England - Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not true at all in practice (and especially not last game). I've never once seen village win a game where people intentionally hide their village reads unless it was a broken setup that requires zero thinking like follow the cop.

I can't think of one player in that didn't share village reads in Bioshock. You even got yeeted that last day because your own POE was so unaligned with everyone else's.
As the mod of numerous games which, I am blessed to say, are nearly all considered excellent... I don't think it's a quirk of my game design that the only ones the villagers lost are the ones where they made early game strategy super easy for the wolves by giving away their suspicion list. Wolves were leaning on that suspicion list the whole game.

Look at protoman. They set up one of their wolves because people were saying before the game even began they were always suspicious of the person. They converted the mayor the round after everyone came out in mass to defend them against a random lunch vote (admittedly this was not early game). And they kept pressure up on one person the whole game under the auspices of "this person keeps escaping lunch vote since day 1". And it was megaman in a megaman themed game.

Seen similar stuff in pretty much every game I modded to be honest. Remembering nutmeg literally ruining WW for his wife carbon by being the wolf and the highest suspected person from day 1 and timing a seer VERY well on day 2 so he seered clean and no one ever questioned him again. Won that game too.

I honestly would be lying if I didn't say that I've also seen the wolves pounce on a list of suspicions and then squander that list. I feel like a list of suspicions definitely has a place in the game. 100%. But it involves nuance. Villagers have to communicate. But everything they say is useful to the wolves as well, PARTICULARLY early in the game. Being a mod x like 10 makes you very aware of just how much wolves succeed work using that info early and suffer from it late. But if they can use it very early to get everyone to give them a pass* - then you'll never look into them hard enough again.

*Thinking about the brilliance that was "the baker" from WW All-Stars. A wolf had a power to "tweak" rules in the game and after completely lying that they are "the baker" they used their power to create an item that did nothing called "bread" All because everyone kept calling them out early in the game and they decided to be like "didn't anyone get bread yet? That's from me! It protects you from death!". and I would just give the bread to a person who they knew they were not going to kill that night and who would not get lynched either. All of this because they knew everyone was inherently suspicious of them before they even opened their mouth to post

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
As the mod of numerous games which, I am blessed to say, are nearly all considered excellent... I don't think it's a quirk of my game design that the only ones the villagers lost are the ones where they made early game strategy super easy for the wolves by giving away their suspicion list. Wolves were leaning on that suspicion list the whole game.

Look at protoman. They set up one of their wolves because people were saying before the game even began they were always suspicious of the person. They converted the mayor the round after everyone came out in mass to defend them against a random lunch vote (admittedly this was not early game). And they kept pressure up on one person the whole game under the auspices of "this person keeps escaping lunch vote since day 1". And it was megaman in a megaman themed game.

Seen similar stuff in pretty much every game I modded to be honest. Remembering nutmeg literally ruining WW for his wife carbon by being the wolf and the highest suspected person from day 1 and timing a seer VERY well on day 2 so he seered clean and no one ever questioned him again. Won that game too.

I honestly would be lying if I didn't say that I've also seen the wolves pounce on a list of suspicions and then squander that list. I feel like a list of suspicions definitely has a place in the game. 100%. But it involves nuance. Villagers have to communicate. But everything they say is useful to the wolves as well, PARTICULARLY early in the game. Being a mod x like 10 makes you very aware of just how much wolves succeed work using that info early and suffer from it late. But if they can use it very early to get everyone to give them a pass* - then you'll never look into them hard enough again.

*Thinking about the brilliance that was "the baker" from WW All-Stars. A wolf had a power to "tweak" rules in the game and after completely lying that they are "the baker" they used their power to create an item that did nothing called "bread" All because everyone kept calling them out early in the game and they decided to be like "didn't anyone get bread yet? That's from me! It protects you from death!". and I would just give the bread to a person who they knew they were not going to kill that night and who would not get lynched either. All of this because they knew everyone was inherently suspicious of them before they even opened their mouth to post
The problems here lie in the usual fallacy of PR dependency. You should never expect a PR (especially a seer of all roles) to solve/save the game for you in a game where conversions and godfather-type roles are concerned. Even in a simple game it's very iffy without proper village thread efforts. Blindly believing mechanics when threadposts indicate otherwise deserves a loss.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean it just felt like a weird question
If the sherrif of Nottingham is in this game and isn’t a wolf I’ll eat my left shoe.
I wrote this last night and didn't want to post it until the morning. It's not technically the morning in the game yet, but here you are bringing it back up so I'll post it (essentially) unedited as I planned to below:

