In State/ Out of State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hks0209

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know which schools only accept people from within the state and which schools accept whoever? if anybody could help me out, i would GREATLY appreciate it. i want to apply to a bunch of the DO schools but i dont want to waste $$. thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

hks0209 said:
Does anybody know which schools only accept people from within the state and which schools accept whoever? if anybody could help me out, i would GREATLY appreciate it. i want to apply to a bunch of the DO schools but i dont want to waste $$. thanks for your help!

I think overall, there is not too much preference because they are considered private. I want to say that the schools in Texas and Michigan favor instate, but I am not even sure. I know a couple of the schools in the east seemed to favor those from the Appalacian region and the school in New England favored their region as well.

Oh....how could I forget OHIO!!!! If you apply out of state there, you have to sign a contract to work there for awhile after. Others going to that school can probably give more detail.

Wait untill you get a couple more responses, I might have been wrong on a few things here.

Good luck :thumbup:

hks0209 said:
Also, you can go to your library and get, I think it is barron's book of medical colleges, and look up the ratios in in/out of staters. This is what I did.

Or look on the websites...they must have the stats.

If it is like 50:50 go for it....if it is 90:10, you might not want to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found much of this information on the web pages. Most of the schools are pretty open. Also, for the schools that I wanted information that I could not find--I called or emailed them. I had overall positive responses from all of the schools I called and showed interest in.

You may also want to look at a bookstore, often they will have books/magazines that would give you this information without have to purchase.

In general, all of the private schools are more willing to accept out of state people--if you want to apply to a "bunch" of DO schools, this may narrow your list enough right here.

dr.z said:
TCOM must accept at least 90% from in-state (Texas).
MSUCOM is pretty much the same, with a required >80-90% in-state, I can't remember which. The ridiculously high tuition for out-of-state students helps to reduce the number of applicants and eventual matriculants though.

dr.z said:
TCOM must accept at least 90% from in-state (Texas).

Yes!!! I thought so :p I knew there was a reason I didn't apply to the school. It is very good there from what I read.

subtle1epiphany said:
MSUCOM is pretty much the same, with a required >80-90% in-state, I can't remember which. The ridiculously high tuition for out-of-state students helps to reduce the number of applicants and eventual matriculants though.
ditto