England - Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm late I'm late but some of my baking offerings from the past year:

PXL_20210404_190732239.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210124_162152419.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201031_231007025.jpg

PXL_20201229_042608332.jpg

20200819_225402.jpg

20200628_210430.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Write up still in progress, but posting the technical so people have all day to do it should they wish to.

14 times Mel and Sue were the best thing to happen to GBBO | Mel and sue,  British bake off, Sue perkins

The bakers, living and ghostly, were astonished at how slowly Paul and Mary were making their way around to sample the signature bakes. Frustrated, Sue and Mel took matters into their own hands, moving the signature bakes into a separate tent for Paul and Mary to continue their evaluations while allowing the group of contestants to begin working on the technical challenge.

"Bakers, here is your test. At your station, you will find a recipe. You are to make this recipe and at the end, your baked creation will be evaluated by those picky rascals in the other tent right now. We cannot help you with your bake (nor would you want our help), but if you need assistance interpreting the handwriting, we may offer that.

WW Technical Challenge ROTATED.jpg

You have until 9 PM CDT (10 PM EDT/7 PM fantasyland) to complete this technical challenge.

On your marks, get set, BAKE!"

Signature challenge write up will be posted as soon as it is finished. Bakers are reminded that signature challenges just get comments, not a declared winner. shorty & Pippy are not responsible for providing ingredients for the technical challenge. Any handwriting complaints will be directed to the great beyond.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is being almost as slow and laggy as Paul and Mary this morning.

If anyone else is having trouble loading the image for the technical's recipe, let me know.

Reactions: 1 users
Write up still in progress, but posting the technical so people have all day to do it should they wish to.

14 times Mel and Sue were the best thing to happen to GBBO | Mel and sue,  British bake off, Sue perkins

The bakers, living and ghostly, were astonished at how slowly Paul and Mary were making their way around to sample the signature bakes. Frustrated, Sue and Mel took matters into their own hands, moving the signature bakes into a separate tent for Paul and Mary to continue their evaluations while allowing the group of contestants to begin working on the technical challenge.

"Bakers, here is your test. At your station, you will find a recipe. You are to make this recipe and at the end, your baked creation will be evaluated by those picky rascals in the other tent right now. We cannot help you with your bake (nor would you want our help), but if you need assistance interpreting the handwriting, we may offer that.

View attachment 334923

You have until 7 PM CDT (8 PM EDT/5 PM fantasyland) to complete this technical challenge.

Signature challenge write up will be posted as soon as it is finished. Bakers are reminded that signature challenges just get comments, not a declared winner. shorty & Pippy are not responsible for providing ingredients for the technical challenge. Any handwriting complaints will be directed to the great beyond.
Do I get disqualified if I don’t bake this lol
I don’t have time today!!!

Reactions: 1 user

View attachment 334923

You have until 7 PM CDT (8 PM EDT/5 PM fantasyland) to complete this technical challenge.

1. I would never have self-rising flour in my house.

2. I'm at work until 7pm EST and wont be home until 7:30 EST. These *aint* getting made

3. I like the spirit of this

Reactions: 6 users
Okay still going to post my bakings even though it past due, I thought baking ended later today...

View attachment 334907Baked these Tuesday night and the are now basically gone, pretty much heaven on earth
View attachment 334908
Some homemade lasagna and garlic bread, made it a few weeks ago and it was super delicious!
View attachment 334909
At the end of my internship this past summer, the place I was at had a going away party and one of the people I worked a lot with made this super delicious and cute chocolate cake
I’ll offer to judge the oatmeal caramel bars since I’m currently eating one..... I say 11/10

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
No, I understand time limitations. I'm having to be kind of flexible with judging criteria too :laugh:
As an alternative I present the following
06BF802B-7F04-4447-8AB4-3FF40642D774.jpeg
45E087B8-DF18-4A2A-A2D2-4BC18F2C0819.jpeg
153C3BAE-FEE1-499A-8705-9462900B13CD.jpeg
92341945-BC6D-4C0F-8F1D-F1D6FE9742F2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
those bagel buns!!! Can I get the recipe?
They were actually pretzel buns, recipe from here: Hidden Rainbow Pretzel Rolls - Rainbow Series 05 - Steve's Kitchen

They're quite a bit of work, but I find a ton of rainbow stuff ends up so freaking dull and ugly on the outside because of the baking and the wrapping really helps.

