You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Commonwealth (Geisinger)
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
asclepius12
Full Member
II today! Complete mid Aug. Does anyone know if it's a separate interview notification for the Abigail Scholars? Am I still in the running if I just received a generic II?
coolhuevos
Full Member
I did even though i applied to the same program months ago. Found it odd, but it probably means nothing...?Did anyone else receive an information packet on the Abigail Scholars Program in the mail?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also got it! I think they were sending them last year to all applicants as well.Did anyone else receive an information packet on the Abigail Scholars Program in the mail?
you get to walk around the school and meet the students and some faculty staffDid anyone attend the first campus visit/recruitment day? If so what should I expect and what did you do?
I got one! 🙂Did anyone else receive an information packet on the Abigail Scholars Program in the mail?
Thorgan17
Full Member
Any big preparation work? Was it an enjoyable time?I also got it! I think they were sending them last year to all applicants as well.
you get to walk around the school and meet the students and some faculty staff
IS II complete mid-September LM 79, interview dates available Feb onwards
No you don’t need to prep at all, except maybe the questions you would like to ask the students. Mostly it’s just an informative session about the school, curriculum and you get to chat with premeds and med students, plus they give you a lunch break and coffee break. It was cool, I’d highly recommend visiting it if you can🙂Any big preparation work? Was it an enjoyable time?
Thorgan17
Full Member
I am doing suitFor anyone who went on the tour, did you wearing formal clothes or business casual? Debating whether I should throw on a blazer or just a blouse!
are decisions coming tomorrow?
Briefly scrolling through previous years’ threads, it seems as if very few people actually get acceptances in October, and most people get deferred to future months for re-review, though I don’t think they’ll inform you if that happens to youare decisions coming tomorrow?
D
deleted1165389
i believe they would share if we receive a delayed decision, no?Briefly scrolling through previous years’ threads, it seems as if very few people actually get acceptances in October, and most people get deferred to future months for re-review, though I don’t think they’ll inform you if that happens to you
Maybe they just send a few handful of decisions today/soon they are certain about and then the rest trickle in as more people are interviewed. I think they do notify that a delayed decision (aka no decision made yet) but also not sure when that will be eitheri believe they would share if we receive a delayed decision, no?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interview date?deferred to next committee meeting
IS acceptance!! also interviewed 09/06
congrats!IS acceptance!! also interviewed 09/06
were you guys notified vie email/mail/phone?
congrats!
were you guys notified vie email/mail/phone?
Email at 3:08 PM titled “Congratulations!” The acceptance letter is a bit personalized so maybe it’ll be staggered out
burntoutgiftedkid
Full Member
IS A, interviewed 9/11, was not expecting this today--stoked!
microlil88
Full Member
In State Acceptance, Interviewed 9/11! Feeling so blessed!
bumblebee123456789
Full Member
I was deferred yesterday. Feeling pretty sad about this. Does anyone know if it’s common to get an A after a deferral?
Looking at previous application cycle threads, it appears that some people who received the limbo email that the adcom has "elected to defer your application to the next committee meeting..." had a mixed experience. Some were offered the A about 2 months after the deferral, while others were eventually put on the Alternate List later in the cycle, with some eventually being offer an A but others rejected at the end of the cycle. I was not able to find any stats on the percentages of each category.
Deferred on Monday. Interviewed 9/6. In state. Bummed. Congrats to all the acceptances, I am sure you deserve it.
chicagohotdog
Full Member
declined my interview invite today, hope one of yall get it and cop the A!
Did you guys write a thank you letter after the interview?
its MMI format, which makes me not want to send one since I didn't really connect with anyone, but I might just send a general thank you to the adcoms.Did you guys write a thank you letter after the interview?
its MMI format, which makes me not want to send one since I didn't really connect with anyone, but I might just send a general thank you to the adcoms.
same here. not sure what to say haha
same here. not sure what to say haha
I sent a short one to admissions like 2 days later. Probably didn’t matter but I’m glad I did
I didn’t bc it wasn’t a personal format of interview, so I couldn’t really say any specific in the emailDid you guys write a thank you letter after the interview?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's a good idea to send one even if it's not specific/based on personal connection. Still helps show your interest in the school.Did you guys write a thank you letter after the interview?
I did not. I didn’t think there was much to say.Did you guys write a thank you letter after the interview?
ChaChaSlide
Full Member
How long does it usually take for adcom to make a decision after interviewing?
How long does it usually take for adcom to make a decision after interviewing?
I believe they send out As in batches, so based on last years the next should be around mid November (~11/15)!
D
deleted1165389
Last year it was 11/7 and 12/7 but idk if that will be the same this yearI believe they send out As in batches, so based on last years the next should be around mid November (~11/15)!
Thanks for the info! Just as a followup question, does everyone that gets interviewed before that date receive a decision by then? Or do you have to at least wait like 4 weeks after your interview date? Because I interviewed on last Friday so the 7th is only a week and a half after they meet. And also they informed us that decisions could take 6-8 weeks. I assume that the people that also interviewed with me would only hear back on 12/7 right? Thanks!Last year it was 11/7 and 12/7 but idk if that will be the same this year
Thanks for the info! Just as a followup question, does everyone that gets interviewed before that date receive a decision by then? Or do you have to at least wait like 4 weeks after your interview date? Because I interviewed on last Friday so the 7th is only a week and a half after they meet. And also they informed us that decisions could take 6-8 weeks. I assume that the people that also interviewed with me would only hear back on 12/7 right? Thanks!
It seems like the most recent mid-Oct decision release mainly had people who interviewed in September, so you’re probably more likely to hear back in December. But who knows, some schools are quicker than others.
D
deleted1165389
Do people think more decisions will be released today?
bumblebee123456789
Full Member
Do people think more decisions will be released today?
There’s a possibility. Last year some were released this Monday. However, as a deferred applicant I didn’t see any deferred last year hear back today
Did they call or was it an email?
YungSpidey
New Member
Just received my II... soonest available MMI is in February. Is that normal?
imanurse
Full Member
Just received my II... soonest available MMI is in February. Is that normal?
I mean they say they accept applications till Jan
pencil434
Full Member
Folks that interviewed -- did you receive an email from Geisinger before your interview with the exact timings and zoom links? My interview day is very quickly approaching and I haven't received this info. I see the "sample" schedules on the portal and am assuming that the interview day will follow that agenda, but just want to make sure I am not missing anything!
Appeal to school-specific thread: Geisinger Commonwealth SOM recommended PREview for the 2023-2024 cycle.
Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.
HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.
Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.
Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.
Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.
Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!
Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!
Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.
HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.
Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.
Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.
Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.
Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!
Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jimmytherockstar
Full Member
I'm interviewing tomorrow, still havent received the info yet.Folks that interviewed -- did you receive an email from Geisinger before your interview with the exact timings and zoom links? My interview day is very quickly approaching and I haven't received this info. I see the "sample" schedules on the portal and am assuming that the interview day will follow that agenda, but just want to make sure I am not missing anything!
Fateisasong
Full Member
I'm interviewing soon, did they send you an email?I'm interviewing tomorrow, still havent received the info yet.
jimmytherockstar
Full Member
yeah they sent a email later in the eveningI'm interviewing soon, did they send you an email?
Not sure if a Letter of Interest would help, but I'm hoping for an II as this program is one of my top choices, especially with the Abigail Geisinger Scholars Program. Wishing everyone a blessed application process!
Last edited: