A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Perfect, thanks moonwake!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how Interfolio works? My letter-writer submitted her letter into Interfolio, but now what do I do with it?

Does anyone know how Interfolio works? My letter-writer submitted her letter into Interfolio, but now what do I do with it?

Let it sit there until a secondary asks for it. Once that happens, log in to interfolio, click start new delivery, enter key words from your school's name, since aacomas and interfolio are tied - I've found that all the osteopathic schools are listed, you might have to click on "see more results" if the 3 options shown do not include the school you need. Double check the state and town to make sure it's going to the right campus, click on the correct school, choose the writers name or which LOR is going, it will get added to a delivery, click continue, skim through the page to make sure all the LORs have been added, scroll farther down then click on "I want to add an id # to this, add or choose your aacomas id #, then click payment, fill out payment and you're done.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Let it sit there until a secondary asks for it. Once that happens, log in to interfolio, click start new delivery, enter key words from your school's name, since aacomas and interfolio are tied - I've found that all the osteopathic schools are listed, you might have to click on "see more results" if the 3 options shown do not include the school you need. Double check the state and town to make sure it's going to the right campus, click on the correct school, choose the writers name or which LOR is going, it will get added to a delivery, click continue, skim through the page to make sure all the LORs have been added, scroll farther down then click on "I want to add an id # to this, add or choose your aacomas id #, then click payment, fill out payment and you're done.
This. Interfolio is amazing.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! Makes much more sense now! :)

Question: my LOR from the DO I shadowed is included in my committee letter. Do I still need to list the DO letter in the secondary app and have the doc send it or is it good enough that it is included in the committee letter?

This is my opinion but I think a lot of it is kind of cut paste besides the essays of course. Congrats everyone! This is so exciting!!

I rephrased mine a bit, but I doubt it matters either way.

Does anyone know how many letters we can send in? I am confused about this. I want to send in my D.O. letter because, well, its D.O. However, I want to also send in 2 extra letters. Are we allowed to send in four letters?

I sent in five or six, I don't think it hurts to send more as long as they're good.

Applying here OOS from jersey. Good luck friends!!

On another note, this may be a dumb question but I just wanted to double check. As for the secondary with the "evaluations" part. As long as the evaluations were sent in via interfolio is that considered completed. Or will Kirksville send the listed writers an additional own personal form/letter to fill out which they'll have to mail back to Missouri. I'm assuming its the former but you never know with some of these schools and I just wanted to be able to warn my letter writers in advance if need be.

Thanks in advance!

I remember something about KCOM having their own eval form for writers--don't think I ever used it.

oh and, like abolt, I just finished first year so I'm also happy to field questions.

oh and, like abolt, I just finished first year so I'm also happy to field questions.

MCAT 24 (6P/10V/8B) 3.88cGPA, 3.97sGPA, 1500+ clinical hours, 500+ volunteer hours, ties to MO, and a pretty legit explanation for my low MCAT score and why I am not retaking. This is my top choice and I just wanted to know if I have a shot. I received a secondary and will be submitting later today.

MCAT 24 (6P/10V/8B) 3.88cGPA, 3.97sGPA, 1500+ clinical hours, 500+ volunteer hours, ties to MO, and a pretty legit explanation for my low MCAT score and why I am not retaking. This is my top choice and I just wanted to know if I have a shot. I received a secondary and will be submitting later today.
Where do you get the opportuntity to r
Explain the score?

I don't think you'll get auto-screened, but the 6P will hurt. If it were the verbal score, it would certainly be a non-issue.

I don't think you'll get auto-screened, but the 6P will hurt. If it were the verbal score, it would certainly be a non-issue.
Can you elaborate on the "will hurt" part. I just submitted my secondary so are we talkin interview or no interview?

Where do you get the opportuntity to r
Explain the score?

I integrated it into my personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
is kirksville relaxed about low verbal?

That's more of a generality of med schools. I see people get by with sub-7 verbal scores more than anything else.

Can you elaborate on the "will hurt" part. I just submitted my secondary so are we talkin interview or no interview?

I integrated it into my personal statement.
I wish I could! If I had to guess, looking at the rest of your app I wouldn't count you out.

How has your experience with the school been so far? And what is your favorite about the school?

How has your experience with the school been so far? And what is your favorite about the school?

I'd say it's been pretty good so far. Some minor frustrations but nothing our class couldn't handle, and nothing I wouldn't expect at any other school. Definitely no regrets about being here, which is impressive considering my initial apprehension (which was more about transitioning to Kirksville itself than anything else).

Favorite? Hard to say... off the top of my head, probably the two-week preceptorship they just sent us on during the summer. There's some shadowing during the school year but this the first time you're really out in the field doing doctor-like stuff and testing out your OMS1 skills. I might have to revisit this one though, I'm probably overlooking something cool

I'd say it's been pretty good so far. Some minor frustrations but nothing our class couldn't handle, and nothing I wouldn't expect at any other school. Definitely no regrets about being here, which is impressive considering my initial apprehension (which was more about transitioning to Kirksville itself than anything else).

