You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2025-2026 UC San Diego
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SilentCavalier
Full Member
+1 IS Interview Hold, submitted 7/31
docflavorz
Full Member
+ 1 IS Interview Hold, complete 8/1 😥
upliftcitrus
New Member
+1 IS Interview hold 🙁
Late update: +1 WL on 10/31.
Thanks for asking actually, I submitted 7/26... silence. Someone on Admit said I am cooked, but according to UCSD's website, I have it until end of November. If they don't H or R me, I still want to hope and so do you! LOLapologies for the neuroticism but if I submitted 8/12 (IS) and haven't heard back, is that a bad sign? their app confirmation email made it seem like they go chronologically and would send something, either an R/hold/II, after they reviewed my app and i've seen people around my submission date get IIs. ik its still kinda early to know but seeing people get As already is stressing me out lol
"If you have submitted your Secondary Application and are waiting to hear back about an interview:
As noted, depending on the time of year, it may take anywhere from 1 week to 4 months for your file to be reviewed. After the file has been reviewed, you will be notified of one of three possible decisions:- Invited to interview at the UC San Diego School of Medicine
- Placed "on hold" for an interview, with a possibility of being invited at a later date. Throughout the application season, candidates that were originally placed "on hold" may be invited to interview at UC San Diego. Interview scheduling typically runs through the end of February each year.
- Not invited to interview. Applicants not invited to interview will be notified via email that they are no longer under consideration. This notification can occur at any time in the application cycle."
babysloth123
Full Member
Sure! I am from California, for the record (LA area). I have had 12 interviews and think (perception may be different than reality LOL) they have all gone really well. My interviews at Kaiser, UCLA, UCSD (all of which I recently received an acceptance to) were good too, but didn't particularly "stand out" compared to the others. I haven't received any post-ii rejections yet, so holding out hope for the others. To answer your first question, I have always been a very extroverted person and have befriended people quickly my whole life! I think that quality was apparent throughout all my interviews and I always had my interviewers laughing at some point. Almost all of my interviews have ended with "we hope you choose us among your acceptances" or "let's grab coffee when you get in", but I am not sure if these are things they say to everyone? Anyways, just try to be as a laid back (but not too much) as possible and be your natural amazing self (always rolled my eyes when people say this, but it is TRUE). They are trying to gauge if you fit into their school; so, if you put on a facade, then maybe you won't actually fit in?...I noticed you getting acceptance at a lot of Cali schools… do you mind sharing advice on how you’ve been so successful in interviews? And do you have a top choice?
Also, do remember that the interview is just one part of this complicated puzzle that many of us will never fully be able to grasp. I do wish there was more transparency on the admissions side, but there is just too many of us applying, I think. To answer your second question, I really do not have a top choice at the moment...will come down to a combination of $$$, location, and doors opened/opportunities. My interviews at UCSF, Harvard, and Yale went pretty well...so we shall see!
babysloth123
Full Member
I thought the interview went pretty well. It was my 2nd MMI interview (my first was Kaiser), but this was more difficult in my opinion than Kaiser. I will say, I prepared a lot for the Kaiser one...so I felt ready for the UCSD one which was a couple of weeks after Kaiser. I read the UW bioethics page and practiced interjecting my life experiences (especially clinical ones) into my answers, which was helpful. In one of the MMI stations, I mentioned an experience working in a post-partum unit as a CNA with a mother who had lost her baby and my interviewer just happened to be a NICU attending (they complimented my answer) so that was cool -- you never know who can relate to your experiences, but if your answers can be informed by them, I think it makes it so much more powerful. That said, I felt like one of the stations did not go well, lol, but that was because the interviewer kept "hammering" me, which I felt was odd and unnecessary (the prompt was so odd), but I just rolled with it and did end up getting in, so there's that!Congrats on your acceptance! Can I ask how you felt your interview went?
