Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been liking parasit. It's to the point know this info. Bacti has been a struggle. Viro is finally getting interesting.

We're also taking antimicrobials right now and the prof is definitely pushing for us to test every single patient before drugging it. I get her sentiment. But not realistic in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks y’all!

I have concluded that my professor was probably being dramatic. Because I really think we’ve looked at them all. Either that or she was talking about an old curriculum that’s been changed since then!

Thanks for your help. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been liking parasit. It's to the point know this info. Bacti has been a struggle. Viro is finally getting interesting.

We're also taking antimicrobials right now and the prof is definitely pushing for us to test every single patient before drugging it. I get her sentiment. But not realistic in my opinion.
Have they changed your antimicrobial lecturers yet? When my class had it, we had a human med guy teaching several lectures (we were his first veterinary class) and he didn't know certain antibiotics were illegal in food animals until one of my classmates brought it up :laugh:

ETA: also super bummed for you guys...we briefly had an actual veterinary pharmacist who left after like 2 months of being in the teaching hospital (are you surprised? Because I'm not). We were all hoping you guys would at some point get taught pharm from her since the material covered in 2nd year is so lacking otherwise

Last edited:
Have they changed your antimicrobial lecturers yet? When my class had it, we had a human med guy teaching several lectures (we were his first veterinary class) and he didn't know certain antibiotics were illegal in food animals until one of my classmates brought it up :laugh:

ETA: also super bummed for you guys...we briefly had an actual veterinary pharmacist who left after like 2 months of being in the teaching hospital (are you surprised? Because I'm not). We were all hoping you guys would at some point get taught pharm from her since the material covered in 2nd year is so lacking otherwise

The drug lectures in general (pharm, antimicrobials) seem to be all over the place. I thought the lecture powepoints were okay. But the order of how things were taught was funky to me. I also don't really get why we don't have just one big drug class that spans the whole year so that we can, you know, actually learn the drugs.

Granted, I was chronically two weeks behind in 605 from week 3 on due to Kat's shenanigans, so my perspective is probably skewed. I was honestly planning on going and looking at all of that stuff again because I don't remember anything between September 13 to finals class wise, to be perfectly honest. And this stuff is actually kinda important. :laugh::laugh:

Thanks y’all!

I have concluded that my professor was probably being dramatic. Because I really think we’ve looked at them all. Either that or she was talking about an old curriculum that’s been changed since then!

Thanks for your help. :laugh:
I vaguely remember her saying something about that being several years ago so it probably was changed afterward!

If anyone is wondering how dead Brian* currently is, this morning during our 8 am Virology Exam, our professor was lecturing to us about Vesicular diseases (for those who don’t know, they’re bad and indistinguishable on presentation and we’re rightfully, very paranoid about foot & mouth disease), and the importance of reporting them.

Basically she went on a spiel that if it looks like a foot & mouth, even if it’s not foot & mouth you call the state vet immediately and they come and tell you that no, it’s not f&m. So she kept repeating it over and over again. So then 5 minutes later she shows us a pig with vesicular disease and she goes “who you gonna call?

Did I say “the state vet”? No, I did not. I proudly whispered “ghostbusters!” and then giggled to my self for the next 5 minutes.

I sit too close to the front to make jokes the way that I do.

@Teepster87 would ghostbuster be a better title for that job? :laugh:

* Brian is my brain. He is not a typo. He is the name for my brain when my brain is being a Brian.

Reactions: 4 users
Brian is my brain. He is not a typo. He is the name for my brain when my brain is being a Brian.
I'm trying to figure out if you picked this up from me. I've unintentionally given this terminology to at least five or six people that I know of in the last six months so I wouldn't be surprised if I did it to you too :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to figure out if you picked this up from me. I've unintentionally given this terminology to at least five or six people that I know of in the last six months so I wouldn't be surprised if I did it to you too :thinking:
It’s been at least a year if not more...

It might’ve originally been from an autocorrect, but once I went to vet school, brain became Brian because Brian cannot do anything right

If anyone is wondering how dead Brian* currently is, this morning during our 8 am Virology Exam, our professor was lecturing to us about Vesicular diseases (for those who don’t know, they’re bad and indistinguishable on presentation and we’re rightfully, very paranoid about foot & mouth disease), and the importance of reporting them.

Basically she went on a spiel that if it looks like a foot & mouth, even if it’s not foot & mouth you call the state vet immediately and they come and tell you that no, it’s not f&m. So she kept repeating it over and over again. So then 5 minutes later she shows us a pig with vesicular disease and she goes “who you gonna call?

Did I say “the state vet”? No, I did not. I proudly whispered “ghostbusters!” and then giggled to my self for the next 5 minutes.

