Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!! Interviewed 11/8

Reactions: 2 users
Current student here, if anyone has questions I am glad to help. It might take me longer to reply since our finals are coming up. Just send me a message.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now. The available December dates conflicted with my other interviews, so I picked a date in January. Just FYI for others, she said that I might be interviewing for a waitlist spot

Has anyone from the November 15th group heard anything yet? The email from a couple weeks ago said that they would send a "status update" by December 2nd.

Thanks just trying to figure out when i will get a decision by lol the waiting game is killing me lol

Got the call: Accepted! Interviewed 11/14.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I have an interview at CUSOM next week but I just got an email saying that I may be interviewing for a waitlist position. I called to inquire and the woman I spoke with said that it is a possibility right now and she cant tell me for sure if I will be interviewing for the waitlist or not. Question is should I attend the interview at all given this extra info? Its an 8 hour drive for me one way (which i would prefer to avoid if im just interviewing for the waitlist) and I have already been accepted to kycom (which is a much more established school with possibly more opportunities?). I also have several more interviews in january which are not for waitlist positions as far as i know. Please help me decide whether to attend cusom interview or not! Thank you!

Hi guys, I have an interview at CUSOM next week but I just got an email saying that I may be interviewing for a waitlist position. I called to inquire and the woman I spoke with said that it is a possibility right now and she cant tell me for sure if I will be interviewing for the waitlist or not. Question is should I attend the interview at all given this extra info? Its an 8 hour drive for me one way (which i would prefer to avoid if im just interviewing for the waitlist) and I have already been accepted to kycom (which is a much more established school with possibly more opportunities?). I also have several more interviews in january which are not for waitlist positions as far as i know. Please help me decide whether to attend cusom interview or not! Thank you!
Make a pros and cons list.

Accepted! Interviewed 11/15, I will be declining my seat however so good luck to everyone!

It depends a lot on what you are looking for in a school. Really consider the mission of each school to determine where you might be a good fit. CUSOM is located in a fairly rural area. Although the website highly emphasizes primary care they are willing to consider applicants who may not choose primary care. They are very missions oriented both globally and in local rural areas. In the interview they highly emphasize why you are interested in osteopathic medicine, and why you are interested in CUSOM - they want to accept people who are going to accept an offer, appreciate and will join the programs they offer and who want to join the community (I.e. A good fit). They are open to OOS applicants. I was very impressed with the family-like atmosphere. I really felt that everyone wanted to see me succeed in the interview which I believe reflects how everyone at the school will support me to be successful at school and as a future physician. I was also very impressed when the dean told us how they were working to ensure we would be successful even though this is a new school. CUSOM is affiliated with 300 resident programs (obviously no guarantee you will get one of those positions, but they work really hard to make sure you will get in somewhere. Class size is 160.

If you feel comfortable at kycom, the programs they offer fit your interests and specialty, and you are excited to join that community it may not be worth it to interview anywhere else. If there is something making you uncomfortable about kycom or if you wonder if the program is a good fit and there is something that interests you about CUSOM than go interview at CUSOM even if it is for the wait list.

That is just my two cents - obviously the decision for each person will be different and based on different things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I called admissions earlier last week and was told that the little message regarding "more information will be provided Oct 2016" is a goof and that they usually hand out emails and such around January. Just trying to clear people's anxiety, because, let's face it...it doesn't go away even after acceptance lol.

Reactions: 1 users
How long does it take to hear back after submitting the secondary?

Yes, kycom is older, but I would also look at board scores, rotation sites, environment, residency placement (cusom will have it's first this march). If I was you I would go for the interview, the medical school you choose could influence your entire future. Best of luck deciding!

Withdrawing my acceptance </3
Hope one of you gets the spot - loved this school!!

Anyone from the 10/31-11/1 hear about scholarships?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using SDN mobile

I don't know about anyone else, but some of the interviewers were tough to gauge as far as whether or not they liked me. Nonetheless I am anxious to hear back. I really liked this school. How do they decide for acceptances. Is it a point system based off scores from each interviewer. Do they still consider primary app post interview? Just curious Good luck to everyone.

So do you think all the spots are filled?

Hey Everyone! I'm a current First year at CUSOM and I was also an OOS applicant. If you have any questions hit me up! All I have to say is...I am blessed that I made the gut decision to turn down my acceptances to WVSOM and KCOM. Hope application season is treating you all well!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Everyone! I'm a current First year at CUSOM and I was also an OOS applicant. If you have any questions hit me up! All I have to say is...I am blessed that I made the gut decision to turn down my acceptances to WVSOM and KCOM. Hope application season is treating you all well!
I'm so glad that you feel this way about CUSOM! What are some aspects about CUSOM that you love?

got the II all today. I'm pretty excited. I'll call back in the morning about scheduling the interview since it seems Tracy left for the day. I'm not too ecstatic about the possibility of interviewing for a waitlist spot but I'll still go ahead and interview. I'm suprised they even gave me a II since my GPA was so low.

I may have missed this information. How long is the interview? Can you catch a 6pm flight home out of Durham?

I may have missed this information. How long is the interview? Can you catch a 6pm flight home out of Durham?
There were three interviews, each approximately 20-30 minutes in length. I had a 5:15pm flight out of Raleigh and made it with plenty of time to spare.

