-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
George Washington vs. Temple
Started by ravster08
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Temple... the new facilities and lack of probation give it the nod.
I interviewed at both.
Really did like GW, although the probation thing was a concern. Love DC, and GW is in a good area of DC. Like the track thing. Students seem happy. Main drawback for me was the 8-5 class schedule.
Was not a huge fan of Temple, although that was my last interview, so I may have been suffering from interviewee burnout. Students didn't seem as happy and I didn't like that the students were all split up during clerkship years. Did not seem to have as many opportunities for international travel and away clerkships as GW did.
Really did like GW, although the probation thing was a concern. Love DC, and GW is in a good area of DC. Like the track thing. Students seem happy. Main drawback for me was the 8-5 class schedule.
Was not a huge fan of Temple, although that was my last interview, so I may have been suffering from interviewee burnout. Students didn't seem as happy and I didn't like that the students were all split up during clerkship years. Did not seem to have as many opportunities for international travel and away clerkships as GW did.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at both as well and I'm going with Temple. I felt like Temple was a better fit and I felt more comfortable choosing Temple over GW due to facilities, overall attitude of the students, and the whole probation issue. Although DC is a great city, I just don't feel like GW is a wise choice at this time. Also, Temple isn't too far from DC and I can go visit when I have a chance.
temple. clinicals are pretty strong too and if you want to do research you can just head over to penn.

cant you say the same thing about going to GWU and going to Philly? but yea, I have made that drive from Philly to DC before and its definitely not worth it. You would have to go earlier in the day whereas you could easily go to AC and NYC w/ less of a drive (and cheaper) and they are open for much longer and more fun
I interviewed at both as well and I'm going with Temple. I felt like Temple was a better fit and I felt more comfortable choosing Temple over GW due to facilities, overall attitude of the students, and the whole probation issue. Although DC is a great city, I just don't feel like GW is a wise choice at this time. Also, Temple isn't too far from DC and I can go visit when I have a chance.

cant you say the same thing about going to GWU and going to Philly? but yea, I have made that drive from Philly to DC before and its definitely not worth it. You would have to go earlier in the day whereas you could easily go to AC and NYC w/ less of a drive (and cheaper) and they are open for much longer and more fun
At this point any school >>>>>> GW it seems. The probation and extremely high costs worry me. I would never go to GW ever unless it was the only med school that accepted me.
Hopefully, probation thing will be lifted once we are ready to matriculate.
Go to Temple; no question.
Regarding GW, this topic has been talked to death in other threads, but the probation should be lifted in the next year or two. Entering students shouldn't focus on the fact that GW is on probation, but rather WHY this happened. From small issues, like a lack of student study spaces, to bigger ones, like a lack of oversight on 3rd and 4th year rotations, there has been a huge disconnect between the students and the administration. Furthermore, the administration has gone to great lengths to hide the more pressing issues, instead publically noting those that seem insignificant. It is for these reasons that one should be wary of GW now and for the next few years.
Regarding GW, this topic has been talked to death in other threads, but the probation should be lifted in the next year or two. Entering students shouldn't focus on the fact that GW is on probation, but rather WHY this happened. From small issues, like a lack of student study spaces, to bigger ones, like a lack of oversight on 3rd and 4th year rotations, there has been a huge disconnect between the students and the administration. Furthermore, the administration has gone to great lengths to hide the more pressing issues, instead publically noting those that seem insignificant. It is for these reasons that one should be wary of GW now and for the next few years.
I should' have mentioned this when I started the tread: I'm not at all concerned about GW being on probation ( I don't think you all should be either. Most schools are, at one point, on probation including Jefferson, Rosalind Franklin, even NU way back in the day)
I was more concerned about things like what you thought about curriculum, rotations etc.
Thanks for the replies so far.
I was more concerned about things like what you thought about curriculum, rotations etc.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Can someone explain what probation people are talking about on this thread?
thanks.
thanks.
George Washington was put on probation. Here is an article in the Washington Post about the probation:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/22/AR2009022202031.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/22/AR2009022202031.html
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at both.
Really did like GW, although the probation thing was a concern. Love DC, and GW is in a good area of DC. Like the track thing. Students seem happy. Main drawback for me was the 8-5 class schedule.
Was not a huge fan of Temple, although that was my last interview, so I may have been suffering from interviewee burnout. Students didn't seem as happy and I didn't like that the students were all split up during clerkship years. Did not seem to have as many opportunities for international travel and away clerkships as GW did.
Keep in mind that it's hard to have 180+ students in the hospital every day ...that requires TONS of faculty. Also, lots of students chose their locations for different reasons: some want to work in rural settings and some have their support networks located outside of Philly. It's true that Temple could do better with their international programs...that was a HUGE plus for GW when I visited last year but Temple is working on improving that aspect 🙂
SUNY Buffalo was on probation once too. I feel like now might be the best time to attend GWU because I guarantee they have all their ducks in a row now and they are going to keep a very close watch on things for the next few years (playing devil's advocate a little so this thread isn't one sided). A university on a $1 billion endowment does not want to lose its medical program and will do everything it can to get on track.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.