2023-2024 Ponce (St. Louis)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MSMS grad here with a pretty competitive application (finished 1st in my cohort with 4.0, substantial research and clinical experiences, also with strong ties to MO). Honestly, not trying to talk myself up or anything like that, just wanting to be transparent.

I’ve had two MD interviews and one acceptance from other schools this cycle and STILL haven’t heard anything from PHSU yet. I genuinely think they set MSMS applicants aside until after they’ve interviewed all non MSMS peeps.

Keep your chin up and keep doing things to strengthen your app in the meantime. If I’m not mistaken, PHSU accepts update letters. Maybe consider giving them a worthwhile update to show you’re interested.
4.0?! Dang. Congrats.

I definitely didn’t get that high…

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
MSMS students take the same core classes as M1s. If they do well, it’s a good indication to the school that they will be able to pass medical school classes. However, if they do poorly, it’s a great sign that they will fail out of medical school.

Our former president, Dr. Lenihan, has said that and an “ideal” world, the whole class would be made up of former MSMS. However, they haven’t had strong enough MSMS pool to justify that. You still have to do well in the MSMS to get in, and simply finishing the MSMS doesn’t mean you did great, and it doesn’t guarantee you a seat.
Yes we know this. i understand you have to do well in the program, thats like any other smp program. but like i said, you have multiple classes spanning across multiple campuses and yet less than half of an already small pool are of msms grads? Be fore real, that is not fair and I will never agree with only 1/3 aka 10 students of the msms program should be accepted .

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Just cuz you take some bull**** repair masters here makes you feel so entitled that you think you deserve entrance over more competitive applicants?
Why do you sound hostile?.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSMS grad here with a pretty competitive application (finished 1st in my cohort with 4.0, substantial research and clinical experiences, also with strong ties to MO). Honestly, not trying to talk myself up or anything like that, just wanting to be transparent.

I’ve had two MD interviews and one acceptance from other schools this cycle and STILL haven’t heard anything from PHSU yet. I genuinely think they set MSMS applicants aside until after they’ve interviewed all non MSMS peeps.

Keep your chin up and keep doing things to strengthen your app in the meantime. If I’m not mistaken, PHSU accepts update letters. Maybe consider giving them a worthwhile update to show you’re interested.
Yep, it's still way too early. There were kids in the current M1 class who got accepted in July :)

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Yes we know this. i understand you have to do well in the program, thats like any other smp program. but like i said, you have multiple classes spanning across multiple campuses and yet less than half of an already small pool are of msms grads? Be fore real, that is not fair and I will never agree with only 1/3 aka 10 students of the msms program should be accepted .
I fully see where you are coming from. However, I have to fully agree with DocSherman's comment that the point is the experience and to hopefully build strong relationships and connections with the PHSU faculty and build your application to show you are capable, ALONG with everything else. Not a get-in-free card. However, I understand the main campus' ratio is bigger, understandably, as they have a larger program and a program that's been around for much longer. I want to say the STL on-site MSMS has been around for just a few years before the MD expansion. I've also met MSMS students who want to do other health professions as well and not medicine, which is totally cool too. So not everyone is automatically turning around and applying to the MD program.

But being frank, you have to earn your place in medical school. If you don't have sufficient and relevant clinical experience to show your motivation to be a doctor and understand the work and responsibilities you'll one day have, you should not be applying. If you can't coherently demonstrate why you want to be a doctor, you should not be applying. If you don't have volunteer hours to show you are a compassionate person and want to help your community, you should not be applying. If you don't have extracurricular involvement showing you are a sociable person, you should not be applying.

They say your application gets you the interview, then the interview is what gets you the acceptance. If you have a "good-on-paper" application but totally mess up your interview, you can very well not get in no matter how good you look on paper.

Perfect and near-perfect MCAT scorers get rejected all the time because of lacking components of their app or their interview. Just because you got an "MSMS at PHSU," it does not mean you're above that same scrutiny.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I hope you and everyone else hear from PHSU very soon. I don't agree with their process of stringing this along to the end for the MSMS peeps--they should be interviewing in a mix as applications come in.

But this is VERY good advice. Definitely share update letters with the school as you continue to strengthen your application.

I fully see where you are coming from. However, I have to fully agree with DocSherman's comment that the point is the experience and to hopefully build strong relationships and connections with the PHSU faculty and build your application to show you are capable, ALONG with everything else. Not a get-in-free card. However, I understand the main campus' ratio is bigger, understandably, as they have a larger program and a program that's been around for much longer. I want to say the STL on-site MSMS has been around for just a few years before the MD expansion. I've also met MSMS students who want to do other health professions as well and not medicine, which is totally cool too. So not everyone is automatically turning around and applying to the MD program.

But being frank, you have to earn your place in medical school. If you don't have sufficient and relevant clinical experience to show your motivation to be a doctor and understand the work and responsibilities you'll one day have, you should not be applying. If you can't coherently demonstrate why you want to be a doctor, you should not be applying. If you don't have volunteer hours to show you are a compassionate person and want to help your community, you should not be applying. If you don't have extracurricular involvement showing you are a sociable person, you should not be applying.

