IS anyone on here a student at OHSU in Portland, Oregon.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phagefighter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello med students! I am really interested in the med school in Portland but I've emailed the contact information on the website a couple times and haven't got a response. Would anybody be willing to answer some questions for me about the school? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you're from Oregon so you're actually considered. :) I'm from California and wondering why I even wasted my precious time and money on that secondary when they just immediately reject us. (they rejected my sister from their dental school half a year after she already entered the program at Harvard =O

I hope you're from Oregon so you're actually considered. :) I'm from California and wondering why I even wasted my precious time and money on that secondary when they just immediately reject us. (they rejected my sister from their dental school half a year after she already entered the program at Harvard =O

They do consider OOSers. I'm a Californian and was accepted. Not sure how many OOS applicants they actually interview, but all except for 3-4 people (out of ~15 or so) at my interview day were not from Oregon.

Members don't see this ad :)

Nearly half of their class is OOS. For the only school in the whole state they accept about 35 too many OOS applicants. Compare them to UW and OHSU is a breeze to gain acceptance as an OOS applicant. Because of OHSU and their MCAT/GPA stats priority, most Oregon applicants I've known have had to matriculate in other states even though they had pretty decent stats.

Nearly half of their class is OOS. For the only school in the whole state they accept about 35 too many OOS applicants. Compare them to UW and OHSU is a breeze to gain acceptance as an OOS applicant. Because of OHSU and their MCAT/GPA stats priority, most Oregon applicants I've known have had to matriculate in other states even though they had pretty decent stats.

You are right, OHSU is much friendlier to OOS students than most state schools. OHSU routinely kicks qualified Oregon applicants to the curb in favor of OOS applicants. Kind of a kick in the groin to the taxpayers of Oregon who help pay for the education of OOS students who leave after they receive their MD. A stupid public policy in my opinion.

You are right, OHSU is much friendlier to OOS students than most state schools. OHSU routinely kicks qualified Oregon applicants to the curb in favor of OOS applicants. Kind of a kick in the groin to the taxpayers of Oregon who help pay for the education of OOS students who leave after they receive their MD. A stupid public policy in my opinion.

Western Univ. is starting a DO school in Oregon which should alleviate this problem (the NW physician shortage problem, not the OHSU policy problem). From the looks of it, it will be focused on students who are from and want to practice in the NW. I imagine it will cost a lot since it will be private, but OHSU already charges in the mid 30's for in state tuition and mid 40's for OOS so even the high price won't matter if you have to go to school in Oregon. Soon there will be more Oregon DO grads than MD grads. Good thing Oregon seems to be DO friendly.

Hello med students! I am really interested in the med school in Portland but I've emailed the contact information on the website a couple times and haven't got a response. Would anybody be willing to answer some questions for me about the school? Thank you!

You most likely never will either. The people here are very snooty.

Western Univ. is starting a DO school in Oregon which should alleviate this problem (the NW physician shortage problem, not the OHSU policy problem). From the looks of it, it will be focused on students who are from and want to practice in the NW. I imagine it will cost a lot since it will be private, but OHSU already charges in the mid 30's for in state tuition and mid 40's for OOS so even the high price won't matter if you have to go to school in Oregon. Soon there will be more Oregon DO grads than MD grads. Good thing Oregon seems to be DO friendly.

That is great. I recall reading something about this last year. Oregon has a critical need for primary care physicians - the need is much greater than in most other states, especially in Eastern Oregon which is rural.

Will the DO school be in Lebanon, Oregon? When is it scheduled to open? OHSU does a great job of educating primary care physicians but many of them leave the state after they finish their training due to OHSU's love affair with OOS students.

That is great. I recall reading something about this last year. Oregon has a critical need for primary care physicians - the need is much greater than in most other states, especially in Eastern Oregon which is rural.

Will the DO school be in Lebanon, Oregon? When is it scheduled to open? OHSU does a great job of educating primary care physicians but many of them leave the state after they finish their training due to OHSU's love affair with OOS students.
I am an Oregon resident that chose not to apply to OHSU because I'm not interested in primary care, paying $37,000 "in state tuition," or being in a class with an average age of 26. That being said, I don't think it is entirely fair to blame OHSU for its dependency on OOS students to pay the bills. The Oregon state legislature does a pretty poor job of supporting OHSU and the entire Oregon university system. The Lebanon school seems interesting, but students would definitely need to do clinical rotations all over the state because there is nothing close to a medical center there.

I am an Oregon resident that chose not to apply to OHSU because I'm not interested in primary care, paying $37,000 "in state tuition," or being in a class with an average age of 26. That being said, I don't think it is entirely fair to blame OHSU for its dependency on OOS students to pay the bills. The Oregon state legislature does a pretty poor job of supporting OHSU and the entire Oregon university system. The Lebanon school seems interesting, but students would definitely need to do clinical rotations all over the state because there is nothing close to a medical center there.

I do agree with your point about the Oregon legislature - a group of chimpanzees would be more effective than those bozos. Higher education is not a priority in Oregon which is poor economic policy and stupid short term thinking.

The new DO school in Lebanon will have to arrange for clinical rotations in Portland, Corvallis, and Eugene, I'm sure.

why not? :( us "old" people gettin ya down?

The new school is supposed to be accepting applications this June, but I drove by twice this week (went to Bend via Lebanon) and they are just starting construction. The current Western students in Oregon do their rotations in Corvallis, Lebanon, Albany, Newport, and Portland from what I gather. I imagine it will pretty much stay that way too.

If you ever look through the residency program in Corvallis they do all of their ICU rotations at Emanuel Hospital in Portland because it is a level 1 trauma center. About half of the residency spots formed right now are not primary care, and they are still adding Gen. Surg.

Status
Not open for further replies.