You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2025-2026 Virginia Commonwealth (VCU)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It says college level algebra or higher. I used a semester of Calc and a semester of Stat.Is the math requirement strict. Can statistics replace it?
giornosdad
New Member
For the work/volunteerism part, I do have some volunteering in a clinical setting (pretty much clerical work) but I don't have any experience where I had direct contact with patients without physician supervision. Should I leave it blank?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed the adcoms and they said statistics would be finenot sure, but I put Biostatistics in to fulfill the requirement, and I hope that's ok
Yes I emailed them about course prerequisites and they responded after a few daysDo they reply to emails? I was going to email to ask them about something but I wasn't sure if they reply quickly
Holdupwaitaminuteyeayeaye
Full Member
I see thanks!Yes I emailed them about course prerequisites and they responded after a few days
I just recently got my secondary(like last Friday or Saturday) and had some Qs about the biostatisics but also was wondering about the thing that says no outside help.
thank you for verifying!!I emailed the adcoms and they said statistics would be fine
futuredoctor242222
New Member
I got a C+ in Organic Chemistry II my sophomore year. My overall GPA that semester was a 3.66 and I graduated with a 3.81. I didn't get any other grades below B+. Should I write about this in the poor grades question? I don't feel the need to but don't want them to see it as a red flag if I don't address it.
I didn't write about my single C+.I got a C+ in Organic Chemistry II my sophomore year. My overall GPA that semester was a 3.66 and I graduated with a 3.81. I didn't get any other grades below B+. Should I write about this in the poor grades question? I don't feel the need to but don't want them to see it as a red flag if I don't address it.
~4 dayswhat is the average time it took for you OOS folks to get this secondary after receiving the email? 4 weeks?
This is an open ended question, but does anyone know why VCU is asking people to distinguish physician observation and clinical work? Do they have a preference for one or the other? It doesn't really change my answers, but I was curious if anyone had any insight because I've never seen any other school do it.
ninstonbiller
Full Member
as a reapplicant, I think its new for this year like I don't remember it from last cycleThis is an open ended question, but does anyone know why VCU is asking people to distinguish physician observation and clinical work? Do they have a preference for one or the other? It doesn't really change my answers, but I was curious if anyone had any insight because I've never seen any other school do it.
Physician observation you really aren’t doing anything clinical with very little patient interaction. Almost all interactions are with the physician. Clinical work is the opposite which is why they want applicants to distinguish between the two.This is an open ended question, but does anyone know why VCU is asking people to distinguish physician observation and clinical work? Do they have a preference for one or the other? It doesn't really change my answers, but I was curious if anyone had any insight because I've never seen any other school do it.
icouldntthinkofanything
Full Member
Someone asked this before but I'm still confused -- are we listing or kinda elaborating on the clinical/shadow experiences? 250 ch doesn't really give room to elaborate but it feels so bland without it
I just wrote sentences. "I shadowed XYZ doctor in XYZ specialty for 100 hours and saw XYZ. I assisted physicians with XYZ things during visits for 200 hours at XYZ clinic"Someone asked this before but I'm still confused -- are we listing or kinda elaborating on the clinical/shadow experiences? 250 ch doesn't really give room to elaborate but it feels so bland without it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
icouldntthinkofanything
Full Member
thanks for getting back so quick, I have follow up question. If I was predental for my first two years of college and spent the summers shadowing and doing dental stuff should I address that in the lapses in medical journey or leave it blank? it sounds like a "time off" prompt like other schools use, so it wasn't time off or a lapse exactly, I was just doing other non-medical stuff.I just wrote sentences. "I shadowed XYZ doctor in XYZ specialty for 100 hours and saw XYZ. I assisted physicians with XYZ things during visits for 200 hours at XYZ clinic"
In my opinion they gave the format they wanted: hours; descriptionI just wrote sentences. "I shadowed XYZ doctor in XYZ specialty for 100 hours and saw XYZ. I assisted physicians with XYZ things during visits for 200 hours at XYZ clinic"
So, for example, I wrote:
20; Internal Medicine (hospital setting)
I came very close to the character limit with both boxes so it is unclear to me how I could have elaborated.
