You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Howard
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm on the waitlist but thanks for the info!There's a thread about the Second Look visits on the GroupMe chat for accepted students, might be worth sending a message there as well if you haven't joined yet. Join the Howard University College of Medicine-Class of 2028 group on Facebook and then scroll down to the post about the GroupMe and join the chat.
romeobdarija
Full Member
I got the email saying my application was reviewed on 10/9 and haven’t heard anything since. Is it worth sending a letter of interest/intent? [emoji24][emoji24]
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lovely2025
Full Member
any decisions today?
Join the club “sad noises”I got the email saying my application was reviewed on 10/9 and haven’t heard anything since. Is it worth sending a letter of interest/intent? [emoji24][emoji24]
I know someone that waited months after their interview and heard nothing until first day of class I think Howard just does things on their own time it’s hard to gaugeI got the application reviewed email on 11/1. If I have not heard back by now, is it likely I wont be offered a ii?
soontobemed_
Full Member
ghosted on v-day and the last first friday is next week 🥲 it’s been fun y’all.
I got the application reviewed email on 11/1. If I have not heard back by now, is it likely I wont be offered a ii?
Been complete since July and haven’t heard anything best of luck.
Is Howard not accepting calls AT ALL???
TheD1Doctor
Full Member
I feel like this has been the most grueling cycle with regard to the HBCUs. Getting toward the end of the cycle and there is almost no communication.
PrettyMDD
Full Member
I feel like this has been the most grueling cycle with regard to the HBCUs. Getting toward the end of the cycle and there is almost no communication.
This rhetoric toward HBCU’s is crazy. I applied to plenty PWI’s and some of them have been quiet all cycle as well.
+1, their reply seemed to indicate my initial update letter ended up in their spam folder lolI submitted an update letter in January and they just now replied saying that it was added to my file! Hoping that it leads to good news lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 they also replied to me today regarding the second update letter I sent to them early JanuaryI submitted an update letter in January and they just now replied saying that it was added to my file! Hoping that it leads to good news lol
They also responded to my update letter today from January 12th. I’m so nervous since they are my #1
It isn’t rhetoric though if it’s been proven to be true several times. HBCUs are known to be slower across the board. Let’s not allow our high hopes in receiving our medical degrees from an HBCU obscure us from this reality.This rhetoric toward HBCU’s is crazy. I applied to plenty PWI’s and some of them have been quiet all cycle as well.
PrettyMDD
Full Member
It isn’t rhetoric though if it’s been proven to be true several times. HBCUs are known to be slower across the board. Let’s not allow our high hopes in receiving our medical degrees from an HBCU obscure us from this reality.
Proven by who? Random ppl on SDN who are upset HBCU’s aren’t chasing them down to get into their school? I’ve spoken to PWI’s who told me their cycle runs until March/April. Ppl just have less grace and way more entitlement with HBCU’s. A PWI in TEXAS also accepts people not too long before orientation.
Look at the previous threads for HBCUs. There’s a consistent theme that is associated with them being slower and that’s okay. It is what it is because that’s the price that comes with applying whether it’s to an HBCU or PWI.Proven by who? Random ppl on SDN who are upset HBCU’s aren’t chasing them down to get into their school? I’ve spoken to PWI’s who told me their cycle runs until March/April. Ppl just have less grace and way more entitlement with HBCU’s. A PWI in TEXAS also accepts people not too long before orientation.
I’ve applied to plenty of PWIs too, but I can be transparent too because whenever I’ve sent an update regarding my app, I’ve gotten responses confirming receipt of said update that didn’t take nearly 1.5 month to receive. I believe that’s the frustration many HBCU applicants have, in addition to the fact that Howard is one of the very few programs that does not accept the AAMC FAP as a form of payment when submitting their secondary.
PrettyMDD
Full Member
Look at the previous threads for HBCUs. There’s a consistent theme that is associated with them being slower and that’s okay. It is what it is because that’s the price that comes with applying whether it’s to an HBCU or PWI.
I’ve applied to plenty of PWIs too, but I can be transparent too because whenever I’ve sent an update regarding my app, I’ve gotten responses confirming receipt of said update that didn’t take nearly 1.5 month to receive. I believe that’s the frustration many HBCU applicants have, in addition to the fact that Howard is one of the very few programs that does not accept the AAMC FAP as a form of payment when submitting their secondary.
There’s def nuance and room for improvement but my own personal experience is Howard has always responded to my updates in a matter of days as well as answering the phone. All that to say, not everyone’s experience is the same & when i read the SDN for PWI’s i never see all this flack given the way it’s given at HBCU’s. The concerns are fair if it’s your personal experience but I’d hate for all this to be discouraging to future black MD’s interested in HBCU’s especially in this climate of anti- DEI/ anti- affirmative action.
muffinman#3
Full Member
I don’t think calling out hbcu’s for the unprofessionalism and still supporting their cause for promoting future black doctors are mutually exclusive. A lot of schools need to stop acting like they are doing us a favor. We paid thousands of dollars to apply, the least they can do is respond in a timely mannerThere’s def nuance and room for improvement but my own personal experience is Howard has always responded to my updates in a matter of days as well as answering the phone. All that to say, not everyone’s experience is the same & when i read the SDN for PWI’s i never see all this flack given the way it’s given at HBCU’s. The concerns are fair if it’s your personal experience but I’d hate for all this to be discouraging to future black MD’s interested in HBCU’s especially in this climate of anti- DEI/ anti- affirmative action.
