2024-2025 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS applicant - Secondary (just a fee) received! 😊

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when interviews begin rolling out for this school?

OMS 1 here! Feel free to ask questions. Best of luck everyone!
Hi! First off thank you for being open to answering questions I appreciate it! I was wondering when you submitted secondaries last year and what month you interviewed in. Also what made you choose UNECOM over any other potential acceptances you had? Thank you, and hope your enjoying year 1!

Hi! First off thank you for being open to answering questions I appreciate it! I was wondering when you submitted secondaries last year and what month you interviewed in. Also what made you choose UNECOM over any other potential acceptances you had? Thank you, and hope your enjoying year 1!
Paid my secondary fee late november/early december, interviewed march and was waitlisted until may. Everyone at UNE is super welcoming, very kind and caring. I also am from the Northeast and this school is closer to home which was a big selling point (plus, who doesn't like being on the beach?). UNE is one of the best DO schools and has consistently strong match lists. If you want to go to a medical school where you can skip lectures freely, this is not the place. I am someone who needs more structure and UNE provides that, so the mandatory attendance does not bother me much.

OMS 1 here! Feel free to ask questions. Best of luck everyone!
Do you know how possible it is to stay in the same city for all 4 years? I have two kids, which makes moving around all the time difficult. Trying to decide if I should apply here.

Do you know how possible it is to stay in the same city for all 4 years? I have two kids, which makes moving around all the time difficult. Trying to decide if I should apply here.
Years 1 and 2 you'll be in Portland. For 3rd year, there is a chance you can stay in Portland if you are placed in Maine Med for rotations, but it is extremely competitive to get since Maine Med is contracted with Tufts medical school. Chances are you will relocate somewhere else in New England/Mid-Atlantic area. Hubsites are listed on the website (though not completely updated). 4th year is your selective rotations, so those can be wherever you want. Usually people rotate at programs they hope to match at for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Years 1 and 2 you'll be in Portland. For 3rd year, there is a chance you can stay in Portland if you are placed in Maine Med for rotations, but it is extremely competitive to get since Maine Med is contracted with Tufts medical school. Chances are you will relocate somewhere else in New England/Mid-Atlantic area. Hubsites are listed on the website (though not completely updated). 4th year is your selective rotations, so those can be wherever you want. Usually people rotate at programs they hope to match at for residency.
Thanks for your response! When you say do 4th year wherever you want does that mean having to do rotations a lot of different places or do you know of people doing rotations all at the same hospital?

Thanks for your response! When you say do 4th year wherever you want does that mean having to do rotations a lot of different places or do you know of people doing rotations all at the same hospital?
Your 4th year is typically spent focusing on programs in the specialty you wish to pursue for residency, which will likely be across various hospitals as far away or close together as you wish. I myself am only a first year, but to me it doesn't seem feasible to spend my entire 4th year in one hospital since that's when I'm attempting to do my rotations in programs I hope to match in. That being said, same hospital is highly unlikely and may even be unfavorable for you as a match candidate, especially if you want a competitive specialty like optho or derm. Plan to rotate at various hospitals/clinics.

You can however find a metro area with multiple hospitals that you can rotate at if staying in one place is important to you, but nothing is guaranteed and there is always a level of uncertainty.

I've also heard from others that UNE may take your family situation into consideration as far as placing you for your 3rd year rotations, but I don't know how true that is. Email COM Recruitment to see how they'd be able to accommodate your situation.

Your 4th year is typically spent focusing on programs in the specialty you wish to pursue for residency, which will likely be across various hospitals as far away or close together as you wish. I myself am only a first year, but to me it doesn't seem feasible to spend my entire 4th year in one hospital since that's when I'm attempting to do my rotations in programs I hope to match in. That being said, same hospital is highly unlikely and may even be unfavorable for you as a match candidate, especially if you want a competitive specialty like optho or derm. Plan to rotate at various hospitals/clinics.

You can however find a metro area with multiple hospitals that you can rotate at if staying in one place is important to you, but nothing is guaranteed and there is always a level of uncertainty.

I've also heard from others that UNE may take your family situation into consideration as far as placing you for your 3rd year rotations, but I don't know how true that is. Email COM Recruitment to see how they'd be able to accommodate your situation.
Thank you, this was very helpful!

How long did it take you guys to get the secondary fee after you submitted?

How long did it take you guys to get the secondary fee after you submitted?
My app was verified on June 11 and I received the secondary fee email on June 13. It was still on the earlier side (I think) so that may explain the fairly quick turnaround time.

I received an email that my secondary fee was received and I’m ready to be moved to the next stage on 6/18

My app was verified 6/14

Who else got that 411 on 207 email… almost gave me a heart attack

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone heard anything since submitting the secondary fee?

Just making sure I'm not dumb... there is no portal right? I haven't heard anything since submitting the fee

looks like they dont start sending out stuff until late august/september, no need to worry(yet)

Reactions: 1 users
Thought that was going to be an interview invite 😪

I think y’all are reading a bit into it- I think it’s just a mass email that they send by getting emails somehow. Don’t think it’s a soft R at all

Reactions: 8 users
Newsletter email just now scared me lol

Reactions: 2 users
+1 II OOS. Outside of New England.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have an idea of what the post II acceptance rate here is?

If I may ask please when were you guys who got interviews complete

Also Congratulations!!

A day late in posting this! +1 II OOS, in New England with ties to Maine. Complete on 7/11