Also, 10/10 would recommend bringing into a southern conservative workplace, it got some fantastic eyerolls from my bosses. :laugh:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

View attachment 334923

You have until 9 PM CDT (10 PM EDT/7 PM fantasyland) to complete this technical challenge.

Looks like I need to pick up some self rising flour

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I have to split the write up into 2 posts because there are too many images otherwise, so here's PART 1.

Signature challenge write up:

Apester Interactive Content

The bakers didn’t remember judging for the signature challenge taking so long in previous seasons of Bake-Off, but because they were already working on the technical challenge, they didn’t feel the same degree of anxiety waiting to hear the judges’ comments. They also didn’t have time to heckle the judges for deliberating for so long. At the conclusion of the signature round, it was clear that this was a strong and diverse group of bakers, and the competition was fierce.

For organization’s sake, the judges’ comments on the various entries have been grouped into the spoilers below (because this write up was 15 pages on Google Docs and that would be nightmarish to scroll through).

DpY0uDuhhK8W6nHIPuF2jMRk_hJau2Cl0_P3Q8sm-y6uAifvwVYMnth8YndOU6WcA9_WnrZ95OsJkLaPYvliMetfUh061Av1t0VhpAn-shw1SjrwfdrM63XNY8xcY9ZMupLjtJak

A less traditional entry into the Signature Bake awaited Paul and Mary at genny’s bench. genny’s 2 components were among those smuggled into The Tent from outside, and therefore were not considered for judging. However, neither Paul nor Mary could resist a good Scotch egg, especially not one cooked so well as seen in genny’s cross-sectioned presentation. They remarked on the high quality of the accompanying chicken curry, although noted that were this bake(?) being fully considered, it would not receive high marks for presentation.

rZXebpl-iwUhwiYr2BxC__Ks8q-ReDTRGtnsNP9LBizyoU6m6HDrdG-QGBAHT5171T0xrLh3LC4NLZLvsqbsdfloHD0AVygaSaMdyr-oCN57jEMFG2FW7QsooXT4DVrNG7qGQ9Ei

The rainbow sponge cake stood out among the fake bakes. Paul leveled his steely gaze on sunny and coolly asked “did you bake this?” “Well, someone baked it,” she responded. He chuckled, but the smile never reached his eyes. “Oooh, I just love how colorful this is!” exclaimed Mel. The colors stood out against the clear plastic backdrop. Mary was studying the texture of the sponge layers. “Well, it’s a lovely sponge,” she remarked to sunny with a smile. “Unfortunately, I can’t tell if this cake had a soggy bottom or not - the bottom of the slice seems to be quite thin, and I don’t know if it’s been cut to remove a soggy bottom, or if you just got a little hungry,” she said with a wink.

rxRkzkl7tUMaB9Z_5khImPmTOvCnmwMV0hz1ywUI6iqeF5QqHLsS-CkPdrwBgZMMhh-5RmwTbdTFk2F4evc_4xHtAN4PRQgmJ5HTNkM4h3FFOOmM60CkDPLD1duA6aP8VmIplAiw

“Well, this is truly impressive!” Mary exclaimed as she took in the detail of the cake at capri’s bench. Although she didn’t advertise it, Mary was an avid fan of Among Us and played weekly with her bridge club. Paul’s hobby as a ruthless impostor had been under wraps, but none of the contestants were surprised to find out about it (in fact, there was some speculation among the bakers that Paul was actually Stroganoff because they both have a penchant for punching the kill button as soon as possible). While capri’s entry was indeed spectacular, the minimal details about the cake’s composition, paired with her admitting that she wasn’t the one to make it, meant that her chances for Star Baker were not as high as she’d hoped.

3-trsWGSucCn0-f87INVgCXgw7hnJ0zrAwj_6ziBXnSi3_ndOWlEQegFbB-Rw825PCcTLxvH6aFV-IxPFNqv37QERWOCdW3pkQ_6EJhwItusd03y1ddWjS72CKb5-ScWdTbB62rD

Paul had nothing to say to Dr. ForgotToFlush about this entry. He didn’t even stop at the bench, just glanced at it, shook his head, and walked away. Mary gave him a pitying look as she walked past. “Cheer up, young lad” said Mel, “at least you’ve still got all of your treats to eat for yourself instead of having to share them with Mary and Paul!” (idk why this image keeps rotating like this but w/e)

nUIumial0qkciM_cef4_dTMH0g0k2fGQSBFSVx4bP35uIbPK458pR5LKjhx3rt5hHiEIHivtV8HkSGjQoBAxefXOgWRiHVR-UXV3o8oTs0VFdWYU225p0ByoxeHA2kbj-xivGEhG

samac was on her only break for the day and was snacking on some of her chips when Paul and Mary made their way over. “I’m sorry, I’ve been busy at the hospital all day, and this was the only thing I’ve had to eat.” Mary gently patted her shoulder and told her not to worry, they’d let her have some of the samples from the other contestants’ bakes. Because nothing in samac’s takeaway tray was baked, it wasn’t considered for judging and she was not in the running for Star Baker.

