2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wowwwww my alternate number is heinous hahaha

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
So did I read that email correct and they will start updating the alternate list starting Monday?

Wowwwww my alternate number is heinous hahaha
Indeed. I'm taking it as a rejection and hope to get feedback.

Does anyone have advice on clinical opportunities in pandemic times?

I had a poor MMI experience and I'm pretty sure I botched it, but I think I am also weak in expressing why medicine and not research/pathology through clinical experiences. Despite working in healthcare (and OHSU :1poop:) for a looong time, the bulk of my work has been very indirect patient care (nature of pathology).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So did I read that email correct and they will start updating the alternate list starting Monday?
The email I received says, "the status of the alternate list will be online by late-May," but it sounds like we need to indicate whether or not we want to remain on the alternate list at some point next week. I assume they will send an email or post a portal update about this . . .

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone still not hear anything? No email and portal still says I’m on hold...maybe they forgot about me

Anyone still not hear anything? No email and portal still says I’m on hold...maybe they forgot about me
My portal still says hold, but the final decision (in my case, alternate list) should be at the very bottom of the page. I know it's been said earlier on this thread that you have to scroll all the way down on the portal, but I wanted to write this in case you didn't see those posts. I'm rooting for you!

Calling all accepted students who are committing to OHSU. I was trying to find a way to start connecting with other incoming students and I have not yet found something, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling and make a discord server. (If you are not familiar with discord, it is an awesome free platform that allows for text/voice/video/streaming/ and more.). Please consider joining and spread the word to any other class of 2025 students you know. Link:Join the OHSU Class of 2025 Discord Server!

Reactions: 2 users
Email Kari and she will point you in the right direction - usually they put together a list of people and when things quiet down after decisions are made they start reaching out
Do they provide feedback for people very high on the waitlist?

Nosebleed waitlist lmao. Looks like I'll be withdrawing. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to all with solid WL spots!

Calling all accepted students who are committing to OHSU. I was trying to find a way to start connecting with other incoming students and I have not yet found something, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling and make a discord server. (If you are not familiar with discord, it is an awesome free platform that allows for text/voice/video/streaming/ and more.). Please consider joining and spread the word to any other class of 2025 students you know. Link:Join the OHSU Class of 2025 Discord Server!
Congrats on the A! There is a Facebook group up and running which has a ton of awesome resources by the current M1s. You should be getting an email invitation soon but I think you can find it/request to be added as well: “OHSU Med25 Admitted Students”

Do they provide feedback for people very high on the waitlist?
I'm honestly not sure if there are any specifications for who can get feedback. My advice would be to ask and worst scenario they say no, but that would surprise me.

Congrats on the A! There is a Facebook group up and running which has a ton of awesome resources by the current M1s. You should be getting an email invitation soon but I think you can find it/request to be added as well: “OHSU Med25 Admitted Students”
Why do people still use Facebook groups for this stuff? Lol. I haven’t had Facebook since 2010. Are you aware of any other means to connect or should I go ahead and make a Facebook again? Thank you for the info! Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do people still use Facebook groups for this stuff? Lol. I haven’t had Facebook since 2010. Are you aware of any other means to connect or should I go ahead and make a Facebook again? Thank you for the info! Appreciate it!
This^ I only have FB so that I can stay in touch with our classes group and since we're done with didactics I'm pretty close to just deleting it. I would recommend Facebook for the sole purpose of this unfortunately since there will be lots of networking before school and then lots of resource sharing on it (especially between classes) once you get underway.

Also - of note for you all, the current first years just got word that the school is working on a white coat ceremony for them this summer at some point since they didn't get one when they started (traditionally the Friday of orientation week) so optimistically you guys might get one!

• Love
Like PNW said, it’s mostly for networking/sharing resources! There’s some info about getting housing, pre-matriculation requirements, finding roommates, meetings hosted by the M1s, etc. I’d say it’d be pretty beneficial to have! Manifesting_MD also created that Discord group too so thats another resource.