Interesting. Sat on this until morning. But my role is extremely literal and is an actual person. Some of the roles being Disney cartoons is odd. Though yes, I did see cartoon Robinhood being used in the write up, it does seem very very odd. I could see the kill being the cartoon as a stylistic decision by the mod for the write up but do find it odd for the ACTUAL ROLES to be cartoons given I am a literal human (and these robin hood roles, though mythical, were actual people). And I'm saying this despite some mod talk about druids and such. Druids still feels more real than people literally being cartoons and the mod leaking out a hint overnight (from the reported info given about the steal) that there are literal cartoon roles that did something. To give away: what the role is, that the role is a cartoon, and what the role does.... And to have the placement of characters be tied to their role... Just seems extra unlikely to give *that* much away on multiple levels from the mod.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The problems here lie in the usual fallacy of PR dependency. You should never expect a PR (especially a seer of all roles) to solve/save the game for you in a game where conversions and godfather-type roles are concerned. Even in a simple game it's very iffy without proper village thread efforts. Blindly believing mechanics when threadposts indicate otherwise deserves a loss.
PR- player role? It was not on the list and neither is vig/vigging. Thanks and please proceed. (I have tried to see the words multiple times before asking and inundating you with Q's)

The cynical answer is this. A lot of people are actually not as good as they think they are. A lot of people are highly reliant on seers. But it doesn't change the fact that what I said above is also true and that All the suspicion in the world that you might hold is going to disappear almost immediately for multiple rounds if someone comes by and says "oh I seered them clean." People being reliant on that particular role is sort of a separate issue, and is inherently baked into the game, from the fact that how much information to share publicly is a balancing act and a push to share lots of information EARLY is just a very pro-wolf move. If you disagree, statistically you're wrong but anecdotally you may have good evidence in specific experiences you've had. I'm not going to discount that you may have found success in it. It's not like it can only be bad and there's no way it can be good.

Reactions: 1 user
PR- player role? It was not on the list and neither is vig/vigging. Thanks and please proceed. (I have tried to see the words multiple times before asking and inundating you with Q's)
Power Role. Just another term for having an ability.

Vig is short for vigilante. Someone that has the ability to kill people outside of just yeet cycles.

Since we're openly tinfoiling to AM's chagrin, I'll share my concern about the teapot so we can consider it within the full picture:

I'm not convinced this the case, but I don't want to discount the possibility that SAR is the Sherriff (if he's in the game) and was openly fishing for robin hood with the teapot thing. This would assume a lot of things that may or may not be true (both characters in game, sherriff has either wolfy or individual win con reason to want to catch robin hood). I want to be clear that I'm not wolf-reading SAR because of it, but being the owner of a lost teapot, even if robin hood was involved, does not a villager or wolf make.

I'm not convinced we should yeet anyone just because of the teapot thing. but if otherwise suspicious people also happen to fit into the theory then i'm willing to go that direction. if we have stronger wolf suspicions outside that theory, we should go for those

I wrote this last night and didn't want to post it until the morning. It's not technically the morning in the game yet, but here you are bringing it back up so I'll post it (essentially) unedited as I planned to below:

Interesting. Sat on this until morning. But my role is extremely literal and is an actual person. Some of the roles being Disney cartoons is odd. Though yes, I did see cartoon Robinhood being used in the write up, it does seem very very odd. I could see the kill being the cartoon as a stylistic decision by the mod for the write up but do find it odd for the ACTUAL ROLES to be cartoons given I am a literal human (and these robin hood roles, though mythical, were actual people). And I'm saying this despite some mod talk about druids and such. Druids still feels more real than people literally being cartoons and the mod leaking out a hint overnight (from the reported info given about the steal) that there are literal cartoon roles that did something. To give away: what the role is, that the role is a cartoon, and what the role does.... And to have the placement of characters be tied to their role... Just seems extra unlikely to give *that* much away on multiple levels from the mod.
I think there are some historical figures, but I am an entirely fictional person.