• Love
  • Angry
Reactions: 9 users
WRITE UP PART 2

AG5MlYwwUc4enYqWDlpsulzsevihBpb_-IrmCxss8Dhgga-SPkWfIA7GRfum8QI9ESCPUosupz7Z9tkajb3Za16FjL_GdSlCle2uE9oRuycxOi4uZI4TQAAohbQwa7sH_A5q9tyl

First among the cakes to be judged was this layered chocolate cake with a chocolate filling (exact composition a trade secret) and vanilla buttercream frosting. “The piping is quite nice for an amateur baker, I think” remarked Mary to Paul. Paul’s face was unreadable. After an uncomfortably long silence where he stared alissa14 down, he sampled the slice he’d cut, before placing it back on the bench. “How do you think your mum would feel about this cake?” he asked alissa. “My mom loves this cake,” she replied. “I’m with your mum!” commented Sue, who’d stolen a bite of her own. Mel was busying herself with sampling the extra frosting alissa had left over, pausing only to ask if it was going to turn her tongue blue. Paul gave alissa another hard look before walking away without offering any comments of his own.

TrkafdodSgRnFXcVlFftuQsILn1FDO1nTrpGVtA800ekVkx91th_pzGLBp3QV7-6kEm4QuNqbo8d_sZ30tp7UeVzr8qwW3UsZ2YBgtOi1zPhoVHCf-e2FDyp2GtiYWeYEo_BAr-G

“You know, most people make 2 or 3 kinds of biscuit if they choose to go that route for the signature,” Paul said to DocE while looking at the platter with a wide variety of treats on it. “I’m not most people,” DocE said. Paul and Mary noted that while the presentation of the platter was a bit haphazard, the sheer number of biscuits (and biscuit types) was sufficiently beyond what they expected, and Paul grudgingly admitted that he was impressed. DocE had thrown a curveball with his baked salmon dish that accompanied the biscuit platter, but this signature bake had put him as one of the contenders for Star Baker.

C3rsR36BwqFNz92t_d8G6AuTLGwjvb-NjhoDQK3rkPedhkNBseE7bRG4w94T2cbeYIlWXYXZdSLP_PguOSJj9wb1wYlc9wips6XGs-IQna951iN2DORLidq--7JMjbvhzaYlmscU

“Now this is the kind of baking we were thinking of for the signature bake!” Mary said cheerfully as she sampled a bite of Crayola227’s Gugaloff. The lemony flavor was punctuated by the occasional raisin. Paul and Mary praised how the cake-like bread was dense, but not stodgy, and had an excellent crumb structure. The browning on the top of the bake was picture-perfect. The only regret of the 2 judges was that they couldn’t eat the entire thing at once. Cray was another in the hunt for Star Baker.

TSSEr0cnwdOUCBrsc9ibic6Q_zUvKU923uaIgQUuO0KouzPxoxwWNB2jR49rV6GylUjtsBe5vn-ztaFKu8dw03S9zaUDX1bKrJFyIOGCLJ6fYtOBpi0_cNdhuWzqMTXmEsSfI2SM

Cyndia’s miniature pavlovas stood out in the tent. From their presentation with smatterings of fresh berries to the chocolate work, both Paul and Mary were astounded. “Are you sure you’ve only been baking for a year?” Paul asked Cyndia. “That’s correct!” she replied. Somewhere in the background, Zenge142 was heard muttering “she’s a ringer” under his breath. Neither Paul nor Mary had much to critique, and applause rang out through the tent as Cyndia received the first handshake of the season. “Really well done,” Paul commented. Cyndia smiled, knowing she was heading into the technical as a top contender for Star Baker.

iEavZMnUJTHv2nsnejOclWVYPX5_a5us1JAc7RBim6XUdr-K8L8T2x_B6o5B_EuMM4VSpzw7Dl6moBXr7p3BibFq_MTrLC4GXonVUbnpbSMReq81Vy-4IDLE90x3uUga-qXxd58l