Like PNW said, it’s mostly for networking/sharing resources! There’s some info about getting housing, pre-matriculation requirements, finding roommates, meetings hosted by the M1s, etc. I’d say it’d be pretty beneficial to have! Manifesting_MD also created that Discord group too so thats another resource.

I have mirrored all the resources from the Facebook group on the discord already. So fellow Facebook haters don’t have to use Facebook.

Indeed. I'm taking it as a rejection and hope to get feedback.

Does anyone have advice on clinical opportunities in pandemic times?

I had a poor MMI experience and I'm pretty sure I botched it, but I think I am also weak in expressing why medicine and not research/pathology through clinical experiences. Despite working in healthcare (and OHSU :1poop:) for a looong time, the bulk of my work has been very indirect patient care (nature of pathology).
Clinical experiences in the Portland area:
#1 scribing at OHSU. much of it is in person (2 months off for COVID in my experience)
#2 work as EMT/CNA. You can get an EMT over the summer and have lots of hours starting in September.

good luck!

My waitlist email says "Please go to our admissions portal next week to indicate whether or not you wish to remain on the alternate list. If you choose to remain on the list, we will contact you immediately if a placement can be offered to you. We will also provide daily updates as to where we are on the alternate list on our Admissions Status Portal: https://www.ohsu.edu/som/md/admissions/. The status of the alternate list will be online by late-May. Alternate positions are held through first-year student orientation, which begins on August 9, 2021". However, I do not see anything on the portal where I can indicate I would like to remain on the WL. Has anyone seen anything different about this or have more info?

My waitlist email says "Please go to our admissions portal next week to indicate whether or not you wish to remain on the alternate list. If you choose to remain on the list, we will contact you immediately if a placement can be offered to you. We will also provide daily updates as to where we are on the alternate list on our Admissions Status Portal: https://www.ohsu.edu/som/md/admissions/. The status of the alternate list will be online by late-May. Alternate positions are held through first-year student orientation, which begins on August 9, 2021". However, I do not see anything on the portal where I can indicate I would like to remain on the WL. Has anyone seen anything different about this or have more info?
they probably haven't updated the portal yet for us to indicate. i'm guessing a lot of people on admissions are just now starting their work week, so i am just going to wait a little longer to check the portal.

Clinical experiences in the Portland area:
#1 scribing at OHSU. much of it is in person (2 months off for COVID in my experience)
#2 work as EMT/CNA. You can get an EMT over the summer and have lots of hours starting in September.

good luck!
Thanks! God, that really sucks but I was expecting that.

I'm in a place where the only way I feel I'd be able to do those things would be to quit my job and burn a bridge with my current employer.

I'm in a place where the only way I feel I'd be able to do those things would be to quit my job and burn a bridge with my current employer.
I feel you there, as I am trying not to burn my employer as well. My waitlist position is okay, but not great. I wish you luck.

Another good option is to work at OHSU as a clinical research coordinator/Reseach assistant. They are always hiring and some jobs include the ability to draw blood, meet patients before surgery etc. and you don’t have to complete any prior certifications! Wishing you the best!

Has anyone else not had any update to their portal at all? I emailed admissions with no luck but slightly concerned considering they said everyone's status would be updated by last Friday.

Has anyone else not had any update to their portal at all? I emailed admissions with no luck but slightly concerned considering they said everyone's status would be updated by last Friday.
I've had no update and no emails as well. I emailed then but haven't heard anything. Going to try call today.

Does anyone know how the MD/MPH waitlist works? Are we on our own list or the same as just the MD one?

My unofficial understanding is that both admittances are separate but concurrent, as are the waitlists. In other words, each program has its own waitlist. However, each college may consider your status as dual degree applicant, which may grant you a more preferred status as an applicant (more likely A or lower WL number). I know the school of medicine usually looks favorably upon MPH seekers, but I am not sure how the school of public health views concurrent MD seekers. I would contact the school of public health directly to enquire about your MPH status.

