you don't get yours that early or if you are waitlisted. A lot of students in my class were accepted in May!

If I want to use images from my volunteering activities and they are people with medical needs, is it still okay to use them if I blur their faces? Also, would it be HIPPA violation even though it wasn't in a clinical setting?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I want to use images from my volunteering activities and they are people with medical needs, is it still okay to use them if I blur their faces? Also, would it be HIPPA violation even though it wasn't in a clinical setting?
I don't think that would constitute a HIPAA violation if their identity is not revealed via picture, so it would probably be fine if the blur sufficiently masks identity. I mixed some pictures of activities I did while throwing in more generic ones because I just did not have a lot of pictures haha.

is anyone aware of the timeline for showcase invites? i know they started in mid october last year but i was curious how long they usually went until.

is anyone aware of the timeline for showcase invites? i know they started in mid october last year but i was curious how long they usually went until.

I believe years before they didn’t start until late November/December, but last year specifically showcase interviews went out from mid October to end of December. Mid Jan they started sending pre-showcase Rs. But they are such a new school that the timeline seems to change a bit every year

Showcase invite just now! Complete 8/1

Hey guys,

Hey can I DM you? Sdn says I can't because I think you might have some view restrictions?

Showcase invite today! Complete 08/17

Reapplicant and this was my only “II” last year, so I’m excited!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Could I ask what your LM is?

I had a 3.9 and 514. they are very very holistic and have accepted people of all scores. They legit have the widest median range on MSAR I’ve ever seen (I’ll edit this later when I have a chance to pull the values)

And thanks :)

OOS Showcase II received. Submitted 8/20. 74 LM score.

Random question: does Carle send secondary receipt or "complete" emails?

I got the "Under Review" email; you happen to get anything else?
I believe the under review is complete email. That's what I got and body of email states they're looking over our secondary and primary application