The cynical answer is this. A lot of people are actually not as good as they think they are. A lot of people are highly reliant on seers. But it doesn't change the fact that what I said above is also true and that All the suspicion in the world that you might hold is going to disappear almost immediately for multiple rounds if someone comes by and says "oh I seered them clean." People being reliant on that particular role is sort of a separate issue, and is inherently baked into the game, from the fact that how much information to share publicly is a balancing act and a push to share lots of information EARLY is just a very pro-wolf move. If you disagree, statistically you're wrong but anecdotally you may have good evidence in specific experiences you've had. I'm not going to discount that you may have found success in it. It's not like it can only be bad and there's no way it can be good.
I'm aware. I'm just disappointedly noting why these were loses despite what was probably a dedicated team of players.

Proper PR breadcrumbing that also involves avoiding misclears is a separate skill that really comes in handy for combatting this, I think.

As sort of an addendum: I am in oxford and cambridge. Except for the fact that my person is a literal human from The UK, there's no specific reason that I can identify as to why they would be in Oxford Cambridge as opposed to any other area. I specifically think there's probably an area that would fit into better. People can self-reflect on if their role fits where they started. But objectively mine doesn't. And part of the prior argument was that the roles had (had? Should? Might?) Start where they historically would start.

• Hmm
Oh right, thank you for the reminder @The_Breadmann. What are your updated thoughts post-sheeping samac onto April?

Since we're openly tinfoiling to AM's chagrin, I'll share my concern about the teapot so we can consider it within the full picture:

I'm not convinced this the case, but I don't want to discount the possibility that SAR is the Sherriff (if he's in the game) and was openly fishing for robin hood with the teapot thing. This would assume a lot of things that may or may not be true (both characters in game, sherriff has either wolfy or individual win con reason to want to catch robin hood). I want to be clear that I'm not wolf-reading SAR because of it, but being the owner of a lost teapot, even if robin hood was involved, does not a villager or wolf make.

I'm not convinced we should yeet anyone just because of the teapot thing. but if otherwise suspicious people also happen to fit into the theory then i'm willing to go that direction. if we have stronger wolf suspicions outside that theory, we should go for those

Oooooooooor. Maybe she was upset someone stole her teapot?!

JC meme.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are some historical figures, but I am an entirely fictional person.

That is good to know, but I still think that the related corollary that was being made "That where we started tells us a lot about our character" needs to really be questioned with a high amount of scrutiny. just because Robin Hood happened to start in the same area where you would put Robin Hood historically doesn't mean you should expect to find the sheriff of Nottingham in the same area where you would historically expect to find them.

Now if people start identifying that all the living people came from one area, and all the mythical people came from another area, and all of the cartoon people came from another area, and all of the *fourth category* came from the last area... Then my suspicion falls apart. But my real argument is that we need to approach the idea of "rolls started where a geographically would make the most sense" with a high amount of scrutiny and skepticism. and if we are approaching with a high amount of scrutiny and skepticism then there's no reason to focus on those three people unless you have a better argument than "sheriff of Nottingham would also start in the north"

I'm also still skeptical that the mod would give away that it was literally a cartoon sheriff of Nottingham doing it. But I'm not going to pretend to be that aware of game mechanics. Just... Skeptical.

Super-hedge!

I wouldn't be surprised if the teapot belonged to King Henry or queen (which would make them historical figure or cartoon lion). Ask me all you want about Disney cartoon. When you put DW, I think DisneyWorld, not DoctorWho.

• Hmm
That is good to know, but I still think that the related corollary that was being made "That where we started tells us a lot about our character" needs to really be questioned with a high amount of scrutiny. just because Robin Hood happened to start in the same area where you would put Robin Hood historically doesn't mean you should expect to find the sheriff of Nottingham in the same area where you would historically expect to find them.

Now if people start identifying that all the living people came from one area, and all the mythical people came from another area, and all of the cartoon people came from another area, and all of the *fourth category* came from the last area... Then my suspicion falls apart. But my real argument is that we need to approach the idea of "rolls started where a geographically would make the most sense" with a high amount of scrutiny and skepticism. and if we are approaching with a high amount of scrutiny and skepticism then there's no reason to focus on those three people unless you have a better argument than "sheriff of Nottingham would also start in the north"

I'm also still skeptical that the mod would give away that it was literally a cartoon sheriff of Nottingham doing it. But I'm not going to pretend to be that aware of game mechanics. Just... Skeptical.
The whole "people's roles are related to where they start" thing is bullocks. It wouldn't make sense to put everyone where their character is from, it would just open a huge can of worms.

