How to Get AWWay with Murder Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think tinkerer is a fantastic role for a hydra tbh. It's stressful coming up with items sometimes!
Yup. Brain + vodka or whisky get lonely at times. But oh, the places you will go!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey Finn, curious why the safehouse was changed to be single use. Was it considered overpowered? I totally get it if so but the secret little chaos part of me was really hoping for shenanigans it would cause hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
The quotes are all probably out of whack so I will need to edit, but these were the versions we dreamed up. ;)
Illegal wiretap- You can tap the phone of a person of your choosing. Since a whole night's info might be a lot to digest, you will be provided with a quick transcript.
(AKA, mod response could look like:
"You hear 2 male voices chatting about what they can learn using a *static* ability." Or "multiple voices heard discussing what sounds like a hanging? The name Farmdoggo appears multiple times" (Since it is non seering, it is up to mods what they will edit out or if they are willing to disclose mentioned abilities and names and such, but I think the gist should be apparent even if all the people talk about is ice cream and puppies) The other option would be to copy paste a chunk of convo or just one side, but I think a quick transcript, less than 3 sentences would be easiest) This can be used on groups or individuals, but will only work in the group if the individual target you choose speaks to their group (aka, the call is made)

Then we could also make it a:
Legal wiretap- You can record a chunk of your conversation with someone else and send it to a friend (they would have to write their transcript) provided you warn the other party or "beep" at least every 3-5 posts. All parties names you choose to identify will appear on the transcript with this option.

Then the people have the choice of what to use their recording device for between the 2
Oh, and as the installation crew, I think it is only right that we know where we install the device when it is used. (Just which group the target was in would be perfect!)
That never happened, but we tried!
Case Law Library (ask a mod)

Good students study. And Annalise will ride your ass if you don't know your tort. Hit the books my friend. Maybe you can find the answer to the right question and have it ready for Annalise in class tomorrow.
Incriminating Evidence - Oh no! Someone left some very incriminating evidence on your doorstep today! You need to spend the night hiding this by shipping it off for someone else to deal with. Choose who you would like to send this to, and know it will take the rest of the night to get it there without being seen so you cannot plan anything else with your time.

(Full night block of all actions. We, the item's makers know that the evidence is false because we, of course, made it up. Therefore, if it were to be sent to us, it has no effect except for telling us who it went to while it was gone [fingerprint tracing?]. Left in circulation until someone dies with it or someone is seered with it in their possession as then the evidence will be 'known', each person who receives it chooses who to send it to next)

Night Vision Binoculars - Great for doing some night vision recon! Using these will give you a definitive yes or no answer as to whether your target used an item or performed a night action. 50% chance of also telling you who they used the item/action on. (Left in circulation, RNG distribution)

Mods, here is our submitted item for tonight:

Safehouse -
You receive a message from a friend letting you know the location of tomorrow's safe house. Safehouses change often, so it is only good for one day. Do you follow your friend's advice? There is only one rule, you may never talk about the safehouse to anyone under any circumstances (PM or on thread) or it will be compromised.

If they choose to use it: You find yourself in a small house in a non-descript part of town with a fully equipped escape room. Finally, you can let your guard down and relax.

(This would be a daytime lynch avoidance item so if someone chose to use it they could not be lynched the next day, though the item never tells them this. If they mention the safehouse either on thread or in a PM they are injured in an attack which causes them to be silenced immediately upon mod noticing for a full cycle and the item dies. RNG during the night cycle until the item dies.)

Mods, item submission for tonight:

images

"Some sort of voodoo penis"
You have been gifted by the mod gods (just for one night so don't let it go to your head) with the best libido ever. You love sex, others love sex with you. Point that libido at the target of your choice and prepare for the consequences. Or, you know, don't.

(If the item is used on a villager, they are blessed with the most wonderful night of their lives and the post restriction of repeating the user's name at least every other post (meaning no punishment for missing a few... unless you want to spank them, you naughty mods you;)). If used on a non-villager, same amazing night, but the target has to lynch the user as their post restriction. (obsession taken to an unhealthy level). Person using the voodoo penis does not know about these effects, only we do and after we send it away, we don't know who gets it but have to use our own smarts to figure it out on thread.)
Best one!

Security System - What a deal you found in the local paper! There can't be anything sketchy about that, right? So, it's cheap. No big deal. Unfortunately, the alarm itself doesn't work all that great but the cameras are solid! You can choose to install this in your house for one night and see who visited you that night, though the company seems to have not put the cameras in focus very well so you can't quite make out what they're doing at your house...

