A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am so nervous for this interview considering the MMI format or things. I have never experienced this type of interview and considering this is only my second interview, I am not sure how its going to go. I want an acceptance here as this is my home state and where I have been living most of my life. I seriously don't want to mess this up if I decide to stay in state. Anyone interviewing this Sat? I know you cannot disclose the information concerning the interviews but would I give for some insider information......

Good luck to all those interviewing.
Honestly, don't worry about it. SOMA's interview process was amazing. The faculty are so nice, and really made all the interviewees feel comfortable. Don't worry about the format of the interview at all...mine (and nearly everyone I heard from) went smoothly and naturally, even though nobody ever really knows what to expect.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an ii, but unfortunately it's in late January. Is that considered a very late interview for SOMA?

Got an ii, but unfortunately it's in late January. Is that considered a very late interview for SOMA?
When were you complete!? I haven't heard anything yet.
But in regards to your question, I have spoken to a few SOMA MS2s who told me that they interviewed in February.

When were you complete!? I haven't heard anything yet.
But in regards to your question, I have spoken to a few SOMA MS2s who told me that they interviewed in February.

Sorry should have mentioned. Says it was processed around Sept. 20th so a little over a month ago.

3.7/29/OOS. When were you complete? I'm sure it could take a bit longer.

Sorry should have mentioned. Says it was processed around Sept. 20th so a little over a month ago.

3.7/29/OOS. When were you complete? I'm sure it could take a bit longer.

Cool! Congrats on the interview invite!

I was complete Sept. 27th, so hopefully I hear something soon... But I never really got a "complete" email. They just said that they've received my supplemental, but the online secondary shows that they've got my LOR, MCAT, etc. Did you ever get an official "complete" email?

Cool! Congrats on the interview invite!

I was complete Sept. 27th, so hopefully I hear something soon... But I never really got a "complete" email. They just said that they've received my supplemental, but the online secondary shows that they've got my LOR, MCAT, etc. Did you ever get an official "complete" email?

I got a secondary confirmation and then an email a few days later that said "We have processed your secondary application and materials we have on file."

I got a secondary confirmation and then an email a few days later that said "We have processed your secondary application and materials we have on file."
Oh, got it! I received that as well. It was hiding in my junk mail.

Good luck! I'm hoping for some luck soon!

It's not terribly late. That being said, you may not immediately be placed into your first choice CHC, especially if it is a popular site. CHC matches are first come first serve when you get accepted.

It's not terribly late. That being said, you may not immediately be placed into your first choice CHC, especially if it is a popular site. CHC matches are first come first serve when you get accepted.
Which CHC sites tend to be the most popular? I also have a late January interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Which CHC sites tend to be the most popular? I also have a late January interview

As of last week, the Brooklyn and Phoenix CHCs are full. CA has one more spot left. But don't despair, there is apparently lots of movement because people choose other programs over ATSU. You choose your CHC preferences regardless of whether you decide to attend ATSU or not.

As of last week, the Brooklyn and Phoenix CHCs are full. CA has one more spot left. But don't despair, there is apparently lots of movement because people choose other programs over ATSU. You choose your CHC preferences regardless of whether you decide to attend ATSU or not.

first year here, yeah they can be initially full (there's only 10/site) but keep in mind that these change change drastically b/c ppl hold multiple acceptances. especially people who interview this early in the cycle will be holding many acceptances until december when deposits are officially due.

if u have any questions feel free to message. thanks goodluck :thumbup:

Just got the acceptance call. Now I really have to choose LECOM-SH, Touro-NV or here. Good luck to everyone else!

What questions should an interviewe be expected to answer?
What's the interview:admission ratio?
Any particular factors you feel may win you brownie points in the interview or Etc?

Just got my acceptance call! I'm gonna be a doc. :)

Also got my first choice CHC: Renton, WA

Stats: 3.48 sGPA and cGPA, 31 (10/11/10) MCAT
Interviewed: 10/19/13
Accepted: 10/28/13

ACCEPTED!!!! Got the call today! This school is definitely high on my list.

Stats? What was asked during the interview?
GPA 3.8 MCAT 26. There was a lot going on for this interview day. MMI, 2 panel interview, and file review. Know answers to the standard questions asked in an interview and they might ask you a couple questions that keep you on your toes as well. The MMI format was lots of fun. Goodluck!

I skimmed through the thread and couldn't find this so sorry if it has been asked. But are we only allowed to submit the two LOR's that we listed in the application? Or can I send along with the two I listed, an additional two LORs?
Thanks

I skimmed through the thread and couldn't find this so sorry if it has been asked. But are we only allowed to submit the two LOR's that we listed in the application? Or can I send along with the two I listed, an additional two LORs?
Thanks

I sent in 2 extra LORs and got a II.

