Howard Admissions Stats: URM or Overall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that Howard's med school has slightly lower average GPAs and MCAT scores than other schools for accepted students.

My question is, are these averages lower, simply because Howard accepts a lot of URMs, or are these averages a useful guide for non-URMs applying to Howard, as well?

I'm a non-URM and I'm interested in Howard because it is close to home and is in DC, where I will likely be practicing medicine for the rest of my life, so going there will train me to practice medicine in under-served communities, which DC has a lot of. However, it is hard for me to gauge just how good my chances are of admission because while my stats are slightly higher than their averages, I'm also non-URM (I'm "asian").

Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed that Howard's med school has slightly lower average GPAs and MCAT scores than other schools for accepted students.

My question is, are these averages lower, simply because Howard accepts a lot of URMs, or are these averages a useful guide for non-URMs applying to Howard, as well?

I'm a non-URM and I'm interested in Howard because it is close to home and is in DC, where I will likely be practicing medicine for the rest of my life, so going there will train me to practice medicine in under-served communities, which DC has a lot of. However, it is hard for me to gauge just how good my chances are of admission because while my stats are slightly higher than their averages, I'm also non-URM (I'm "asian").

Anyone know?

I think the stats is for overall admission. Howard has a mission to train URMs, however, they are not exclusive. It's really not your stats you should be worried about. Rather try finding a way to connect with the school's mission (enriching underserved pops.) in your PS, essay and interview if you get one. That's the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.