2023-2024 Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you applying to the EnMEd program? That's the only one that will allow application through AMCAS, and this should allow AMCAS letter service.
Applicants to regular MD use the TMDSAS application, and letters can be uploaded directly by the writer (after you list their name/email in the TMDSAS application) or by delivery from Interfolio.
I am applying to EnMed which is why I applied thru AMCAS but there is no option to send my letters in. Like the place u select what letters go to what school doesn’t exist for A&M. Anyone apply thru AMCAS and get their letters sent?

Members don't see this ad.

are you a reapplicant? I received this text too wihtout any emails , and I logged into my portal from last year and my secondary and submission was there.
No I'm not a reapplicant

I am applying to EnMed which is why I applied thru AMCAS but there is no option to send my letters in. Like the place u select what letters go to what school doesn’t exist for A&M. Anyone apply thru AMCAS and get their letters sent?
Running into the same issue, might give them a call tomorrow and ask about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Running into the same issue, might give them a call tomorrow and ask about it
Thanks, @15lbBeardofBees
The contact email for EnMed admissions is: [email protected]

The EnMed page suggests that you may need to send transcripts at the time of application as well (the TMDSAS MD programs do not require this). EnMed Application Process
One more thing: The interviews for EnMed are in person, in Houston.

If you learn the answers to the questions about letters and transcripts, could you share here please? :hattip:

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't yet received a secondary from Texas A&M even though I applied when the TMDSAS submission opened and my app was transmitted more than a week ago. Did I get screened out? I am a reapplicant. I am also not getting secondaries from other schools that have already sent them out.... I've checked my spam
I’m in the exact same position. Last year I received a secondary right after submitting TMDSAS. However this year i’m still waiting even though I submitted my primary with a higher MCAT scores

Hello friends, TAMU just sent an email about secondary's. Please recheck your emails.

Reactions: 1 users
Does Texas A&M offer fee waivers for AAMC FAP recipients? Last cycle they never responded to me asking for a waiver.

For AMCAS ENMED applicants, their reply mentions that when the applications are received from AMCAS, info is sent to log into their application portal and LORs can be uploaded there. The transcripts are received as part of the AMCAS application and don't need to be sent separately, to my understanding. Hope that helps clarify things :)

Does Texas A&M offer fee waivers for AAMC FAP recipients? Last cycle they never responded to me asking for a waiver.
I went through the same thing but someone said above that it was a pretty lengthy process comparatively but they did get it.

I'm so poor.. Literally got $150 to my name. most schools waived fees for me bc I am AAMC FAP recipient. Considering not submitting my secondary sigh. these schools love to talk about serving the underserved but refuse to waive secondary fees to people who can't afford them.

I did not receive an email. Can you let us know what it said?
It said your basic welcome and that they received my application. Also inviting to fill out secondary. Check your spam email. I'm sure its there.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the third question, how do y'all feel about talking about restructuring my commitments due to financial difficulty because I had to take a job my junior year? I'm just asking because the job ended up being one of my MME's so I'm a little worried about the "not previously mentioned" part. I'll still write about other things I did to address this as well of course, but I'm curious as to how this might be interpreted.

Thanks, @yearofmagicalthinking
I want to comment that the A&M deans DO NOT see that final question as optional and would be really puzzled if there are "NO" areas of medicine that currently interest you. I believe there is a sample list of types of practice affiliated with this question.

Is question #3 about possible hardships required, or optional?
What does "Area of medicine" mean?
Is it specialty (neurology, cardiology etc) , or is this like Baylor list (Clinical Research, Healthcare/disparities/medically underserved communities, Academic Medicine, Community Health, Simulation in medical education, etc)

Does anyone know what the EnMed secondary prompt(s) is/are?
All are 250 words.

How did you hear about the EnMed program?
How will the Engineering Medicine program meet your career goals and aspirations in ways that a traditional MD program would not?
List the knowledge and skills you have participated in outside the classroom, then describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies.
List the knowledge and skills you have acquired inside the classroom, then describe how these have prepared you to create innovative medical technologies.
At the end of your career, what do you want to have accomplished in order to consider yourself successful?

are you a reapplicant? I received this text too wihtout any emails , and I logged into my portal from last year and my secondary and submission was there.
this happened to me too! I'm not a reapplicant. I got the text on a Friday and didn't get the email with the secondary until Tuesday. I think it just is delayed

Multicultulturalism is a difficult topic to understand since it keeps evolving but people assume it means someone different from how you identify yourself. it is definitely questionable to assume homelessness as a culture as opposed some people who got here from poorer countries who might currently be poor but do come from a specific culture.