Interview for Jan 31! I really want this school but I feel like it's soo far away! Is there anyway to move up if people cancel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted yesterday!! SO EXCITING!!

URM, 27 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, great ECs and great LORs.
Interviewed 10/19/2013 and accepted 10/28/2013

Interviewed 10/19 and....
Accepted 10/28!! Definitely my top choice school. :)

Last edited:
I've been holding off on submitting my secondary until I have letters "verifying" that I volunteered for the places that I listed. Is it unnecessary to worry about that right now?

Also, what have you done for volunteer efforts that aren't as easily "verifiable". For example, for years, I've been spending nearly 20 hours a week training and competing in triathlons to raise money for a charity. I have proof that I completed these races and that I raised money for the non-profit (e.g. fundraising tax forms, race results, etc.), but I don't necessarily have a contact at the charity that knows me well enough to vouch for the number of hours that I spend doing this. The people who can verify my hours are the people I train with, but they aren't affiliated with the charity. What would you do in such a case?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Quick question, I completed the primary application last year but failed to submit the secondary. I'm applying again this year will I be considered a re-applicant?

Here is a question for any current or future students. I chose my CHC site to be D.C. Why does this site appear to be unpopular. I suspect the urban setting will be quite rewarding. Is the increased cost of living that bad or are there other reasons why I should not have chosen this site?

Here is a question for any current or future students. I chose my CHC site to be D.C. Why does this site appear to be unpopular. I suspect the urban setting will be quite rewarding. Is the increased cost of living that bad or are there other reasons why I should not have chosen this site?
When I interviewed, I asked about the Washington, DC CHC. I was told the main drawbacks were the high cost and the high crime rate around the rotation sites. Also, this CHC is pretty new as one of the 11 CHC's affiliated with ATSU-SOMA.

When I interviewed, I asked about the Washington, DC CHC. I was told the main drawbacks were the high cost and the high crime rate around the rotation sites. Also, this CHC is pretty new as one of the 11 CHC's affiliated with ATSU-SOMA.

I can attest to this somewhat.

I felt like the interview day and style was pretty awkward and weird.

Either way, does anyone know how much each thing we did counts? Like is the main thing the interview?

It wasn't so bad.

Got to meet a bunch of cool people at the social on Thursday.

I would say a majority of it is Interview+GPA+MCAT. The MMI is probably just to see if you're a human being. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My interview was a little weird though. Less conversation and more questions about my application than I'm used to. Maybe a bad sign but who knows...

It wasn't so bad.

Got to meet a bunch of cool people at the social on Thursday.

I would say a majority of it is Interview+GPA+MCAT. The MMI is probably just to see if you're a human being. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My interview was a little weird though. Less conversation and more questions about my application than I'm used to. Maybe a bad sign but who knows...

Same, I think I messed up my interview questions a bit. I mean some of them were just out there.

Same, I think I messed up my interview questions a bit. I mean some of them were just out there.
Each interview scenario must differ depending which faculty are involved. My whole interview seemed to be very comfortable and conversational.

Each interview scenario must differ depending which faculty are involved. My whole interview seemed to be very comfortable and conversational.
Evidently it can be wildly different depending on who you get as an interviewer. Frankly I think it's bs and adds to the fact that the process is a giant crapshoot.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes so was mine. Standard interview questions, but they were smiling and conversing back to my responses. So it wasn't kind of laid back.

I've recently found out that I have to send the LORs to the KCOM address for SOMA. Am I correct? IF yes, does it mean they have the same committee to review the applications for both schools? I'm freaked out as I used the same essays for both:the questions are pretty close to each other. Anyone please !!

I've recently found out that I have to send the LORs to the KCOM address for SOMA. Am I correct? IF yes, does it mean they have the same committee to review the applications for both schools? I'm freaked out as I used the same essays for both:the questions are pretty close to each other. Anyone please !!
I used Interfolio, and it appeared to be two separate addresses. The adcom committees are certainly separate for ATSU-SOMA and KCOM.

First and foremost, I want to congratulate everyone for getting in to this amazing school.
I am new to this forum and had a couple questions about me, as an applicant.
I graduated with a social science major from the University of California, Berkeley and I am currently taking organic chemistry and biology at a community college. I currently have a 3.6o & a 3.4s GPA, however I have taken ALL my classes at a community college and I will be taking my MCAT earlier next year. If I do in fact take the MCAT and score a 26-27, will I even have a chance at this school? I am planning to apply in June of 2014 for Fall of 2015.
I really REALLY want to go to this school, it's been my dream for the last three years. Any suggestions?
Thanks so much, and I hope everyone is having a great day :)