A.T. Still University (ATSU-SOMA) Arizona Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is the part that frustrates me--I was very explicit in that I REALLY wanted to be at the school and loved the 1:3 system and want to work with the underserved. I have the experience volunteering at a CHC to back that up. It seemed that a lot of people didn't even know about the 1:3 system/CHCs walking into the interview. And then the people saying they're withdrawing their acceptances and spots on the alternate list just stings.

Don't worry, I'm aware that I'm coming off as bitter--I know this is just how med school admissions work and I'll get over it evenutally.

Don't worry about being a little bit bitter. It's ok to feel that way right after getting rejected from a school you really wanted to go to. This process will make people bitter. It's extremely personally challenging to be picked apart in the way that we are and to have to justify everything about ourselves and our mistakes. You will definitely get over it and be successful somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is the part that frustrates me--I was very explicit in that I REALLY wanted to be at the school and loved the 1:3 system and want to work with the underserved. I have the experience volunteering at a CHC to back that up. It seemed that a lot of people didn't even know about the 1:3 system/CHCs walking into the interview. And then the people saying they're withdrawing their acceptances and spots on the alternate list just stings.

Don't worry, I'm aware that I'm coming off as bitter--I know this is just how med school admissions work and I'll get over it evenutally.
If the student ambassadors were any indication - it seems like SOMA looks for a certain personality, a common "x-factor". I have interviewed at 4 schools now, and SOMA was the only school where I felt that common bond between the students.

My guess is the interview here is the most heavily weighted criteria for an acceptance/rejection - and interviews are unfortunately the most subjective criteria in this whole process.

Honestly, it does not matter if you feel like you are a strong match. You went through a very thorough process during interview day and they determined you were not a good fit. Your comments portray some sense of entitlement...

I'm sorry you were rejected. From what I noticed, you seem to have an difficulties all around and you haven't had much luck at any of the programs either, so mabye its an attitude issue. Better luck at other interviews

They seem more disappointed and a bit bitter more so than entitled. They just got rejected post interview from what seems like their top choice. Have a little empathy and lay off. Not worth arguing about this stuff on SDN.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not entitled at all and I'm not the best applicant ever. This process is super competitive and I worked by butt off the hardest I can to get where I am. I don't expect anything, but you have to admit this process is very frustrating. Don't misconstrue frustration of applicants with entitlement because that's wrong. I'm
All for self-improvement, have worked my butt seriously hard on interview skills and got them where they need to be the past year, and have a very positive attitude going into interviews and in general but being honest about this process and the frustrations is also real.
Imagine flying across the country to get rejected because an interviewer doesn't like you or misinterprets something you say. That's a realistic and more often than is acknowledged situation. There is a large amount of this process that is out of bards and when don't have control over and with the high costs involved frustration is natural.
Did you call to get feedback?

The interview skills weren't the issue in my case.

What do you think it could be? did you possibly screw up somewhere with the patient encounters or the "speed-dating" round? or maybe the group part? Keep ur head up mate!

Also guys, just to put things in perspective, SOMA has about 39 applicants PER SEAT... let that sink in for a minute. It's not a cakewalk as many people would like to think. That stat is straight from their website.

I'm interviewing here soon! Which hotel did everyone stay at? Did anyone use the hotel's shuttle service to the airport and school? I'm trying to decide whether it's cheaper to just rent a car or use the hotel's shuttle service. I'm currently under 25.

I think everyone needs to remember that at any school you interview at you are not guaranteed an acceptance and just thinking you will get one because you liked the school and thought you fit the mission doesn't mean anything. Sometimes the interviewer may not think you are a good match for the program, and that's the harsh reality. No one is guaranteed or entitled to an acceptance just because you were offered an interview. About half the people who interview end up getting accepted at SOMA. Sometimes you were just not within the half that the school preferred. Keep your chin up and continue applying to other programs.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone who was accepted last week receive the accepted email yet?

nope. still waiting :(
getting anxious lol
I don't think there is a reason to be anxious. They aren't going to take away your acceptance lol they said to give it a week! I was just curious

I think everyone needs to remember that at any school you interview at you are not guaranteed an acceptance and just thinking you will get one because you liked the school and thought you fit the mission doesn't mean anything. Sometimes the interviewer may not think you are a good match for the program, and that's the harsh reality. No one is guaranteed or entitled to an acceptance just because you were offered an interview. About half the people who interview end up getting accepted at SOMA. Sometimes you were just not within the half that the school preferred. Keep your chin up and continue applying to other programs.

@keels99 Is that really true? ATSU-SOMA is my number 1 choice and I am freaking out that they say 39 others compete for only 1 seat. I got 5 other interviews but already wait listed at 1 school. I am scared my nervousness will show through and I'll get rejected here. I have been practicing mock interviews like crazy but I still do not feel comfortable yet. Any words of advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
@keels99 Is that really true? ATSU-SOMA is my number 1 choice and I am freaking out that they say 39 others compete for only 1 seat. I got 5 other interviews but already wait listed at 1 school. I am scared my nervousness will show through and I'll get rejected here. I have been practicing mock interviews like crazy but I still do not feel comfortable yet. Any words of advice?
Just be yourself. You have to remember that not everyone accepted ends up taking the seat so it doesn't mean that only 1/39 are accepted but rather 39 people apply for each position. A lot of these people are screened out during the secondary then about half get accepted post interview. Not everyone accepted decides to go to SOMA. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.

