A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a little confused about how the second year works at ATSU-SOMA. Can someone kindly elaborate?
Thank you!
Year 1 is just like any other medical school, and is spent at the Mesa campus. Years 2-4, you are at one of 11 community health centers across the nation. So basically, you start having clinical experience a year earlier than any other medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Year 1 is just like any other medical school, and is spent at the Mesa campus. Years 2-4, you are at one of 11 community health centers across the nation. So basically, you start having clinical experience a year earlier than any other medical school.

Nice! But if we spend years 2 through 4 at Community Health Centers in different locations, how do we take classes that are taught during year 2? Do we take classes online during this 2nd year?

Nice! But if we spend years 2 through 4 at Community Health Centers in different locations, how do we take classes that are taught during year 2? Do we take classes online during this 2nd year?
You stay at one community health center location, like in Phoenix or Tuscon for example, so you don't move community health centers. As far as class during 2nd year, I'm actually not 100% sure but I don't think there are online classes. I think you do your classes at the CHC with the 9 other students that are there with you. Maybe a current student could answer that for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing on December 6th and will be driving down from Utah. Does anyone want to drive down with me and split the rental car costs? I will be leaving Thursday morning in hopes of making it to the evening social.

You stay at one community health center location, like in Phoenix or Tuscon for example, so you don't move community health centers. As far as class during 2nd year, I'm actually not 100% sure but I don't think there are online classes. I think you do your classes at the CHC with the 9 other students that are there with you. Maybe a current student could answer that for sure.

Classes are entire online second year.

got secondary today and my app was released yesterday. is that a good sign or do they send secondary to everyone who applies?

Im planning on taking the mcat jan 25th and applying right before the deadline. I think I'm going to get 30+ on the mcat and I have a 3.7... just curious though if any past students have ever gotten in applying this late?

Im planning on taking the mcat jan 25th and applying right before the deadline. I think I'm going to get 30+ on the mcat and I have a 3.7... just curious though if any past students have ever gotten in applying this late?

I technically completed my secondary in Nov. but a computer mishap caused ATSU to misplace it until mid February. They finally found it (I thought they'd silent rejected me), invited me for interview later that week, and I was accepted 1 week later.

got secondary today and my app was released yesterday. is that a good sign or do they send secondary to everyone who applies?
It is automatic as long as if you have a >2.8gpa
Most people have that, that is the only requirement for a secondary. They also interview tons of people. I think it is about 140 to 150 people they interview on the Friday and Saturday each week that they do interviews. I'm sure they have interviewed over a thousand applicants by this weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well somehow I managed to miss my flight....so it looks like I won't make the social tonight but hopefully I'll see you all at the interview tomorrow! ....hopefully....

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!

I technically completed my secondary in Nov. but a computer mishap caused ATSU to misplace it until mid February. They finally found it (I thought they'd silent rejected me), invited me for interview later that week, and I was accepted 1 week later.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I'm going to give it a shot, I think the school is amazing and I love Arizona. How do you like it so far? What CHC are you at?

cancelled my interview for Friday, 12.06. hoping one of you gets my spot. good luck!!! :)

Interviewed today and had an amazing experience starting yesterday with the social. Students, staff and faculty are friendly and welcoming and provide lots of insights and info. Impressed with program, curriculum, high tech set ups (too bad did not get to visit anatomy lab) and most importantly the school's HEART for serving the needy. Met several applicants of various backgrounds that I would be delighted to call classmates! Shout out to Nanoo!
Crossing fingers for phone call in December. Best to you all fellow applicants.

It is automatic as long as if you have a >2.8gpa
Most people have that, that is the only requirement for a secondary. They also interview tons of people. I think it is about 140 to 150 people they interview on the Friday and Saturday each week that they do interviews. I'm sure they have interviewed over a thousand applicants by this weekend.

thanks for the info. i got the email yesterday that stated my secondary app was processed. I logged in and used the confirmation number they sent me and all materials were received. Crossing my fingers now!

Which of the CHCs require you to travel the most? Are there any where your rotation sites are fairly close together?

Which of the CHCs require you to travel the most? Are there any where your rotation sites are fairly close together?

I can't speak for all the CHCs, but Brooklyn has very little traveling. The CHCs during the second year are close together. The longest ride we have via subway is 30-40 minutes. Rotations are done at Lutheran Medical Center, so you are in the hospital in Sunset Park for most rotations (unless you are at a clinic that is again, 30-40 minutes away). 4th year you will likely be traveling, as you do at all schools, because of audition rotations.

I think Portland has the most traveling of any CHC. They have rotations in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. Flagstaff, AZ also has 3 separate locations for rotations during the 3rd year, separated by a couple of hours. Students do not switch between the 3 locations though. After your second year at the central Flagstaff CHC, you chose one location to spend your rotations at.

Someone currently at one of the other CHCs would be better equipped to tell you about their experiences with traveling.

I just got an interview invite today! Will anyone be interviewing on Jan 31? I was thinking of going on Dec. 6, but that seems a little too soon...

I just got an interview invite today! Will anyone be interviewing on Jan 31? I was thinking of going on Dec. 6, but that seems a little too soon...

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your stats/ when you were complete for all of us still waiting?

Reactions: 1 user
What did most guys wear to the reception? Is a tie required for nice or a nice button down and chinos?

What did most guys wear to the reception? Is a tie required for nice or a nice button down and chinos?
When I went, I did business casual. Slacks, with a patterned button down shirt, dress shoes, no tie.

Just go business casual, that's the idea of the night before anyway...casual. The student ambassadors will be wearing polo shirts and khakis anyway.

Is waiting list long at this point in cycle? Those on it what are you planning to do if SOMA is your first choice? Any insights, advice on process to get accepted off of waiting list? TIA!

Is waiting list long at this point in cycle? Those on it what are you planning to do if SOMA is your first choice? Any insights, advice on process to get accepted off of waiting list? TIA!
You have to find out if the school ranks their waitlist. If they do, people at the first 3rd are likely to be taken off the waitlist... Call the school and ask them if there is anything you can do to be taken off the waitlist.... They probably will see that you are very interested in attending their school.

We're you put on a wait list or are you just waiting for your choice of CHC to open up. I was told that they expect half of their available seats to open up around Dec 14th.

Accepted!! Just got the phone call, also interviewed 11-22.
Congrats longhorn41592!

Reactions: 1 users
askjdfklsadjhjskdfh Just got the acceptance phone call. I almost died. Then cried. Interviewed 11/22. Best of luck for all of you still waiting.
Dr. Curitas I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted students you should join the Facebook group you'll probably get in your e-mails!

Congratulations!

Another round tonight/tomorrow I believe... good luck!

We're you put on a wait list or are you just waiting for your choice of CHC to open up. I was told that they expect half of their available seats to open up around Dec 14th.

Not on waitlist, just curious.

askjdfklsadjhjskdfh Just got the acceptance phone call. I almost died. Then cried. Interviewed 11/22. Best of luck for all of you still waiting.
Dr. Curitas I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Congrats and thanks Nanoo!!!

Accepted students you should join the Facebook group you'll probably get in your e-mails!

Congratulations!

Another round tonight/tomorrow I believe... good luck!

I've been looking, is there a facebook page? Can someone post it on here, because I can't find it

**and I couldn't find it on the email with the CHC survey or official acceptance package email

Merry Christmas!

I just respectfully declined my admission offer to ATSU-SOMA today in favor of WesternU-COMP.

Therefore, there is now a seat open in SOMA's DO 2018, and a spot open in the Phoenix (Surprise, AZ) CHC.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! SOMA is awesome, but not close to family.