I sit too close to the front to make jokes the way that I do.

@Teepster87 would ghostbuster be a better title for that job? :laugh:

* Brian is my brain. He is not a typo. He is the name for my brain when my brain is being a Brian.
I always hear things like , " when you hear hooves, think horses. But be on the lookout for zebras"
Zebra-buster might be pretty good.

Cut open my first abdomen and stomach today. I'll admit I was a little bit startled when I pulled the first of these out. They were not covered in parasitology!
20181104_1703171.jpg

photo.php

Members don't see this ad :)
Are those plastic?

The dog ate a bunch of Halloween decorations. There was also some pretty large chunks of cloth mixed in. When I started pulling them out through the incision, the first spider looked like it was going to leap out from the tension. It was a little weird and pretty funny.

Honesty time:

I cried on Friday during a lab we had. It was partially an auscultation lab where we were listening to horse hearts for murmurs and whatnot, and I could. not. hear. them. Even with my fancy, more expensive stethoscope I just couldn’t hear the heart sounds. I’ve rarely had a problem with my deafness in veterinary medicine, but this one hit me pretty hard. I’ve even trained my ear& brain to hear small animal heart, lung, and gut sounds, but I just couldn’t hear anything at all. Even if someone held the stethoscope in the exact right place and could hear it and gave me the stethoscope to hear while still holding it.

So my friends were great and they found me a horse with the most messed up heart in which I was finally able to faintly hear the heart, but still. Was difficult.

Reactions: 7 users
Honesty time:

I cried on Friday during a lab we had. It was partially an auscultation lab where we were listening to horse hearts for murmurs and whatnot, and I could. not. hear. them. Even with my fancy, more expensive stethoscope I just couldn’t hear the heart sounds. I’ve rarely had a problem with my deafness in veterinary medicine, but this one hit me pretty hard. I’ve even trained my ear& brain to hear small animal heart, lung, and gut sounds, but I just couldn’t hear anything at all. Even if someone held the stethoscope in the exact right place and could hear it and gave me the stethoscope to hear while still holding it.

So my friends were great and they found me a horse with the most messed up heart in which I was finally able to faintly hear the heart, but still. Was difficult.
Hugs, cdo.

If it helps, I know how you feel. I have moments like this every once in a while. I'm compensating for my hearing loss in everything I do, every day. It takes a ton of energy but it's so normal to me, I don't always remember that this isn't normal for everyone. Then something happens that I can't compensate for and something small or easy for everyone else is a huge struggle, and it's amazing how quickly my emotions just unravel. It's okay to be frustrated, and it's okay to be upset about it. I'm glad you have good friends who helped you through it.

Reactions: 3 users
When you say fancy stethy, do you mean an electronic one? @cdoconn
Yeah, what Ski says. A Cardio IV instead of like a cheaper one to get me through school. I can typically hear dog and cat decently fine, but I’m very lost on hearing horses (especially when it’s even somewhat loud) , which concerns me for the clinics...

Yeah, what Ski says. A Cardio IV instead of like a cheaper one to get me through school. I can typically hear dog and cat decently fine, but I’m very lost on hearing horses (especially when it’s even somewhat loud) , which concerns me for the clinics...
You'll be fine. They have a much lower sound is likely the issue. Some stethoscopes are better for lower sounds. If you aren't planning on working equine, don't sweat it. Even if you are on clinics and don't hear it, it won't be a problem. Plenty of folk with hearing that works fine still can't hear them either. :)

He has an older version of this:

3M™ Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3200

Pricy AF but it does work and it makes the sounds a lot louder. I don't like it very much, but it's good for fine heart sounds, and if you have trouble hearing at all, I think it could be a big help. The volume is adjustable.

Just a thought, girl. And if it's just stupid ol' horses, well... eh. I haven't listened to a horse heart in 3 1/2 years so... just gotta get through the next 3 years or so.

He has an older version of this:

3M Littmann Electronic Stethoscope Model 3200

Pricy AF but it does work and it makes the sounds a lot louder. I don't like it very much, but it's good for fine heart sounds, and if you have trouble hearing at all, I think it could be a big help. The volume is adjustable.

Just a thought, girl. And if it's just stupid ol' horses, well... eh. I haven't listened to a horse heart in 3 1/2 years so... just gotta get through the next 3 years or so.

I appreciate it! I’ll definitely look into it!

Yeah it seems to be horses- haven’t listened to cows, but dogs and cats (and hamster) heart, lungs, and gut are audible to me. Just like 2.64 years to go... *cries*

Can it be Thanksgiving break yet? Feel like a zombie this week. Bacteriology exam last friday, Hematology was Monday, Parasitology tomorrow.. and Pharmacology next Monday... Path final is the Wednesday after Thanksgiving but hey this semester is almost over right? ;):eek:

Can it be Thanksgiving break yet? Feel like a zombie this week. Bacteriology exam last friday, Hematology was Monday, Parasitology tomorrow.. and Pharmacology next Monday... Path final is the Wednesday after Thanksgiving but hey this semester is almost over right? ;):eek:

I am so done with this semester.

