Colorado vs. Georgetown vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comoroa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at all three, and they are all really good med schools. Having problems choosing though.... I am from the West Coast and have lived there almost my entire life. Although I am from a WWAMI state, i decided not to apply to UW because I really didn't want to do my first two years in my home state. I am really uninterested in primary care, and am thinking about going into a competitive specialty like surgery. Other considerations-I have a fiance, who will need to find a job, and have absolutely no money or parental help.
Georgetown-
Pro- like their philosophy, like the locale
Con-$$$$, older facilities, not sure how I feel about DC

Colorado-
Pro-I may or may not get instate tuition, Denver is awesome, I love the Avs
Con- Students didn't seem especially happy, felt like they emphasized primary care quite a bit and I'm in no way interested, waaaaay too expensive if I don't get WICHE funding.

Temple-
Pro- loved the students, loved the new facilities,felt like they actually wanted me
Con- not sure how I feel about Philly, not a huge fan of having to do my rotations someplace else.

Any other considerations? Prestige really isn't a factor for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted at all three, and they are all really good med schools. Having problems choosing though.... I am from the West Coast and have lived there almost my entire life. Although I am from a WWAMI state, i decided not to apply to UW because I really didn't want to do my first two years in my home state. I am really uninterested in primary care, and am thinking about going into a competitive specialty like surgery. Other considerations-I have a fiance, who will need to find a job, and have absolutely no money or parental help.
Georgetown-
Pro- like their philosophy, like the locale
Con-$$$$, older facilities, not sure how I feel about DC

Colorado-
Pro-I may or may not get instate tuition, Denver is awesome, I love the Avs
Con- Students didn't seem especially happy, felt like they emphasized primary care quite a bit and I'm in no way interested, waaaaay too expensive if I don't get WICHE funding.

Temple-
Pro- loved the students, loved the new facilities,felt like they actually wanted me
Con- not sure how I feel about Philly, not a huge fan of having to do my rotations someplace else.

Any other considerations? Prestige really isn't a factor for me.

First of all, UW is not just a primary care school. It's great for all fields. It's number 1 in primary care, but you would do well in just about any field at that school. The hospital is one of the best.

I would go with Colorado > Georgetown > Temple, taking everything including price, prestige, and location. It seems like you would like it more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't not apply to UW because of its primary care emphasis. I didn't apply because I didn't want to have to spend my first two years in my home state at the state school campus. The students I met there didn't seem to be very happy with their decision, and that in turn factored into my decision.

i decided not to apply to UW because I really didn't want to do my first two years in my home state.
I thought you only spend your first year at home...either way, its too late to think about that now.

Colorado, hands down. I believe it was recently voted the happiest/healthiest in the nation. Job market is not horrible. :thumbup:

Well since you are interested in a competitive residency Georgetown is worth considering as they match really well especially in ortho. The metro area would probably also have better job opportunities for your fiance than Denver or Philli (depending on her line of work). However, the cost is big... really big and I understand what you mean with the whole facilities thing. CO is pretty cool and I have heard good things about Denver... If I were you I would wait to hear about financial aid. If CO is a lot cheaper go with them, if not go with GTown (I'm doing it:D)

Well since you are interested in a competitive residency Georgetown is worth considering as they match really well especially in ortho. The metro area would probably also have better job opportunities for your fiance than Denver or Philli (depending on her line of work). However, the cost is big... really big and I understand what you mean with the whole facilities thing. CO is pretty cool and I have heard good things about Denver... If I were you I would wait to hear about financial aid. If CO is a lot cheaper go with them, if not go with GTown (I'm doing it:D)

You going to second look, vitty? Maybe I'll see you there.

I'm just worried about being able to match to a competitive residency if I go to Colorado. It seems like Colorado doesn't match as well as Georgetown or Temple.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am still waiting on a few other schools that might become my top choice if I get in...

I'm just worried about being able to match to a competitive residency if I go to Colorado. It seems like Colorado doesn't match as well as Georgetown or Temple.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am still waiting on a few other schools that might become my top choice if I get in...

Hmm, that's weird. I thought Temple was the odd man out of that group (in terms of prestige). I have heard good stuff about Colorado. I really think the match list of Colorado is different b/c it's a public school. Thus, most people end up staying in that area and may not get into residencies that people would find competitive. Don't look too much into that. If you are REALLY worried than I would go to Georgetown as it is the most reputed of the three. I don't think Temple is worth that kind of money. I have never heard anything that great about that school.

Status
Not open for further replies.