2025-2026 UC Irvine

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

do they screen people or are just slow sending out secondaries? if so what screening criteria?
they screen! you can see info about the screening (or lack thereof) for each school if you look up "msar secondaries". theres a free document from aamc that details the process for each school. its hard to tell what specific screening criteria there is though. likely a mix of state ties, mission fit, and stats
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it just me or is the image they use on their portal AI generated? the shadows are all wonky. lol
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2025-08-07 131342.png
    Screenshot 2025-08-07 131342.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 201
+1 IS, Is anyone writing a whole essay for the "Have demonstrated the potential to work with under-resourced communities" question?
 
@jffyx _net Is this an essay question on the secondary? Are there any others not listed on the first post of this UC Irvine thread?
Thank you
Yes, this one pops up (no character limit); as does a gap year one if you indicate you've taken a gap year (1500 characters)
 
Does anyone know how strict they are about prerequisite requirements and/or have any advice? I’m filling in the courses, but the website says "All prerequisite courses must be lecture-based. Any laboratory, seminar and research-based courses will not be accepted towards the fulfillment of the prerequisite requirements" but for bio and chem I would be one course short if I didn't add my lab courses. The lab courses technically had a lecture, but since they're indicated to be lab courses in the course number I'm not sure they would count? My other bio classes all fall in the other non-acceptable categories they list 🙁 MD Programs Admissions > Admission Requirements | UC Irvine School of Medicine
 
Last edited:
out of curiosity how heavily does uci screen compared to ucla? got IS secondary yesterday!
Seemingly much more! I got my UCSD, UCLA, and Davis apps within 2 days of verification as a NorCal resident. No Irvine yet despite 518/3.99!

Editing to include I also very quickly received the UCSF secondary invite.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone else not get a secondary yet? i was verified first week of july, in-state resident.. 🥲
Seems like everyone who has gotten a secondary were verified very early on (either late in May or June). I haven't heard anyone being verified early in July receiving a secondary though. I wouldn't worry. It seems like they are moving very slowly and are viewing the applications in the order they were received. When people start posting that they received a secondary and were verified around the same time as you, then you can start to reasonably worry, lol. it will all be okay!
 
Seems like everyone who has gotten a secondary were verified very early on (either late in May or June). I haven't heard anyone being verified early in July receiving a secondary though. I wouldn't worry. It seems like they are moving very slowly and are viewing the applications in the order they were received. When people start posting that they received a secondary and were verified around the same time as you, then you can start to reasonably worry, lol. it will all be okay!
Verified mid-June, received secondary - mid last week
 
Last edited:
Seems like everyone who has gotten a secondary were verified very early on (either late in May or June). I haven't heard anyone being verified early in July receiving a secondary though. I wouldn't worry. It seems like they are moving very slowly and are viewing the applications in the order they were received. When people start posting that they received a secondary and were verified around the same time as you, then you can start to reasonably worry, lol. it will all be okay!
i just got an email with my secondary haha! looks like all is good. thank u for this message i appreciate it 🙂
 
IS (NorCal) MD, LM 75
App verified and transmitted on 7/8/25
No secondary received yet!

UC Irvine... I really, really, really, really, really, really like you /
And I want you, do you want me, do you want me, too?
+1 IS MD 2°
Secondary received on 8/12/25
Verified & app transmitted on 7/8/25

Happy happy happy clam!!!
 
For the activities section, both of my major employments fall under either research or clinical experience. Should I just repeat the same activity twice for the employment history? It wont let me continue without adding something in the employment box.
 
Are people repeating their primary application activities in this secondary? Or just adding new ones?
I'm repeating the most important ones I had. So not all 15 of mine but I also added an extra school activity I did not include on my primary bc/ I needed to put something there as my other school activities fell more under the clinical and research categories. I would not include all 15 though bc/ it says that this will serve as a summary of your activities most important to you, implying it should be shorter than your primary app? at least that's how I interpreted it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the pre-requisites, my biology courses are quarters, but are you putting the semester hours from AMCAS app? Or number of units from the course itself? (3.0 units for quarter vs 2.7 for semester) ?
I am putting the semester hours from AMCAS app
 
for the employment section. Do they want us to double up? Like lets say i work as an MA, do they want me to put the MA position in the Clinical area AND the Employment area. Or just the clinical area
 
for the employment section. Do they want us to double up? Like lets say i work as an MA, do they want me to put the MA position in the Clinical area AND the Employment area. Or just the clinical area
I feel like they mean non-clinical/research employment here. I am not putting my research job under employment. IMO this is meant for jobs like working at a grocery store/restaurant/office etc.
 
for the "3. Have you ever had difficulty accessing quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this impacted you and others in your community. (1500 characters)" question, are we only supposed to answer it if we have had difficulty, or do we still need to answer it if we haven't?
 
for the "3. Have you ever had difficulty accessing quality education or healthcare? If so, please describe how this impacted you and others in your community. (1500 characters)" question, are we only supposed to answer it if we have had difficulty, or do we still need to answer it if we haven't?
Only if you have had difficulty
 
just want to clarify so i don't overshoot my hours - in the activities section, when they say: "how many total research hours will you estimate to have had (include university-based research, lab assistant, clinical research*, preparing manuscript, etc.)," does university-based mean time spent in laboratory classes?
 
just want to clarify so i don't overshoot my hours - in the activities section, when they say: "how many total research hours will you estimate to have had (include university-based research, lab assistant, clinical research*, preparing manuscript, etc.)," does university-based mean time spent in laboratory classes?
Typically that just means wet lab work at a university, it does not count lab classes of which you received credit.
 
just want to clarify so i don't overshoot my hours - in the activities section, when they say: "how many total research hours will you estimate to have had (include university-based research, lab assistant, clinical research*, preparing manuscript, etc.)," does university-based mean time spent in laboratory classes?
I interpreted university-based research as working in a research lab at a university, not including time spent in lab classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why? (1500 characters)
for this question, is it okay if we write about something more personally meaningful vs like physical accomplishments like research or awards? it feels more authentic to write about personal things, but im not sure if adcoms is expecting like an academic/research/extracurricular thing here
 
for this question, is it okay if we write about something more personally meaningful vs like physical accomplishments like research or awards? it feels more authentic to write about personal things, but im not sure if adcoms is expecting like an academic/research/extracurricular thing here
I wrote about something personal, and connected it to an extracurricular activity I was involved in (that was motivated by the personal event).