2019-2020 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know a few people who live in Jackson Crossing and really like it. It’s about a ten min drive from DMU

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, spoke with 3000 Grand... The only possible opening is in MID-AUGUST and the person they offered it to is considering it and there is a line of others ahead of me. They said it's possible a current lease holder could leave for an emergency, should one arise, but the folks ahead would get first dibs. Time for me to start calling places again.

I know a few people who live in Jackson Crossing and really like it. It’s about a ten min drive from DMU
The one bedroom and studio virtual tours on apartments.com look pretty darn appealing. Love that its no carpet and comes with washer and dryer - two of my cons for 3000 Grand.

Members don't see this ad :)
The one bedroom and studio virtual tours on apartments.com look pretty darn appealing. Love that its no carpet and comes with washer and dryer - two of my cons for 3000 Grand.
I haven’t heard any complaints from the people that I know live there, it’s in a nice area too, super close to downtown but not in the middle of it all! Definitely would recommend.

Okay, spoke with 3000 Grand... The only possible opening is in MID-AUGUST and the person they offered it to is considering it and there is a line of others ahead of me. They said it's possible a current lease holder could leave for an emergency, should one arise, but the folks ahead would get first dibs. Time for me to start calling places again.
There were 13 people on the waitlist for 1BR back in late March, the number should be higher by now.

Sorry to jump in here amongst all the other convos, but would any of you happen to have points of comparison between DMU and KCU (Kansas City campus)? Very recently accepted off the WL at KCU, but I am not sure if there is anything that would significantly compel me to take it over DMU.

Sorry to jump in here amongst all the other convos, but would any of you happen to have points of comparison between DMU and KCU (Kansas City campus)? Very recently accepted off the WL at KCU, but I am not sure if there is anything that would significantly compel me to take it over DMU.
I was invited to KCU-KC but withdrew after getting accepted to DMU. They both seem like great programs. However, I felt like I would dig the city of Des Moines a lot more. Only thing that sucks is no major sport teams and probably don't get much concert traffic here, if you're into any of that.

A DO that I worked with went to KCU-KC and loved it.

Maybe look at the curriculums? DMU just changed to a block schedule and someone posted a link to that a couple days ago. See where KCU does clerkships vs DMU.

I don't think you can go wrong with either school. How is KC as a city vs DSM? Like I mentioned, that played a huge role for me. I think Des Moines was actually top 5 best cities to live in.

Just checked and it is according to US News

Reactions: 1 users
Riots everywhere last night, man 2020 has been a ****show so far :(

Riots everywhere last night, man 2020 has been a ****show so far :(
I saw online that DSM had a peaceful protest/rally downtown yesterday afternoon. I didn't know it became riot-like and clashing with PD until now.

I saw online that DSM had a peaceful protest/rally downtown yesterday afternoon. I didn't know it became riot-like and clashing with PD until now.
There was a group of about 200 that stuck around after the peaceful protests and were idiots about things. DSM police did a good job. Everything was fine till bricks, cement, etc were thrown by certain protesters and a couple stores got looted, or at least windows and stuff were smashed but nothing was taken. It also wasn't outwardly violent (compared to other places) Don't let the sensationalism scare ya

I was invited to KCU-KC but withdrew after getting accepted to DMU. They both seem like great programs. However, I felt like I would dig the city of Des Moines a lot more. Only thing that sucks is no major sport teams and probably don't get much concert traffic here, if you're into any of that.

A DO that I worked with went to KCU-KC and loved it.

Maybe look at the curriculums? DMU just changed to a block schedule and someone posted a link to that a couple days ago. See where KCU does clerkships vs DMU.

I don't think you can go wrong with either school. How is KC as a city vs DSM? Like I mentioned, that played a huge role for me. I think Des Moines was actually top 5 best cities to live in.

Just checked and it is according to US News
I know KCU has a "double-pass" curriculum system in the first two years, and they seem to be more hardcore in testing and test prep than DMU, though I don't lean either way on this. I think the clinical rotations might be the tipping point for me, though. KCU has far-flung clinical sites across the country, and I don't like the idea of potentially packing up my stuff and sauntering off all the way to Mississippi or Colorado. At least almost all of DMU's sites are in the Midwest. Yes, there is a site in San Antonio, and I don't particularly lean on potentially going to TX for that (unless one of two certain schools in Dallas or Edinburg would take me off their WL :shifty:), but I'll count on that not happening.

