2023-2024 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been able to reach them by phone? I’ve been getting voicemail and their mailbox is full 😭😭😫😫

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been able to reach them by phone? I’ve been getting voicemail and their mailbox is full 😭😭😫😫
at open house they said they’re not taking calls due to the high volume of calls they’ve been receiving and that they’re slightly behind bc of the winter storm plus the new years holiday they had off. Best way to be reached is through email

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed 11/20 still hope here?

Reactions: 2 users
There's a thread about the Second Look visits on the GroupMe chat for accepted students, might be worth sending a message there as well if you haven't joined yet. Join the Howard University College of Medicine-Class of 2028 group on Facebook and then scroll down to the post about the GroupMe and join the chat.
I'm on the waitlist but thanks for the info!

I got the email saying my application was reviewed on 10/9 and haven’t heard anything since. Is it worth sending a letter of interest/intent?

Reactions: 1 users
I got the email saying my application was reviewed on 10/9 and haven’t heard anything since. Is it worth sending a letter of interest/intent?
Join the club “sad noises”

I got the application reviewed email on 11/1. If I have not heard back by now, is it likely I wont be offered a ii?

Reactions: 1 user
I got the application reviewed email on 11/1. If I have not heard back by now, is it likely I wont be offered a ii?
I know someone that waited months after their interview and heard nothing until first day of class I think Howard just does things on their own time it’s hard to gauge

ghosted on v-day and the last first friday is next week 🥲 it’s been fun y’all.

Been complete since July and haven’t heard anything best of luck.

Is anyone planning on reapplying next cycle and want to chat to help eachother with essays, mcat, etc

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this has been the most grueling cycle with regard to the HBCUs. Getting toward the end of the cycle and there is almost no communication.

I feel like this has been the most grueling cycle with regard to the HBCUs. Getting toward the end of the cycle and there is almost no communication.

This rhetoric toward HBCU’s is crazy. I applied to plenty PWI’s and some of them have been quiet all cycle as well.

Reactions: 13 users
I submitted an update letter in January and they just now replied saying that it was added to my file! Hoping that it leads to good news lol

I submitted an update letter in January and they just now replied saying that it was added to my file! Hoping that it leads to good news lol
+1, their reply seemed to indicate my initial update letter ended up in their spam folder lol

+1 they also replied to me today regarding the second update letter I sent to them early January

They also responded to my update letter today from January 12th. I’m so nervous since they are my #1

This rhetoric toward HBCU’s is crazy. I applied to plenty PWI’s and some of them have been quiet all cycle as well.
It isn’t rhetoric though if it’s been proven to be true several times. HBCUs are known to be slower across the board. Let’s not allow our high hopes in receiving our medical degrees from an HBCU obscure us from this reality.

Reactions: 5 users
It isn’t rhetoric though if it’s been proven to be true several times. HBCUs are known to be slower across the board. Let’s not allow our high hopes in receiving our medical degrees from an HBCU obscure us from this reality.

Proven by who? Random ppl on SDN who are upset HBCU’s aren’t chasing them down to get into their school? I’ve spoken to PWI’s who told me their cycle runs until March/April. Ppl just have less grace and way more entitlement with HBCU’s. A PWI in TEXAS also accepts people not too long before orientation.

Proven by who? Random ppl on SDN who are upset HBCU’s aren’t chasing them down to get into their school? I’ve spoken to PWI’s who told me their cycle runs until March/April. Ppl just have less grace and way more entitlement with HBCU’s. A PWI in TEXAS also accepts people not too long before orientation.
Look at the previous threads for HBCUs. There’s a consistent theme that is associated with them being slower and that’s okay. It is what it is because that’s the price that comes with applying whether it’s to an HBCU or PWI.

I’ve applied to plenty of PWIs too, but I can be transparent too because whenever I’ve sent an update regarding my app, I’ve gotten responses confirming receipt of said update that didn’t take nearly 1.5 month to receive. I believe that’s the frustration many HBCU applicants have, in addition to the fact that Howard is one of the very few programs that does not accept the AAMC FAP as a form of payment when submitting their secondary.

Reactions: 3 users
Look at the previous threads for HBCUs. There’s a consistent theme that is associated with them being slower and that’s okay. It is what it is because that’s the price that comes with applying whether it’s to an HBCU or PWI.

I’ve applied to plenty of PWIs too, but I can be transparent too because whenever I’ve sent an update regarding my app, I’ve gotten responses confirming receipt of said update that didn’t take nearly 1.5 month to receive. I believe that’s the frustration many HBCU applicants have, in addition to the fact that Howard is one of the very few programs that does not accept the AAMC FAP as a form of payment when submitting their secondary.