PrettyMDD
Full Member
I don’t think calling out hbcu’s for the unprofessionalism and still supporting their cause for promoting future black doctors are mutually exclusive. A lot of schools need to stop acting like they are doing us a favor. We paid thousands of dollars to apply, the least they can do is respond in a timely manner
Facts- my main point is this isn’t HBCU exclusive. So it’s one thing to say “this school is so unprofessional” it’s another thing to say “HBCU’s are so unprofessional” which is what was said. Esp when PWI’s are doing the exact same thing right now.
muffinman#3
Full Member
It’s also human nature I guess because there are only 4 hbcu med schools and hundreds of PWI’s and all 4 have ghosted me at different points and I assume a lot of people feel the sameFacts- my main point is this isn’t HBCU exclusive. So it’s one thing to say “this school is so unprofessional” it’s another thing to say “HBCU’s are so unprofessional” which is what was said. Esp when PWI’s are doing the exact same thing right now.
100% human nature and not to bring race into the conversation, but I know that we (referring to people of color) instinctively have this preconceived notion that “I’m applying to an HBCU and they’re eventually going to look out for me”. Hence why we tend to take it a bit more personal when we’re being ghosted by an HBCU, but also forgetting that those 4 programs can’t accept us all.It’s also human nature I guess because there are only 4 hbcu med schools and hundreds of PWI’s and all 4 have ghosted me at different points and I assume a lot of people feel the same
Hopefully interviews and acceptances roll out this last week and a half of february, heading into march 💛
drake22292992
Full Member
ikr like wthhh no intevrview and its almost march
Exactly, feels like a standstill lol, but we all just need to have faith of a mustard seed. something will shake eventually. We will be classmates someway, somehow lol.ikr like wthhh no intevrview and its almost march
PrettyMDD
Full Member
Exactly, feels like a standstill lol, but we all just need to have faith of a mustard seed. something will shake eventually. We will be classmates someway, somehow lol.
Amennnn
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
drake22292992
Full Member
bruh this school goes straight to voicemail because too many people been callingIt’s fine if they’re behind but I just want a status update or at least let us know the office is behind. Would it be the worst thing in the world to call?
I think someone earlier in the thread said something like they get 250 plus update letter emails a day, I can only imagine how many people are calling their number 🤣
lovely2025
Full Member
does anyone know if howard sends admissions decisions on fridays? i know they said they meet on thursdays so curious if we’ll be hearing back today
spirited wildflower
Full Member
Just placed on the alternate list. Interview was on Feb 7
lovely2025
Full Member
i interviewed the same day, hopefully i hear something back today. the waitlist was the best case scenario right?Just placed on the alternate list. Interview was on Feb 7
spirited wildflower
Full Member
Yeah, I think so, since they mentioned that all seats are filled right now! I hope you find out soon🤞🏾i interviewed the same day, hopefully i hear something back today. the waitlist was the best case scenario right?
drake22292992
Full Member
when the heck are we gonna get an interview. howard has been dragging one
Thank you for keeping us updated !
propofolpro
New Member
Does anyone have info about Howard Med? Are the student happy? Do they feel supported? It seems like I can't find info anywhere!
no.green.ham
Full Member
Any II updates?
Current students seem happy. They say most of everything is great. Best thing I’ve heard the most: collaborative, family-like dynamic. Worst thing I’ve heard the most: administrative stuff can take a long time to be processed (I’m sure you can guess from this app cycle).Does anyone have info about Howard Med? Are the student happy? Do they feel supported? It seems like I can't find info anywhere!
All in all I’ve heard mostly good things from the students.
For me personally it’s being around all shades of melanin and classmates/faculty that, more often than not, share the same goal of wanting to serve underserved populations.
youdarella
New Member
Third year here at Howard. Hang in there yall. They can be a bit slow. If you have any questions, lmk
soontobemed_
Full Member
any more interview slots left by chance?Third year here at Howard. Hang in there yall. They can be a bit slow. If you have any questions, lmk
Attachments
What's the vibe really like at Howard? You like it there or nah?Third year here at Howard. Hang in there yall. They can be a bit slow. If you have any questions, lmk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Questions that need answers .any more interview slots left by chance?
drake22292992
Full Member
when the heck are we gonna hear about interviews. like come on now howard
Third year here at Howard. Hang in there yall. They can be a bit slow. If you have any questions, lmk
When in the cycle did you receive interview?
youdarella
New Member
I enjoy it. I think it can be frustrating dealing with admin but I don’t think it’s exclusive to Howard just more exacerbated. My major gripe for the first two years was the curriculum was not tailored to studying for the boards. I memorized a bunch of facts and not really how to study for step. But that’s pretty much it for me. I like the people. No matter who you are, or what you’re into there’s a someone or group you’ll connect with but still feel like you belong as a whole. I also like research and being close to NIH was greatWhat's the vibe really like at Howard? You like it there or nah?
How long did you get to study for boards? Did it feel like you were starting from scratch since the first two years weren't tailored to it?I enjoy it. I think it can be frustrating dealing with admin but I don’t think it’s exclusive to Howard just more exacerbated. My major gripe for the first two years was the curriculum was not tailored to studying for the boards. I memorized a bunch of facts and not really how to study for step. But that’s pretty much it for me. I like the people. No matter who you are, or what you’re into there’s a someone or group you’ll connect with but still feel like you belong as a whole. I also like research and being close to NIH was great