A.T. Still University Kirksville (KCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview acceptance today, scheduled for 11/1. Now I have interviews at NOVA, Western Lebanon, and Still. One's named after an old Chevy, one sounds like a Middle Eastern war zone, and one's for cooking whiskey. Choosing between them will be tough.

:laugh: nice one

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No love from my "state" school.

I got my interview this past weekend along with an invite for AZCOM. I live in Virginia, but I don't have DO letter so I'm not sure if it would be worth it filling out the secondary app for VCOM.

Anyways, It said if I don't contact them within 3 weeks I'll be removed from the cycle. I'd like to know my status for AZCOM before I commit to traveling out to KCOM for an interview since AZCOM is higher on my list. If I contact them and ask for a later interview date, does that count as my contact with them, or do I have to actually schedule an interview within 3 weeks?

I would venture to believe it would be the scheduling of the interview, not just contact with them in general.

Interview invitation sent to me this afternoon at 6:21PST!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
INTERVIEW INVITE!!!

3.6 GPA 26 MCAT

non-science major, lots of long term extra-curriculars! Complete July 11th!

YAYYYYYYYY

INTERVIEW INVITE!!!

3.6 GPA 26 MCAT

non-science major, lots of long term extra-curriculars! Complete July 11th!

YAYYYYYYYY

Nice congrats! We have nearly the same stats so hopefully I will be up for an II soon! Goodluck!

Nice congrats! We have nearly the same stats so hopefully I will be up for an II soon! Goodluck!

Boy don't you have like a 3.9 GPA?

that's not the same stats!!! Your chances are good!

Last edited:
Interview invite tonight. Best day of my year so far...my top choice. Congrats to everyone who has received an invite and good luck to everyone waiting to hear from KCOM!

Interview invite tonight. Best day of my year so far...my top choice. Congrats to everyone who has received an invite and good luck to everyone waiting to hear from KCOM!

Congrats! I've been "Application in process" for some time now. KCOM is one of my top choices too. MO resident.

Congrats! I've been "Application in process" for some time now. KCOM is one of my top choices too. MO resident.

When you say application in process, do you mean your LOR have not been recieved yet or is your file complete and it is still being reviewed?

Rejection letter in the mail. No status update or email.. I wonder how long this has been sitting in my box, I haven't checked it since last week Thursday.

Nothing like a rejection letter to bring you down from an interview invite on the same day.

Good luck everyone!

When you say application in process, do you mean your LOR have not been recieved yet or is your file complete and it is still being reviewed?

Complete and being reviewed, but I got rejected this morning.

Yay! The D.O. I shadowed finally sent his letter of recommendation in the mail. About time haha. November 2nd can't come soon enough...

Rejection letter in the mail. No status update or email.. I wonder how long this has been sitting in my box, I haven't checked it since last week Thursday.

Nothing like a rejection letter to bring you down from an interview invite on the same day.

Good luck everyone!

Sorry to hear about that MedPr. I got rejected from KCUMB a couple days ago and felt pretty bad about myself. You are rocking this cycle though so I wouldn't worry about it...you can't get accepted everywhere, right?

Sorry to hear about that MedPr. I got rejected from KCUMB a couple days ago and felt pretty bad about myself. You are rocking this cycle though so I wouldn't worry about it...you can't get accepted everywhere, right?

I think I would've preferred KCOM to KCUMB.

I think I would've preferred KCOM to KCUMB.

Why is that?

I try not to think about liking places that I already rejected me. I thought KCUMB was weird, I passed the first screening then submitted my secondary and got rejected in 2 days. If there was something so wrong with my app why didn't they reject me right away instead of taking my money again? Ohhhh welll...life goes on!

Honestly, who knows what goes on in the adcom front...I really don't understand how they think!

Sorry to hear. I was rooting for KCOM to give you an interview invite, but I'm sure you'll end up somewhere great, even if it's not in Missouri.

Why is that?

I try not to think about liking places that I already rejected me. I thought KCUMB was weird, I passed the first screening then submitted my secondary and got rejected in 2 days. If there was something so wrong with my app why didn't they reject me right away instead of taking my money again? Ohhhh welll...life goes on!

Honestly, who knows what goes on in the adcom front...I really don't understand how they think!

KCOM is closer to my girlfriend in st louis, lol.

Sorry to hear. I was rooting for KCOM to give you an interview invite, but I'm sure you'll end up somewhere great, even if it's not in Missouri.

I hope you're right!

KCOM is closer to my girlfriend in st louis, lol.

I can relate...my bf is applying this cycle as well...so far we have one interview at the school. He turned things in a little later than I did so there's still time. It would be nice to stay in the same place or close.

Isn't your gf almost done with med school?

I can relate...my bf is applying this cycle as well...so far we have one interview at the school. He turned things in a little later than I did so there's still time. It would be nice to stay in the same place or close.

Yea she's an M3 now. The plan is for me to matriculate at her school (which is the school we both attended UG), then for both of us to stay in this city for residency.

Sorry MedPR.. I'm scared to check my mailbox now. I'm pretty surprised that they didn't give you an interview. It's such a crap shoot sometimes!

MedPR did the letter you received state any reasons for passing on you as a candidate? If no, are you going to contact them to ask?

Sorry to hear that man. I read some posts by other people though and it looks like you have invites at other schools. Good luck with those!