They say your application gets you the interview, then the interview is what gets you the acceptance. If you have a "good-on-paper" application but totally mess up your interview, you can very well not get in no matter how good you look on paper.

Perfect and near-perfect MCAT scorers get rejected all the time because of lacking components of their app or their interview. Just because you got an "MSMS at PHSU," it does not mean you're above that same scrutiny.
This is also true, I never have felt that just because someone went to the school mean they automatically need to be accepted. However, I will call cap on what you said about the importance of clinical and volunteer. through the network of people at the school (students former students faculty) I know for a fact there are individuals in there who only had stellar scores and nothing else. To be honest you just never know what they look for, and hope you are what they want at that certain time.

This is also true, I never have felt that just because someone went to the school mean they automatically need to be accepted. However, I will call cap on what you said about the importance of clinical and volunteer. through the network of people at the school (students former students faculty) I know for a fact there are individuals in there who only had stellar scores and nothing else. To be honest you just never know what they look for, and hope you are what they want at that certain time.
Stellar scores can make up for a multitude of sins. Most people didn't do the MSMS because they left undergrad will stellar scores, so there has to be something else to make up for that (I.e. lots of clinical experience, research, etc). And yes, being at the right place at the right time and the right people liking your application.

Reactions: 1 users
I was contacted after my interview and they asked for a rec letter from undergraduate teacher. Im four years removed from college I've been doing clinical research the past two years and teaching my first two years out of college. I took summer classes to get a rec letter for classroom setting from my anatomy professor so I thought that would be sufficient.

Anyone have something missing after the interview? And do we think that's going to delay the decision?? It's weird because I feel like they made a decision on the STL admissions side then the STL office called me and said "the main campus" is requesting this rec letter so just a little confused. Not really looking for advice just sharing kind of an interesting story. Dont think this has happened to anyone else lol. I scrambled and found two teachers from my undergrad and the doctors I work with now are professors at my old university so it wasn't too big a deal, but just very random.

I was contacted after my interview and they asked for a rec letter from undergraduate teacher. Im four years removed from college I've been doing clinical research the past two years and teaching my first two years out of college. I took summer classes to get a rec letter for classroom setting from my anatomy professor so I thought that would be sufficient.

Anyone have something missing after the interview? And do we think that's going to delay the decision?? It's weird because I feel like they made a decision on the STL admissions side then the STL office called me and said "the main campus" is requesting this rec letter so just a little confused. Not really looking for advice just sharing kind of an interesting story. Dont think this has happened to anyone else lol. I scrambled and found two teachers from my undergrad and the doctors I work with now are professors at my old university so it wasn't too big a deal, but just very random.
When I was applying last cycle, admissions told me I was missing a couple of transcripts a few weeks after my interview. I know for sure I submitted them earlier lol. It didn't affect my decision but found it weird.

When I was applying last cycle, admissions told me I was missing a couple of transcripts a few weeks after my interview. I know for sure I submitted them earlier lol. It didn't affect my decision but found it weird.
lol yeah I actually called them today because I saw the transcripts email as well, but they said it didn't need to do it until I was accepted lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

I interviewed on 1/29 and got “conditionally accepted” 2 days later! The conditional acceptance was because they supposedly hadn’t received my official transcripts. Once I sent the transcripts I got my formal acceptance letter the next day

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on 1/29 and got “conditionally accepted” 2 days later! The conditional acceptance was because they supposedly hadn’t received my official transcripts. Once I sent the transcripts I got my formal acceptance letter the next day
Just Accepted Today. Interviewed 1/29

Congrats!!! Did you receive an email or was available to you via portal?
I actually received a call from the admissions office ( because I was missing something they needed, stated earlier in the thread). She said we are updating the status of your portal. I went on there and saw that I was accepted. I'm waiting to hear back from FSU so I will accept after I get there decision!

Does anyone know how full is their upcoming class?
Hard to say they leave 10 spots for their masters program students and 20 spots are left for out of state and in state students to fill so no idea really. There have been I think 6 people accepted in this thread including me, but no idea how many people plan on going. I plan on going but waiting to here back from FSU. All these numbers I got from previous comments in the thread.

Hard to say they leave 10 spots for their masters program students and 20 spots are left for out of state and in state students to fill so no idea really. There have been I think 6 people accepted in this thread including me, but no idea how many people plan on going. I plan on going but waiting to here back from FSU. All these numbers I got from previous comments in the thread.
they usually give out more than 30 acceptances because they know some people may go to other schools. I think most schools do this.

they usually give out more than 30 acceptances because they know some people may go to other schools. I think most schools do this.
This is correct, but he asked how full the class was. Assuming that he was asking about how many people have accepted and plan to go there and youre right its usually common knowledge that most schools do that.

Is it exactly 10 spots or is just an approximate and could also be more? I couldn't find this information online.

Once we are able to gather more A students, I would love to have a GroupMe/Discord for us to connect! I’m in a few for admitted students at other schools and think it’s a cool way to see your potential classmates

Reactions: 4 users
Any accepted students heard any communication after??? Sent my transcripts and emailed admissions to make sure they got them and they said yes, but my portal hadn’t been updated.