2023-2024 Ponce (St. Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hoping we hear good news soon :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone had a pre ii R? If I have not received an ii by now am I done here?
Honestly, unsure. Might still have a chance but if not by March 1. I would reach out and say “hey just wondering the status of my application”:…. They should be able to answer that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure yet but most likely an east coast state school!
Just my state school, oh Medfunnnnnnnnn

tee hee GIF

• Haha
Like the first week if august. White coat ceremony is the last weekend of july. I Heard They were still accepting people off the wait list the first week of July or something.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 2/12, A on 2/26. Can anyone who goes to the school either pm me or answer how they feel about the school? Are there research options and where are the rotations? How is the curriculum and do you feel prepared for board exams? And I am concerned about the professors as this is a new program; are they all MD or DOs, I've heard there are chiropractors teaching here?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello, I interviewed 2/12 accepted today. I would also like to talk to any current students please PM ME!!!😊

Interviewed 2/12, A on 2/26. Can anyone who goes to the school either pm me or answer how they feel about the school? Are there research options and where are the rotations? How is the curriculum and do you feel prepared for board exams? And I am concerned about the professors as this is a new program; are they all MD or DOs, I've heard there are chiropractors teaching here?
There are a couple of current students earlier in the thread like pages 1-4. Go look through and dm them because they might not see this until later. ill look through the earlier ones and copy their names to you as well. But yes this is a newer school just location wise though their program has been around since the 1980s. The PR campus leveraged their license on this campus so this campus will likely have the same match rates and step pass rates as the main campus which are pretty consistent with all other LCME US MD schools. Truly, I wouldn't worry too much about the prep because small class sizes and they want us to succeed because after their first graduating class if the numbers look good they can expand and get state funding to upgrade campus and potentially change from private to public. Besides most of the step exams really fall on us for self study anyways and this is what I've heard from most of medical school friends now. I haven't heard of any chiropractors working there, but it wouldn't be uncommon for medical schools to have them for anatomy or any other classes related to the anatomy of body. My state school is UTHSC COM and they have chiropractors on staff, which again shouldn't be a big concern for you! MD or DO also doesn't matter if they are teachers both went through medical school and are more than qualified to teach us. I work with a couple of DOs at the orthopedic clinic I do research at and half the time they are a little more knowledgable of the body because of their extra courses in osteopathic medicine.

Hello, I interviewed 2/12 accepted today. I would also like to talk to any current students please PM ME!!!😊
ill copy the students to as well. I'm doing this for an earlier person in the thread! Also congratulations!!

• Love
Also congratulations!!

1. Yes we have visiting faculty that are physicians. We have physicians on staff too. It's easy to have connections with physicians if you make an effort even as early as first semester. Our dean has good connections with physicians in the St. Louis area and will help you if you want to target physicians from certain specialties.

2. I feel the courses are preparing me well as a M1. Most med students across the country use 3rd party sources to study for STEP anyways. We have metrics here at PHSU that predict how likely you will pass STEP.

3. We have Osmosis and might get UWorld soon. Our class did a group MedSchool Bootcamp and saved a lot of money for this year.

4. We have a student-run clinic in the works. We have a lot of office visits and standardized patient events built into the pre-clinical curriculum. Being in St. Louis is a big plus. There are numerous med related organizations and free clinics that are looking for volunteers. Also SLU and WashU are right next door and are open to collaborate with PHSU students. The location is ideal for a medical school, there is a big need with the patient population in the area.
@n7575

1. Yes we have visiting faculty that are physicians. We have physicians on staff too. It's easy to have connections with physicians if you make an effort even as early as first semester. Our dean has good connections with physicians in the St. Louis area and will help you if you want to target physicians from certain specialties.

2. I feel the courses are preparing me well as a M1. Most med students across the country use 3rd party sources to study for STEP anyways. We have metrics here at PHSU that predict how likely you will pass STEP.