I know KCU has a "double-pass" curriculum system in the first two years, and they seem to be more hardcore in testing and test prep than DMU, though I don't lean either way on this. I think the clinical rotations might be the tipping point for me, though. KCU has far-flung clinical sites across the country, and I don't like the idea of potentially packing up my stuff and sauntering off all the way to Mississippi or Colorado. At least almost all of DMU's sites are in the Midwest. Yes, there is a site in San Antonio, and I don't particularly lean on potentially going to TX for that (unless one of two certain schools in Dallas or Edinburg would take me off their WL :shifty:), but I'll count on that not happening.
Per current students on the KCU page, the vast majority of students do their rotations in or near KC and it is actually quite difficult to lock in a clerkship at the CO, CA, and TX sites.

Members don't see this ad :)

I’m from Kansas City and I go to DMU currently, both cities are great places to live. There is plenty to do in both, KC is much larger however and it’s noticeable. Things in Des Moines are a bit calmer, which is nice during med school in my opinion. DMU is in a very safe part of town, compared to KCU which is not. Also in terms of rotations, if you don’t want to go somewhere further away you typically won’t. Lots of people who are originally from those areas, such as TX which you mentioned, are vying for those spots and will the ones to get them. With DMU at least, most people stay to rotate in Des Moines, but yes there are spots all throughout Iowa and the midwest!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Does anyone know how soon we have to get an IA driver's license and IA license plates after moving?

@Chibucks15

Does anyone know how soon we have to get an IA driver's license and IA license plates after moving?

@Chibucks15
Iowa does not require students from out of state to obtain an Iowa driver's license/plates! You can find this info on the Iowa DOT website

@Chibucks15
I'm starting 4th year and still haven't fully gotten all that stuff it doesn't matter. I'm technically an Iowa resident though and was on medicaid for a bit for last year to save some money, just had to provide a couple bills in my name to my address here

I'm starting 4th year and still haven't fully gotten all that stuff it doesn't matter. I'm technically an Iowa resident though and was on medicaid for a bit for last year to save some money, just had to provide a couple bills in my name to my address here

I was thinking about getting to it next year. I won’t move to Des Moines until middle of July (might be too late for Medicaid waiver) but will likely apply for Medicaid M2 to save some money.

I was thinking about getting to it next year. I won’t move to Des Moines until middle of July (might be too late for Medicaid waiver) but will likely apply for Medicaid M2 to save some money.
Double check its still possible. There's a chance they changed things due to policy coverage, etc. Also you can't use it for third or fourth year unless you stay in Iowa because it doesn't transfer states

Double check its still possible. There's a chance they changed things due to policy coverage, etc. Also you can't use it for third or fourth year unless you stay in Iowa because it doesn't transfer states

Just means I'll have to stay in Iowa :)

Are there any drawbacks to giving up your home-state residency? I've never left California, so never had to think about it. Not sure if it's relevant, but I do (at least now) hope to return and practice in California.

How's everyone's housing search going? Anyone commit yet?

Are there any drawbacks to giving up your home-state residency? I've never left California, so never had to think about it. Not sure if it's relevant, but I do (at least now) hope to return and practice in California.

Most likely signing a lease tomorrow. Just waiting for approval. To remain anonymous, I won't say which apartment complex it is, but it's near downtown. Google says 10 minute drive, but I doubt that. Roughly 2 miles away from campus.

I'll try for 3000 Grand next year I guess.

Most likely signing a lease tomorrow. Just waiting for approval. To remain anonymous, I won't say which apartment complex it is, but it's near downtown. Google says 10 minute drive, but I doubt that. Roughly 2 miles away from campus.

I'll try for 3000 Grand next year I guess.

Was wondering if I was jumping the gun on thinking about signing so early. Hoping I secure this place!

Just signed this morning, about 8 mins drive to campus :)

Was wondering if I was jumping the gun on thinking about signing so early. Hoping I secure this place!
Nah dude. All the places near campus are full/nearly full. A lot of the people on FB seem to have found a place already.

Eh being from Cali id keep it. I kept Illinois and it really doesn’t affect you one way or the other. You’re still a “student” so it’s just like undergrad

For anyone that has gotten accepted off the WL, does the phone call come from the admissions office phone number? Do they leave a voicemail if you don't answer, or just send you the email?