Just canceled my interview here for next week. Hopefully it goes to one of you!!

Any current OMS at the Portland CHC that i could talk to? Just have a few questions about site and rotations :)

Reactions: 1 users
Any current OMS at the Portland CHC that i could talk to? Just have a few questions about site and rotations :)
I am a current first year, but I am assigned to the CA CHC. PM me and I will get you in touch with some one from the Portland CHC..

I still haven't heard anything whatsoever.. interviewed 9/18

Is any current student assigned to the SC CHC or know of someone who is that I can ask questions to? thanks!

I am a current first year, but I am assigned to the CA CHC. PM me and I will get you in touch with some one from the Portland CHC..

I will be entering next year but I also have the CA CHC assigned too! May I PM you questions about the site?

How large is the class? Anyone know the percentage of interviewed who get accepted?
I'm a current 1st year and there are 108 of us this year. Hope that helps :)

just received the acceptance email!

Acceptance email received.

Portland CHC it is!

Make sure you guys join the class facebook page, there's very few of us there right now. :whistle:

Actually if you call and get the right person, they will go over why you were rejected or waitlisted. Someone spent about 5 minutes telling me what I could have done to have been accepted...which really hurt to hear but it's information I will keep in mind for my future interviews.

It's a good school and I'm super bummed that I got waitlisted. My SO graduated from here and is actually interviewing at SEVERAL Ivy leagues for fellowship (also Cleveland clinic and Mayo) at the moment. So congrats to those who have been accepted! For those who have been rejected/waitlisted -- it sucks but there are other schools.

Do you mind telling us what they said? If you feel it is too personal, you don't have to.

In the "Clinical, Volunteer or Community Service" section of the secondary application, are the top 3 slots for clinical/shadowing experiences and the bottom 3 slots for non-clinical/non-shadowing?
Want to bring this question up again.
Put shadowing experience in the first half or second half?
1st half prompt: List verifiable volunteer clinic/health experience (for example at a community health center, IHS clinic, physician’s office, hospital, or something similar). Community health center and IHS experience must be verified by letter from the center.
2nd half prompt: List any other, specifically community-service-type, programs in which you have participated (if any). Any (principally non-medical) activity that is non-compensated and volunteer, other than observation/shadowing, is acceptable. Must be verifiable.

Also, for these experiences in the descriptions, would it be okay to include what I learned from the experience in addition to just describing it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Interviewing October 16th and have never set foot in Arizona. Anyone interviewing that weekend/live around there want to meet up at the social Friday/hang out after the interview Saturday? Message me!

Does anyone know if the interview ends earlier than 1:30 PM? The last flight out to the city I'm from leaves at 3:30 PM and I wanted to see if I'd be able to make it on time.

Congrats on all the acceptances!! :) What do you think you did during the interview that helped you the most with your acceptance?

Does anyone know if the interview ends earlier than 1:30 PM? The last flight out to the city I'm from leaves at 3:30 PM and I wanted to see if I'd be able to make it on time.

You'll make it =]

Does anyone have any advice for someone who made the alternate list? How much hope is there to get off the list and be offered a seat? I really fell in love with the school but I also want to try and be realistic.

Any recent II's? Looks like the last ones were on Sept. 24th.

Interview Invite just now! Does anyone know how to login?

Interview invite! Kind of nervous about all the details of interview day and the general consensus that they interview too many people....definitely super interested in this school and small class size though. Out of state, 3.88s 3.85c, 25. Scheduled interview for nov 6. To anyone that interviewed, im assuming it's open file and our scores still matter?? Can anyone shed some light

Interview invite! Kind of nervous about all the details of interview day and the general consensus that they interview too many people....definitely super interested in this school and small class size though. Out of state, 3.88s 3.85c, 25. Scheduled interview for nov 6. To anyone that interviewed, im assuming it's open file and our scores still matter?? Can anyone shed some light
No idea to be honest!! The whole day is jam packed with so much that I never even had a chance to think about that.

So the individual interview wi faculty is open file. My guy actually had my application pulled up on his computer and he was scrolling through it during the interview. He also knew it pretty well for the most part also. He did ask me about some of my classes and extracurriculars.

is the event Thursday evening formal? should we wear a suit?

So the individual interview wi faculty is open file. My guy actually had my application pulled up on his computer and he was scrolling through it during the interview. He also knew it pretty well for the most part also. He did ask me about some of my classes and extracurriculars.

So they asked you what you learned in a specific class? Just asking because I'm a nontrad and not sure if I remember everything about all my classes cause it's been a few years!