There’s def nuance and room for improvement but my own personal experience is Howard has always responded to my updates in a matter of days as well as answering the phone. All that to say, not everyone’s experience is the same & when i read the SDN for PWI’s i never see all this flack given the way it’s given at HBCU’s. The concerns are fair if it’s your personal experience but I’d hate for all this to be discouraging to future black MD’s interested in HBCU’s especially in this climate of anti- DEI/ anti- affirmative action.

Reactions: 8 users
There’s def nuance and room for improvement but my own personal experience is Howard has always responded to my updates in a matter of days as well as answering the phone. All that to say, not everyone’s experience is the same & when i read the SDN for PWI’s i never see all this flack given the way it’s given at HBCU’s. The concerns are fair if it’s your personal experience but I’d hate for all this to be discouraging to future black MD’s interested in HBCU’s especially in this climate of anti- DEI/ anti- affirmative action.
I don’t think calling out hbcu’s for the unprofessionalism and still supporting their cause for promoting future black doctors are mutually exclusive. A lot of schools need to stop acting like they are doing us a favor. We paid thousands of dollars to apply, the least they can do is respond in a timely manner

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
I don’t think calling out hbcu’s for the unprofessionalism and still supporting their cause for promoting future black doctors are mutually exclusive. A lot of schools need to stop acting like they are doing us a favor. We paid thousands of dollars to apply, the least they can do is respond in a timely manner

Facts- my main point is this isn’t HBCU exclusive. So it’s one thing to say “this school is so unprofessional” it’s another thing to say “HBCU’s are so unprofessional” which is what was said. Esp when PWI’s are doing the exact same thing right now.

Reactions: 7 users
Facts- my main point is this isn’t HBCU exclusive. So it’s one thing to say “this school is so unprofessional” it’s another thing to say “HBCU’s are so unprofessional” which is what was said. Esp when PWI’s are doing the exact same thing right now.
It’s also human nature I guess because there are only 4 hbcu med schools and hundreds of PWI’s and all 4 have ghosted me at different points and I assume a lot of people feel the same

Reactions: 8 users
It’s also human nature I guess because there are only 4 hbcu med schools and hundreds of PWI’s and all 4 have ghosted me at different points and I assume a lot of people feel the same
100% human nature and not to bring race into the conversation, but I know that we (referring to people of color) instinctively have this preconceived notion that “I’m applying to an HBCU and they’re eventually going to look out for me”. Hence why we tend to take it a bit more personal when we’re being ghosted by an HBCU, but also forgetting that those 4 programs can’t accept us all.

Reactions: 23 users
Hopefully interviews and acceptances roll out this last week and a half of february, heading into march 💛

ikr like wthhh no intevrview and its almost march
Exactly, feels like a standstill lol, but we all just need to have faith of a mustard seed. something will shake eventually. We will be classmates someway, somehow lol.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
It’s fine if they’re behind but I just want a status update or at least let us know the office is behind. Would it be the worst thing in the world to call?

Reactions: 4 users
It’s fine if they’re behind but I just want a status update or at least let us know the office is behind. Would it be the worst thing in the world to call?
bruh this school goes straight to voicemail because too many people been calling

I think someone earlier in the thread said something like they get 250 plus update letter emails a day, I can only imagine how many people are calling their number :rofl:

does anyone know if howard sends admissions decisions on fridays? i know they said they meet on thursdays so curious if we’ll be hearing back today

when the heck are we gonna get an interview. howard has been dragging one

Does anyone have info about Howard Med? Are the student happy? Do they feel supported? It seems like I can't find info anywhere!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have info about Howard Med? Are the student happy? Do they feel supported? It seems like I can't find info anywhere!
Current students seem happy. They say most of everything is great. Best thing I’ve heard the most: collaborative, family-like dynamic. Worst thing I’ve heard the most: administrative stuff can take a long time to be processed (I’m sure you can guess from this app cycle).
All in all I’ve heard mostly good things from the students.
For me personally it’s being around all shades of melanin and classmates/faculty that, more often than not, share the same goal of wanting to serve underserved populations.

Third year here at Howard. Hang in there yall. They can be a bit slow. If you have any questions, lmk

• Okay...
Third year here at Howard. Hang in there yall. They can be a bit slow. If you have any questions, lmk
any more interview slots left by chance?

Attachments

• IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
when the heck are we gonna hear about interviews. like come on now howard