Would I be able to discuss working with people with disabilities? Not sure if this is technically considered in "multiculturalism"

Would I be able to discuss working with people with disabilities? Not sure if this is technically considered in "multiculturalism"
Let us say if your parents/you come from another non-european country, everyone here you dealt with is of a different culture. If you are caucasian and the people with the disabilities happen to be Filipino you dealt with multiculturism.

The best example of multi culturism that I can give you is to see Gran Torino movie or read a synopsis of it so you understand what the school is aiming for here.

What does "Area of medicine" mean?
Is it specialty (neurology, cardiology etc) , or is this like Baylor list (Clinical Research, Healthcare/disparities/medically underserved communities, Academic Medicine, Community Health, Simulation in medical education, etc)
Honestly I feel like it could be either. I said the specialty I'm interested in and why especially because I mentioned it in one of the other essays, but working in primary care with medically underserved communities is a focus that's just as valid if you don't know exactly what specialty you're interested in yet (FM, IM, etc.). I feel like as long as you frame it in the right way and write well, it'll be fine either way even if you don't have a specific specialty you're interested in yet.

For the multicultural prompt I discussed my time in the service industry and how it exposed me to different cultures regularly. Learned about their backgrounds, diets etc

Nothing too profound but honest experience and exposure to people of different cultures.

For the multicultural prompt I discussed my time in the service industry and how it exposed me to different cultures regularly. Learned about their backgrounds, diets etc

Nothing too profound but honest experience and exposure to people of different cultures.
Sounds perfect. They want to know how you get along with people who dont look, speak, grewup in similar environment as you.

Everything in the portal is done except for receving letters of recommendation. Just waiting on them to be processed through TMDSAS. Should I just submit it now? Or wait until the letters arrive?

Everything in the portal is done except for receving letters of recommendation. Just waiting on them to be processed through TMDSAS. Should I just submit it now? Or wait until the letters arrive?
Submit when you are ready, TMDSAS might have your letters but takes 2-3 weeks to process them in

Will I still be able to utilize the "document upload" for updates?
I believe you would send any updates via email in the future, but see what the instructions are on the A&M portal.

What can I / could I / should I update after submitting my secondary application?
1. If you haven't graduated from college yet, go to the TMDSAS portal at the end of each
semester and enter your new course numbers and grades for that semester. TMDSAS sends those out right away to all your schools.
2. Read each school's policy on updates. Some schools will tell you straight up, "we don't accept any letters or updates past the secondary." UTSW and TCU are two that come to mind.
(clarifying here: they don't accept letters and updates from you, the applicant. They still do take letters of recommendation that come in)
3. Don't send anything while waiting to see if they want to interview you, unless you win a Fulbright scholarship or get a research paper published (not submitted) to a journal. Yes it's a long wait. Yes it could be 6 months after you submitted your secondary.
4. Especially don't write and ask "are you going to interview me?" It's like asking your dad from the back seat of the car "are we there yet?" Did Dad like that? Nope.
5. An update is not your chance to write new essays. It's a chance to tell the school of any substantial changes since you submitted your application.

Last edited:
For AMCAS ENMED applicants, their reply mentions that when the applications are received from AMCAS, info is sent to log into their application portal and LORs can be uploaded there. The transcripts are received as part of the AMCAS application and don't need to be sent separately, to my understanding. Hope that helps clarify things :)
Where do LoR's get uploaded? I'm looking at the application portal and have no clue where they would even go?

Also its saying my CASPER hasnt been received even though on Acuity Insights it says results delivered and that I sent them to A&M. Anyone have anything like this happen to them?? Kinda bugging cuz I want this app done quick since im already kind of behind cuz of AMCAS...

Where do LoR's get uploaded? I'm looking at the application portal and have no clue where they would even go?

Also its saying my CASPER hasnt been received even though on Acuity Insights it says results delivered and that I sent them to A&M. Anyone have anything like this happen to them?? Kinda bugging cuz I want this app done quick since im already kind of behind cuz of AMCAS...
Your letters will come from your AMCAS or TMDSAS application, whichever system you used to apply to EnMed.
Panic not

Your letters will come from your AMCAS or TMDSAS application, whichever system you used to apply to EnMed.
Panic not
Thank you, I just realized that you can add letter to A&M now thru AMCAS. Do you have any ideas why my CASPer may not be showing?