Although vetmedhead had commented about baking a bad attitude, that sounded like it was still an on-going project and wasn’t ready for evaluation yet. Paul and Mary decided to focus on the Bundt cake in front of them. The crumb structure was outstanding, and the color of the bake indicated it was cooked evenly and all the way through. “Lemon poppyseed is my favorite,” Mary said happily. “It’s a lovely bake.” The competition was fierce, but vetmedhead had made a solid impression and the judges looked forward to seeing what else she produced in her quest for Star Baker.

fG-Z5eaaeyBrUJb1xdlY3KfClSpPMaTMKeesI5OzD1kIP8hxC8aY8tXT448IR9l-lp8oWE6zBrEdx1BLZyMJ9UqhcdeCajwQ721BAP4KSWWQiqVvoB6l-i2p3j65MDEwE-nMWHHJ

Paul and Mary weren’t sure if PippyPony was really entering the Bake Off or not, as she was sitting by the entrance to the tent eating brownies straight out of the pan and frosting them with a spoon. “Externships, am I right,” Pippy said with exhaustion. She’d been eating brownies for breakfast for the past week and was getting a little tired of them, although no one can truly get tired of brownies.

t6DQ-sDekrDDvHSSjobq2Bbg2CH22I1vyEmrvarS-gLTkCwKrW_QKrzUjk15a_NxuRQIm_0o9GlrSdPECwNSCBa3xC96uVI_UYIS07CVJNVdY9zA3DcdqI2jQkUDZOVzjqcWeNJr

“sunny, where were you hiding this before?” Sue asked as the group passed sunshinefl’s bench and discovered another cake had appeared. This one wasn’t in a plastic takeaway container and appeared to have actually been baked by sunny. “Forgot it in my bag,” sunny said. Paul and Mary complimented the vivid colors and the piping work, but wished they had more information about what kind of cake it was.

M3TbdWbNvDd-YeX9sVqItC3cqMZOIsvJSOa-fJN91V1aKGRIOdJGAVx5FYn5j8ajvI6Djd3_VlNy6SIB4JpVYg7E1Ik97qffC2f6TlWD9fXvdmbfczO73Uj6VASJbT2A6fLJ2sjd

TelemarketingEnigma had multiple items at her bench, but hadn’t indicated which one(s) she wanted to have judged, and Paul and Mary were starting to get antsy about not having the write up posted in a timely fashion. They RNGed which picture they would judge, and landed on this grape pie, which was lauded for its decorative crust. Grape pie wasn’t something either Paul or Mary had seen a lot of, but after seeing TME’s, they were looking forward to making their own versions.

0qSy2Px2R1fWBE2TAPLw2dCGM_AdEzKycjoKe9BFmvG40RuA_172lj30R2GnfTDj-Nhw_Xv5gxOQuQRSZLWHgwtSjI9k4u3L7o6g1ffeIfp0Cm4rufS5Bc3L4FVh38Fs2IyqWK1k

“These are quite different from what we typically see on Bake Off!” Mary exclaimed as she and Paul came around to some of the work of DocE and WonderingStudent. “I suppose they are baked, though. Leave it to DocE to be unconventional.” DocE’s paprika & saffron salmon was a mouthwatering entry, and Paul and Mary were very curious about what the sauce on top of the salmon was. “I do hope they’ll share their recipes with the other contestants,” Mary commented. It was a self-serving thing to say; she really hoped to acquire the recipes herself, and really didn’t care if the amateur bakers got them or not.

X01Mnhdh3sxfWZGXgQn5ZJCWazcnmUFX5VX5kXnSOFhNkLXD9rNSQnsnPF_KFdIx2cJ8IabNmDQlL4Fy4m2YB6lZXWz6j8OPKhw_2d-5b5bThewPymD030A1fCwhnLU80inknMsM

“I don’t think we’ve ever had an eggplant parmesan submission to Bake Off before, do you?” Mary asked Paul as they sampled WonderingStudent’s dish. “No, we haven’t.” Paul responded curtly. “I grew the eggplant and basil myself!” Wonder said proudly. “It’s a bit simple,” Paul said, suppressing a chuckle at the outrage on Wonder’s face. “I’m joking. Well done.”

With Paul and Mary's comments now in hand, the bakers were able to fully focus on their day jobs the technical challenge, a traditional British scone. With hours left to go, the tension in the tent was relatively low, but everyone knew it would pick up as the clock ticked down and Mel or Sue announced the remaining time.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
OMG
I just put an offer in on a house.
Who wants a drink?
I need a drink

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not my submission, and please no quotes etc because these creations aren't mine, but...