I don't think we have enough data points for the geographical conclusions just yet, though my role does fit in London.

Something tells me that even if we figured out that 90% of roles are hanging out where they should, there might be a couple that are somewhere else just for funsies, or because they are connected to somewhere else and we just aren't thinking of the connection.

In any case, though no one should probably take my word for it alone for obvious reasons, I do think AM is well within her village range this game and would be surprised if she's wolfing. Finn I don't have a good read on and never do this early. And I don't think SAR is faking the thieving.

Super-hedge!

I wouldn't be surprised if the teapot belonged to King Henry or queen (which would make them historical figure or cartoon lion). Ask me all you want about Disney cartoon. When you put DW, I think DisneyWorld, not DoctorWho.

The queen is probably not in this game. The whole village win con is to protect her right? It would make things a bit difficult if she was actually in the game.

• Hmm
I don't think we have enough data points for the geographical conclusions just yet, though my role does fit in London.

Something tells me that even if we figured out that 90% of roles are hanging out where they should, there might be a couple that are somewhere else just for funsies, or because they are connected to somewhere else and we just aren't thinking of the connection.

In any case, though no one should probably take my word for it alone for obvious reasons, I do think AM is well within her village range this game and would be surprised if she's wolfing. Finn I don't have a good read on and never do this early. And I don't think SAR is faking the thieving.

I think the conundrum is that most roles would fit in london. My role fits in london. and I'm not in london, i'm in oxford/cambridge which would require some exceptional stretches to say "fits" though I can make a tortuous argument for it.

I feel like @The_Breadmann is far underperforming his village meta and need him to get a bit more engaged in the game to be able to get a read. Also need to hear more from @SportPonies at some point to even attempt there, though I haven't minded her contributions so far. Would like to hear more from @Dinashadow today as well.

• Hmm

Did you ever come up with those reads I asked for or are you going to yeet me again today?
Grandma used to say "he will lose the crop". Used it when someone was too busy doing other stuff to take care of the "crop". I assume it means work.

I feel like I have been through this thread twice and missed your post asking for reads. I will try to find it and get to it today. I assume you are just asking in general about others? I got struck by lightning yesterday and I'm a bit scatterbrained. o_O

I'm talented and can actually do both!!! LOL

Grandma used to say "he will lose the crop". Used it when someone was too busy doing other stuff to take care of the "crop". I assume it means work.

I feel like I have been through this thread twice and missed your post asking for reads. I will try to find it and get to it today. I assume you are just asking in general about others? I got struck by lightning yesterday and I'm a bit scatterbrained. o_O

Just FYI, the Threadloom search function that the forum has can make finding specific posts much faster and easier.

The queen is probably not in this game. The whole village win con is to protect her right? It would make things a bit difficult if she was actually in the game.
One of the writeups has a line that makes me think the queen could be in the game.

• Hmm
night one.png

It had been a frustrating day for Lilibet. Things had gotten all together uncivilized, and despite her desire to pour everyone a proverbial cup of calming tea (so they could carry on), her blasted teapot had gone missing. Unfortunately, the security in Buckingham Palace has always been a little lacking, to say the least. An intruder broke in again and murdered the monarch in her bed.
(Come on, palace guards... maybe a little less changing and a little more guarding??)

Dead is
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
~
In Parliament, an epic battle was underway. The Prime Minister was unflinchingly pushing her radical economic policies, which caused an utter outrage amongst her staunchly traditionalist party. One leader, who had some very traditional ideas about right and wrong, decided that was enough. The sword swung and sliced her in two, while all of Westminster looked on in horror.

Dead is
MARGARET THATCHER
Who could steamroll the opposition by closing voting early 2x during the game.
~
A drunken bard wandered through the streets of Stratford-Upon-Avon with a skull in his hand, wondering when he was going to finally start getting some recognition for his art, gosh darn it.
He was found the next morning behind the Midsommer set with a large gash in his side. As he gasped, he cried out: "No, ’tis not so deep as a well nor so wide as a church-door, but ’tis enough, ’twill serve. Ask for me tomorrow, and you shall find me a grave man. I am peppered, I warrant, for this world. A plague o' both your houses! Zounds, a wolf, a rat, a mouse, a cat to scratch a man to death! A braggart, a rogue, a villain that fights by the book of arithmetic!"