I heard a rumor that today their will be updates for those who have interviewed.

Was it definitely for the waitlist spot instead of "possibly" for the wl spot?

She said it was for an upper waitlist spot but that there is lots of movement on their waitlist so don't be discouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

Go to the interview! I got in, paid my deposit, and will 99% be withdrawing. CUSOM is predatorial with their 45 day policy to pay admission deposits. I got accepted in September before I knew how any of my other school apps would turn out, and had to pay in order to secure 1 acceptance for myself.

I know at least one other student who has paid a deposit and will also 99% not attend, and a 3rd who paid and has an MD interview lined up where if they get in they will also withdraw. There's seats available even if they don't say there are at the moment.

And these are just from ppl I know personally, I am sure there are others as well. CUSOM should follow AACOMAS traffic guidelines like every other DO school, it's not fair to us.

Go to the interview! I got in, paid my deposit, and will 99% be withdrawing. CUSOM is predatorial with their 45 day policy to pay admission deposits. I got accepted in September before I knew how any of my other school apps would turn out, and had to pay in order to secure 1 acceptance for myself.

I know at least one other student who has paid a deposit and will also 99% not attend, and a 3rd who paid and has an MD interview lined up where if they get in they will also withdraw. There's seats available even if they don't say there are at the moment.

And these are just from ppl I know personally, I am sure there are others as well. CUSOM should follow AACOMAS traffic guidelines like every other DO school, it's not fair to us.

I see how it is...you just get the cool knick-knacks and then throw cusom to the curb :p.

lol.... yes. Because CUSOM is efficient and doesn't make you wait months on end for an answer they are in the wrong.

lol.... yes. Because CUSOM is efficient and doesn't make you wait months on end for an answer they are in the wrong.

It's not about the answer. It's about giving us until Dec. 14th to make our deposit rather than 45 days. Literally every DO school EXCEPT for CUSOM and LECOM give you until Dec. 14th. ACOM was even more "efficient" by accepting students in August, and they still had until Dec. 14th. Please tell me more about how I'm in the wrong.

Oh sorry, also BCOM, the for-profit medical school, gives you only 30 days to pay a $3,000 deposit.

And for the record, MD school deposits range from $250-$1,000 and ARE REFUNDABLE until April. When I learned about that, that's when I realized how predatorial these tactics are.

And for the record, MD school deposits range from $250-$1,000 and ARE REFUNDABLE until April. When I learned about that, that's when I realized how predatorial these tactics are.

Thats a D.O. problem, not CUSOM. If you would like to stick to the M.D. programs then do so. This is public information before you submit any application. Not attacking you, just saying don't complain about things because you did not do your homework. You'll be in for a rude awakening once you start medical school (MD or DO .... )

I feel like this is one of those things that are liable to change once the prestige of D.O. programs and M.D. programs converge a bit. Is it predatory? Sure. But these programs need to incentivize potential students to stay. For most people getting into an M.D. school will cause them to drop all accepted D.O. programs. Just because the students do this, doesn't make them bad people it's just the way the status-quo of the medical "hierarchy" works. In the same sense, yeah the schools doing this is icky but having to be treated as second-hand isn't easy, either, so I can understand the necessity of wanting a bit of a commitment. Not supporting this just playing devil's advocate.

I feel like this is one of those things that are liable to change once the prestige of D.O. programs and M.D. programs converge a bit. Is it predatory? Sure. But these programs need to incentivize potential students to stay. For most people getting into an M.D. school will cause them to drop all accepted D.O. programs. Just because the students do this, doesn't make them bad people it's just the way the status-quo of the medical "hierarchy" works. In the same sense, yeah the schools doing this is icky but having to be treated as second-hand isn't easy, either, so I can understand the necessity of wanting a bit of a commitment. Not supporting this just playing devil's advocate.

It's all a gimic. Do you know how many MD applicants get accepted to multiple schools, then end up switching from one to another? It happens a lot, and the lower-tier MD schools can also make the argument that they are being treated as second-class. But they don't fuss about it, and neither should DO schools. Both have more than enough applicants to fill their seats and the admissions process is a YEAR long process for a reason.

Thats a D.O. problem, not CUSOM. If you would like to stick to the M.D. programs then do so. This is public information before you submit any application. Not attacking you, just saying don't complain about things because you did not do your homework. You'll be in for a rude awakening once you start medical school (MD or DO .... )

Please explain to me how CUSOM not following AACOMAS traffic guidelines (which in your argument is public information for applying to D.O. schools) is a D.O. problem. Thank You .

It's all a gimic. Do you know how many MD applicants get accepted to multiple schools, then end up switching from one to another? It happens a lot, and the lower-tier MD schools can also make the argument that they are being treated as second-class. But they don't fuss about it, and neither should DO schools. Both have more than enough applicants to fill their seats and the admissions process is a YEAR long process for a reason.

M.D. is still M.D. it's awesome that you're thinking on a spectrum but a lot of people don't. To them a D.O. may as well be a category of its own, the not quite an M.D. I wouldn't underestimate how narrow-minded some can be. Again, not agreeing with how they do things. But if it's done to secure some candidates that were very on top of their games early in the cycle, I can see why they would. Of course, it could just 100% be money-grab lol. But then I would like to remind you that most of the faculty are probably not privy to that and you shouldn't hold all of CUSOM against it.