(Like the wiretap, we of course are installing this for our friends out there so we have a chance (when the silent alarm actually works properly... we're very bad at installing things) of turning the camera feed on to see who visited. Since we are very bad at installing security, this would be rare at about 20% of the time it is used. If this isn't cool mods then feel free to edit that part out, can't blame a Farmdoggo for tryin)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think tinkerer is a fantastic role for a hydra tbh. It's stressful coming up with items sometimes!
That's where having a PM buddy can help too. make every item have a tagline that if your partner gets it it, acme explodes ala Wile. E. Coyote style if wolfe would be fun. muahahaha

zGZg56.gif

By the way, I'm so sorry @StartingoverVet. I legitimately checked my PM the first day at 4am when I got up (long story) and then didn't have a chance to check in until like... 6PM, totally forgot. And then was a couple drinks in last night when I got chided for not fulfilling the post restriction, so 100% forgot again. Hope it was okay when I finally got around. :p

Oh, and was the safe house MJ's van? Or what was that if we were the only ones who got #Reasons?

Mod discretion. The items were to have one basic function and I consider "post restrction" and "seering" to be two different functions. I picked one.

I was surprised you guys never made the trophy an item.
But it was a seering item that reported back around the mods rather than through them. The post restriction was just the dye of the test. Besides, it sounds like you had someone else giving out post restrictions already.

I grump, but only because of coolness factor. It wasn't like we got it into the game in time to be useful. :(

Thank you mods for giving us the gift of this game!

Are you looking in blood? So do you need a way to see spores and not other cells?
Currently looking at pure culture, just trying to use flow for enumeration (and distinguishing between live and dead spores) rather than the typical hemocytometry.

However, the whole point of the project is to develop a method they can use to quickly enumerate spores in shedding rate experiments, in which case there would be other junk in the sample (skin cells and whatever else), so eventually do need to make sure we're only counting spores.

As much as it can suck from an analysis standpoint, I do feel there is benefit from teaming up sometimes. Breaking thought pattern habits is freeing. haha
I'm toying with the idea of future team-ups having a designated thread poster. Or some other way to keep the benefits of the team up without the detriment to analysis. But idk.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm toying with the idea of future team-ups having a designated thread poster. Or some other way to keep the benefits of the team up without the detriment to analysis. But idk.
the only way to see if something is a good idea is to execute it, to failure or success. Or failure to adjustments to success. Or to failure to adjustments to failure. and so on and so forth. lol

the only way to see if something is a good idea is to execute it, to failure or success. Or failure to adjustments to success. Or to failure to adjustments to failure. and so on and so forth. lol
That's why I keep doing this modding thing ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
But it was a seering item that reported back around the mods rather than through them. The post restriction was just the dye of the test. Besides, it sounds like you had someone else giving out post restrictions already.

I grump, but only because of coolness factor. It wasn't like we got it into the game in time to be useful. :(

Thank you mods for giving us the gift of this game!
Tbh it would have been a little much to essentially have you guys functioning as an additional affiliation seer in the game when the village affiliation seer was still alive. Same reason we cut down the chance of a block on the evidence item, there were already two blockers still in the game.

I would totally do this! I love being behind the scenes plotting but posting on the thread stresses me in case I say something dumb. 100% volunteer as tribute for the behind the scenes half of a hydra

Reactions: 2 users
Currently looking at pure culture, just trying to use flow for enumeration (and distinguishing between live and dead spores) rather than the typical hemocytometry.

However, the whole point of the project is to develop a method they can use to quickly enumerate spores in shedding rate experiments, in which case there would be other junk in the sample (skin cells and whatever else), so eventually do need to make sure we're only counting spores.
Purely out of curiosity, is there an easy marker to separate out the junk vs dead cells vs live spores or is that part of the problem?

I am just thinking about how we actually had to get all the sperm sliding the exact same direction past the lasers using a flat plane to do live / dead counts and sex sorting. I was wondering if there is a wash protocol or a way to challenge the flow that would help you in the same way.

I know nothing but gametes. :shrug:

Tbh it would have been a little much to essentially have you guys functioning as an additional affiliation seer in the game when the village affiliation seer was still alive. Same reason we cut down the chance of a block on the evidence item, there were already two blockers still in the game.
That's fair. That's also why I made it just village/ non-village, but still totally fair.

I just would have been labelling everybody village based on what I thought was going on. Kara having it pointed at her was excellent at letting me know something was up though... so maybe I would have figured it out faster than I am giving myself credit for. Hmmm, things to think about for when I get behind the curtain next.

