Einstein vs USF (Want to be an ortho surgeon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almo0318

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been admitted into USF and could potentially be accepted into Einstein also (for the sake of this thread lets assume I have been accepted). I know that I want to be an orthopedic surgeon. My question is does the medical school I attend really effect my chances of being competitive? Here are the pros and cons. I would like some outside opinion. Cost is a big factor for me.

USF
-close by (no moving cost)
-avg cost $56k a year (potentially less because I am familiar with real estate down here)
-a couple ortho matches (average residency programs)

Einstein
-moving to the Bronx (expensive move and down grade in living conditions)
-avg cost $70k a year (give or take 5k)
- amazing matches in ortho to highly competitive residencies
-pass/fail grading system

Members don't see this ad.

They are both midtiers so cheaper the better. I would choose usf. Only top 30 schools reputation help you on your res match

Einstein is not Columbia, weil cornell, or icahn

Last edited:
Go wherever you feel you would be happiest. The compatibility between you and the personality of the school is a very large factor in determining success and mental/emotional stability that many people overlook for the sake of cold numbers. If you're happy at your school, you will perform and learn better than if you're unhappy.

Also, your speciality goals can change at any moment. You may find you hate what you know you want to do now, or you might find a field you love even more than the one you were absolutely sure you wanted to go into before med school. There's also the fact that your Step 1 score will be the biggest determinant for matching into anything like ortho, which school rank cannot determine. Don't weigh the fine details of a school's match rate too heavily, just look for a strong overall match vs. an average vs. a weak match.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They are both midtiers so cheaper the better. I would choose usf. Only top 30 schools reputation help you on your res match

Einstein is not Columbia, weil cornell, or icahn

Even though Einstein is ranked #34 while USF is #74? (the rankings might not be exact but there is a large difference in ranking between the two)

Just to clarify your question - you want to match into ortho. Should you go to the school that produces a lot of top tier ortho matches, or the one that once in awhile matches a middle of the road program.

Seems like a difficult question.

Just to clarify your question - you want to match into ortho. Should you go to the school that produces a lot of top tier ortho matches, or the one that once in awhile matches a middle of the road program.

Seems like a difficult question.

I know it seems intuitive to pick Einstein but it is much more expensive and I was wondering if I would have the same odds at either school as long as I worked hard. I am confident in my ability I am just unaware of how much school name plays into residency options. Also, Do high end residencies highly correlate with success in the field? Or is it less about which residency program and more about just landing the specialty and making your own path from there?

I know it seems intuitive to pick Einstein but it is much more expensive and I was wondering if I would have the same odds at either school as long as I worked hard. I am confident in my ability I am just unaware of how much school name plays into residency options. Also, Do high end residencies highly correlate with success in the field? Or is it less about which residency program and more about just landing the specialty and making your own path from there?

"odds" are a difficult to quantify thing. Can you match into a top tier program from any US med school? Sure, theoretically. Is it as difficult coming from a top 10 school? No. Obviously your choice is somewhere in between. But yes school name does matter to an extent.

Same with your question about high end residency correlating with success. If you want to be a program chair yeah it probably helps. If you want to make a ton of money by being the fastest hip replacement guy in the region, no.

"odds" are a difficult to quantify thing. Can you match into a top tier program from any US med school? Sure, theoretically. Is it as difficult coming from a top 10 school? No. Obviously your choice is somewhere in between. But yes school name does matter to an extent.

Same with your question about high end residency correlating with success. If you want to be a program chair yeah it probably helps. If you want to make a ton of money by being the fastest hip replacement guy in the region, no.

I just want to be the best at what I do. I figure the money and respect from peers will come later after I prove myself. Thanks for the advice.

Where do you think you would be the happiest given the locations, prices, and cultures of the schools? What would you pick if you didn’t look at the match lists?

Einstein is the "better" program (as in better for getting you to top academic programs), but I would go USF. USF has a lot of people going their home programs, so you can network your way there. If you end up loving a non-ortho specialty in the future, you are going to appreciate saving that $100K