3. We have Osmosis and might get UWorld soon. Our class did a group MedSchool Bootcamp and saved a lot of money for this year.

4. We have a student-run clinic in the works. We have a lot of office visits and standardized patient events built into the pre-clinical curriculum. Being in St. Louis is a big plus. There are numerous med related organizations and free clinics that are looking for volunteers. Also SLU and WashU are right next door and are open to collaborate with PHSU students. The location is ideal for a medical school, there is a big need with the patient population in the area.
@RN2Doc12

Regarding professors, this information may have been gotten from an M1, not sure who all is teaching them right now.

M2's currently have an MD teaching psych, an MD teaching path, an MD teaching pathophys, an MD teaching infectious disease, an MD teaching us intro to clinical skills and family med, and a PhD teaching pharm. The podiatrist hasn't really been involved in our M2 year, and the only thing she taught us last year was foot and ankle anatomy.
@n7575 @RN2Doc12

Current students:

CookieMonsta

koffeekween

@RN2Doc12

these are the current students I would message, but they've posted pretty heavily through the thread so may just be worth a read. The last @ is another accepted student! Good luck and hope this helps. I'm still interviewing so I could potentially see you guys in the fall but maybe not. Right now I plan on going but have a few interviews to get through! Good luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! When was your application complete by?

does anyone know if ponce accepts AP credit for behavioral sciences pre reqs. I saw that they require 6 credit of social sciences I did a lot of them in high school as APs. And only took psychology and theater (which I don’t think counts) in college. I was accepted in Feb but I just the the prereqs, and now I’m wondering if this is a condition that they will be strict on. Cause they did say it’s a “conditional acceptance”. Any help would be appreciated

does anyone know if ponce accepts AP credit for behavioral sciences pre reqs. I saw that they require 6 credit of social sciences I did a lot of them in high school as APs. And only took psychology and theater (which I don’t think counts) in college. I was accepted in Feb but I just the the prereqs, and now I’m wondering if this is a condition that they will be strict on. Cause they did say it’s a “conditional acceptance”. Any help would be appreciated
Congratulations on your acceptance. I dont know many instances of medical schools revoking an admission because they didnt do a prereq, especially when it is not mandated.

Within the studies of the degree all applicants are requested to have completed the following courses:

Requested reads a lot more differently than required.

Psychology is behavioral.
Are your APs reflected on your college transcript as actual classes?
At worst, you can find a class online or local community college to complete by the time you enroll in July if they mandate it.

Congratulations on your acceptance. I dont know many instances of medical schools revoking an admission because they didnt do a prereq, especially when it is not mandated.

Within the studies of the degree all applicants are requested to have completed the following courses:

Requested reads a lot more differently than required.

Psychology is behavioral.
Are your APs reflected on your college transcript as actual classes?
At worst, you can find a class online or local community college to complete by the time you enroll in July if they mandate it.
I had a class that was required that I hadn’t yet taken when I got accepted (Orgo II - I had taken Orgo I and Biochem and was trying to avoid Orgo II). When they accepted me they let me know that my acceptance was dependent upon me taking Orgo II over the summer. I did that and it wasn’t a problem. They should let you know if there are any classes that will be an issue and you’ll have the summer to correct it.

I had a class that was required that I hadn’t yet taken when I got accepted (Orgo II - I had taken Orgo I and Biochem and was trying to avoid Orgo II). When they accepted me they let me know that my acceptance was dependent upon me taking Orgo II over the summer. I did that and it wasn’t a problem. They should let you know if there are any classes that will be an issue and you’ll have the summer to correct it.
How long did it take to notify you after your acceptance?

Hi everyone, just wanted to clarify that PHSU as a whole is undergoing the LCME accreditation renewal process this year. We had mock LCME visits at the St. Louis and PR campuses recently and we got back positive feedback. Keep on eye out on that information as we get closer to the summer. Just wanted to let you all know if you haven't heard about it from anyone at the school yet.

