2023-2024 West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 West Virginia University Secondary Essay Prompts (150 word limit each)

1. Why do you want to attend WVU SoM? How did you first hear about WVU SoM, and why do you feel you would be a good fit?

2. Describe a time when you worked closely and successfully with another person who had a background different from your own.

3. How do you see yourself serving the state of West Virgina if accepted?

4. Which one of the AAMC Interpersonal or Intrapersonal Core Competencies is your strongest, and why? How will this competency enhance your ability to be an outstanding physician?

5. What is your life motto, and why?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
West Virginia University Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This year's prompts:

1. Why do you want to attend WVU SoM? How did you first hear about WVU SoM, and why do you feel you would be a good fit?
2. Describe a time when you worked closely and successfully with another person who had a background different from your own.
3. How do you see yourself serving the state of West Virgina if accepted?
4. Which one of the AAMC Interpersonal or Intrapersonal Core Competencies is your strongest, and why? How will this competency enhance your ability to be an outstanding physician?
5. What is your life motto, and why?

Max 150 words

@wysdoc

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received this morning

Does anybody know if West Virginia "yield protects"? I'm out of state and from the western US. I really was interested in West Virginia for a handful of good reasons. I got a 520 and think that might be why I haven't got a secondary yet. Is that a possibility or do I just need to be patient?

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 7/1, and I am not sure about Casper but my score was in.

Oh welp, just got the email. II waitlist. Completed 7/2.

I just got an interview invite with a 524, so I don't think so!
Way to just shut down my justification for myself:) Dang, I am from a rural background and felt that was a theme from my app. WV was really the only school I have ever reached out to. Hope they still send something my way.

Way to just shut down my justification for myself:) Dang, I am from a rural background and felt that was a theme from my app. WV was really the only school I have ever reached out to. Hope they still send something my way.
Haha.

Last edited:
wow so does this school offer interviews before other schools?

OOS II, completed 7/3, 520/4.0, worked in West VA for a bit, and lived on the border. Other than that some rural medicine sprinkled in.

OOS ii waitlist... feels like a soft rejection

Reactions: 1 users
OOS II, completed 7/4. border state resident. 519 mcat. 3.71

Last edited by a moderator:
II this morning!! OOS, 3.9/509, ties to state, rural mission, completed 7/5.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like they are reviewing according to complete date?

I got waitlisted. I saw the average MCAT was a 509. My MCAT is a little above that and all my extracurriculars are decent. What would the reason for this be, and do I have a realistic chance to get an interview? Im OOS

I got waitlisted. I saw the average MCAT was a 509. My MCAT is a little above that and all my extracurriculars are decent. What would the reason for this be, and do I have a realistic chance to get an interview? Im OOS
So many different possible reasons we can’t determine. Some schools are looking for specific kinds of applicants. I also got interview waitlist

WV website says they send secondaries out to everyone with a verified AMCAS application. I still haven’t gotten one. At what point should I email them?

II today! IS, 3.9/504, decent extracurriculars.

Reactions: 4 users
WV website says they send secondaries out to everyone with a verified AMCAS application. I still haven’t gotten one. At what point should I email them?
Have you gotten it yet? I'm OOS (no ties, not rural), verified today and received a secondary as soon as AMCAS emailed me that I was verified.