Favorite? Hard to say... off the top of my head, probably the two-week preceptorship they just sent us on during the summer. There's some shadowing during the school year but this the first time you're really out in the field doing doctor-like stuff and testing out your OMS1 skills. I might have to revisit this one though, I'm probably overlooking something cool

How has the social life been your first year? Everyone get along? What do you guys do on weekends?

Lucky. The preceptorship was my least favorite... mostly because my doctor didn't let me do anything but shadow him for 2 weeks... boooooriiiiing. Glad yours rocked!

Complete here! Really looking forward to hearing something back. So thankful for the Fee Waiver! Really couldn't afford to apply without it. Good luck guys!

How has the social life been your first year? Everyone get along? What do you guys do on weekends?

I feel like in general, everyone gets along. Cliques form, but that's just the way it is when you put 150-200 people together five days a week. Doesn't mean you don't hang out with other people, but you definitely form your core group of friends.

Weekends vary a lot. There are opportunities to go out of town, I think Des Moines is two hours north, Columbia is 1.5 hours south, and St. Louis is a 3 hour drive/1 hour flight ($100 roundtrip). If you want to go to Chicago and not drive, there's an Amtrak station in LaPlata, but it's really not cost effective if you can drive. Fares out of that station are ridiculous. There's a lot of outdoors stuff to get into. Some of us will go out for drinks one or both nights.

Of course, there are weekends where it's just not practical to do anything other than study. For me, at least.

Lucky. The preceptorship was my least favorite... mostly because my doctor didn't let me do anything but shadow him for 2 weeks... boooooriiiiing. Glad yours rocked!

Yeahhhh, that's why I was thinking I might have to come back to that one... it totally depends on who your preceptor is. When I was with the preceptor himself I didn't do quite as much because it was busier, but when I was with the NPs I got to do a ton.

I just applied here. Looking forward to the process!

ii submitted, 3.66 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, 4.00 gGPA, 26 MCAT (10,6,10) Biochemistry Master Student

ii submitted, 3.66 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, 4.00 gGPA, 26 MCAT (10,6,10) Biochemistry Master Student
II=interview invite, not secondary.

Its ok every new sdner makes that mistake

Is there any thread that has all of the SDN abbreviations in it? lol

Last year they started handing out interview invites soon. Maybe next week possibly.

Did you guys get an email saying you were complete? Because i submitted everything and havnt received anything

Did you guys get an email saying you were complete? Because i submitted everything and havnt received anything
No, I didn't receive an email either. I emailed the admissions lady and they said I was completed though.

I did not receive anything either, but you are supposed to enter the confirmation code you were given by the school on their secondary portal. Which also didn't work. So, if you really want to know, email admissions - it might be the only accurate way anyways. Good luck!

I did not receive anything either, but you are supposed to enter the confirmation code you were given by the school on their secondary portal. Which also didn't work. So, if you really want to know, email admissions - it might be the only accurate way anyways. Good luck!
Where else are you applying?

Last edited:
Just wondering if I should approach DO secondaries similar to MD secondaries? As in a 1-2 week turnaround max or is it more lenient? Thanks!

Good luck everybody this cycle. A number of us could potentially be future classmates. : )

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering if I should approach DO secondaries similar to MD secondaries? As in a 1-2 week turnaround max or is it more lenient? Thanks!

I would treat them the same. I'm pretty sure if you get a secondary and take more than a week to respond at any school it will look bad. I don't think it would make a difference for DO or MD.

I got my MCAT results on 6/13 and if anyone else has, it takes 2 weeks for them to get an update on your MCAT score. Kinda stinks =s

I would treat them the same. I'm pretty sure if you get a secondary and take more than a week to respond at any school it will look bad. I don't think it would make a difference for DO or MD.

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

I got my MCAT results on 6/13 and if anyone else has, it takes 2 weeks for them to get an update on your MCAT score. Kinda stinks =s
Think that depends on what day of the week AACOMAS gets it, KCOM had my new mcat score in a week.

Did your status get updated on the status website? Or how did you know they got it?

Got my rejection letter today. Good luck to you guys!

Sorry! Good luck! Getting rejected early makes you wonder what theyre looking for. You applying to soma?

Did you guys copy and paste from AACOMAS for the clinical section on the secondary?

Anyone else considering not submitting SAT scores? Because I have absolutely no idea how to get my hands on them….

Anyone else considering not submitting SAT scores? Because I have absolutely no idea how to get my hands on them….
I actually called the admissions office a while back about this. The lady I spoke with said most applicants don't list it because they don't have readily available access to their SAT/ACT numbers. She said it is fine to submit without it.

I actually called the admissions office a while back about this. The lady I spoke with said most applicants don't list it because they don't have readily available access to their SAT/ACT numbers. She said it is fine to submit without it.
Thanks a bunch, @t5Nitro. I've been stressing way too much about that. I'm going to go ahead and throw in the secondary today.