Des Moines class of 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanpj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
looking to talk to fellow students who will be attending DMU in the fall of 2000

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ryan

I have been accepted at DMU and there is a great chance that I will end up there. I have an interview next week at UHS, but I'm not real sure how good my chances are of getting accepted. I would like to hear from you. Do you have any housing recommendations in Des Moines? Feel free to email me. Later.

Vic

Ryan and Vic,

As of now, I am planning on attending DM in August 2000. I am on the waiting list at LECOM and UHS as well - but will probably still go to DM. See you there in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be attending DMU this fall. The area was a pleasant surprise to me. Des Moines seems like a nice place to live while furthering your education. There were a lot of nice areas both close to the school and further out. The only thing about DMU that concerns me is the price, and it is still cheaper than UHS and a few others (not by much).

See you there in August everyone! I've recently found a nice place in Urbandale, just north of West Des Moines. It will be nice to go home each night a bit away from school, this worked for me in grad school. Where have all of you decided to live? Good Luck to all of you.

Mike

IndyMike (and everyone else too if you have info)

How did you go about picking an apartment?? There are soo many to choose from! I have a few in mind right now...but am not really sure how I am going to decide and if I am going to be able to get back to DM before moving in - to come look at them.

Did you go to DM to look at a bunch?? I would be interested in any/all input on this matter!

I would like to live in a complex that houses a lot of DMU students - for social and study purposes...hoping to find a 1BR apt that's pretty nice and relatively inexpensive. It seems that housing is pretty cheap there! =) Yeah for uS!!!

Thanks!
Beth

I feel your pain. I am having the same trouble. THere are so many places to choose from. In order to take a look at all of them you would have to spend like 3 days there. Later on I will get my guide book out and list the places that I am looking into.

I too will be starting DMU in the fall. I already live here (Urbandale).

Mike- Where's your place? House or Apt?

If anyone wants an opinion on an apartment complex, run it by me... I'll give you an opinion if I am familiar with it.

Pretty much any place with an Urbandale, West Des Moines, or Clive address will be nice, safe, and within 20 minute drive of school....

AVOID: 1. anything within walking distance of any of the hospitals in Des Moines. 2. Drake Neighborhood
3. Not a definite avoid, but would recommend against anything listed as "East Side"

Duncan,

I have pretty much narrowed it down to Nottingham Square. Any information on this place? I think I will be there a week from Saturday to secure a studio or one bedroom. I'm pretty sure they start at $475+. Let me know of any other places in that area you might recommend. Where are you in Urbandale, apt.? house? So what is the drive like from Urbandale to the University? Thanks in advance.

Mike

------------------
Indiana Mike
Des Moines University - College of
Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery
Class of 2004

[This message has been edited by IndyMike (edited 05-24-2000).]

Mike- That's the place right behind K-Mart, Right? That is a nice area, and convenient to the freeway. You've got about 10 minute drive to school. I think there are 2 or 3 complexes in that same vicinity, I was in one of them once several years ago but they seemed nice.

I have a house in Urbandale.

As I said, any thing in the western suburbs is going to be a nice place. A couple that come to mind are Ashley Square Appartments in Urbandale and Winwood Apartments in Johnston (just north of I-80). I think these places both have laundry in each unit - which I would want! Westchester Square Apts in Urbandale is also nice.

Sun Praire is a huge complex in W.DM. lots of different appartment styles. I have known several people living there - might be a little more expensive?

--Derek

Dduncan

thanks for the advice!! Where is the drake area that you suggested avoiding??

From what I hear - I think that I am going to be mainly looking in west des moines, urbandale, and some places right around the school...or a little south - kind of near the airport. Any input on that area??

Beth

Drake University is north of DMU...

I am not a fan of the south side either. Not a "bad" area, but not very nice. Most of the manufacturing, labor type jobs are on the south side.

Nearly all shopping, entertainment, and conveniences are on the west side.

Hello all,
I just got accepted to DMU for next year and I am trying to find a duplex or house to rent in urbandale. Also my wife works in molecular biology, and I am wondering if there are any companies in the area that could use someone like that(research facility ect.). She will be applying to Pioneer hybred, but she really isn't into plant research. I do think that would be a good job though.
Anyway back to the housing issue, how far in advance are you going to get a place? I am probably going to move in late July so Im not sure if a landlord would be willing to wait until then.

See you in AUGUST,

NATE

I would like for people to evaluate these places that I am looking into.
1. Fleur Place
2. Forest Glen
3. Prarie Woods
4. Winwood
5. Woods Edge
6. Notingham Square
7. Green Valley
8. The Fountains
9. Meadowridge

Anyone else decided or heard anything about housing? I am going up on June 13.

Here are the places that I am mainly looking at now: ANY AND ALL input would be appreciated!

Sun Prairie
Cross Creek
Elmcrest
Forest Glen
Kingswoods
Somerset
Willow Park
Woods Edge
Bristol Apartments
Bennett Grand
Jordan Creek
Normandy Terrace