Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebritches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which adult cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship programs are most sought after nowadays? *Asking for a friend*

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn’t matter where you go homie whether you attain consultant status in this **** is up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which adult cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship programs are most sought after nowadays? *Asking for a friend*

But seriously, ask around with your cardiac attendings and former residents who are now fellows. Look at the case numbers that are listed for the programs at the SCA website Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists > Fellowships & Career Development > ACGME-Accredited Fellowship Programs

Typical names you'll always hear are Duke, BWH, Stanford, CCF, Texas Heart, Penn, Mayo, Emory

More importantly, figure out what kind of practice you want when you're done. Every place will prepare you to do B&B CABG and valves (although MVR / complex mitral repair can be lacking in some shops). If academics or a big tertiary center are in your future, you need to go somewhere that has strong 3d echo teaching in addition to high volume in TAVR, TMVR, mitraclip, LAAO devices, LVAD, mechanical circ support, hybrid aortic procedures, and transplant. These procedures are becoming more common, can require complex echo, and in the future are really what will differentiate fellowship trained CT anesthesiologists from those who do cardiac/echo casually.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
i hear cleveland clinic is second to none

Senior resident interviewed there when I was a CA1 few years back. Told me the interview was great, huge volumes, complex cases, but the fellows looked exhausted and often joked that the newcomers should be placed on suicide watch. I didn't go into cardiac. Make of that what you will.

I didn’t go to Cleveland clinic for fellowship- but the attendings I had from there were the best as far as echo skills and they had seen everything it seemed.
Our new hires from there are always rock stars. Always, without fail. The name alone will put a resume ahead of others for us. So they might work you, but you’re going to be ready for any type of practice you want to join.

Senior resident interviewed there when I was a CA1 few years back. Told me the interview was great, huge volumes, complex cases, but the fellows looked exhausted and often joked that the newcomers should be placed on suicide watch. I didn't go into cardiac. Make of that what you will.
If you're not working your ass off and seeing huge volume and complex cases as a fellow, you are wasting the year. Remember, you're paying a very large sum of money to be there. Get maximum value for your tuition, er, I mean opportunity cost.

I didn't do my fellowship at Cleveland Clinic, but I am a big believer in workhorse, non-supervisory, do-the-goddamn-cases-yourself, cardiac anesthesiology fellowships (as opposed to echo fellowships).

Reactions: 4 users
If you're not working your ass off and seeing huge volume and complex cases as a fellow, you are wasting the year. Remember, you're paying a very large sum of money to be there. Get maximum value for your tuition, er, I mean opportunity cost.

I didn't do my fellowship at Cleveland Clinic, but I am a big believer in workhorse, non-supervisory, do-the-goddamn-cases-yourself, cardiac anesthesiology fellowships (as opposed to echo fellowships).

It boggles my mind when I get on here and see people asking where they can go train and work as little as possible.
You are absolutely right- you don’t see cases when you’re not in the hospital.
There are tons of CRNA programs out there if easy is what you’re looking for.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly.....any of the said programs above or any program with the word “university” in it’s name. Just get a fellowship and personally do as many cases as you can, especially the sick/complex cases.

Reactions: 1 user