Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The meeting actually started at 4pm.I waited until now they never started it on my end.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The meeting actually started at 4pm.I waited until now they never started it on my end.
I addressed mine to the interview panel as a wholehow should one structure a thank you note though, since we don’t know our interviewer’s names and we had multiple?
+1I addressed mine to the interview panel as a whole
I submitted my secondaries 7/7!when did the recent IS interview invites submit their secondaries?
yeah, I see it too and im ORMDoes everyone's interview portal show an invitation to a special topics session for URM students? I am SES disadvantaged, but not URM, so wasn't sure if it just came up in everyone's portal or they had just added to mine
thank you, but unfortunately this server link doesn't work! has anyone made a group chat yet?I'm assuming there isn't one, so I just made it.
![]()
Discord - Group Chat That’s All Fun & Games
Discord is great for playing games and chilling with friends, or even building a worldwide community. Customize your own space to talk, play, and hang out.discord.gg
What date did you interview?+1 OOS WL. What is the waitlist movement like?
There was that person who said earlier that UMass is trying to be more OOS friendly. Who knows why as the new loan legislation changes mean more folks will be inclined to choose their in state option - especially for programs as strong as T.H. Chan. What can ya dongl feel like more IIs have been going to OOS than IS
Are you IS? Yeah, a lot of uncertainty right now in terms of finances. It's just frustrating since I know many IS applicants that have heard crickets but so many OOS IIs and As at this point.There was that person who said earlier that UMass is trying to be more OOS friendly. Who knows why as the new loan legislation changes mean more folks will be inclined to choose their in state option - especially for programs as strong as T.H. Chan. What can ya do
Yes, and interviewed about a month ago or so. And I agree - many of whom (myself included) would accept undoubtedly because it's the most affordable option and also just a great school at that. Not sure if they're trying to marginally bump prestige or really trying to hone in on the purest of mission fits but it is a confusing choice if true.Are you IS? Yeah, a lot of uncertainty right now in terms of finances. It's just frustrating since I know many IS applicants that have heard crickets but so many OOS IIs and As at this point.
Yeah definitely would like to know the answer to this if anyone has oneLEAD R just now... still considered for MD. Anyone know chances of an A to normal track and if its affected by the LEAD R?
I think it's the former. Imo mission fit is kind of a joke past service oriented vs research oriented schools. Most schools have both. I just feel that as the only IS school in MA, there should be a bit more of an inclination to interview and retain MA residents. Maybe I'm just salty hahaYes, and interviewed about a month ago or so. And I agree - many of whom (myself included) would accept undoubtedly because it's the most affordable option and also just a great school at that. Not sure if they're trying to marginally bump prestige or really trying to hone in on the purest of mission fits but it is a confusing choice if true.
please if anyone can respond lol, i can't find anything anywhereYeah definitely would like to know the answer to this if anyone has one
Hot take, but if schools are taking in state tax payer dollars to fund their program and their mission is to address the healthcare needs of their state/surrounding community there needs to be accountability to ensure IS applicants make up enough of the incoming class to actually address the needs of the state. When schools take more OOS applicants to get more money, these OOS applicants do not always stay to practice. One of the biggest predictors of where someone will practice is where they grew up, so more needs to be done to retain those applicants. Some schools are finally catching on (Iowa for example), but overall for most schools financial incentives may unintentionally outweigh the schools obligation to their own state. I get this is also an oversimplification in how adcoms build their class to balance diversity, prestige, etc, but current practices to address healthcare needs at the state and country wide level have done little to fix issues despite being around for 15+ years. Perhaps it is time to reevaluate strategies.I just feel that as the only IS school in MA, there should be a bit more of an inclination to interview and retain MA residents. Maybe I'm just salty haha
Hot take, but if schools are taking in state tax payer dollars to fund their program and their mission is to address the healthcare needs of their state/surrounding community there needs to be accountability to ensure IS applicants make up enough of the incoming class to actually address the needs of the state. When schools take more OOS applicants to get more money, these OOS applicants do not always stay to practice. One of the biggest predictors of where someone will practice is where they grew up, so more needs to be done to retain those applicants. Some schools are finally catching on (Iowa for example), but overall for most schools financial incentives may unintentionally outweigh the schools obligation to their own state. I get this is also an oversimplification in how adcoms build their class to balance diversity, prestige, etc, but current practices to address healthcare needs at the state and country wide level have done little to fix issues despite being around for 15+ years. Perhaps it is time to reevaluate strategies.
TL;DR, no you are not just being salty
That's truly unfortunate. UMass is our only IS school, and I understand that MA has an abundance of phenomenal applicants due to our public education system being the best in the country, Ivy League/top colleges, huge healthcare hubs, etc. I do agree that if we are paying state taxes that there should be significant preference to admit MA applicants, IS or OOS (because they only consider IS if you've been paying taxes for 7 consecutive years).First, congrats on your A. I've been rooting for you after seeing what youve been through
You make a great point about the need for applicants to stay IS to practice. I literally just lost my PCP because they are retiring and cannot find any doctor near me, in MA, who is accepting new patients. Where are all the UMass Chan graduates going?? This is the consequence of OOS love and the patients in-state like me are paying the price.
My prediction is that in 10-20 years, if the current trend continues, UMass will not be known as a state school any longer. It'll join the likes of the 4 other private schools in/around MA.
thank you, but unfortunately this server link doesn't work! has anyone made a group chat yet?
I'm so sorry to hear that! not to be that person but as someone who also interviewed in Dec, do you mind sharing when?OOS R, interviewed in December lol.
Ahhh congrats!!! When did you interview?+1 IS A plus PURCH!!! Just got the call, they said the email will come tomorrow
Thank you!! Interviewed for main campus on 11/14 and PURCH on 11/20Ahhh congrats!!! When did you interview?
I don’t think it’s too late, but the dean did say in the interview that letters of intent mean absolutely nothing to them, so I’m not too sure that’ll make a difference.Also an IS applicant here. Sent a letter of intent as it would be my top choice. Is it getting to late in the cycle for us or does anyone know of late success stories?
this isn't working for me!I'm assuming there isn't one, so I just made it.
![]()
Discord - Group Chat That’s All Fun & Games
Discord is great for playing games and chilling with friends, or even building a worldwide community. Customize your own space to talk, play, and hang out.discord.gg
I am not able to join either. I suggest someone make a GroupMe instead. I feel like it’s much more user friendly!this isn't working for me!
I don’t think it’s too late, but the dean did say in the interview that letters of intent mean absolutely nothing to them, so I’m not too sure that’ll make a difference.
I didn’t say they didn’t read them!! I think that she just meant to say that it isn’t really going to change their minds, and that they have a very rigorous selection process based on more substantial factors. Basically just that a letter of intent isn’t going to be something that makes or breaks your decision (which I honestly agree with).Hold up, that's crazy. Their portal states "You are welcome to upload any post-submission updates or letters of interest/intent that you have for UMass Chan Medical School" and they don't even read them?
congrats! Interview date? Track?+1 OOS A, 10 minutes ago!!
11/19 interview for UMass MD, got rejected from lahey 12/29.congrats! Interview date? Track?
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.