Dead is
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE
Whose unparalleled verse graced a write up each cycle.
~
Heed warnings scrawl'd across on crooked page
Kin parry not by sword but vicious tongue
Beware a player, not a man backstage
Though course by curtain ropes men may be swung

Cast eyes away from sound for evil yields
For mules all bray when told to pull the cart
Yet beasts are still of use to till the fields
Bare soil is grown by hands that fake their part

Your clues to me are nat'rally finite
I genuflect alike for kings and queens
The players are both me and what I write
Yet here this tale is not my hand, it seems

But: look you wide for your poetic source

Have secrets shared, but from you divorced
~
But players, violence doth only violence beget
So though death may anon at the cut of the knife
The spirits untamed may laugh still yet
For I will have poetry in my life.

2c2ce2f9fd2d075bae82e6293bb2de91_w200.gif

players and locations.png

ᛈᛚᚪᛁᛖᚱᛋ × ᛚᚩᚳᚪᛏᛡᚾᛋ
Please note roster movement and adjust conversations accordingly.

LONDON
YORKSHIRE & THE NORTH

OXFORD & CAMBRIDGE

CORNWALL
PARTS UNKNOWN

AVALON
@Aprilthearab - Robin Hood, item thief​
@SARdoghandler - Lilibet
@TelemarketingEnigma - Margaret Thatcher, 2x executioner​
@vetmedhead - William Shakespeare, write up modifier​
IT IS NOW DAY TWO.
VOTING ENDS AT 9PM TOMORROW NIGHT.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Which one?

The end of the first stanza in this one:
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
A count for votes is off by sleight of hand,
The search for mayor blocked by a queen,
We pray she still rules strongly o'er the lands

Alas, monarchy falls when wolves abound
Long slender teeth want not for greens nor tortes
When hunger strikes it's village they surround
And queens cannot rule lands with empty courts

Here documented is an ode to death,
A humble shroud of flesh and blood and ink,
Upon the stage, here each our own MacBeth
Who occupied this skull in hand, you think?

Today as night falls fast the games begin

And now the challenge: who is foe or kin?
I can think of a couple explanations for that stanza where the queen isn't in the game, too, but I don't want to discount it.

There are other things in this write up that I've made note of that might be meaningful, but I haven't spent a lot of time on them yet because right now, I don't feel like there's enough evidence to support my tinfoily thoughts at the moment.

We lost a 2x vig...
She was an executioner, not a vig. Pip and I had one in Howwrses; Judgement. Though I can't speak for how the mechanics would work in this game, the Howwrses one had limitations where she could only close vote early after x number of people were voted, so not really a vig at all.

• Hmm
View attachment 333749

It had been a frustrating day for Lilibet. Things had gotten all together uncivilized, and despite her desire to pour everyone a proverbial cup of calming tea (so they could carry on), her blasted teapot had gone missing. Unfortunately, the security in Buckingham Palace has always been a little lacking, to say the least. An intruder broke in again and murdered the monarch in her bed.
(Come on, palace guards... maybe a little less changing and a little more guarding??)

Dead is
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
~

With all that money you think they could afford better security

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
With all that money you think they could afford better security
How the hell was the queen murdered in bed!!!!! If there's a protector/ bodyguard in this game (not role fishing) you messed up big time. Why did you guys not protect SAR when it was obvious that she was a royal?

• Hmm
We lost a 2x vig...
... that’s not a vig?
No matter what it was, screw who ever killed TE. She was one of my trusted PM partners.

I think I was seered last night? Someone gave me candy until I was sick and told them about my life plans.

• Hmm

Does anyone on thread seem off to you? It doesn't even have to be on thread, it could be in PMs. PMs are a great way for people to fish for roles, especially out of new players. Has anybody you've been PMing seemed super fishy like they were trying to get info out of you?

... that’s not a vig?
No matter what it was, screw who ever killed TE. She was one of my trusted PM partners.

I think I was seered last night? Someone gave me candy until I was sick and told them about my life plans.
You're the Prime Minister so they are going to seer you

I’m good with that. I expected it but the write up just wasn’t the clearest on seering.

anyone get anything stolen from them last night?
the thief (april) died

4 3 players changed groups last night, too. I don't know about the others, but the PM I got said that a Dartmoor pony came up to me and insisted I had to visit Cornwall.

Edited to fix the number.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
4 players changed groups last night, too. I don't know about the others, but the PM I got said that a Dartmoor pony came up to me and insisted I had to visit Cornwall.
Which players were those and to where?