Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Our Parasitology professor was ranting today in class about a vet school she wouldn’t name, and she was going on and on and she said that the students got to choose between taking either bacteriology, virology, or parasitology.

So I figured I’d go to SDN and figure out who it was. She might be completely wrong, but as someone who ends up taking 2 parasitology courses and parasit during clinics, I wanna know who gets to choose. :laugh:
I'm not totally sure how this schema would work with boards since those three subjects comprise a HUGE list of important agents, many of which are reportable as hell and would definitely show up on board exams. Are you sure your professor's claim had any veracity or were they being hyperbolic?
CSU has virology, parasit, and 3 semesters of “biology of disease”
We have parasitology, bacteriology, and virology as separate classes all in one semester. BOD is actually our series of pathology classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Heck no... taking parasitology and bacteriology right now and virology is next semester. School decided to go from two semesters of parasitology to one AND keep all the material in the 1 semester course.... :claps:

Doesn’t look like it’s auburn or mizzou. Tuskegee has “infection and immunity (parasitology II and immunology)”
(Idk where their fall schedule is and where parasit I is??????)

I'm not totally sure how this schema would work with boards since those three subjects comprise a HUGE list of important agents, many of which are reportable as hell and would definitely show up on board exams. Are you sure your professor's claim had any veracity or were they being hyperbolic?
that’s why I was so amazed. I didn’t understand it! So that’s why I turned to SDN to help me narrow it down.

We have parasitology and microbiology and then another infectious disease course that covers everything again

Members don't see this ad :)
All in one course????
17D2737C-2014-4654-956E-753883AEA97C.jpeg

Can confirm it's not K-State, we take all three separately second year. I also feel like this professor was probably misinformed.

Your school specific knowledge is requested! Does your school require separate bacteriology, virology, and parasitology courses? I’m on a wolf hunt rn because I’ve been told there was a school where you got to pick one.
During year 2 of vet school, we take them as 3 separate courses: Bacteriology/Mycology, Virology, and Parasitology.

@kcoughli @katashark @mmmdreamerz @Coopah @vetmedhead @love2hunt @WildZoo

Your school specific knowledge is requested! Does your school require separate bacteriology, virology, and parasitology courses? I’m on a wolf hunt rn because I’ve been told there was a school where you got to pick one.
UMN has one big giant combination course called Agents of Disease that will destroy your soul and laugh at you in the process.

So no, you don't get to pick :p

I have been thinking about that and really wish our program did that. Juggling which class to desperately study for is hell.

I actually like it because I think it's nice to get all these organisms out of the way all at once. Just get through the giant list of infectious organisms. I think it will help me keep them straight.

We get introduced to all of them in the second half of of our first semsester in a class called “Dealing with Threats,” and then we revisit the topics in our body systems courses. I really like the approach.

We get introduced to all of them in the second half of of our first semsester in a class called “Dealing with Threats,” and then we revisit the topics in our body systems courses. I really like the approach.
interesting...