For reference: Accredited U.S. Programs | LCME

Hi everyone, just wanted to clarify that PHSU as a whole is undergoing the LCME accreditation renewal process this year. We had mock LCME visits at the St. Louis and PR campuses recently and we got back positive feedback. Keep on eye out on that information as we get closer to the summer. Just wanted to let you all know if you haven't heard about it from anyone at the school yet.

Thank you for the update! So at the moment, they have not sent interview invites to MSMS grads/any other general applicants?

Is it possible for the full accreditation status to be revoked? If that happens would that impact the type of loans available?

Is it possible for the full accreditation status to be revoked? If that happens would that impact the type of loans available?
St Louis is using their Puerto Rico accreditation so that should not be a consideration. The primary school has been around a while and unless they have had issues, it is a routine process.

For reference: Accredited U.S. Program

No it’s not possible actually. You go on probation then have another visit to see if the things they told you are wrong have been fixed (next visit is like within a year or two). If they aren’t fixed you are liable to have accreditation revoked, but still highly unlikely. My state school was on probation for like 4 years. It never messes with student life and usually you don’t hear about it unless it’s something with classes they need to change or you are a new school I don’t think there’s ever been a school who has gained full accreditation that has had it revoked without being given a chance to fix the problem. There have been schools who don’t make it through the prelim phases, but if you get full accreditation they give you chances to fix your mistakes. All this is from this website just a quick over view of the question asked! Accreditation Process Overview | LCME

How long did it take to notify you after your acceptance?
I had actually asked about it preemptively (before being accepted), and I'm not convinced that they would have gotten back to me quickly if I hadn't been on top of it.

edit to say: I know I said they emailed me above, but I just went back and looked through my emails and it looks like I was actually the one to email them and ask about it. Sorry for the confusion.

Just to piggy back off what @derek dixon said above, no it would not be possible to lose accreditation after Aprils visit. If the school were to not meet all LCME requirements, they would be put on probation, which lasts for 2 years, where the school would be given the exact criteria that need to be improved and have 2 years to do so before they are reevaluated to assure that those shortcomings are fixed.

Schools go on probation quite often, though I don't think that will happen to us this year given the mock-LCME feedback. Also, there has not been a US medical school that has lost their accreditation since, I believe, the 70's. So shouldn't be an issue at all.

Just to piggy back off what @derek dixon said above, no it would not be possible to lose accreditation after Aprils visit. If the school were to not meet all LCME requirements, they would be put on probation, which lasts for 2 years, where the school would be given the exact criteria that need to be improved and have 2 years to do so before they are reevaluated to assure that those shortcomings are fixed.

Schools go on probation quite often, though I don't think that will happen to us this year given the mock-LCME feedback. Also, there has not been a US medical school that has lost their accreditation since, I believe, the 70's. So shouldn't be an issue at all.
Yep, thanks for that! Clarification from an actual student I'm sure helps a lot in the forum! You've been super responsive and we all appreciate that!

@CookieMonsta

Hey guys,

Random question when it comes to ranking within Ponce. Are we also compared to the PR campuses?? Like For instance, after your M1 year, would class rankings be considered for all campuses or are there different class rankings based on each specific campus??

@CookieMonsta

Hey guys,

Random question when it comes to ranking within Ponce. Are we also compared to the PR campuses?? Like For instance, after your M1 year, would class rankings be considered for all campuses or are there different class rankings based on each specific campus??
They give you info for both. So at the end of last year we all got emails with our rankings for our campus and for both campuses. We're technically a class of 180 (150 in PR, 30 in STL) so I think that's why they do that. My understanding is that for MSP/residency apps, they will use whichever number looks better for you, at least that's what we've been told.

An aside, we're working with the Dean of Student Affairs from main campus to do away with rankings on the MSP (unless a student wants it), so hopefully that will be coming down the line for future. But as of right now, it's rankings for both.

^^^ Good points

Does this also include putting our score for the course and overall class average on the MSP for pre-clinicals?