My unofficial understanding is that both admittances are separate but concurrent, as are the waitlists. In other words, each program has its own waitlist. However, each college may consider your status as dual degree applicant, which may grant you a more preferred status as an applicant (more likely A or lower WL number). I know the school of medicine usually looks favorably upon MPH seekers, but I am not sure how the school of public health views concurrent MD seekers. I would contact the school of public health directly to enquire about your MPH status.
Thank you so much, this was very helpful!

Was anyone able to indicate whether they want to remain on the waitlist today? My portal hasn't updated past receiving my alternate decision

Was anyone able to indicate whether they want to remain on the waitlist today? My portal hasn't updated past receiving my alternate decision
I contacted OHSU and they stated IT should be updating the website tomorrow so folks can complete that

Reactions: 3 users
I had to quit a good union job to get clinical experience, so i understand that. You can always try to cold call doctors to shadow.
I feel you there, as I am trying not to burn my employer as well. My waitlist position is okay, but not great. I wish you luck.

I had to quit a good union job to get clinical experience, so i understand that. You can always try to cold call doctors to shadow
Wow! You are on a quest. I thought I was pushing it because I am a certified general appraiser with a permanent position. I don't think the younglings here understand what you just wrote :p

I wish OHSU gave us an update on this whole waitlist process :(

I am not sure what my rank is yet...not sure if I should just move on or keep the faith going a little more ugh :/

• Care
  • Love
Has anyone that applied MD/MPH and placed on the alternate list received their rank? I emailed admissions but haven’t heard anything.

Has anyone that applied MD/MPH and placed on the alternate list received their rank? I emailed admissions but haven’t heard anything.
Not yet, Emailed them also and havent heard back with a rank

Anyone elses portal have a bunch of code displayed?

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone been able to contact OHSU or received any info as to why there is a bunch of code displayed on the portal site? Also how long do we have to indicate our status as to whether we would or wouldn't accept an acceptance before they start moving through the waitlist?

Has anyone been able to contact OHSU or received any info as to why there is a bunch of code displayed on the portal site? Also how long do we have to indicate our status as to whether we would or wouldn't accept an acceptance before they start moving through the waitlist?
Still broken for me. Technically:
(Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers)
"
On or before April 30, permit ALL applicants (except for EDP applicants):
A minimum of two weeks to respond to their acceptance offer.
To hold acceptance offers or a waitlist position from any other schools or programs without penalty (i.e. scholarships).

After April 30:
Permit all applicants:
A minimum of five business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be reduced to a minimum of two business days within 30 days of the start of orientation.
To submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both."

However, I do not believe the time that the system is down is counted against us.

Wow! You are on a quest. I thought I was pushing it because I am a certified general appraiser with a permanent position. I don't think the younglings here understand what you just wrote :p

I had a union job for three years straight after undergrad but quit that and ~ X,000 pay-cut to see if grad school in basic research was for me. Being an RA is a dead-end job unfortunately unless you want to be a lab manager someday.

Last edited:
I had to quit a good union job to get clinical experience, so i understand that. You can always try to cold call doctors to shadow.
The pain.

I'm actually really lucky and have been talking to people for advice. One doc is going to ask if they are okay to bring non-students in for rotations. Meanwhile, I am going to start training to volunteer with a palliative care center.

Another good option is to work at OHSU as a clinical research coordinator/Reseach assistant. They are always hiring and some jobs include the ability to draw blood, meet patients before surgery etc. and you don’t have to complete any prior certifications! Wishing you the best!
I'm applying for other jobs right now! OHSU is quite slow looking through apps....but we all know this ;)

Does anyone want to do an essay swap? This doc said mine wasn't bad, but in the end, he wasn't sure that he had learned anything about me. Which is completely fair. I struggled with writing a cohesive statement about wanting to be a physician as a non-trad who works in medicine-adjacent.

Thank you everyone :)