Glad you had a good night Kara :naughty:

Wow. That was a fast game! Great job village!

PS: Look guys, Snowy was a villager. :hilarious:

And the most unhelpful/forgetful of village trackers at that :laugh: I think I forgot to submit night actions twice in the short time of the game. Glad y'all didn't need me haha.

Wow...poor wolves...a real endangered species this game.

Wolves bad it so bad tbey couldnt even get me lyn hed as chaos. Thats a first.

Btw..i had only one death avoidance...i could have been killed...but figured you wouldnt botber again.

Hey Finn, curious why the safehouse was changed to be single use. Was it considered overpowered? I totally get it if so but the secret little chaos part of me was really hoping for shenanigans it would cause hahaha

There were already two living players with a lynch avoidance at the time (Caiter and Coopah). I though adding a third every single day was too much--althoughh the game started with three because SOV had a death avoidance too. His was used by then.

Reactions: 1 users
And the most unhelpful/forgetful of village trackers at that :laugh: I think I forgot to submit night actions twice in the short time of the game. Glad y'all didn't need me haha.
Aww. Village me kept our tracker a lil safer. :love:

Btw..i had only one death avoidance...i could have been killed...but figured you wouldnt botber again.
My heart is never in lynching chaos (which is why I got so grumpy at STL claiming I was "pushing" your lynch yesterday. Nah. Never. Just chuffed to have noticed something was up). Even bringing you up last night I told Pip privately that I hoped - but doubted - you'd gotten your win condition.

Yay good job village! I had a lot of fun this game, glad I decided to signed up last minute. Thanks for the game mods!!

I'm kinda sad the one game I don't die I had a death avoidance lol.

I've never been lynched with that type of role either. Not even the risky one where you take someone with you.

Purely out of curiosity, is there an easy marker to separate out the junk vs dead cells vs live spores or is that part of the problem?

I am just thinking about how we actually had to get all the sperm sliding the exact same direction past the lasers using a flat plane to do live / dead counts and sex sorting. I was wondering if there is a wash protocol or a way to challenge the flow that would help you in the same way.

I know nothing but gametes. :shrug:
That's part of the problem. We've been using a dye that is supposed to tag all the dead spores but may not actually be getting all of them. Add to that the fact that our kill method may not be 100% effective either...
I'm looking into antibodies today, which would be specific for the zoospores, but (probably?) wouldn't solve the live vs dead problem.

And yeah the motile zoospores have flagella so the orientation as they pass the lasers might be causing an issue too.

I was laughing a bit over here.... I figured you had to be thinking I was a wolf since you were outted as chaos and I wasn't going after you to lynch you since historically I am FIRMLY in favor of lynching anything non-villager.

I was laughing a bit over here.... I figured you had to be thinking I was a wolf since you were outted as chaos and I wasn't going after you to lynch you since historically I am FIRMLY in favor of lynching anything non-villager.
I am too, unless there is a known wolf we need to get rid of first.

Whoa, I missed the end. Shout out to @Coopah for drunkenly sending me to kill someone that actually ended up being a wolf! I can't believe my trust paid off for once. Not that I don't just enjoy killin' anyways
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Whoa, I missed the end. Shout out to @Coopah for drunkenly sending me to kill someone that actually ended up being a wolf! I can't believe my trust paid off for once. Not that I don't just enjoy killin' anyways

I'm kinda in that boat. When I'm an assassin I'm basically that crazy armed hillbilly who shoots the first person that walks through the bushes making noise.

Reactions: 3 users
You did kill Santa that one time, so... ;)

Good job, village! Ironically I don't think any of us wolves did anything spectacularly stupid, y'all were just on point with using your abilities (STL's gambit, the assassin kill, Filly catching two wolves...) and picking up on our subtle sketchiness! And that Mr. Coop lynch was just luck. :p

Whoever mods the next game, PLEASE re-roll if RNG makes me a wolf! This was the third time in a row for me, it's too damn stressful. :laugh:

Good job, village! Ironically I don't think any of us wolves did anything spectacularly stupid, y'all were just on point with using your abilities (STL's gambit, the assassin kill, Filly catching two wolves...) and picking up on our subtle sketchiness! And that Mr. Coop lynch was just luck. :p

Whoever mods the next game, PLEASE re-roll if RNG makes me a wolf! This was the third time in a row for me, it's too damn stressful. :laugh:

Noted. Lynch Cyndia, Lynch Lyra. Always wolves.

Got it.

Reactions: 5 users