I think that's fine, too! I really doubt they will be scrutinizing how people decide to use the space as long as everything is included.In my opinion they gave the format they wanted: hours; description
So, for example, I wrote:
20; Internal Medicine (hospital setting)
I came very close to the character limit with both boxes so it is unclear to me how I could have elaborated.
I am not an expert or adcom, but I wouldn't call this a lapse in your journey to medicine. Your journey to medicine started when you switched from pre-dental to pre-med, right? Have you taken years off between deciding to go to medical school and actually applying? I think that's what they are referencing.thanks for getting back so quick, I have follow up question. If I was predental for my first two years of college and spent the summers shadowing and doing dental stuff should I address that in the lapses in medical journey or leave it blank? it sounds like a "time off" prompt like other schools use, so it wasn't time off or a lapse exactly, I was just doing other non-medical stuff.
alicenewman
New Member
do you think i should explain my C+ in ochem lab?
doctor3214234
Full Member
OOS R
when did you complete the secondary?OOS R
doctor3214234
Full Member
7/7when did you complete the secondary?
D
deleted1211092
Does anyone know how to contact the VCU admissions office? I accidentally sent too many LORs through AMCAS and wanted to provide them with my preferred letters to review
If you send too many they will just decide which to readDoes anyone know how to contact the VCU admissions office? I accidentally sent too many LORs through AMCAS and wanted to provide them with my preferred letters to review
I would just e-mail them! I e-mailed them a question and they were very nice and responded quicklyDoes anyone know how to contact the VCU admissions office? I accidentally sent too many LORs through AMCAS and wanted to provide them with my preferred letters to review
D
deleted1211092
Could you please provide me with their email? I couldn't find it on their website. I would really appreciate it.I would just e-mail them! I e-mailed them a question and they were very nice and responded quickly
ninstonbiller
Full Member
[email protected]Could you please provide me with their email? I couldn't find it on their website. I would really appreciate it.
shahsamays
Full Member
Got an 'R' from VCU. Secondary submitted on 7/28. OOS.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1211092
How long did they take to respond? I emailed a few days ago but they haven't responded yet 😅I would just e-mail them! I e-mailed them a question and they were very nice and responded quickly
So mine weren't populating either, and then one day I got really frustrated and walked away for about 5 min and they were there. I think they just take a really long time to load. So if you are clicking into the coursework section and quickly clicking out after 10-15 sec when you see they aren't there, it could just be that they need time to load.Were people able to fix the classes populating problem. I have none in my box and have logged out refreshed multiple times, but nothing is working.
Finding it a bit hard to fit clinical and volunteering experiences in 250 characters, anyone else? How are people formatting it, because I don't have enough space to describe any of my activities.
futureobgyn2@24
Full Member
being so real, i don't think they're looking for descriptions. i think they're just looking to see if you have done a decent amount of hours in both categories. i formatted it as total number of hours and then a simple breakdown of those hours.Finding it a bit hard to fit clinical and volunteering experiences in 250 characters, anyone else? How are people formatting it, because I don't have enough space to describe any of my activities.
500 total hours
250 hours: cna
250 hours: scribe at so and so facility
tunafish0909
New Member
anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood of some IIs being sent out tomorrow? looks like last year they did that on the second Friday of the month.
I think last year there were a decent number of Sunday updates (II/R), so maybe we'll see something tomorrow!anyone have any thoughts on the likelihood of some IIs being sent out tomorrow? looks like last year they did that on the second Friday of the month.
utexasmedicineman
Full Member
OOS Pre Secondary Rejection 8/10
not_houseMD
Full Member
+1 OOS Secondary
Primary verified 7/29. Secondary received 7/30. Secondary submitted 7/31
Primary verified 7/29. Secondary received 7/30. Secondary submitted 7/31
iamcherryyy
Full Member
Hi everyone can I address MCAT retakes in the GPA or low grades section? Or should I not mention it because there is not a specific category for them?
Hi! I think that would be reasonable to address in this section, and in particular discussing an upward trend in your scores and what you learned in the process.Hi everyone can I address MCAT retakes in the GPA or low grades section? Or should I not mention it because there is not a specific category for them?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tunafish0909
New Member
Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted?OOS II!
letsgojets1
Full Member
OOS II! Submitted 07/04
Submitted 07/04 LM 75. Sorry! I should have included that in the previous message.Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted?
studyingformcatblah
Full Member
OOS II! submitted 7/01, LM 76