2025-2026 UTMB (Sealy)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The 2030 entering class is the one that will have big changes, many of which do not show up on the linked PDF as it is just the calendar for 2026-2027 (a one-year snapshot in time for all four classes), not the full curriculum. So some significant changes the 2030s will have:
1. Longitudinal anatomy class (and possibly no more dissections, because keeping a cadaver in good shape for 18 months is not really feasible)
2. 18-month preclerkship phase (previously 22-month)
3. Our biochem/cell bio class is now combined with our immuno/micro class
4. Renal and cardio/pulm block is now combined
5. Preclerkship will end in December of second year
6. Dedicated starts in January
7. "Third year" rotations now start March of second year (previously used to be June)
Do most students find this change beneficial? And what is the new approach for anatomy if there is no dissection?
 
Do most students find this change beneficial? And what is the new approach for anatomy if there is no dissection?
I think most students don't have accurate bases to compare. We only know the curriculum we have, not the one you will have. Some people like it, some people dislike it. Personally, I like the idea of having more time to do aways and AIs. However, with most other schools who use this shortened preclerkship, they allow you to take Step 1 later so you have time to study. We do not; you have to take Step 1 before you can proceed to clerkships. The shorter curriculum also puts us out of sync for MS1 summer research programs nationwide. (But then again, we have never really synced up, unfortunately.)

We haven’t heard definitively the plan for anatomy. Possibly a combination of prosection and dissection? I would not make decisions on UTMB based on what may happen to cadaver lab as we’re still working out the details.
 
Do you guys think UTMB will have multiple waves this month for interviews? or will it just be around one more this month and one more the next before ending
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know UTMB has waited until December for pre-match the past two years. Has anyone heard what they are planning to do this year?
 
Based off the past two year's forums, I would expect it to come out around December 12th or 13th (after their first preview day) but that is just a hunch
 
I think it has always said that but the last 2 years they changed it to be december without updating the application timeline
I can confirm that the timeline used to say December-January before they changed it this year to October (which is also why its located further down in the December section of the timeline). It's a new change so hopefully it reflects when they send out prematches but I guess we'll just have to wait and see
 
At my interview orientation today they said they’re going to start sending out pre-matches “slightly earlier” this year, so maybe mid November?
I'm thinking the same. Mid-late November. They mentioned students who interviewed this month are not too late to be considered for pre-match.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats!!! which interview dates are available (month)?
there were only 3 dates in early/early mid-November as of this afternoon. Not sure if I could only see 2 weeks out because that's all that's left, or just because you can only schedule 2 weeks out 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for those more experienced than me. My admission offer says that I have two weeks to accept it. If I accept it, am I locked into going there or is it still subject to change? UTMB is one of my top choices but obviously I would like to wait until I hear back from some other schools before really making a final decision.
 
Question for those more experienced than me. My admission offer says that I have two weeks to accept it. If I accept it, am I locked into going there or is it still subject to change? UTMB is one of my top choices but obviously I would like to wait until I hear back from some other schools before really making a final decision.
I'm just parroting what I've seen @wysdoc say, but yes, accept the offer. You will still go through the Match process and could potentially match to another school if you have it ranked higher.
 
Question for those more experienced than me. My admission offer says that I have two weeks to accept it. If I accept it, am I locked into going there or is it still subject to change? UTMB is one of my top choices but obviously I would like to wait until I hear back from some other schools before really making a final decision.
Yes, accept it now. Since you are an OOS applicant you will follow the same rules as you do for AMCAS schools to narrow down multiple offers to one by the end of April.
 
IS, Interviewed late August and no A🙁 do y'all think they are sending pre-matches in waves? Also, if not pre-matched, are there still good chances of hearing back on match day? Or are they super pre-match heavy?
 
IS, Interviewed late August and no A🙁 do y'all think they are sending pre-matches in waves? Also, if not pre-matched, are there still good chances of hearing back on match day? Or are they super pre-match heavy?
I think more will come out when they have finished all their interviews, late December or early January.
Yesterday were the first offers I heard of.
 
I think more will come out when they have finished all their interviews, late December or early January.
Yesterday were the first offers I heard of.
Just noticed UTMB As. So they have changed the policy of waiting until end of interviews?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I saw that someone who interviewed on September 3rd received a prematch (congrats btw!). I also interviewed that day, do you think that means all the prematches for September 3rd interviewees have already been sent out?
 
Anyone know if prematches will be sent out weekly? Any ideas about how they might be sent this year?
I very much doubt admissions offers will happen every week. The main kinds of questions I can't help you with are ones that involve predicting the future.
UTMB has invited a bunch of new applicants for interviews this week, and will need time to have meetings & discuss new candidates, compare them to previous candidates, etc. We have been informed that the last interview date will be Dec 18 2025, and that gives them time to review the whole pool before your match ranking deadline.
Let's see how it plays out this year.