I was just accepted off the waitlist! First quartile and non-HP.

Are there any current students I could DM with some questions.?

Reactions: 5 users
For anyone that has gotten accepted off the WL, does the phone call come from the admissions office phone number? Do they leave a voicemail if you don't answer, or just send you the email?
I missed my call and they left a voicemail.

I was just accepted off the waitlist! First quartile and non-HP.

Are there any current students I could DM with some questions.?

Congrats! Not a current student, but definitely check out the DO curriculum page on dmu.edu to see what our block schedule is looking like. The Facebook page is this. If you're thinking about living with a roommate, there are people looking there. Otherwise, hit up the usual valleys to start looking for housing. See you next month :)

Congrats! Not a current student, but definitely check out the DO curriculum page on dmu.edu to see what our block schedule is looking like. The Facebook page is this. If you're thinking about living with a roommate, there are people looking there. Otherwise, hit up the usual valleys to start looking for housing. See you next month :)
We also have a new GroupMe that was started yesterday and has been quite active! Y'all should both join! The link was posted on FB.

Reactions: 2 users
We also have a new GroupMe that was started yesterday and has been quite active! Y'all should both join! The link was posted on FB.

Didn't know about that, I'll check it out. Thanks tangos!

Does anyone know any good spots to live that are left? I need to get serious about finding a place to live. I don't think I am going to get off the waitlist at my top choice school.

Looks like there have been at least 10 acceptances off the waitlist so far (that's just what was posted in this forum) since May 6th. I think 3 or 4 of them were high priority. Anyone have any idea as to how many are on the waitlist and the size of the first quartile? Hoping they'll get to the second quartile! :)

Does anyone know any good spots to live that are left? I need to get serious about finding a place to live. I don't think I am going to get off the waitlist at my top choice school.
Depends what you mean by good. Its a city so there's housing everywhere depending on what you wanna spend/location. As always I'm around for questions

Depends what you mean by good. Its a city so there's housing everywhere depending on what you wanna spend/location. As always I'm around for questions

Close to campus, less than 10 minute drive and don’t want to spend more than $1000 per month. And I would like to be around other students too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close to campus, less than 10 minute drive and don’t want to spend more than $1000 per month. And I would like to be around other students too.

eh maybe you can get 2/3 of that list honestly at this point. Google is your friend idk students live all over

You familiar with Jackson crossing? I heard that is a decent area.

Its fine, kinda far from any walkable bars or anything. I don't know anyone who lives there but its a newer complex. Most 4th years live around campus, downtown, and in WDM

Its fine, kinda far from any walkable bars or anything. I don't know anyone who lives there but its a newer complex. Most 4th years live around campus, downtown, and in WDM

Hey @Chibucks15 , what do you think about the North of Grand/Woodland Heights area? I know it's pretty close to campus and from what I can tell, it looks to be very family oriented. Hoping to be biking in on most days and maybe walk or drive on those especially rainy/snowy days.

Hey @Chibucks15 , what do you think about the North of Grand/Woodland Heights area? I know it's pretty close to campus and from what I can tell, it looks to be very family oriented. Hoping to be biking in on most days and maybe walk or drive on those especially rainy/snowy days.
Its fine over there for the most part. Its Des Moines its fine everywhere besides MAYBE small areas. If you wanna PM me more specific locations I'll know a bit better

Forest Avenue Village near Drake might be a good fit for you. I was looking at it but signed elsewhere.

Looks like there have been at least 10 acceptances off the waitlist so far (that's just what was posted in this forum) since May 6th. I think 3 or 4 of them were high priority. Anyone have any idea as to how many are on the waitlist and the size of the first quartile? Hoping they'll get to the second quartile! :)
Have you looked at previous years threads? You can probably gauge how far we may get based on the number of acceptances they had around this time.

I emailed Anna Cruz last week and she said that there was still a large percentage of 1st quartile that had not been accepted. It sounds like she expected more movement though. I'm in the same boat as you as I'm in the 2nd quartile as well. My guess is they're through the HP 1st quartile acceptances and now moving through the non HP 1st quartile. I have no idea what the sizes of the quartiles are though. I doubt they're allowed to disclose that information to students on the waitlist but it never hurts to ask, right?

Reactions: 3 users