Part 1
blueberry bear cake.jpeg
blueberry cake inside.jpeg
blueberry cookies 2.jpeg
christmas cookies 1.png
christmas cookies 2.png

and yes those were hand-painted with icing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Attachments

• blueberry cookies.png
    blueberry cookies.png
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • Wow
  • Love
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not my submission, and please no quotes etc because these creations aren't mine, but...

Part 2
coast guard cookies.png
cookie monster moose.png
buche de noel.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Love
  • Wow
59CE4B0B-5249-4810-AFA8-609031901DC4.jpeg

I’ve never made British scones before so idk if I did it right but they came out tasty! I had to make some creative substitutions because I was missing ingredients (there’s coconut milk instead of real milk lol) but it seemed to work out okay. Made it a timed challenged by trying to make them in the gap between zoom classes. Somehow set off the fire alarm in the process (despite no fire?) and then burned myself on the hot tray while racing to shut off the alarm... worth it

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Important scone serving detail:

add:
- clotted cream
- strawberry jam
in that order.​
Dartmoor cream tea (perfect presentation -- minus the dried fruit in the scones which is an abomination...hope none of you fell into that trap!)

how to eat a cream tea (this article is mostly acceptable but appears to be confused/wrong about whipped cream. clotted cream >>>> whipped)

fun debate (I land on the side of cream first; just makes sense to me, the same way you put mayo directly on the bread for a sandwich)

^Edit to add: the comments on that second article are really funny. Example:
"'How to Eat is our attempt to settle on the ideal form of classic dishes. The aim is not to establish rules, but to identify an informal code of good gastronomic conduct and have some fun while we're doing it'

It's all fun and games until someone puts ANYTHING OTHER THAN CLOTTED CREAM on a scone. BURN THEM AT THE STAKE"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
I was not convinced these would turn out, but they are in fact delicious!
D148E289-E9B0-4BCD-8073-2FFBB85BBB51.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember one post ago when I said these should only be served with clotted cream --> jam, and tea?

PXL_20210415_222932905.PORTRAIT~3.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
BAKERS: you have just over 3 hours remaining in your technical challenge.

Also, if you have a few minutes and need a laugh, James Acaster and David Mitchell's appearances on Bake Off are some of my favorite moments.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
GQ Tumblr | London city, London sights, London love

I'm the one falling down

The guard is changing back.
Voting is reopened and the reins have been handed back to @PippyPony now that her externship project is done (woohoo!)!

Here's the most recent tally if you need a reminder:

Day Nine - Atop Glastonbury Tor - Vote Tally

LIS (5)
- Dina, Barks, mayo, samac, Cyndia
samac () -
Barks () -
Cyndia (1) - LetItSnow

@LetItSnow you are in the lead.
6/6 players voting, y'all rock.

• Love
Darn, I was really hoping to get to make scones but the night got away from me :( also I def don’t have self rising flour in the house either haha.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
11 reasons the Great British Bake Off will not be the same without Mel and  Sue

“What an unusual season of Bake Off,” Sue and Mel agreed as they looked at the judging table, where 2 plates of scones awaited the judges. “This is the first time where contestants have been able to opt out of the technical - or forgotten to submit their bakes for the signature challenge!”

“Well, you know, 2020 was very unusual, and that’s rolling over into 2021. Let’s get on with the judging!”

Paul and Mary entered the tent and spent a few moments studying the 2 plates of scones. They were suitably chuffed by the quality given how little time the bakers had to make a recipe unfamiliar to them, and only the finest of details could separate the two.

“This was a very difficult decision. Both bakers did a simply wonderful job with these scones; they’re not stodgy or dry, the bake is lovely, and they’re baked through.”

Ultimately, though, the superior crumb structure of TelemarketingEnigma’s scones just squeaked past Doggo Labs’ (Mary also wondered what had happened to the remainder of Doggo’s scones, as she presented fewer than TME; it turned out that she sampled them when they came out of the oven and found them irresistible).

P3gzrYazfpV9CZNVR_rwRs1SqaOw3fGB1z9vz8jfLFJW5DCsGm2R6rhX8LPbyyT8rV8bgRqDSfmlumb2cyTessRZHtNHzrgvfM_Yb98XS8AqvLPxf95ZZNEc4eSBHCXXA4LXqdDf

Congrats to @TelemarketingEnigma, the winner of the technical challenge!

Final BBake-Off write up pending.

• Love
  • Hmm