In the SAME boat as you! I have KCOM and KCUMB interviews:oops:.. and he applied a little later and hasnt heard anything yet! I am going crazzay! haha

Sorry to hear that man. I read some posts by other people though and it looks like you have invites at other schools. Good luck with those!

so pumped for you babdk7!!!.. I STILL think you should apply to kcumb and not put all your eggs in one basket! COmMON! spend more money! lol:laugh:

so pumped for you babdk7!!!.. I STILL think you should apply to kcumb and not put all your eggs in one basket! COmMON! spend more money! lol:laugh:

Haha I want to go to KCOM as my number one school by far so now I am just hoping they feel the same way about me! I'm all in!

Yea she's an M3 now. The plan is for me to matriculate at her school (which is the school we both attended UG), then for both of us to stay in this city for residency.
Sorry to hear about your rejection man... But honestly the likelihood of you guys rotating and doing your residency in the same city is pretty slim so its probably not that bad of a situation if you don't matriculate there and have to go somewhere else. If it makes you feel any better I am living away from my fiancee right now and its not all that bad.

Sorry to hear about your rejection man... But honestly the likelihood of you guys rotating and doing your residency in the same city is pretty slim so its probably not that bad of a situation if you don't matriculate there and have to go somewhere else. If it makes you feel any better I am living away from my fiancee right now and its not all that bad.

The majority of students at her school who rank the school's hospital (or the neighboring hospital) match there. Also the majority of M3's rotate the school's hospital as well. Even if she wasn't here, I would still like to attend this school. I'm very familiar with the curriculum and the facilities and it would be a great fit for me.

So I have been reading here for a while, but finally have some news. I submitted for EDP at ATSU, and just finally got the secondary submitted about 15 minutes ago. It took forever for AACOMAS to verify my primary application. Anyone else on the later side of the KCOM EDP?

Overall the school has been very helpful.

I appreciate all your condolences. My UG matriculates quite a few students to KCOM every year so I am a little surprised to get a rejection especially so early in the cycle.

MedPR did the letter you received state any reasons for passing on you as a candidate? If no, are you going to contact them to ask?

It didn't. It was about 4 lines long and said something like "We are writing to inform you that the adcom has reviewed your application and you are no longer being considered." I called and asked today and the guy told me to send an email to request the reason. He also said it is usually KCOM's policy to not give out reasons until after the cycle ends. I'll update when they respond to my email.

My stats are 3.28s/3.26c/33Q. Shadowed 3 MDs and 2 DOs totaling around 500 hours. Have a DO LOR. Several volunteer/community service experience totaling nearly 1000 hours. Also have research and healthcare work experience. I'm a MO resident.

I do want to say that this process is about much more than numbers so don't freak out if your stats are lower than mine. The example I've been using to support that claim is the fact that I got an interview at Boston University with my AMCAS stats of 3.00/33Q while someone else with a 3.98/38Q got rejected.

Where is the best airport to travel into? What is the closest and what is the cheapest? Or both? :)

I appreciate all your condolences. My UG matriculates quite a few students to KCOM every year so I am a little surprised to get a rejection especially so early in the cycle.

It didn't. It was about 4 lines long and said something like "We are writing to inform you that the adcom has reviewed your application and you are no longer being considered." I called and asked today and the guy told me to send an email to request the reason. He also said it is usually KCOM's policy to not give out reasons until after the cycle ends. I'll update when they respond to my email.

My stats are 3.28s/3.26c/33Q. Shadowed 3 MDs and 2 DOs totaling around 500 hours. Have a DO LOR. Several volunteer/community service experience totaling nearly 1000 hours. Also have research and healthcare work experience. I'm a MO resident.

I do want to say that this process is about much more than numbers so don't freak out if your stats are lower than mine. The example I've been using to support that claim is the fact that I got an interview at Boston University with my AMCAS stats of 3.00/33Q while someone else with a 3.98/38Q got rejected.

I'm 100 percent surprised you've been rejected...even if u didn't get an interview I'm surprised u at least didn't get put on hold. Obviously everything happens for a reason and there's a better plan for you :) I'm sure u will fall in love with one of the other many schools u are interviewing at!

And I know being in a relationship in this process sucks - my boyfriend is a 3rd year at LECOM Erie and who even knows where I'm going to end up. You'll make it work from wherever you go! :thumbup:

Where is the best airport to travel into? What is the closest and what is the cheapest? Or both? :)

Depends. Do you want to fly straight into Kirksville on a 10 seat plane? If so, first fly into St. Louis and then take the flight into Kirksville. If not, I'd fly into Des Moines and just drive from there (~2.5 hrs.).

When I interviewed, I flew into STL and then drove (~3.25 hrs.) from there because I didn't want to get on that small plane. Didn't think about flying into Des Moines at the time, but it's definitely closer and it's a smaller airport so it's easier to navigate.

What hotels are you guys thinking of staying at?

Me and a few other students stayed at the Comfort Inn about 5 mins. from the school. Nice place, good continental breakfast, fairly priced.

Me and a few other students stayed at the Comfort Inn about 5 mins. from the school. Nice place, good continental breakfast, fairly priced.

Sounds good. Thank you! Free breakfast is the big thing for me. No way am I waking up at 5 to go looking for a Noah's. :D