Current student here - happy to answer some questions as they arise during the cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
I have classmates that did poorly, and I also did not get a top score, so I don't think you need to worry about it. Just do your best

• Love
@medstudent13579 and @Dr.MaddiGuddi thanks for offering to answer our questions :)

Do ya'll know how much a&m cares about CASPER in the admissions process?
I got first quartile and prematched here lol.
@medstudent13579 and @Dr.MaddiGuddi what is the campus culture like? are people social/collaborative? do you like where the campus is or do you get bored?
Pretty social and collaborative. I like college station its close to everything and there is still a lot to do in town, but you only have to spend one year in College Station if its not your cup of tea because of the campus selection system which was a big plus for me.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
@medstudent13579 and @Dr.MaddiGuddi what is the campus culture like? are people social/collaborative? do you like where the campus is or do you get bored?
Speaking for the EnMed program at the TMC campus, it is a lovely building right in the medical center, tons of great food and activities nearby! Very close to Rice Village, and the building is right on the metro rail which can take you to museum district/parks, midtown, or downtown. The culture is very collaborative at EnMed, everyone is very friendly/willing to help. The smaller cohort makes it much easier to be friends with almost everyone in your class!

Yea pretty much what @medstudent13579 said. I enjoyed my time at BCS, but not so much where I would want to stay back for all 4 years haha. I think students are collaborative and we get a lot of help from upperclassmen as well, with student led exam reviews, free tutoring services, and peers drop their anki decks or study notes on Google Drive. Additionally, since we are completely pass/fail now and dont have any ranking system in place for pre-clerkship, it helps ease the load off of students.

When the ENMED essays ask me to list my skills are they literally looking for a list or would an essay elaborating on skills suffice?

for the question asking to describe circumstances of hardship: i very briefly talked about my academic struggles in undergrad (only because I wanted to relate it back to my SMP), would it be bad to delve deeper into it here? the question specifically says to talk about something not mentioned in your primary application but im not sure what else to talk about and really like what I've drafted up so far for it

I received a text message saying my app was transmitted and to check email for secondary, but I can't find email. Any suggestions of where it may be? Yes I checked spam
this happened to me too - i ended up getting the email for it 3 days later. i meant to call admissions about it but i was so busy with my other secondaries that i got the email before i had the chance to.

hey guys! regarding the adversity secondary--i know folks have already talked a good bit about it but I have a question.
I have one main "adversity" in my life, which I mentioned briefly in my primary (part of reason for medicine) and expanded on in the optional essay briefly (used it as context/beginning for why I helped found a club related to adversity/other ppl on campus with this adversity). the last thing I want to do is be disingenuous and elevate a nontraumatic/less serious experience to adversity status, because this both just feels incredibly wrong but also would probably come off as pretentious or privileged. im very grateful to have had a pretty privileged life overall

any advice? I was thinking of writing a separate essay on how I coped, but it would probably stand out since a bit of my narrative is centered around this experience as a turning point for me. what if I acknowledge it at the end, like "I have mentioned this experience in my primary application essays, but I believe it is my only significant adversity." or something like that? i don't want them to think im careless

hey guys! regarding the adversity secondary--i know folks have already talked a good bit about it but I have a question.
I have one main "adversity" in my life, which I mentioned briefly in my primary (part of reason for medicine) and expanded on in the optional essay briefly (used it as context/beginning for why I helped found a club related to adversity/other ppl on campus with this adversity). the last thing I want to do is be disingenuous and elevate a nontraumatic/less serious experience to adversity status, because this both just feels incredibly wrong but also would probably come off as pretentious or privileged. im very grateful to have had a pretty privileged life overall

any advice? I was thinking of writing a separate essay on how I coped, but it would probably stand out since a bit of my narrative is centered around this experience as a turning point for me. what if I acknowledge it at the end, like "I have mentioned this experience in my primary application essays, but I believe it is my only significant adversity." or something like that? i don't want them to think im careless
Adversity ≠ trauma. Everyone has faced adversity in some form, reflect on your experience during undergrad a little deeper. I would steer clear of writing more about something you've already addressed multiple times.

Adversity ≠ trauma. Everyone has faced adversity in some form, reflect on your experience during undergrad a little deeper. I would steer clear of writing more about something you've already addressed multiple times.
Okay, thanks for the feedback.

@bruh_moment_
I agree with don't just keep repeating yourself over essays (it's okay to have some overlap--if you mentioned something in passing in essay 1, it's okay to make that the main theme of essay 2) but don't overthink it and convince yourself not to write about something because it's "not enough" adversity. No one is comparing your story of adversity to another's and saying, "applicant A has experienced more adversity than applicant B". No one cares about the exact circumstances. What's important--and what you are judged on--is what you took from the experience.

Do y'all know if a&M's interview format is traditional or MMI, or where I can find this info