2023-2024 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any idea if McGovern is sending more interviews? Or is it safe to say that ship has sailed?

I’ve got a couple of friends who aren’t on here that are curious

Members don't see this ad.

Any idea if McGovern is sending more interviews? Or is it safe to say that ship has sailed?

I’ve got a couple of friends who aren’t on here that are curious
According to last year, there was one more batch of II’s sent Jan 3rd. There may be more but that was the last one reported here on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
According to last year, there was one more batch of II’s sent Jan 3rd. There may be more but that was the last one reported here on SDN.
And that seems a bit late for this year seeing as our cycle is roughly a month shorter, but we shall see

Members don't see this ad :)
so they said prematches going out this week in a previous interview…but nothing 🙃

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Went to the tour yesterday and was told at least one more pre match round.

Prematched this morning! IS interviewed 9/15

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I PREMATCHED!!! IM CRYING IM DONE! THEY WERE BASICALLY MY TOP CHOICE

Info for everyone: IS and interviewed 9/29

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone with their pre-matches! McGovern is very picky with them.

congrats all did you get them at the same time or are they rolling out today?

Has any OOS heard anything at all?

Also wondering. Due to low number of OOS interviewed and even lower number accepted, it’s possible that there just aren’t any that have been accepted that are active on SDN

Also wondering. Due to low number of OOS interviewed and even lower number accepted, it’s possible that there just aren’t any that have been accepted that are active on SDN
This wouldn't surprise me, one of the schools I interviewed at confirmed they sent out prematches and nobody on SDN posted anything. SDN is a pretty small sample size

Congratulations! Glad you got in since McGovern really likes people who are in love with them!
If I am in love with McGovern, should I send a letter of intent? I am ranking them #1 but I am wondering if a letter might better portray my enthusiasm about the school ?

If I am in love with McGovern, should I send a letter of intent? I am ranking them #1 but I am wondering if a letter might better portray my enthusiasm about the school ?
Not texasvandy but McGovern said they don’t look at letters of intent for their list until you (if you are) waitlisted. I called because I also almost sent one and they said it would only be for you mentally because their list is done!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
If anyone knows of a groupme or facebook group or something for co2028 please PM me :)

did you get a prematch offer today?
yes- IS prematch offer recieved 11 EST, interviewed early October! super happy I was preparing for another gap year and this was my dream school for 2 years : ' )

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
For those who pre-matched, did you get a call later in the day?

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out how to rank my school and I was hoping to crowdsource some information about the school. I know the curriculum is Honors, High Pass, Pass, Below Pass, Fail with the first semester being only Pass/Fail. What are some other things that you guys have picked up?

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out how to rank my school and I was hoping to crowdsource some information about the school. I know the curriculum is Honors, High Pass, Pass, Below Pass, Fail with the first semester being only Pass/Fail. What are some other things that you guys have picked up?
What is the weightage given in overall ranking to preclinicals vs clinicals in class ranking.

does anyone know how we join the waitlist for the UT HSC affordable housing? the website seems to reflect last year's still and says that it closes in January but don't see anything for this next cycle

They don’t do class rankings from what I understand
Everyone does. only the process differs outside of AOA and GHHA. In order to decide AOA or GHHA, they have to know who the top 6th of the class is.

Your MSPE will give you an overall rank or how you did class by class (P/F with or without a grade) and rotation by rotation.

They have to give rotation grade and where each student fared during that rotation (honors, high pass etc and percentages given those ranks) or an overall grade for all rotations.

if we're OOS and didn't get the A here yet, does that mean we're officially not accepted?
You could get an offer any time between now and June. Unless you get a rejection notice as an OOS candidate and you have already interviewed, you’re still eligible.
Even though OOS applicants don’t participate in the TMDSAS match, there will be no new interviews after February.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
if we're OOS and didn't get the A here yet, does that mean we're officially not accepted?
It depends on how many they have already accepted. OOS is limited to 23 people and McGovern usually does not overadmit OOS, will wait for withdrawals if they have already filled the quota to offer to others in OOS.

Plus all the other rules and timelines that @wysdoc posted above.

does anyone know how we join the waitlist for the UT HSC affordable housing? the website seems to reflect last year's still and says that it closes in January but don't see anything for this next cycle
at the tour the dean said it opens january and you have to show a letter of acceptance!

can confirm the other responses, I emailed and they said to check the website Jan. 12th and it'll be open, just have to provide proof of acceptance

yall think prematches are over till next year?

Definitely, the school is closed till after the new year. McGovern isn’t very prematch heavy from what I’ve gathered on this year’s forums as well as previous years. We won’t likely hear anything else till match day if you’re in-state.

IMG_5084.png

Might be a sign that no more IIs

This is probably a silly question, but even if we don't prematch, the school could still rank us in that #1 tier of students correct? Because for schools that are not prematch heavy I am assuming that is how the majority of students match if the student also ranked the school in their #1 spot. Or, does every student that a school plans on ranking in their top group get a prematch? Additionally, if I rank a school #2 and they rank me in their #2 group, we would match right? I've watched the TMDSAS video that explains match day but I wanted to make sure I understand it fully.

This is probably a silly question, but even if we don't prematch, the school could still rank us in that #1 tier of students correct? Because for schools that are not prematch heavy I am assuming that is how the majority of students match if the student also ranked the school in their #1 spot. Or, does every student that a school plans on ranking in their top group get a prematch? Additionally, if I rank a school #2 and they rank me in their #2 group, we would match right? I've watched the TMDSAS video that explains match day but I wanted to make sure I understand it fully.
For example, if a school interviews 850 they would rank the interviewees from 1-850 and submit that. Then the match algorithm uses the schools rankings and what the student submits to match them at their highest ranked program possible. The schools don’t rank a bunch of people 1 and 2 if that makes sense. TMDSAS has a good youtube vid explaining this

Yes you can still match without having a prematch offer.
As far as the school’s side of it, they don’t really have a group 1 and group 2 as in your example. They will make a list of the students they would like to see at their school, probably needing to make a list not just 1 to 230 if that’s their class size, but maybe 1 to 330. Some of their favorite students might not rank them highly, even some of their prematch offer students could rank another school higher.