Thank you for your transparency!! You’ll be a wonderful doctor and the schools see that 🙂 hope you get a great scholarship and in the best program.Sure! I am from California, for the record (LA area). I have had 12 interviews and think (perception may be different than reality LOL) they have all gone really well. My interviews at Kaiser, UCLA, UCSD (all of which I recently received an acceptance to) were good too, but didn't particularly "stand out" compared to the others. I haven't received any post-ii rejections yet, so holding out hope for the others. To answer your first question, I have always been a very extroverted person and have befriended people quickly my whole life! I think that quality was apparent throughout all my interviews and I always had my interviewers laughing at some point. Almost all of my interviews have ended with "we hope you choose us among your acceptances" or "let's grab coffee when you get in", but I am not sure if these are things they say to everyone? Anyways, just try to be as a laid back (but not too much) as possible and be your natural amazing self (always rolled my eyes when people say this, but it is TRUE). They are trying to gauge if you fit into their school; so, if you put on a facade, then maybe you won't actually fit in?...
Also, do remember that the interview is just one part of this complicated puzzle that many of us will never fully be able to grasp. I do wish there was more transparency on the admissions side, but there is just too many of us applying, I think. To answer your second question, I really do not have a top choice at the moment...will come down to a combination of $$$, location, and doors opened/opportunities. My interviews at UCSF, Harvard, and Yale went pretty well...so we shall see!
caffeinated_corgi
Full Member
After seeing all the holds from over the weekend I'm freaking out more because I submitted 8/2 IS and have heard nothing and UCSD is my top choice 😭😅
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
severelyburntout
Full Member
Nope nothing yet.anyone hear back from MSTP? haven’t seen any II’s from UCSD yet
mainfesting it for you. i hope you survive 😭 🙏After seeing all the holds from over the weekend I'm freaking out more because I submitted 8/2 IS and have heard nothing and UCSD is my top choice 😭😅
JPace24
Healthcare Finance Bro by Day, Applicant by Night.
I did not 🙁mainfesting it for you. i hope you survive 😭 🙏
angrydog123
Full Member
Is an interview hold a soft R here or is it truly a hold?
WestCoastMudkip
New Member
Those expecting results tomorrow should hear around 1-2ish!
meimain2k16
Full Member
IS post-II WL, LM 71. Bummed but expected
pemingtons
Full Member
Has anyone who submitted in September heard anything from UCSD?
Mugiwara Luffy
Full Member
+ 1 OOS II (LM 76, Complete 7/25)
ConfusedPreMed247
Full Member
+1 MSTP IS II
yooo finally they’re giving mstp ii+1 MSTP IS II
randal'thor
Full Member
interviewed Nov 6th and I literally cannot wait two more weeks for a decision (it's gonna be an R lol who am I kidding)
Anyone submitted aroun 8/12 hear back anything yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
juggernaut25
Full Member
8/14 and still patiently waiting🤞Anyone submitted aroun 8/12 hear back anything yet?
Same. 8/108/14 and still patiently waiting🤞
8/4 and still waiting !Anyone submitted aroun 8/12 hear back anything yet?
TheRagingNeuron123
Full Member
OOS ii!
supawoman87
Full Member
When did you submit? 🙂OOS ii!
On a weekend?!OOS ii!
TheRagingNeuron123
Full Member
When did you submit? 🙂
8/6!On a weekend?!
Also yea, I forgot it's a sunday lol, kinda odd tbh. Looks like some ppl on admit also got some today tho.
uglywesternblot
Full Member
+1 IS II hold with strong ties to SD county. Hoping I get a chance to interview since I was rejected last cycle, but I've made substantial changes to my application. Wish they accepted update letters : /
+1 IS II Hold
Rip
Rip
when did you submit?+1 IS II Hold
Rip
caffeinated_corgi
Full Member
+1 IS II Hold submitted 8/2 😭 is a II hold a soft R? I've been living in san Diego for 5 years and UCSD is my top choice
pemingtons
Full Member
Following, or early SeptemberDid any of you guys on hold submit after mid August?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
following, i submitted 8/23 so im nervous!!Following, or early September
astillbe907
Full Member
I'm about a week before you, nervously waiting! I wonder if they're all going out at once or trickling in. goodluck to you!following, i submitted 8/23 so im nervous!!
manifesting II for both of us!! fingers crossedI'm about a week before you, nervously waiting! I wonder if they're all going out at once or trickling in. goodluck to you!
winnersunite
Full Member
the hold hurts so much </3
its essentially an R right? any experience of people getting off hold?
its essentially an R right? any experience of people getting off hold?
pemingtons
Full Member
It's a soft R yeah 🙁 sorry to hear thisthe hold hurts so much </3
its essentially an R right? any experience of people getting off hold?