Midterm tomorrow and Friday over Parasit, Bacti, Viro, and Antimicrobials. Then a week with the parents! <3

I just keep telling myself: just need a 72%. Cs get degrees.

I’ve had a headache for the last 2 weeks. According to the Google, lasting headaches are likely due to caffeine, stress, lack of sleep, or brain tumor.

3/4 sounds about right.

I’m ready for this semester to be over. 19 more school days.

My classes have been cancelled all week due to smoke. It's basically not safe to breath in Davis right now. I'm hoping the test in Friday doesn't get pushed. Stupid fires.

I’ve had a headache for the last 2 weeks. According to the Google, lasting headaches are likely due to caffeine, stress, lack of sleep, or brain tumor.

3/4 sounds about right.

I’m ready for this semester to be over. 19 more school days.
Or a cerebral venous thrombosis! Ah memories...

My classes have been cancelled all week due to smoke. It's basically not safe to breath in Davis right now. I'm hoping the test in Friday doesn't get pushed. Stupid fires.
Gosh why don't you guys just put out the fires?????

Or a cerebral venous thrombosis! Ah memories...

I've just seen your signature for the first time in forever and you cannot be at the point of having your rotations in your signature!!!! :O

I've just seen your signature for the first time in forever and you cannot be at the point of having your rotations in your signature!!!! :O
~soon~
I mean, clinics are still 5 months away. But I do have my schedule! Pending changes.

Midterm tomorrow and Friday over Parasit, Bacti, Viro, and Antimicrobials. Then a week with the parents! <3

I just keep telling myself: just need a 72%. Cs get degrees.

Except for when you want a lab animal residency :(

This semester had put the nail firmly into that coffin. Compressing the extra 8 weeks of systemic path into a single semester is wrecking us.
Well if it's wrecking everyone at least your class rank should be fairly stable! :D

At this point, I’m hoping that my mediocre grades can be masked by the fantastic letters of recommendation, surgical skill, and my give ‘em hell persistence. :unsure:
Grades aren't everything when it comes to internships and residencies. And that's not just something people say. I've heard it from the source (people on our intern selection committee). Those letters and people knowing you and knowing you are great to work with are probably the most important factors. How much grades factor in depends on the specialty...definitely still a factor because they want to make sure you'll be able to successfully pass boards when you're done with your residency, but not as much of a factor as you'd think.

Grades aren't everything when it comes to internships and residencies. And that's not just something people say. I've heard it from the source (people on our intern selection committee). Those letters and people knowing you and knowing you are great to work with are probably the most important factors. How much grades factor in depends on the specialty...definitely still a factor because they want to make sure you'll be able to successfully pass boards when you're done with your residency, but not as much of a factor as you'd think.

Hoping this is the case! My grades aren't bad but not stellar either. Pretty heavily involved and part time jobs relating to the field so we will see. I know this is what I want to do so I'll give it my best shot and see what happens. Still a few years off but I hope it comes soon.

Yeah, we are putting so much more time into that class it is killing our grades in our other classes. Hooray for being guinea pigs for the new format. It doesn't help we are changing professors almost every test too.
Ah I'm kind of used to that last part since a lot of our courses have 5-6 instructors. They usually have their lectures in blocks so exam 1 will be Dr. A, B, and C; exam 2 will be Dr. D and E; the final is Dr. F and G. Or something like that. There are a few classes that are exceptions but that's mostly how it works. But it is difficult to really get a feel for how to study if each professor writes their own questions. Sometimes they'll give us example questions beforehand, which helps.

Ah I'm kind of used to that last part since a lot of our courses have 5-6 instructors. They usually have their lectures in blocks so exam 1 will be Dr. A, B, and C; exam 2 will be Dr. D and E; the final is Dr. F and G. Or something like that. There are a few classes that are exceptions but that's mostly how it works. But it is difficult to really get a feel for how to study if each professor writes their own questions. Sometimes they'll give us example questions beforehand, which helps.
Yeah, off the top of my head I think we easily have 15 different professors just for two classes. If I had to guess for the whole semester we probably receive instruction from (and are tested by) >30 professors

Yeah, off the top of my head I think we easily have 15 different professors just for two classes. If I had to guess for the whole semester we probably receive instruction from (and are tested by) >30 professors

Differences between a small program and being in one of the larger ones I guess.

100 pages!

Last edited: